It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Do I have to be apart of religion to know God?

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 3 2013 @ 01:38 AM
link   
The problem with believing in a god sans a religion is more of a problem
with the definition of god, most religions offer a very rough defined role for
a god character, many times they are similar as in most fiction writing,
that is most likely because they inspired each other so you see idea
sharing and flat out theft of an idea here and there, jesus for example is
most likely based on the god horus, very similar story, born of a virgin,
12 disciples, died and raised from the dead 3 days later, his betrayers
name was judas, things like that.....

so to have your own god per say you must first define what you think
god is, then work from there, so id say yes you can simply make your
own god up, many have in the past, but now its harder unless you
wanna borrow from whats already out there.

posted on Jan, 3 2013 @ 01:46 AM
link   
reply to post by Zarniwoop

any one telling you that you are wrong is wrong only god can do that. Religions [TEACHINGS] are corrrect not the people who claim to be of religion. When applied correctly to perfection and only you can do that within your mind no one els can and who trys to assert it is evil. The lord will remove the veil of illusion a fraction at a time you must simply be willing and know everyone here is connected. Oneness is the key to heaven study all religion and apply it where it needs to go and only you know this no one els dose. It says in the bible they will claim to be the synagogue of the lord but they will be the synagogue of satan, only fully trust your self. duality is duality its simply a roadmap to an endgame nontheless. GL

posted on Jan, 3 2013 @ 02:12 AM
link   
reply to post by LipstickMystic

Im in total agreement with you on this,to me what is worst about this,is that the warm,loving and supportive entity Yahushua(Jesus) is forever tied into this faith,in most people's minds.To the "God" for whom you are never good enough..how can people love that which they fear?You can never truly love that which you live in dread of.Sure,they tell themselves they love God,and thats why they try not to sin,or treat others horribly.But they follow the rulebook out of Fear,not out of love.Because to piss of That vengeful overlord is like royally pissing of a Mafia godfather..or rather,the NSA in its entirety.I have felt Yahushua,and let me tell you,at such a time the whole concept of fear and the "not good enough" syndrome instantaneously vanish.When one experiences perfect unconditional love,more warmth,goodwill,tolerance and support than words can ever convey-the evil lies+the mental enslavement of religion becomes impossible to overlook.I don't claim to know the whole deal with how we ended up with the Bible in the form it is-to me,it does contain some universal truths,if some parts are taken as a code to live by,such as love thy neighbour as thyself,etc. (New Testament) however,i think its more useful as a clue to the PHYSICAL origins of the human race(Old Testament) Anyway,the toothpaste can never be put back into the tube.Because when ultimate Truth touches you,it snaps you out of the matrix.The sad thing,i think most people will always be too afraid,to go out on a limb of "unfaith" and test for themselves,what lies beyond the religion they have been brought up with.What REALLY is there,and what is not.So,they cannot progress spiritually or attain any measure of being at real peace with Themselves as Souls-and they stay "contracted in" to the lie,and are doomed to spend their lives fearing an eternity of suffering for not toeing the party line.

posted on Jan, 3 2013 @ 02:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by jhill76
I hear from all sides about the right path, or following the right rules.

The Christians will tell you Jesus is the only way.
The Muslims will tell their way is the true way.
And then various other sects all in between.

Is is possible I can know of God by going to him directly, without religion?

If I follow religion, I have to be holy to their standards, and not what I feel in my heart.

Is it possible to make it into the gates or hereafter, while having a one on one with God?

As a self labeled Christian that believes that Jesus Christ is my Lord and Savior...I'm going to tell you No. No you do not have to be a certain religion to know God our Father. He is the Father of all, not the Father of a specific religion.

Religion is something created by man with a specific set of "man"-dards(standards) which we must meet in order to be holy. EEEEEE this is wrong from the very beginning.

Man seems to think he can do enough good things or abide by enough rules that God will somehow appreciate it and reward him. However, God KNOWS we're not holy. He knows we make mistakes. He knows we're human....He doesn't expect us to live by guidelines that He KNOWS we can't fulfill. That's just insanity.

What the Father wants from us is humility. He wants us to acknowledge the very same thing that He acknowledges...ie the fact that doing "good things" or following a specific set of guidelines gets us absolutely NOWHERE. What He wants is for us to believe in Him and trust in Him.

Now...I AM a Christian as I said...and I'm going to tell you...you're probably better off searching for God without the instruction of any particular individual from any particular religion....that being said, no need to heed my advice either...

To sum it up, I think whatever you decide to do...as long as you do it with honest intentions, truly seeking to know Him...then He will kindly reveal Himself to you...and who knows...you might learn things you never would have any other way....

A2D
(Sorry for the ramble)

edit on 3-1-2013 by Agree2Disagree because: to add: When we acknowledge that we make mistakes and are human...He doesn't want us to dwell on that...He doesn't want us to feel like we are unworthy...He just wants us to recognise our NEED for him. Children need parents...easy as that.

posted on Jan, 3 2013 @ 02:47 AM
link   
I often feel much more religious than that of the religious people I know.
Many go to church, pray to their god, and do come across like lovely people. Though, many are as I say it, ignorantly faithful. They have not found religion or god, they have had it shoved down their throat from a young age and simple conditioned to believe, whether it is based in a real feeling of belief or not.

I have studied the bible and been to churches, Catholic and Christian, had friends that are Muslim and discussed their beliefs with them, and in general searched through various religious texts and talked to the people who "believe" in them.

I personally have found the most fulfilling ideas to be in Gnostic and in Buddhism (which I consider more of a lifestyle than an actual religion).

I believe in a God concept, though not the way he is described through the mainstream religions.

Faith, humanity and empathy is confined to no religion. You will find God in nature more so than a man made building created to worship an idea.

posted on Jan, 3 2013 @ 03:12 AM
link   
reply to post by LipstickMystic

Another point on which you are correct-if you live closely to our Mother,this planet Earth,if you don't hurt her,but love and respect her for sustaining us,and want to be closer to her, you find that she is hungry to commune with us.This is one of those times when i absolutely don't care how sh*thouse-fly crazy members of this site think me to be,this Has to be said.When you become open to the possibility of Earth as a sentient being,as a Being in her own right,and start spending time with her,with gratefulness,a desire for communion with her and an open mind-you will experience many moments of profound wonderment,awe really.I feel that with the old days gone,and the majority of people living plastic lives inside the hitech cocoons of their work and homes,she has become lonely.I myself have found,for instance,that when im very sad or upset about a matter,and i go outside to spend time in nature,she soon sends comfort in the form of one/some of her creatures.Because she Knows me,i am not a stranger to her.

posted on Jan, 3 2013 @ 04:00 AM
link   

If I follow religion, I have to be holy to their standards, and not what I feel in my heart.

Is it possible to make it into the gates or hereafter, while having a one on one with God?

its like how the jews dont eat what they call an "Unclean Animal."
same as with hindu's refuse to slaughter or eat the cow they refer to it as "The Mother."

You should go with what i call "Truth within myself."
This is why i like the new age movement.
I view all these religions and the texts as "handbooks." for humanity.
Always follow your heart. Thats what i do.
Ill try to answer your question with an even bigger question?
what if you were God?
www.abovetopsecret.com...
edit on 3-1-2013 by Belcastro because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 3 2013 @ 04:17 AM
link   
Haha I like this post. If I were God as is, I would be one dirty God. At least I have a good heart though=) One day I hope to learn all from him, and not from nasty humans who always betray and abandon.

Originally posted by Belcastro

its like how the jews dont eat what they call an "Unclean Animal."
same as with hindu's refuse to slaughter or eat the cow they refer to it as "The Mother."

You should go with what i call "Truth within myself."
This is why i like the new age movement.
I view all these religions and the texts as "handbooks." for humanity.
Always follow your heart. Thats what i do.
Ill try to answer your question with an even bigger question?
what if you were God?
www.abovetopsecret.com...
edit on 3-1-2013 by Belcastro because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 3 2013 @ 05:17 AM
link   
reply to post by jhill76

IMO i do not think you have to be a apart of a religion to know god, or to be accepted into the gates of heaven. I feel as long as you accept god in your heart truly, then all access will be granted through the gates of heaven. I can be wrong but i doubt that you can be a good person and go through your life the right way and just because you did not have a religion, your doomed for hell but if that is the case then im screwed

posted on Jan, 3 2013 @ 08:38 AM
link   
Only Christianity is true, only ("Eastern") Orthodoxy is true Christianity

Hindu vs Orthodox spirituality:

The Gurus, the Young Man, and Elder Paisios, by Dionysios Farasiotis

Orthodoxy contrasted with other religions including other "forms" of Christianity like the Pentecostal Movement:

Orthodoxy and the Religion of the Future, by Fr. Seraphim Rose

posted on Jan, 3 2013 @ 08:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by TheTruthOnlee
reply to post by jhill76

IMO i do not think you have to be a apart of a religion to know god, or to be accepted into the gates of heaven. I feel as long as you accept god in your heart truly, then all access will be granted through the gates of heaven. I can be wrong but i doubt that you can be a good person and go through your life the right way and just because you did not have a religion, your doomed for hell but if that is the case then im screwed

Yes, you are wrong, Heaven is for sinners saved by grace through faith in the Lord Jesus Christ, Hell is for "good" people.
edit on 3-1-2013 by UnseenWarfare because: typo

posted on Jan, 3 2013 @ 08:45 AM
link   
reply to post by nunya13

I like your approach a lot. No I personally do not think you should have to be connected to a specific religion to have God in your life. If I'm honest, it already sounds like you are quite far as a spiritual person. But who am I?

I also think that people use religion to have power in this world.
(If you allow me to bend your words like that of course!)

Needless to say, some have their eyes wide open, and some have their eyes sealed shut for eternity.

edit on 3/1/13 by novuslibertas because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 3 2013 @ 10:52 AM
link   
I cannot tell you what the name of God is...
I cannot make for you a picture of the face of God...
I do not know which of the religions of our world are true and which are false...

What I can speak of, are my own experiences concerning the world of Spirit...

Once...in a fever...I left my body, but could see as clear as if I were standing awake.
I did not feel my arms or legs, or indeed anything of the original shape of my body...I felt I was a spherical shape.
From this experience I have intuitively learned that the sphere is the "at ease" state of the spirit...

I sense that there is more in the area of "force of will" which effects this base spherical state, but what that "more" is, I cannot say...

I can attest to seeing full bodied ghosts of people who have passed...seen them disappear into solid walls...into the floor, ceiling etc...
Iv'e seen beings I can only describe as angels...tall, radiating light...wearing robes...
Iv'e seen shadow beings as well...

All seem to have the same non-physical abilities...(pass through solids, fleeting views, radiate* light or dark.)
(*ghosts seem a little different in that the ones I've seen don't glow, they actually tend to look rather real, till they blur into a wall or something.)

It is my intuitive belief that our creator is a cosmic size spirit within which we exist as imagined/created beings;
Part of the Creator, and yet apart... Children of our Maker...destined to "make things"; (Which we already do a lot of), infantile consciousness, even in our assumed "adult" state...seeking to grasp, understand and gain control of our surroundings...(the crib).

The value in religion is in it's ability to bring people together in community...

As for God...I feel only a mind of unconditional Love can truly know the infinite fidelity to the continuation of life as we know it, and the minds born of it...

I feel the Creator in the very marrow of my bones...
In the air I breath...the food I eat...the water I drink...
In the Stars that adorn the sky...and in the sparkle of a small child's eyes...
My body is a temple in which I commune with God daily...

Even tho I attend no church...I follow the principles of Christ, not because I fear punishment, but because of that which he espoused...Love.

The two principles I follow, upon which, I feel, all righteousness rests, are:
- Love the Creator(s) with all your heart and soul...
And...
- Love the Creation, along with your Brothers and Sisters within it, including yourself, equally...

To me...any worldly religion which holds the principal of Love highest, is worth investigation...but only the church of your mind has control of your ultimate destiny in Spirit...

"May you walk with Courage under the light of Truth, wrapped in the warmth of Human Love and Dignity, through the Dark Secrets of Forever...and may God be with you...always..."

posted on Jan, 3 2013 @ 11:07 AM
link   
reply to post by Agree2Disagree

Man seems to think he can do enough good things or abide by enough rules that God will somehow appreciate it and reward him. However, God KNOWS we're not holy. He knows we make mistakes. He knows we're human....He doesn't expect us to live by guidelines that He KNOWS we can't fulfill. That's just insanity.

What the Father wants from us is humility. He wants us to acknowledge the very same thing that He acknowledges...ie the fact that doing "good things" or following a specific set of guidelines gets us absolutely NOWHERE. What He wants is for us to believe in Him and trust in Him.

I would have thought the same from your statements. I appreciate the words given here, I hope it helps others as well.

posted on Jan, 3 2013 @ 11:09 AM
link   
reply to post by Khurzon

I can attest to seeing full bodied ghosts of people who have passed...seen them disappear into solid walls...into the floor, ceiling etc... Iv'e seen beings I can only describe as angels...tall, radiating light...wearing robes... Iv'e seen shadow beings as well...

I too can see the same, but while in the body, I know exactly of what you mean from your posts.

The rest of your posts sounds about right for me as well, I appreciate you sharing.

posted on Jan, 3 2013 @ 11:13 AM
link   

I think just about everyone would say yes to your question. I haven't really come across anyone in my life who thinks otherwise, though I'm sure they're out there.

posted on Jan, 3 2013 @ 11:15 AM
link   
reply to post by dogstar23

I think just about everyone would say yes to your question. I haven't really come across anyone in my life who thinks otherwise, though I'm sure they're out there.

I have come across many that plainly state, if you are not in church every Sunday, or proclaiming you are a Christian, then you are of the devil.

posted on Jan, 3 2013 @ 11:49 AM
link   
I have actually come across one who called them self an arch-angel, but that same person flat out lied on several occasions. Its a sad world we live in today with so many people professing to be of God, yet doing the work of Lucifer.

reply to post by dogstar23

I have come across many that plainly state, if you are not in church every Sunday, or proclaiming you are a Christian, then you are of the devil.

posted on Jan, 3 2013 @ 11:51 AM
link   

reply to post by Khurzon

I can attest to seeing full bodied ghosts of people who have passed...seen them disappear into solid walls...into the floor, ceiling etc... Iv'e seen beings I can only describe as angels...tall, radiating light...wearing robes... Iv'e seen shadow beings as well...

I too can see the same, but while in the body, I know exactly of what you mean from your posts.

The rest of your posts sounds about right for me as well, I appreciate you sharing.

Sorry...I should have separated those experiences from the out of body experience.
Meaning to say, the ghost, and other experiences were "in body".

posted on Jan, 3 2013 @ 12:22 PM
link   
reply to post by Khurzon

Sorry...I should have separated those experiences from the out of body experience.

Meaning to say, the ghost, and other experiences were "in body".

Do you have your sight, still of today?

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join