Help ATS with a contribution via PayPal:
learn more

Do I have to be apart of religion to know God?

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7 >>

join

posted on Jan, 3 2013 @ 09:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by Belcastro

Originally posted by jhill76
I hear from all sides about the right path, or following the right rules.

The Christians will tell you Jesus is the only way.
The Muslims will tell their way is the true way.
And then various other sects all in between.

Is is possible I can know of God by going to him directly, without religion?

If I follow religion, I have to be holy to their standards, and not what I feel in my heart.

Is it possible to make it into the gates or hereafter, while having a one on one with God?

its like how the jews dont eat what they call an "Unclean Animal."
same as with hindu's refuse to slaughter or eat the cow they refer to it as "The Mother."

You should go with what i call "Truth within myself."
This is why i like the new age movement.
I view all these religions and the texts as "handbooks." for humanity.
Always follow your heart. Thats what i do.
Ill try to answer your question with an even bigger question?
what if you were God?
www.abovetopsecret.com...
edit on 3-1-2013 by Belcastro because: (no reason given)

You answered your own question in your statement of purpose. Not only are you you 'behold thyself God in the flesh and bone'. Handbooks good, heart better/follow it as it will never mislead you---your soul resides there.

posted on Jan, 3 2013 @ 09:58 PM
link   
reply to post by Jameliel

Even IF God were limited by death (which I agree with you that He isn't)...God knows our hearts and how we would respond given the chance....There is not a single soul past, present, or future...that will not be held accountable for we all have inherited the knowledge of good and evil....Repentance is a matter of the heart...and God knows our hearts....

A2D

posted on Jan, 3 2013 @ 10:14 PM
link   
I never said I am "personally righteous". It is you who feels I am that. Where did I say God didnt love sociopaths? If you don't know the definition of a sociopath, then you can look in a dictionary. If I call something the way I see it, then I am simply being honest. Your obvious anger and dislike of my posts illuminates your own heart. You are judging me whereas I did not judge you. Again, instead of worrying about me, you should be more wary of those who proclaim they do something for one reason, when in truth, they do not. Unless you know the full background of why someone speaks, then you are speaking as one who is ignorant; unaware of all that is happening. No matter how many stars you receive, that does not change the simple truth.

Originally posted by skyzeagle

Where do you think what I speak comes from?

Where do you think what you're apparent professional (is this really the case?) opinion of what a sociopath...where exactly is the soul on a sociopath? Do you know?

Where is the soul on a person with mental illness? With late stage cancer? Are there different places like files in a computer where God keeps storage for the progressively less than normal souls?

The thing that disturbs me most about your posts, Jameliel, is that there really is no room for a God, who by all counts of logic must have created what is before him/her, that hates himself. It is antithetical. It does not even have logic worthy of a God of such omnipotence and omniscience to be able to affect us negatively were that truly the Will.

There is and has only been room for a God, one God in my view, that loves. This God loves despite all that happens, all that we think, all we lose, all we destroy. This is the enduring God of ages, not that hateful one who has been unfortunately been propped up by so many religious men of power over the eons to control people for the sake of power and authority.

And to be perfectly blunt, your replies to my posts which have been nothing but illuminating and understanding in as many ways as I could see fit while maintaining my own dignity, are controlling and rather short sighted.

I hope you are given sight beyond your own limited ability to see only your own personal righteousness. The greatest of spiritual leaders were those individuals who sought enlightenment up until their last days. I won't list them. You either know them or can google them yourself.

May the spirit be upon you,

Skyzeagle

posted on Jan, 3 2013 @ 10:46 PM
link   

Well the truth is simple to see. Clearly.

posted on Jan, 3 2013 @ 10:56 PM
link   
reply to post by NewAgeMan

I agree, New Age.

This is rhetoric taken further than it should have. Religion, while a right of everyone, is also personal as much as it is communal. We are all called to reconcile our existence here in one fashion or another. Whether we do so with the help of others, on our own time and accord is truly our own business.

Let's hope we all keep to it and know when the call is truly there for us to reach out toward others, not in a veiled forum from anonymous vantage points without true repercussions.

posted on Jan, 3 2013 @ 11:05 PM
link   

The key I think is to find the simplicity of God's love on the far side of complexity which is capable of altogether transcending human sin, sorrow, suffering and strife according to a higher way of being.

I agree. It is very simple, religion makes it complex.

Love as Brother put it, sums up all that is needed to continue down here.

posted on Jan, 3 2013 @ 11:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by jhill76
I hear from all sides about the right path, or following the right rules.

The Christians will tell you Jesus is the only way.
The Muslims will tell their way is the true way.
And then various other sects all in between.

Is is possible I can know of God by going to him directly, without religion?

If I follow religion, I have to be holy to their standards, and not what I feel in my heart.

Is it possible to make it into the gates or hereafter, while having a one on one with God?

You ask a good question. I decided to sign back in after a few weeks just to answer your question.

And the answer is yes. You do not have to ever go to a church, or anywhere else to worship god. You can worship in your head, and nobody need ever know. It's completely between you, and god. God knows what's in you heart. Forget about what other people think.

posted on Jan, 3 2013 @ 11:29 PM
link   
reply to post by mrnotobc

And the answer is yes. You do not have to ever go to a church, or anywhere else to worship god. You can worship in your head, and nobody need ever know. It's completely between you, and god. God knows what's in you heart. Forget about what other people think.

Thank you, I appreciate the words.

posted on Jan, 4 2013 @ 12:12 AM
link   
reply to post by jhill76

Of course it's possible. Meditation and out of body experiences (experiencing reality) will get you there. Bodily death will get you there too but you don't need to wait for that. You can learn all about it by starting with Bob Monroe's books about your consciousness leaving your body, and Thomas Campbell's trilogy, My BIG T.O.E(theory of everything), about the science explaining such experiences. It can be explained by science and has been with experiments using scientific methodology by two physicists. This included a lot of statistical data but a lot of it is also subjective and can only be known by EXPERIENCING it. Reality was designed in this way and it makes sense to have to experience something in order to truly understand it and know for yourself that it's real. "Philosophy is over rated. Experience is key."

posted on Jan, 4 2013 @ 05:27 AM
link   
No, you do not need any religion, actually, on the contrary, religion will make you follow someone instead of God and sometimes to go away from God. I suggest you read a book by Herman Hess called Siddartha.

We all are part of God, or the Divine Energy/Light. In a sense, we are all God because we are all part of him like everything that exists, from a rock to a bird to a whale to a man. Everything that exists is God and is part of God.
The best religion is your own. Do not be fooled by the power mongers, the money takers that are all the religions in the world. We do not need any religion save our own from within us. Everyone is born with a sense of good and evil, and although good and evil is an illusion, we all know the difference between being with God and against it. It is called to Love or Not to Love.

The ultimate goal of creation through out the universe is unconditional Love. We long after our way back to the Godhead, to where we came from. But creation is the only way God has to experience Love. He can give out Love, but without creation, he cannot get it back.

Live and leave life learning to be patient, helping everyone around whenever you can regardless of ideals or race, forgiving those who did you wrong for they do not know any other way.

How would you want people to love you? Love them like that and you will be loved and then you will know what God is.

Cheers,

Andro
edit on 4/1/2013 by Andromerius because: (no reason given)
edit on 4/1/2013 by Andromerius because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 4 2013 @ 07:02 AM
link   
There is no such thing as god, whether it be Yahweh, Jehovah, Allah, Zeus or whatever.

The last thing the world needs is a new religion.

Can't you be content in yourself without wanting to talk to an imaginary friend?

posted on Jan, 4 2013 @ 08:24 AM
link   
reply to post by GafferUK1981

That pat reply is really starting to wear thin, you need to be aware of that.

What we seekers are looking for is a life lived more fully, even to the full, and we're not necessarily talking about "an imaginary friend" but about something much more fundamental, what I would call an appropriate heartfelt gratitude and joy for one's inclusion in something absolutely marvelous and astonishing (life) whereby that appropriate gratitude is directed, well, in the appropriate direction even if that first/last cause, that Alpha and Omega is something that by its very nature we cannot possibly even begin to imagine, only know that it's there, or that "he's" there (and I don't mean that from a purely anthropomorphic projection either).

We're talking about spirit, about beingness, truth, goodness, love, infinite intelligence, and universal principals of justice and mercy.

You just don't get it.

Carl Jung (smart guy, smoked a pipe) said that modern man must throw off the massman, and, by developing for himself his own working and workable theological framework (perspective) - enter the fray with his entire being!

It's the same kind of stuff Jesus as the personification of the logos (logic) understood and taught, and then proceeded to carry out even in relation to all obstacles including the entire depth and breadth of human sin and sorrow, suffering and strife, as well as an evil empire and a temple filled with all corruption - and came through with flying colors, can you imagine the genius of that, to in effect place a double bind on the devil and then thread the eye of the needle and walk straight through into paradise?!

You have no idea, don't have the first clue about what we're really talking about here, do you?

edit on 4-1-2013 by NewAgeMan because: typo

posted on Jan, 4 2013 @ 08:35 AM
link   

Logos is one of the three Greek words for "word", along with Sophia and Rhema.

posted on Jan, 4 2013 @ 09:00 AM
link   
There is no right or wrong way to know God. The way in which you recogonize the father will be completely different from that of the next person. It is a personal expereince, from how you communicate to how you worship. The path one chooses to take is indivdual, it matters not how we get there, but that we arrive.

PLPL

posted on Jan, 4 2013 @ 09:09 AM
link   
reply to post by Minori

That's not true. Jesus said the Father must be worshipped in Spirit and in truth.

posted on Jan, 4 2013 @ 09:26 AM
link   
reply to post by NOTurTypical

John 4 v. 23
"True worshipers will worship the Father in spirit and truth,"

It is my opinion that each person who is seeking to know God will find him, I have faith in his words.

Matthew 7:7
"Ask and it will be given to you; seek and you will find; knock and the door will be opened to you.

In order to truly find him we have to seek him out, and he does reveal himself. How we see him is personal, even within a structured religion.

PLPL

posted on Jan, 4 2013 @ 10:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by randyvs
reply to post by Maxmars

Why would you turn to another to tell you what you alone can see is real? Another will not see your reality. they can only see their own.

I disagree Max, in absolute protest. This idea you have of OP experiencing a different reality from everyone else. Just one question for the moment if I may ? Which statement below would you subscribe too?

A.. After we live out our lives on this earth and we pass on ? There will be just one truth concerning the hear after even if that truth is simply consciousness departed infinitely.

B. Because we all believe different things, there is a different reality for every mind in which they will experience their own different truth.

A. or B ?

I encourage your disagreeing with me! I would never resist such disagreement and thus protest would be superfluous.

My perception was not that the "OP experiencing a different reality from everyone else." But that everyone, by definition of their individual nature does. If we - or the OP - render the "perception" into the final indicator of how reality works, and grant that God via the authors of religious ritual decide we start off by denying the connection between us and God in the first place.

A.. After we live out our lives on this earth and we pass on ? There will be just one truth concerning the hear after even if that truth is simply consciousness departed infinitely.

Our mutual understanding of the difference between existence and non-existence seems the determinant here. What were we before we were conscious in this life? Nothing? Everything? Is this life an interruption of an infinite state of existence; or some cosmic or quantum "burp" of chance? Is there an interface between what we are infinitely and what we are finitely? We cannot simply state an opinion of how it ought to be without agreeing on the principles... and wisdom and accommodation of those principles is a matter of experiencing them.

If there is - in fact - one 'way' of how things are.... then logic should assist us in finding that one way.

B. Because we all believe different things, there is a different reality for every mind in which they will experience their own different truth.

I defer to the individual to reconcile their perception of reality with what we can commonly measure and rationalize. I can only say that among the great truths (like "All things change, always") I have not found one axiom that justifies thinking that there are different 'rules' for different people - outside of their own imaginations.

posted on Jan, 4 2013 @ 10:51 AM
link   
reply to post by jhill76

you can view dr zakir naik videos on youtube about God

www.irf.org

posted on Jan, 4 2013 @ 10:52 AM
link   
you can view dr zakir naik videos on youtube about God

www.irf.org

posted on Jan, 4 2013 @ 11:54 AM
link   
reply to post by Maxmars

Alright Max for the record. I believe life as we experience it. All the way thru, teaches us that the logical out come will be one truth for all to recognize. That's without my own biased opinion as to what that truth will be. Tho like everyone else, I have one. Just the same by example, if I were to ask you, what horse won the triple crown in 1973 ? There is a truth to the question, one truth for all to know thru out time because the truth lives for ever because it is simply what did happen. and that doesn't change.

new topics

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7 >>

join