Do I have to be apart of religion to know God?

page: 7
<< 4  5  6   >>

join

posted on Jan, 4 2013 @ 04:00 PM
link   
I understand the desire to ask others on this forum for advice, however you like many are seeking the easy route to God.

Unfortunately, the Christian message is clear. Leading a good life and loving others is not enough to know God as we all sin. Therefore trying to be perfect will only lead to frustration. This quote below is spot on

Originally posted by NOTurTypical
reply to post by jhill76

I would argue that Biblical Christianity isn't a religion at all. It's not all all about what you do or don't do but instead all about what Jesus has done.

The passage below found in Matthew 11:27 sums up the Christian route to God.

All things have been handed over to me by my Father, and no one knows the Son except the Father, and no one knows the Father except the Son and anyone to whom the Son chooses to reveal him.

Fortunately for us the Son has revealed himself through the scriptures. Those same scriptures found in the dead sea scrolls and the caves of Nag Hamaddi. As an aside did you know that the first bible to be printed in English was in 1525 and even then it was punishable by death to be found with one, talk about Above Top Secret!

The message of the New Testament is of atonement... Jesus has atoned for our sins and it was God's will that he do this. Until this point many ancient civilisations would atone for their sins through burnt offerings. God showed this was not needed.

I would encourage you to visit the Theology network website and listening to the following short talks by Mike Reeves.
The difference Jesus makes to your view of God

and

A delightfully different God

These will at least give you understanding of the Christian faith and how vast the difference between the Christian God and the Gods of other religions actually is.

posted on Jan, 4 2013 @ 04:12 PM
link   
Religion-
Webster's Collegiate Dictionary traces the word back to an old Latin word religio meaning "taboo, restraint." A deeper study discovers the word comes from the two words re and ligare. Re is a prefix meaning "return," and ligare means "to bind;" in other words, "return to bondage." Do you still want some of that "old-time religion"?

posted on Jan, 4 2013 @ 04:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by sj2013
I understand the desire to ask others on this forum for advice, however you like many are seeking the easy route to God.

Unfortunately, the Christian message is clear. Leading a good life and loving others is not enough to know God as we all sin. Therefore trying to be perfect will only lead to frustration. This quote below is spot on

reply to post by jhill76

I would argue that Biblical Christianity isn't a religion at all. It's not all all about what you do or don't do but instead all about what Jesus has done.

All things have been handed over to me by my Father, and no one knows the Son except the Father, and no one knows the Father except the Son and anyone to whom the Son chooses to reveal him.

Fortunately for us the Son has revealed himself through the scriptures. Those same scriptures found in the dead sea scrolls and the caves of Nag Hamaddi. As an aside did you know that the first bible to be printed in English was in 1525 and even then it was punishable by death to be found with one, talk about Above Top Secret!

The message of the New Testament is of atonement... Jesus has atoned for our sins and it was God's will that he do this. Until this point many ancient civilisations would atone for their sins through burnt offerings. God showed this was not needed.

I would encourage you to visit the Theology network website and listening to the following short talks by Mike Reeves.
The difference Jesus makes to your view of God

and

A delightfully different God

These will at least give you understanding of the Christian faith and how vast the difference between the Christian God and the Gods of other religions actually is.

But really, what seems to be being said here, is that, christianity has some exclusive claim to the path to godhead...this really is the ultimate conceit...

Pardon me...this is not exactly what has been said...but Fundies of all flavours (quoted poster excluded) are want to make this claim...

A99
edit on 4-1-2013 by akushla99 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 4 2013 @ 05:19 PM
link   
god is the force of creation - whatever form

posted on Jan, 5 2013 @ 11:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by spacemanjupiter
reply to post by jhill76

Of course it's possible. Meditation and out of body experiences (experiencing reality) will get you there. Bodily death will get you there too but you don't need to wait for that. You can learn all about it by starting with Bob Monroe's books about your consciousness leaving your body, and Thomas Campbell's trilogy, My BIG T.O.E(theory of everything), about the science explaining such experiences. It can be explained by science and has been with experiments using scientific methodology by two physicists. This included a lot of statistical data but a lot of it is also subjective and can only be known by EXPERIENCING it. Reality was designed in this way and it makes sense to have to experience something in order to truly understand it and know for yourself that it's real. "Philosophy is over rated. Experience is key."

This advice needs to come along with a bit more understanding of the human mind and its ability and nature to 'create', literally.

We know that desires, needs, and preconceived ideas can be the facets that some experiences come through. Why do you suppose that many Christians have experiences of seeing Jesus...or many Indians experiences are related more to earth spirits, ect. Another thing that a critical thinker must consider is that preconceived ideas or images can create emotional responses within us which make a imprint on our unconsciousness...which can through dreams or through meditative moments create experiences that tie back to that emotional response that a person may of had, be it something from a book they read, a movie they seen, or even a belief system they were raised in.

We have to ask the question....how many experiences have things that the person has never had a preconceived idea of, does the experience offer or feed a desire within that person, such as meeting Jesus or meeting et's, or meeting a higher self...

An experience is more a reflection of what someones unconsciousness holds within it. Hopes, fears, desires, ect...if the person can really step back and look at the experience and see what it has to offer that person as a individual...it likely will show them their inner most fears, desires, hopes, ect...or may also simply be feeding the ego especially if the person is looking for an experience to be had.

Experiences can not be something for another person that did not have the experience to 'know truth'. The experiences are more about a personal reflection...and its a opportunity to empty ones cup and make sure that preconceived ideas, desires, fears...have not gotten in the way of their own self reflection.

We are creators, literally...and we should not forget this ability when we talk about things like having personal experiences.

Just some thoughts
LV

posted on Jan, 5 2013 @ 03:07 PM
link   
reply to post by Raxoxane

Yeah, one of these things is definitely not like the other:

* The immensely altruistic love that Jesus STILL conveys from the higher planes

* The fear-inducing psychopathic CRRAPPPP that nasty Yahweh (most likely the same entity known as Marduk by the Sumerians and Ra by the Egyptians) espouses; that's psychic poison.

If you are "Christian" these days you are grafting the loving energy of Jesus onto an impossibly psychopathic being, Jehovah/Yahweh; and that only messes you up, spiritually.

Again, one of these things is not like the other. The original Gnostics, the first students and helpers of Jesus, didn't leave much writing behind: the Romans destroyed most of it.

But some of us REMEMBER. And hold those memories near and dear, despite the many centuries of us trying to guide people toward an accurate notion of what Jesus is/was, sans the dogma, the nonsense, and the garbage. And we don't give up, despite the flames, the trolls, and the usual nastiness we get!

posted on Jan, 6 2013 @ 12:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by Minori
reply to post by NOTurTypical

John 4 v. 23
"True worshipers will worship the Father in spirit and truth,"

It is my opinion that each person who is seeking to know God will find him, I have faith in his words.

Matthew 7:7
"Ask and it will be given to you; seek and you will find; knock and the door will be opened to you.

In order to truly find him we have to seek him out, and he does reveal himself. How we see him is personal, even within a structured religion.

PLPL

Read John 15:16.

posted on Jan, 6 2013 @ 10:06 AM
link   
Everything has its purpose...Jesus came, learned about the Spirit in life itself, he did not have concern that there had to be a final blood sacrifice and he was against the old ways of using blood sacrifices. People can qoute what ever they wish...but the soul/phase of the one we now call Jesus...is reachable for guidance and its nature can be known. He will walk beside, he is a part of all of us just as all is a part of him. Many things were added to the life of Jesus through peoples own beliefs and personal agendas.

People think that if Jesus did not resurrect and was not really meant to be a blood sacrifice, then Jesus and his life looses its worth that it had for spiritual guidance...and this is not so.

In life there is the flesh and spirit entwined. Jesus went through the temptations just like everyone else about the life of the flesh and the things it longs to live for, one of those being this life itself. To understand that by acting in an eye for an eye will not help one on the spiritual path...to understand that even when it came to those that wanted to take his life, Jesus still understood that to fight for this life of flesh even in self defense, would also not help on the spiritual path that we all must walk eventually in some phase of spirit/soul. Willing, offering, back to the Earth which our flesh body is of...offering to live only for the life of spirit, the only part of us that is eternal and infinite and is what makes us one...was the way he had to walk.

When one can walk in his path and have the understanding of offering of self, not saying we all must get hung on the cross....but in our hearts, in our minds, the question is, could we. Do we understand enough to have the will to live more for that of Spirit...or would we still cling to the illusion of this 'self', this body of flesh.

Others have came to Earth with the same nature...a nature that is willing to place themselves in danger, Jesus spoke out against the main stream way of thinking. Living more for something of the nature of spirit....then for the self. A life of standing up for others as Martin Luther King did also shows this nature...he had the soul/phase of spirit that longed for harmony, a natural attribute of Spirit.

Christianity has its place as well, just not as many will see it. It is one of the wide paths, it can bring ones heart to be more humble and more graceful...but in the end its another tool that weighs and measures our own understanding of what our true nature really is. To accept the ideas of God with a nature as in the Old Testament and the idea that we need to be saved by another individual through his offering of his body for a blood sacrifice shows what a soul/phase understands about its true nature and what it does not. Its not wrong to believe such, but it also shows lack of understanding the true nature of the source/God/Divine Spirit. They are not ready to understand anything further and that is ok...somewhere along the incarnations of that phase of spirit/soul the true nature will be understood, its a natural process...the learning of and having the open heart to seek the kingdom within, to see with that one eye of light...not the two that it takes to read books and others ideas.

The old testament image of god has its purpose to, again to weigh and measure what a soul understands. The Old Testament god image has attributes similar to us as humans, as of the flesh. In the cosmic eye I guess you could say, what we understand and dont understand about the nature of our inner most being, the source, God...see's why we only understand what we do, understands why we can only see so far or why it is why we accept a certain belief idea...there is understanding of where a soul is at on its path...all things offer us something that weighs and measures our understanding...and everything of the past, every thought, idea, belief...is a part of all of us. The Yahweh image is a part of our understanding along the path as a whole, of what is god. Along this path...there will be many things that are weighed and measured and found NOT to be of Gods nature as we thought they were. This is a natural evolving of our consciousness and learning of our true being.

It was not wrong and there is really no one to blame except the cause and effect of spirit in flesh...which causes attributes of flesh...and everything has to be filtered through. The Yahweh image is very much a part of our conscious thought still, for the majority on this planet still believe in this type of god nature...its needed, was meant to be, and has its purpose.

This is not a prison planet, there have been no mistakes.

posted on Jan, 6 2013 @ 10:43 AM
link   

John 15:16
16 You did not choose me, but I chose you and appointed you so that you might go and bear fruit—fruit that will last—and so that whatever you ask in my name the Father will give you.

Are you suggesting that only certain "chosen" people can see and feel the Glory of the Father??
I disagree

Matthew 28:19-20
Go therefore and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, teaching them to observe all that I have commanded you. And behold, I am with you always, to the end of the age.”

Read Romans 12:2

PLPL

posted on Jan, 6 2013 @ 03:29 PM
link   

Are you suggesting that only certain "chosen" people can see and feel the Glory of the Father??
I disagree.

It didn't make Jesus very popular when he said it in John 6 either.

John 6:64-67

64 But there are some of you that believe not. For Jesus knew from the beginning who they were that believed not, and who should betray him.

65 And he said, Therefore said I unto you, that no man can come unto me, except it were given unto him of my Father.

66 From that time many of his disciples went back, and walked no more with him.

67 Then said Jesus unto the twelve, Will ye also go away?

More from John 6...

37 All that the Father giveth me shall come to me; and him that cometh to me I will in no wise cast out.

44 No man can come to me, except the Father which hath sent me draw him: and I will raise him up at the last day.

Read Romans 12:2

Romans 8:28-30

28 And we know that all things work together for good to them that love God, to them who are the called according to his purpose.

29 For whom he did foreknow, he also did predestinate to be conformed to the image of his Son, that he might be the firstborn among many brethren.

30 Moreover whom he did predestinate, them he also called: and whom he called, them he also justified: and whom he justified, them he also glorified.

edit on 6-1-2013 by Deetermined because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 11 2013 @ 08:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by guitarplayer
Religion-
Webster's Collegiate Dictionary traces the word back to an old Latin word religio meaning "taboo, restraint." A deeper study discovers the word comes from the two words re and ligare. Re is a prefix meaning "return," and ligare means "to bind;" in other words, "return to bondage." Do you still want some of that "old-time religion"?

If you are talking about the "old soft shoe" dance routine of the Jesus doctrine which I will call out as slavery of the human as an intentioned event- and realized. Problem being some of us recognised the ruse, and where is the grace of awareness. Bondage a very good terminology.

posted on Jan, 11 2013 @ 08:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by sj2013

reply to post by jhill76

What? you disclose expose the Nag Hammadi Library? What exactly did Matthew know? The outrageous assumption that no one but the Son except the Father knows the Father except the Son and anyone to whom the Son reveals to only a FLOWER, or a MOUNTAIN, or a CLOUD or a RIVER or a SALAMANDER or a BUGGER on someones little finger. Perhaps if .gov found out about ABOVETOPSECRET.COM they (responsible for the web site creation) would all be drawn and quartered.

posted on Jan, 11 2013 @ 09:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by LeoVirgo

Everything has its purpose...Jesus came, learned about the Spirit in life itself, he did not have concern that there had to be a final blood sacrifice and he was against the old ways of using blood sacrifices. People can qoute what ever they wish...but the soul/phase of the one we now call Jesus...is reachable for guidance and its nature can be known. He will walk beside, he is a part of all of us just as all is a part of him. Many things were added to the life of Jesus through peoples own beliefs and personal agendas.

People think that if Jesus did not resurrect and was not really meant to be a blood sacrifice, then Jesus and his life looses its worth that it had for spiritual guidance...and this is not so.

In life there is the flesh and spirit entwined. Jesus went through the temptations just like everyone else about the life of the flesh and the things it longs to live for, one of those being this life itself. To understand that by acting in an eye for an eye will not help one on the spiritual path...to understand that even when it came to those that wanted to take his life, Jesus still understood that to fight for this life of flesh even in self defense, would also not help on the spiritual path that we all must walk eventually in some phase of spirit/soul. Willing, offering, back to the Earth which our flesh body is of...offering to live only for the life of spirit, the only part of us that is eternal and infinite and is what makes us one...was the way he had to walk.

When one can walk in his path and have the understanding of offering of self, not saying we all must get hung on the cross....but in our hearts, in our minds, the question is, could we. Do we understand enough to have the will to live more for that of Spirit...or would we still cling to the illusion of this 'self', this body of flesh.

Others have came to Earth with the same nature...a nature that is willing to place themselves in danger, Jesus spoke out against the main stream way of thinking. Living more for something of the nature of spirit....then for the self. A life of standing up for others as Martin Luther King did also shows this nature...he had the soul/phase of spirit that longed for harmony, a natural attribute of Spirit.

Christianity has its place as well, just not as many will see it. It is one of the wide paths, it can bring ones heart to be more humble and more graceful...but in the end its another tool that weighs and measures our own understanding of what our true nature really is. To accept the ideas of God with a nature as in the Old Testament and the idea that we need to be saved by another individual through his offering of his body for a blood sacrifice shows what a soul/phase understands about its true nature and what it does not. Its not wrong to believe such, but it also shows lack of understanding the true nature of the source/God/Divine Spirit. They are not ready to understand anything further and that is ok...somewhere along the incarnations of that phase of spirit/soul the true nature will be understood, its a natural process...the learning of and having the open heart to seek the kingdom within, to see with that one eye of light...not the two that it takes to read books and others ideas.

The old testament image of god has its purpose to, again to weigh and measure what a soul understands. The Old Testament god image has attributes similar to us as humans, as of the flesh. In the cosmic eye I guess you could say, what we understand and dont understand about the nature of our inner most being, the source, God...see's why we only understand what we do, understands why we can only see so far or why it is why we accept a certain belief idea...there is understanding of where a soul is at on its path...all things offer us something that weighs and measures our understanding...and everything of the past, every thought, idea, belief...is a part of all of us. The Yahweh image is a part of our understanding along the path as a whole, of what is god. Along this path...there will be many things that are weighed and measured and found NOT to be of Gods nature as we thought they were. This is a natural evolving of our consciousness and learning of our true being.

It was not wrong and there is really no one to blame except the cause and effect of spirit in flesh...which causes attributes of flesh...and everything has to be filtered through. The Yahweh image is very much a part of our conscious thought still, for the majority on this planet still believe in this type of god nature...its needed, was meant to be, and has its purpose.

This is not a prison planet, there have been no mistakes.

Who was the grand designer of this not so much prison planet; wherein mistakes were a built in process. No blame as it is Free Will. Yahweh? not even a dangling participle as to what happenned here. Any natural evolution of consciousness?

posted on Jan, 12 2013 @ 07:49 AM
link   
reply to post by jhill76

No

You can be a deist or even 'christian' and 'muslim' without joining any religion.
If you like christian views of god then you can buy a bible and start reading it.
No need to join any religion.
All you need is a beliefs and faiths in god of their doctrines

I was a deist

posted on Jan, 12 2013 @ 07:53 AM
link   
edit on 12-1-2013 by Itisnowagain because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 12 2013 @ 10:21 AM
link   
reply to post by vethumanbeing

If mistakes have purpose in teaching us things...can we really call them mistakes or more like opportunities to learn something?

I see what has happened here as being a very natural process...what do you see?

posted on Jan, 12 2013 @ 07:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by LeoVirgo
reply to post by vethumanbeing

If mistakes have purpose in teaching us things...can we really call them mistakes or more like opportunities to learn something?

I see what has happened here as being a very natural process...what do you see?

Are you speaking personally or as an entire specie? There is no mistake because all is an internal/eternal dialoge with oneself to GROW spiritually. Natural? Conundrum-Devine intervention as I see it. No mistakes only banana peel slips. I see the process as being a strange energy form (natural) that we can do nothing about; to witness it be aware of it 'initialize it; is the FUN.

posted on Jan, 12 2013 @ 07:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by circuitsports
god is the force of creation - whatever form

Here is where it becomes fun. God is actually a Force; an energy form comprised of Thought, Electromagnetic force, and TIME combined with what some call gravity--that is actually thoughtform in completion or on its way to Being something.

You describe it individually. It describes itself through you/your individuality. The Bible Is A Hoax. As a 5 year old you should have understood this.
edit on 12-1-2013 by vethumanbeing because: Angry with myself.

posted on Jan, 12 2013 @ 07:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by Deetermined

I disagree.

Obviously you do and are the chosen? Those that quote adnausium the bible bibble bobble are to my mind brainwashed. Read anything by Albert Speer architect to Hitler expousing a great 3rd something or other. I think the point must be made as have an original thought.

John 6:64-67

edit on 6-1-2013 by Deetermined because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 4  5  6   >>

join

Haters, Bigots, Partisan Trolls, Propaganda Hacks, Racists, and LOL-tards: Time To Move On.
read more: Community Announcement re: Decorum