Originally posted by CB328
With all the arguments lately about gun control, it seems that people are purposely overlooking the fact that guns create a huge amount of suffering
and death. 67% of murders in the US are caused by guns.
That is a staggering figure, over 2/3rds. Then you have to add in the thousands of accidental gun deaths that happen each year, many of which include
children. You would think that people concerned about protecting peoples' lives would come to the obvious conclusion that getting rid of guns (or at
least cheap and easy access to guns) would do a lot of good and save tons of lives.
edit on 31-12-2012 by CB328 because: typo
Sure and guess what slick, even a greater percentage is GANG RELATED. Gang related homicides in the United States is about 74 percent. Think these
guys are not going to have weapons.
For various reasons the total number of gang related homicides appears to be about 11,500; while the total for the rest of us is about 3,000.
Essentially, then; the percentage of gang related homicides in the United States is about 74 percent – and rising as the number of murders among the
general population declines.
For those of an analytical turn of mind, that means the homicide rate among non-gang related Americans is about 1.0 to 1.1 per 100,000 population.
Let's go down the current list as you really may not know the facts:
1) We border a narco state. After decades and billions we cannot secure our borders and there is Zero political will to do so. Drugs and People flow
into the US like the Mississippi River. Anyone can find illegal dope here, same with weapons. Ban weapons and we the citizens are screwed. You are not
banning anything from the bad guys because they don't care about the law!
2) Your on an Island as the always used examples of Japan, Australia, and New Zealand - we are not as stated in #1.
3) We also have massive, massive gang problems (25,000 gangs nationally - that is gangs not gang members) and they are armed to the teeth violent
thugs. Estimated Number of Gang Members is 750-800 thousand a couple of years ago. 74% of murders in the US is gang related.
4) Criminals will have weapons period, especially here. They do not follow the laws so laws will do nothing except disarm US the law-abiding citizens.
In other words... OPEN SEASON!
5) I heard the idea of "long sentences" or "life sentences" for possession of a firearm. Your own police in the UK are against that because the
criminal has nothing to gain by surrendering (they will go down shooting) and it will cost cops and bystanders lives.
6) Armed populace reduces overall crime period.
25 years murder-free in 'Gun Town USA'
The El Paso Miracle
7) I don't care what people in other countries "want" us to do. We have to live here. I always amazes me WHY the Europeans, Aussies, Chinese, Russians
and other disarmed victim peoples are so interested in disarming the US citizen, why, do you guys plan on relocating here? Hell, why don't we adopt
Mexico's strict gun policy... there are no gun murders or gang violence there at all! Great idea! See how that is working out (and by the way you guys
talk on the boards, aforementioned seem to have a zealousness in their wish to see us disarmed victims in my opinion, as though they can't wait to get
some joy as our crime rates, rape victims, and body counts skyrocket and we cannot fight back), under the boot of criminals and corruption... No thank
you. It is kind of like the "Chamberlain appeasement" where they think it is OK if you are looted, raped, mugged, burglarized, and trodden upon as
long as someone doesn't die get shot and die (usually worried about the criminal !). Here, we would rather chance death than live "safer from death
but trodden upon" like you do. We shoot back. The Brit argument usually is "There is nothing in my house worth taking a human life" (The victim
helpless mentality) while the US reality is "There is nothing in my house worth loosing your life for criminal scum" and if you really want to chance
that by endangering my family you will be met with force.
8) The United States Supreme Court has repeatedly and consistently held police have no constitutional obligation or any other legal obligation to
prevent citizens from being victims of violent crime. This alone speaks volumes... and they are chopping police roles everywhere to boot.
Police Do Not Have a Constitutional Duty to Protect Someone
edit on 31-12-2012 by infolurker because: (no reason given)