It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Guns used in 67% of murders in US

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 31 2012 @ 02:42 PM
link   
And keep in mind that the VAST majority of murders are done by people who do NOT have a mental illness.

posted on Dec, 31 2012 @ 02:46 PM
link   
reply to post by infolurker

Thanks for bringing this bit of information light.

The reality of the situation is if you take away gang-related deaths the US is one of the safest places to live.

To bad this bit of information will go completely unnoticed because it doesn't fit the anti-gun agenda.

Another interesting fact is that Chicago reached 500 murders in 2012. The really interesting part is that even the paper goes on to mention that the high murder rate is due to gang violence and flow of illegal guns.

posted on Dec, 31 2012 @ 02:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by kthxbai

A book doesn't fire a projectile or multiple projectiles. A book also serves as a source of learning.
I have no issue with the soccer mom having a .380 to protect her, however, I do have an issue with semi-automatic firearms being available to anyone and everyone that wants one. This isn't about banning all firearms, it's about limiting what firearms are available to the general public.

A gun makes it quick and easy. Too easy. Too quick. You get peeved off? Grab a gun and go shoot them like the video games let you do. They won't peeve you off again! Have a bad day? Grab a gun and go take your frustation out on other people like you see in the movies. The guy in the movie got away with it, you will too. Society has been permeated with using the guns to solve their anger issues and it's a growing problem. Something has to be done, a lot of somethings have to be done. They don't have to be permanent, but they do need to be put into action.

The problem is, murders like this are extremely rare. Souce
Out of curiosity, you have said that the general public is not responsible enough to own guns. Do you believe they are responsible enough to vote? (Honest question. Think about it--if I can't trust you to own a semi-auto rifle with a 30 round magazine, how can you trust me to vote for a guy who has access to the big red button?)
edit on 31-12-2012 by StalkerSolent because: (no reason given)

edit on 31-12-2012 by StalkerSolent because: Cosmetics

edit on 31-12-2012 by StalkerSolent because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 31 2012 @ 02:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by kthxbai
reply to post by tpsreporter

You aren't a soldier, you don't need it, and, when the law passes, you won't have it.

The end.

Eh...I would not be so sure. Where I am the "assault rifles" sold out in the days following the Newtown shooting. Now, this is the way I see it: all the people who bought guns when Obama came into office still have theirs. They don't need new ones. So I bet a bunch of them were bought by new owners...who were afraid their guns would be taken away.
Which means that they probably won't be giving them up.
In all seriousness, I sometimes think that gun control advocates who are serious about keeping guns off the street should stop agitating for a ban. It causes gun sales to skyrocket without anything actually happening--the guns probably will not be banned anytime soon, and if they are, I believe many of their owners would quietly bury the guns and wait for better days.

posted on Dec, 31 2012 @ 03:02 PM
link   
reply to post by murch

Originally posted by murch
Next argument point, "there will be less deaths". Yes, of course there will be but this does not mean a lessening of intent to harm.

Actually, there wont be fewer deaths. Not if countries like England and Australia are taken into account.

Plenty of domestic examples:

Chicago Gun Ban Axed After Violent Weekend: At Least 29 Shot, 3 Dead In Weekend Shootings.

Even with the gun ban in place, shootings in Chicago have been rampant. Last weekend, at least 52 were shot and ten killed in just three days, and this weekend the gunfire continued.

Chicago Police Department statistics, we are told, reveal that the City's handgun murder rate has actually increased since the ban was enacted and that Chicago residents now face one of the highest murder rates in the country and rates of other violent crimes that exceed the average in comparable cities.

edit on 31-12-2012 by gladtobehere because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 31 2012 @ 03:09 PM
link   
reply to post by CB328

Thats a really good point. I just don't understand how you intend to go up to each person and make them give up their guns?

We know passing laws or limitations on legal gun owners is going to have very little impact on these horrific events. The fact is, these people are not acting out of best interest of the law so I doubt a law is going to control the problem.

Granted if you could go around and retrieve all guns, that would be a hell of an accomplishment, but we both know that will never happen especially while our second amendment allows us to bare arms.

You want to know where this problem bloomed? It was back when Regan was in office. Some people think he was one of the best we have ever had in office, but the fact is he caused this country a lot of problems. He was bent on going around and closing down all of the mental instituitions. He closed so many of them that the street crime started to rocket out of control and people had to stand up and say enough is enough, stop closing them all down.

The fact is, if we had more mental outfits, more people would be able to get the required help they need. The CT shootings are a prime example, that guy should have been in a tight mental program, but because we lack the facilitys, he slipped through the cracks and was treated as though he were normal.

Regan was so bent on closing down all mental facilities, and he actually died with a mental illness of his own, Talk abou carma getting you.

So right now people are trying to pass things to make it appear as though we are actually doing something about the CT shootings. Like locking out sales of assault weapons. Again all that does is punish the legal owners. All someone has to do is carry three clips and a hand gun to do the damage in the CT shootings. Sure assault weapons make it a tad more easier, but its still possible through normal hand guns.

People are quick to place blame. Its the fault of the weapon, not the fault of the shooter. Thats like saying that gun distributors are accessorys to murder. Hey you know what, spoons made me fat. Cars can kill people just like guns can kill. The only difference is that guns were made specifically to shoot people. We learned they can be used to protect, and to scare people too. So there are many uses, not just killing. They say the only thing that can stop a bad guy with a gun, is a good guy with a gun, there might be some truth in that.

posted on Dec, 31 2012 @ 03:53 PM
link   
Guns CAUSE crime? No, guns are easy to use and not as personal as stabbing someone to death.

After guns are banned you better be crying about knives being responsible for 2/3rd deaths.

posted on Dec, 31 2012 @ 03:54 PM
link   
100% of all murders are done by, wait for it........PEOPLE!!!!

Their method of murder has nothing to do with it.

posted on Dec, 31 2012 @ 04:18 PM
link   
reply to post by CB328

Some of my favs from YOUR source OP...

* Since the outset of the Chicago handgun ban, the percentage of Chicago murders committed with handguns has averaged about 40% higher than it was before the law took effect.[55]

* In 2005, 96% of the firearm murder victims in Chicago were killed with handguns.[56]

* In June 2010, the U.S. Supreme Court ruled (5-4) that Chicago's ban is unconstitutional.[51]

Obviously...

2000: 58 Chinese people suffocated to death in a shipping container en route to the UK

Ban shipping containers...

2002: 172 homicides reported when Dr. Harold Shipman was exposed for killing his patients

Ban Doctors...and people named Harold.

2003: 20 cockle pickers drowned resulting in manslaughter charges

Ban water...

2005: 52 people were killed in the July 7th London subway/bus bombings

Ban the date "July 7th" and mass commuting.

* Not counting the above-listed anomalies, the homicide rate in England and Wales has averaged 52% higher since the outset of the 1968 gun control law and 15% higher since the outset of the 1997 handgun ban.[42]

posted on Dec, 31 2012 @ 04:30 PM
link   
Here's another possible angle. I remember a headline [I don't remember which site] that stated that George Soros was quietly buying some gun manufacturing companies. Has anyone else read this? It would be a heck of a way to make serious cash. Have your boy mention gun control and watch the money roll in. Just a theory.....

posted on Dec, 31 2012 @ 04:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by GuidedKill
100% of all murders are done by, wait for it........PEOPLE!!!!

Their method of murder has nothing to do with it.

Ban people...do it for the children!!

while were at it...we need to ban Oxygen since all people breathe...we can immediately arrest any people that MAY exist or slips through the cracks once we ban people...

This should reduce crime by 100% by my estimations.

posted on Dec, 31 2012 @ 04:35 PM
link   
It is silly to think thAt removing guns altogether would stop criminals from finding was to kill or terrorize others.

Did we all learn nothing from prohibition?

Op do you ACTH believe the things you're saying or just backing up your horse at all costs?

posted on Dec, 31 2012 @ 04:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by CB328
IT doesn't matter if it's 60% or 67%, there are way too many people killed with guns in this country, especially considering that we're supposed to be a modern, peaceful, prosperous country.

Doctors kill more.
Prescription meds kill more...
I'd be willing to bet cops kill more innocent people.....
Outlaw Obama and his gang. Know how many innocents he/they have killed?
And again, take away the guns, and they'll use something else. I'm outta here . There's no good argument to ban guns. Look at history. Morons.

posted on Dec, 31 2012 @ 05:01 PM
link   
Over half of all gun related deaths are due to suicides. Gun homicides are actually quite low, especially per capita speaking. Homicides are actually going down annually as well. (as is crime in general)

Anyone who wants to take my gun can suck on the end of my barrel. Don't like that? Don't try and tell me what I can or can't protect myself or my family with. (Proud owner of two AR-15's and three Glocks.)
edit on 31-12-2012 by rock427 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 31 2012 @ 05:07 PM
link   
Funny thing is..when it comes to gun violence and how they proclaim guns are not just for killing...the gun advocates make snide remarks about how they would like a gun to be used against anti gun people.

They talk about how if you take something of mine I will kill you.

I have seen that gun owners are bloodthirsty twits..

edit on 31-12-2012 by kerazeesicko because: I CAN

posted on Dec, 31 2012 @ 05:09 PM
link   

It is silly to think that removing guns altogether would stop criminals from finding was to kill or terrorize others.

There would be a hell of a lot less deaths, so it would be a huge improvement. Without guns most of the people killing other people wouldn't have the guts to do it. That's the whole purpose of guns today, to make losers feel like they're powerful.

posted on Dec, 31 2012 @ 05:19 PM
link   
While I dont fall for the two party system, liberals in general are the scum of society. Their logic is always to protect ourselves from....ourselves. They cry,"save the children!!"

Well OP, to put it bluntly...your statistic is is very very misleading. I could pick apart that 67% number with tons of facts, but decided on just one. One that will show you beyond a doubt that your logic is...illogical.

The House Committee on Homeland Security says 4135 murders by firearm per year are committed by illegal Mexican immigrants.

The Violent Crime Institute of Atlanta, GA estimates there are currently 240,000 illegal Mexican sex offenders in the US. Each with 3 or more different victims.
They also say that 2,900 children will be molested in 2012 by illegal Mexican immigrants.

There are 31,000 firearm deaths per year in the US. You could IMMEDIATELY stop over 4,000 murders per year using laws already on the books! By proxy, it would save 2,900 kids from being raped per year!

Gun laws didn't prevent the 4,000 murders by Mexican illegals last year did they? How did they even GET a gun anyway? Outlaw guns, and only outlaws will have guns.

Rather than liberals enforcing laws for those without rights, they decide to infringe on MY rights, in order to protect children. You have to see the idiocy of the pro confiscation arguments. Perhaps if I seen the LAW enforced on those who don't even belong in America, I'd be more willing to listen to the liberal side of the argument.

Why don't you liberals focus your attention on something that can happen right now rather than trying to ammend the constitution which will take DECADES?
I tire of this mob rule Democracy bullcrap. Where is my REPUBLIC!?

In the time it took me to compile this post, an illegal murdered one innocent person and a child will be raped by an illegal within the hour. Just continue to pat yourself on the back for your thread...but did it help the innocent that just got murdered? Wonder what the liberal response to the child thats got 15 minutes til they get molested would be.

The fight is not among your fellow citizens here in this great country! Stop falling for the programming
edit on 31-12-2012 by MisterMaster because: (no reason given)

edit on 31-12-2012 by MisterMaster because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 31 2012 @ 05:24 PM
link   
I did some interesting research and found the following facts.

All Rapists and Murderers claimed to have drank water at some point within 24 hours of their crime.
Virtually every single drowning in the world last year was caused by Water.
100% of all people exposed to water WILL die!!!

We need to ban Water because statistics show its not good for our future.

posted on Dec, 31 2012 @ 05:25 PM
link   
reply to post by MisterMaster

Damn Mexican illegals..taking away American sickos rights to their god given right to molest and rape their own American children...and also kill and rape their own people

You people act like if it wasn't for the illegals stuff like this wouldn't happen.

Republicans are so brain dead sometimes.

posted on Dec, 31 2012 @ 05:27 PM
link   
THE WILL TO ACT is the #1 cause of gun violence. End of story. But you wont hear that statistic anywhere....

2nd line

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join