It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

2013 just might be the year scientists find first 'alien Earth'

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 31 2012 @ 05:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by DataWraith
what is the point of looking out to space and finding Earth type planets if they have cancelled the space exploration programs?
All we can do is `window shop`.

I thought it was only the United States that had canceled current space exploration?

posted on Dec, 31 2012 @ 09:02 AM
link   
Honestly, life is life, it shouldn't impede the shock of the discovery if it is not intelligent life. I'm skeptical though, as usually when they predict or prepare to announce something 'huge' it turns out to be rubbish as far as the public is concerned.

posted on Dec, 31 2012 @ 10:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by kudegras
Because they only release information that they want to release, sort of a drip feed . No doubt they have already found said planet, or they wouldn't be certain to the find in 2013.
Probably still trying to figure out how to strip it of its resources.

In your opinion, with no facts to back it up.

I do know this, technology is advancing, the ability to detect distant planets is getting better and better and very shortly they will have a radio telescope the diameter of the earth..........oh and please don't give me the "how" question. Do yourself a favour and educate yourself by reading how. it might allay those paranoid thoughts about conspiracies.

posted on Dec, 31 2012 @ 10:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by SLAYER69

Puts on foil hat.
Now that we've all survived doomsday does anybody think that maybe the increasing stories are for a reason like possible impending disclosure?

Or just simply good old fashion science and this possibility was inevitable?

ALL 1 feels is that EA*RTH has not been in this sector for many millennia SLAYER69. And maybe this sector is a region where more planets exist in the Milky way. Keeping in mind the spiral effect, not being straight linear path way as galaxy rotates, some planets may get somewhat left out in the outter bands of spirals. And again EA*RTH may just be re-encountering past located planets. I know its outta box, but factoring the 26,000 approx. spin it seems EA*RTH is making a complete cycle again.

Now could this involve celestial debris encounters from different comet/asteroids that may be more present out in this region,1 not sure. In relation to the doomsday prophesy ect.
- In relation to science 1 has observed over the last approx. 2 years more EARTH like planets being shared with the populace. Can it be disclosure for EA*RTH population, or just science sharing more. But.. why is it all of a sudden these planets are being detected in this current time and not 10 years ago? YEs technology advanced over the last ten years, but that's shared technology.. Which makes 1 think SOME of EA*RTH have known of these EARTH like planets already or that this planet would be coming in range in approx. 30+/-years
from say the late 70z
yet didn't share on it. Makes 1 think a bit if you really concentrate.

So 1 enjoys the detections are being shared more publicly now days, and who knows SLAYER69 maybe some of the COSMIC FAMILY exist out in this region who have some of that ancient EA*RTH data do to their planets/Stars not being knocked out of the outter bands region of galaxy into to Journey mode..
snf

NAMASTE*******
LOVE LIGHT ETERNIA

posted on Dec, 31 2012 @ 11:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by LeLeu
I have noticed the same thing Slayer. I believe the eventual plan is to evacuate the Earth.
In 2300ad the Earth will be unable to sustain life as we have already past the point of no return as far as the
environment goes. Governments seem to be doing very little to address the Earths environment problems and we are currently living in the Holocene Extinction Level Event. Projects such as the 100 year starship project and the scramble to find a new terran planet lead me to believe this. It wont happen in our life time but in 200 years we may have to tech to do the job and find a new home.

My own opinion is that when the SHTF, only the elite will be evacuated with the rest of us left to fend for ourselves. I don't see the TPTB altruistically transferring billions of people. It's not practical or efficient.

posted on Dec, 31 2012 @ 11:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by gepetto
My own opinion is that when the SHTF, only the elite will be evacuated with the rest of us left to fend for ourselves. I don't see the TPTB altruistically transferring billions of people. It's not practical or efficient.

Ok,

Now hear me out for a second.

Maybe that isn't such a bad idea.
I'd love to see the elites to pack up their 'S***' and split.

posted on Dec, 31 2012 @ 11:57 AM
link   
It will be interesting to see what happens next year in terms of planet discoveries as we are getting more & more advanced with each year.
I think an earth like planet is out there somewhere but when we'll find it is another thing,hopefully next year.

posted on Dec, 31 2012 @ 12:02 PM
link   
reply to post by SLAYER69

Best idea this year
Give them their own planet! Hell give them a whole galaxy, just get em out of here

posted on Dec, 31 2012 @ 01:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by Ophiuchus 13

Originally posted by SLAYER69

Puts on foil hat.
Now that we've all survived doomsday does anybody think that maybe the increasing stories are for a reason like possible impending disclosure?

Or just simply good old fashion science and this possibility was inevitable?

ALL 1 feels is that EA*RTH has not been in this sector for many millennia SLAYER69. And maybe this sector is a region where more planets exist in the Milky way. Keeping in mind the spiral effect, not being straight linear path way as galaxy rotates, some planets may get somewhat left out in the outter bands of spirals. And again EA*RTH may just be re-encountering past located planets. I know its outta box, but factoring the 26,000 approx. spin it seems EA*RTH is making a complete cycle again.

Now could this involve celestial debris encounters from different comet/asteroids that may be more present out in this region,1 not sure. In relation to the doomsday prophesy ect.
- In relation to science 1 has observed over the last approx. 2 years more EARTH like planets being shared with the populace. Can it be disclosure for EA*RTH population, or just science sharing more. But.. why is it all of a sudden these planets are being detected in this current time and not 10 years ago? YEs technology advanced over the last ten years, but that's shared technology.. Which makes 1 think SOME of EA*RTH have known of these EARTH like planets already or that this planet would be coming in range in approx. 30+/-years
from say the late 70z
yet didn't share on it. Makes 1 think a bit if you really concentrate.

So 1 enjoys the detections are being shared more publicly now days, and who knows SLAYER69 maybe some of the COSMIC FAMILY exist out in this region who have some of that ancient EA*RTH data do to their planets/Stars not being knocked out of the outter bands region of galaxy into to Journey mode..
snf

NAMASTE*******
LOVE LIGHT ETERNIA

Why do you keep spelling Earth like that?

posted on Dec, 31 2012 @ 04:59 PM
link   
Keep the discoveries coming.

Just like a jigsaw puzzle, the more pieces you join the clearer the picture becomes.

Whether intelligent life is present is irrelevant (kind of), the fact that earth like planets are not unique will test many.

posted on Dec, 31 2012 @ 05:07 PM
link   

The first truly Earthlike alien planet is likely to be spotted next year, an epic discovery
that would cause humanity to reassess its place in the universe.

How the hell hasn't the billion of stars already there done that in the first place?
Seriously, whenever I read that line, and it comes up quite a bit, I shake my head.

As if what we haven't already learned hasn't had the capacity to do that...

How much of humanity is there left to convince or are they really that stupid..?

Durr noo other earthlike planets just dis 1

And it's not like that REALLY matters?? Ok, another Earth-like planet. Are we going to destroy that one too?

posted on Dec, 31 2012 @ 05:23 PM
link   
reply to post by yourmaker

That put a smile on my face.

Too true.

posted on Dec, 31 2012 @ 05:32 PM
link   
I bet there are thousands of earth-like planets out there.The problem will be getting there.Even if we could travel at lightspeed.If we could it would alleviate many problems here for sure and ensure mankinds survival if eart ever suffered a climatic event.

posted on Dec, 31 2012 @ 07:26 PM
link   
I cant wait to oneday meet some kind of "Alien" from another world.
There has to be life out there somewhere.

posted on Dec, 31 2012 @ 08:01 PM
link   

Seems to me they've been priming the pump for decades Slayer. But in this specific area, I agree that the past year or so has been particularly "forthcoming".

I am of the opinion they are always way ahead of what they announce, so most likely they have already been eyeballing our twin for quite some time. Whether they follow through with announcing it in 13 is another matter. Nevertheless, it's still an exciting prospect that life, and possibly a civilization could very well exist on that twin.

Who knows. Maybe they...are us...from a very long time ago.

"A long time ago in a galaxy far, far away...."

posted on Dec, 31 2012 @ 10:00 PM
link   
This reminds me of that movie 'Another Earth.' I hope they pick someone from Earth to go. I would totally go.

posted on Jan, 1 2013 @ 06:47 AM
link   

"ALIEN EARTH" A Great title for our own planet/. or a hollowood movie!
OH & SLAYER btw a big BTW 20 13
good year!

posted on Jan, 1 2013 @ 07:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by Hellhound604
and if we find another planet with life on it, what then????? why would that make any difference, as we still wouldn't be able to go and visit them. Even communicating with them will be next to impossible.

I was thinking about posting my reaction - "and then what"? - then I saw your post.

Indeed.... then what?

It's useless asking the scientists involved in such projects because most of them seem to live in their own little world (pun intended).
They think it matters. and it provides a good excuse (well, no, not really) for not devoting our collective resources to genuinely profitable exploration. And by "profitable" I don't mean material exploitation of resources only.

an epic discovery that would cause humanity to reassess its place in the universe.

That's the stupidest thing I've heard this year.

Since when does humanity have a single-minded "assessment" of its place in the universe?
It varies from individual to individual, but most people don't even devote much thought to the question. And why would they? How would the definite knowledge that there are other inhabited planets impact our daily lives? Or even philosophy? We would still be we, with our specific predicaments.

The only sectors I can see profitting from such a "reassessment" are, who else?, politics and the armament industry.
You know, our neighbors could be dangerous.

edit on 1-1-2013 by AdAstra because: (no reason given)

edit on 1-1-2013 by AdAstra because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 1 2013 @ 09:07 AM
link   
reply to post by AdAstra

How would the definite knowledge that there are other inhabited planets impact our daily lives?

Well first, you have to step outside of your own narrow world view, and see that revelation from the perspective of the different folks around you. There of course, will be those who like you, who will greet it with less than enthusiasm. Some will see it as a confirmation of what they already believed they knew. Some will be frightened, and some will be quite angry, and even violent.

For the planet as a whole, it will definitely impact our species, and quite profoundly I'd say. An "official" word of life on other planets, especially intelligent life, changes the whole ball game. You're talking about taking something from the realm of science-fiction, and making it a reality in billions of lives. That's going to make an impact world-wide on a daily basis. That changes the consensus of what reality is for an entire species.

Believe it or not, that could have serious, long term, repercussions if not handled properly. Which is why it isn't likely to happen anytime soon. Governments are quite aware of the narrow-mindedness of the worlds population, considering they helped to create that mindset.

The only sectors I can see profitting from such a "reassessment" are, who else?, politics and the armament industry. You know, our neighbors could be dangerous.

Not only them, but an accurate enough statement I must agree with.

posted on Jan, 1 2013 @ 09:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by Hellhound604
reply to post by Snoopie

It is just that we have the technology now, and the know-how to find more and more planets around stars. We will continue to find more and smaller planets around other stars, much as what we are finding more and more NEA's. I fail to see why discovering another "earth" would make any difference to us as a human race.

Maye you don't feel the urgency in ensuring that the human species lives on. I tell you that it is nothing short of a miracle that we've survived this long on planet earth. Disease, natural disasters, maybe there's a moon-size asteroid waiting to smash into the planet... One super-volcano erupting and we could become extinct.

At the very least I want us to find habitable planets and shoot canisters of our DNA to them, along with the information of who we are and what we've learned. Maybe we are the gardeners of the universe.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join