It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

2013 just might be the year scientists find first 'alien Earth'

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 1 2013 @ 10:20 AM
link   
If and when they discover an "alien" earth, I for one would be incredibly excited! I feel that if we do discover a planet close enough to earth like attributes, it would give the nations here at home an incentive to pull their technology to advance space travel far enough to actually make the journey to a new frontier
Untold amounts of new knowledge (and resources) are out there just waiting to be discovered

posted on Jan, 1 2013 @ 11:27 AM
link   
reply to post by iamhobo

They should (are?) be thinking on how to get there right now.

posted on Jan, 1 2013 @ 05:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by Hellhound604
and if we find another planet with life on it, what then????? why would that make any difference, as we still wouldn't be able to go and visit them. Even communicating with them will be next to impossible.

Discovery is it's own end-goal sometimes. Otherwise we'd never look up at all.

posted on Jan, 1 2013 @ 05:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by ziplock9000

Originally posted by Hellhound604
and if we find another planet with life on it, what then????? why would that make any difference, as we still wouldn't be able to go and visit them. Even communicating with them will be next to impossible.

Discovery is it's own end-goal sometimes. Otherwise we'd never look up at all.

I don't argue with you on that one I think it will be the discovery of our lifetimes, but I cannot see why it would be a life-changing event. The earth will still go around the sun, wars will still be waged, the rich will still get richer and the poor poorer.

We can't go and visit them, we most probably wouldn't even be able to communicate with them if it is intelligent life.

posted on Jan, 1 2013 @ 10:20 PM
link   
reply to post by SLAYER69

I've noticed it too.

It's like they waited for 'Nibiru' mythology to become mainstream and then start hammering us with Hollywood flicks (Transformers 3, Another Earth and Melancholia, TV show 'The Event') of transitory planetary bodies arriving (Another Earth and Melancholia) or 'warping' into our system (Transformers 3 and The Event) and then they start disclosing more and more factual info on the possibilities of habitable planets, and 'rogue' planets.

Nevertheless it is all very interesting, entertaining, and the wait continues.
edit on 1-1-2013 by LightAssassin because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 2 2013 @ 08:23 PM
link   
reply to post by Dustofenese

I can see you now.....rubbing your grubby little hands together just waiting to kill any native habitant in order to obtain that unobtainium.

Endless cycle of never learning. It sickens me sometimes.

posted on Jan, 3 2013 @ 01:06 PM
link   
reply to post by SLAYER69

s&f bud. The thing that irks me about these discoveries is that we don't have the technology to get there.

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join