It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Aether: Does the Aether Exist, or Not?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 30 2012 @ 12:28 PM
link   
I'd like to hear both sides of the Aether story.

I think the Aether exists and that its probably been covered up in order to keep people from discovering it's fantastic attributes, like free vehicular travel on Earth and in outer space.

Einstien supposedly made a statement that the Aether exists.
www.youtube.com...

Tesla supposedly understood the aether and used it in lots of his technology, including his aether powered Pierce Arrow car that he supposedly converted over.

What is holding back the rediscovery of the aether? Why would this technology be held back? Does this technology really exist? Does the aether really exist? How does the aether compare to "dark matter"?

posted on Dec, 30 2012 @ 12:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by RussianScientists
I'd like to hear both sides of the Aether story.

Can you provide your definition of the Aether? That way the discussion / rant-fest has a better chance of staying on track.

Cheers,

posted on Dec, 30 2012 @ 12:42 PM
link   
If you are referring to the old model of aether being the matter that holds everything together-similar to the description of dark matter, but ubiquitous then, no-there is no evidence for it at all. The original hypothesis described reality like all matter floating in an ocean of this substance called Aether.

If its something else-then I guess what I said isn't applicable

posted on Dec, 30 2012 @ 01:11 PM
link   
The Aether, or "Ether" as described by Nikola Tesla:

"Ether is the cause of every magnetic field."

"Electicity could not exist without ether."

"Ether is the medium for every electromagnetic wave, from radio waves to gamma rays."

"Every particle in the universe is bathed in a sea of ether, including the orbiting electrons of atoms and plasma."

"Ether is how particles moving near the speed of light in a vacuum "know" how fast they are moving, even if they are accelerated very, very slowly."

"When ether get cold enough, its properties change, causing strange phenomena to both atoms and light. In fact using very cold temperatures is a way to isolate exactly what ether affects. It may turn out that very cold temperatures are to "ether physics" as accelerators are to particle physics."

"Ere many generations pass, our machinery will be driven by a power obtainable at any point in the universe. This idea is not novel... we find it in the delightful myth of Antheus, who derives power from the earth; we find it amoung the subtle speculations of one of your splendid mathematicians.... Throughout space there is energy. Is this energy static or kinetic? If static our hopes are in vain, if kinetic - and this we know it is, for certain - then it is a mere question of time when men shall succeed in attaching their machinery to the very wheelwork of nature."

posted on Dec, 30 2012 @ 01:13 PM
link   
reply to post by LetsGoViking

I hope the above post answers your question.

posted on Dec, 30 2012 @ 01:14 PM
link   
reply to post by lordtyp0

I'm thinking of it as described by Nikola Tesla two posts above.

posted on Dec, 30 2012 @ 01:45 PM
link   
This is what's confusing me. "Aether" has become "ether".

e·ther
/ˈēTHər/
Noun
A pleasant-smelling, highly flammable, colorless, volatile liquid, C2H5OC2H5, used as an...
Any organic compound with a similar structure to this, having an oxygen atom linking two alkyl or other organic groups.

Aether, when it was first called by such a name, doesn't exactly match the qualities described by Tesla. Let's just say that it's birth and the evolution of its understanding has created a very long trail of "crumbs". I don't know if ATS is capable of creating a comprehensive assessment without getting mixed up between sources and extrapolation.

posted on Dec, 30 2012 @ 01:48 PM
link   
In my opinion, no, it does not exist.

Just more simpleminded hoo-ha... reminds me of Phlogiston theory.

It's a joke.

posted on Dec, 30 2012 @ 02:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by AfterInfinity
This is what's confusing me. "Aether" has become "ether".

e·ther
/ˈēTHər/
Noun
A pleasant-smelling, highly flammable, colorless, volatile liquid, C2H5OC2H5, used as an...
Any organic compound with a similar structure to this, having an oxygen atom linking two alkyl or other organic groups.

Aether, when it was first called by such a name, doesn't exactly match the qualities described by Tesla. Let's just say that it's birth and the evolution of its understanding has created a very long trail of "crumbs". I don't know if ATS is capable of creating a comprehensive assessment without getting mixed up between sources and extrapolation.

I'll accept your thoughts, especially of a very long trail of crumbs. When there is a trail left by crumbs, it can lead to things, great things yet to be "discovered".

ATS is definitely capable of a comprehensive assessment, there are many on here that know that there is something to the ether, or aether theory.

posted on Dec, 30 2012 @ 02:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by retirednature
In my opinion, no, it does not exist.

Just more simpleminded hoo-ha... reminds me of Phlogiston theory.

It's a joke.

I'll accept your opinion that its simpleminded hoo-ha and that its a joke only if you have some type of evidence to back up your statements. Surely you don't want us to believe in your statements without you furnishing some type of scientific reason why you made such statements.

posted on Dec, 30 2012 @ 02:34 PM
link   
reply to post by RussianScientists

I'll accept your opinion that its simpleminded hoo-ha and that its a joke only if you have some type of evidence to back up your statements. Surely you don't want us to believe in your statements without you furnishing some type of scientific reason why you made such statements.

What is your evidence for the existence of the aether, other than "Tesla said so"?

posted on Dec, 30 2012 @ 04:09 PM
link   

In a little-known tale of 20th Century physics, Einstein himself regretted his 1905 dismissal of the ether as “superfluous,” in his seminal paper on special relativity. Einstein’s own thinking evolved to the point that he realized that some type of (relativistic) ether was theoretically necessary after all. Einstein called this his “new ether,” but changed his terminology over time, as we shall see below.

In sum, the recent evidence regarding the Higgs boson lend support to Einstein’s “new ether” concept and, more generally, to the idea that there is a ground of being that undergirds our reality: the “seeds of our existence,” as Krauss states. This ground of being is apparently not directly detectable but we can infer its presence through many lines of reasoning, including discoveries like the Higgs field, if this data is supported by future experiments.

www.independent.com...

softaether.blogspot.com... -of.html

edit on 30-12-2012 by deadeyedick because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 30 2012 @ 04:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by deadeyedick

Einstein himself regretted his 1905 dismissal of the ether as “superfluous,”

He most certainly did not! This is totally ridiculous. He did not publish one single paper or write one single letter which assumed there was an aether, after 1905.

Not to mention that any theory of an aether (it's possible to write down the most general possible one), pretty aggressively contradicts observations.

In sum, the recent evidence regarding the Higgs boson lend support to Einstein’s “new ether” concept

No, it doesn't, and this suggestion is totally insane. The Higgs boson does not introduce any preferred reference frames; it's completely relativistic! The theory would predict ridiculously wrong things if you tried to make it non-relativistic (which is something easy enough any physics grad student can do).

Anyone who says the Higgs is like an aether either doesn't know what they're talking about, or is carelessly oversimplifying to try to sell their crappy pop-sci books.

posted on Dec, 30 2012 @ 04:56 PM
link   

“I agree with you that the general theory of relativity is closer to the ether hypothesis than the special theory. This new ether theory, however, would not violate the principle of relativity, because the state of this … ether would not be that of a rigid body in an independent state of motion, but every state of motion would be a function of position determined by material processes.”

Einstein also wrote in a 1919 letter to Lorentz:

“It would have been more correct if I had limited myself, in my earlier publications, to emphasizing only the non-existence of an ether velocity, instead of arguing the total non-existence of the ether, for I can see that with the word ether we say nothing else than that space has to be viewed as a carrier of physical qualities.”

You may be right as far as i know.

posted on Dec, 30 2012 @ 05:10 PM
link   
Superfluid Vacuum Theory (which is a very plausable Quantum model given recent Higgs developments) assumes an Aether of sorts.

en.wikipedia.org...

If you want a fairly intuitive argument around Aether/the Universal Medium there are a couple of theories worth investigating IMO:

Quantum Space Summarised by Thad Roberts:

As a spe­cific form of Superfluid Vacuum theory (SVT), quantum space theory (qst) is an approach within the­o­ret­ical physics and quantum mechanics that stands as a can­di­date for the theory of quantum gravity. The theory assumes a super­fluid vacuum whose geo­metric struc­ture can be prox­i­mately described as an acoustic metric and ulti­mately described as a hier­ar­chal fractal. Specifically it assumes that the super­fluid vacuum is con­structed from quanta that are in turn con­structed (via self-similarity and scale invari­ance) from sub­quanta, and so on ad infinitum.

This geo­metric pic­ture realigns our expec­ta­tions of Nature. In as much as those expec­ta­tions repro­duce the mys­teries of physics, they give us intu­itive access to (and geo­metric expla­na­tions of) their ori­gins. For example, the assump­tion that the vacuum is a super­fluid (or a BEC) auto­mat­i­cally enables us to derive Schrödinger’s non-linear wave equa­tion, also known as the Gross-Pitaevskii equa­tion, from first prin­ci­ples. This offers us unprece­dented onto­log­ical access to what the wave equa­tion means and why it is written into Nature. Furthermore, by treating the vacuum as an acoustic metric, or a BEC, we auto­mat­i­cally end up with an ana­logue for gen­eral relativity’s curved space­time within regimes of low momenta. This pic­ture also dis­solves the mys­tery of mass gen­er­a­tion, the ques­tion of how the Higgs boson gets its mass, because it por­trays mass gen­er­a­tion sim­ilar to the gap gen­er­a­tion mech­a­nism in super­con­duc­tors or super­fluids. In other words, mass become a con­se­quence of sym­metry breaking quantum vor­tices forming in the vacuum condensate.

einsteinsintuition.com...

And

On the Nature of Space, Matter and Gravity

docs.google.com...
edit on 30-12-2012 by Jukiodone because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 30 2012 @ 06:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by iterationzero

What is your evidence for the existence of the aether, other than "Tesla said so"?

I'll give my evidence herein, and then hopefully you will give us your evidence.

My evidence that there exists an Aether, or Ether is....

I've been scratching my head for decades thinking about what exactly it is that I've discovered. What I've discovered and have written about quite "publically" and have videos on YouTube has always made me wonder many things.

One of the main things that I wonder about is, why others haven't figured out how to detect earthquakes before they strike? Its quite obvious to me, using the piezoseismic system that I use, that earthquakes are very easy to detect before they strike; simply because the energy that's emitted from the ground is tremendous, and I mean tremendous in scope compared to anything else that takes place on Earth (except volcanic eruptions).

I never hear about anybody measuring the energy in the air, or the energy that exists in outer space, or the energy in the ground below our feet. This energy exists everywhere in the universe, and has different values everywhere you go... even though they are basically the same per given area. Why don't we hear about people measuring the energy of everything? Where are all of the charts of all the energies that are given off by everything? Its like a whole large chunk of science is completely missing, and its the most important chunk of science if there's ever going to be free energy like Tesla was going to give the world.

I've kept wondering for decades why haven't others detected this energy that exists all around us? In fact I've made it very public as to my discoveries, yet no one else seems to have made these discoveries. I put more and more clues on the Internet, and soon I'll make some more videos, but so far no one else has made any of these discoveries. Why?

There is no doubt in my mind that electricity and magnetism can't exist without this energy that comes from the aether, or ether. Furthermore, this aether/ether is everywhere, and it penetrates through everything like it doesn't exist.

By using what I call the aether, I can set up a system where a special set of binoculars can see what amount of energy exists in its field of focus at a great distance even though the special set of binoculars is looking right through metal houses and hills and trees. You could look through those binoculars with your own eyes, and all you would see would be the metal houses, the hills or the trees; yet what is recorded is totally different.

I use, what I'm now calling the Aether, or Ether to measure any type of energy that exists. How many of you can measure the energy that is given off by a tree straining in your front yard when the wind is blowing; or a road sign when the wind is blowing? How many of you can measure the difference in energy given off by clouds covering the sky above you? Or, can measure that at a very specific time of day, that night is coming? How many of you can set up a tracking system by using a dish that actually can track exactly where the Sun is after it goes down beyond the horizon for hours afterwards by the energy that is still being detected coming through thousands of miles of the Earth from the Sun? All of this stuff is easy, it's for beginners as far as I'm concerned.

There is no doubt what-so-ever that Tesla discovered some of this easy stuff, and since he was a whiz at electricity he created his own free energy systems, like his 1920's Pierce Arrow car that he installed a mystery box into that could make his car go a supposed 90 miles per hour without fuel. There's also no doubt in my mind that engineers, physicists, earth scientists, archeologists, and others all over the world are going to make so many new discoveries that there will be a second revolution in science. The amount of new jobs that will be created from the great scientific discoveries alone will be astronomical.

That's only a small hint at my personal evidence that the Aether/ether exists.

posted on Dec, 30 2012 @ 06:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by deadeyedick

In a little-known tale of 20th Century physics, Einstein himself regretted his 1905 dismissal of the ether as “superfluous,” in his seminal paper on special relativity. Einstein’s own thinking evolved to the point that he realized that some type of (relativistic) ether was theoretically necessary after all. Einstein called this his “new ether,” but changed his terminology over time, as we shall see below.

In sum, the recent evidence regarding the Higgs boson lend support to Einstein’s “new ether” concept and, more generally, to the idea that there is a ground of being that undergirds our reality: the “seeds of our existence,” as Krauss states. This ground of being is apparently not directly detectable but we can infer its presence through many lines of reasoning, including discoveries like the Higgs field, if this data is supported by future experiments.

www.independent.com...

softaether.blogspot.com... -of.html

Those sites don't work.
edit on 30-12-2012 by RussianScientists because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 30 2012 @ 06:20 PM
link   

I'll give my evidence herein, and then hopefully you will give us your evidence.

Evidence for what? The claims that I'm not making? You're claiming the aether exists, I'm asking for evidence.

You're making numerous claims here. I hope you don't mind, in order to prevent this from becoming a Gish Gallop, that I simply address the first one first, etc.

Its quite obvious to me, using the piezoseismic system that I use, that earthquakes are very easy to detect before they strike; simply because the energy that's emitted from the ground is tremendous, and I mean tremendous in scope compared to anything else that takes place on Earth (except volcanic eruptions).

Can you provide some kind of evidence that you've successfully predicted earthquakes?

posted on Dec, 30 2012 @ 08:09 PM
link   

I got the first link working. It's worth a look.

Here is the second link.
aether blog

posted on Dec, 30 2012 @ 08:14 PM
link   
Pre-Maxwell, it was thought you needed an "aether" for electromagnetic fields to propagate, the way sound propagates in air.

It turns out you don't. EM waves are self-propagating. You don't need a medium for them to "wave" in, the way you need one with sound.

That, and any number of failed attempts to detect any sort of 'aether' resulted in it being discarded as a serious theory in the early 1900's.

However, considering most of you are using LCD screens, you ought to immediately understand that "aether" doesn't exist. Your LCD works.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join