It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Smartest Man in America says God exists

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+26 more 
posted on Dec, 30 2012 @ 07:43 AM
link   

Christopher Michael Langan (born c. 1952) is an American autodidact whose IQ was reported by 20/20 and other media sources to have been measured at between 195 and 210.[1] Billed by some media sources as "the smartest man in America",[2] he rose to prominence in 1999 while working as a bouncer on Long Island. Langan has developed his own "theory of the relationship between mind and reality" which he calls the "Cognitive-Theoretic Model of the Universe (CTMU)"

Heard this guy on coast to coast am recently, and found him pretty fascinating. Anyways, here are quotes from him on wikipedia;

I believe in the theory of evolution, but I believe as well in the allegorical truth of creation theory. In other words, I believe that evolution, including the principle of natural selection, is one of the tools used by God to create mankind. Mankind is then a participant in the creation of the universe itself, so that we have a closed loop. I believe that there is a level on which science and religious metaphor are mutually compatible.

Langan explains on his website that he believes "since Biblical accounts of the genesis of our world and species are true but metaphorical, our task is to correctly decipher the metaphor in light of scientific evidence also given to us by God". He explains

In explaining this relationship, the CTMU shows that reality possesses a complex property akin to self-awareness. That is, just as the mind is real, reality is in some respects like a mind. But when we attempt to answer the obvious question "whose mind?", the answer turns out to be a mathematical and scientific definition of God. This implies that we all exist in what can be called "the Mind of God", and that our individual minds are parts of God's Mind. They are not as powerful as God's Mind, for they are only parts thereof; yet, they are directly connected to the greatest source of knowledge and power that exists. This connection of our minds to the Mind of God, which is like the connection of parts to a whole, is what we sometimes call the soul or spirit, and it is the most crucial and essential part of being human.[25]

Langan has said elsewhere that he does not belong to any religious denomination, explaining that he "can't afford to let [his] logical approach to theology be prejudiced by religious dogma."[14] He calls himself "a respecter of all faiths, among peoples everywhere."

en.wikipedia.org...

Anyone heard of him before? What are your thoughts on his 'Cognitive-Theoretic Model of the Universe'?

Here is his website as well, which can also be found at the wikipedia link above.

www.megainternational.org...

+5 more 
posted on Dec, 30 2012 @ 07:46 AM
link   
All I have to say is....It's all in the eye of the beholder..as to "the smartest man in America".

+10 more 
posted on Dec, 30 2012 @ 07:48 AM
link   
reply to post by Runciter33

I'm sure this thread will gain much attention from various groups posting various opinions for various reasons.

I believe in the theory of evolution, but I believe as well in the allegorical truth of creation theory. In other words, I believe that evolution, including the principle of natural selection, is one of the tools used by God to create mankind. Mankind is then a participant in the creation of the universe itself, so that we have a closed loop. I believe that there is a level on which science and religious metaphor are mutually compatible

I've argued a very similar stance in some of my threads and in thread replies on similar topics.

Flame on.

+17 more 
posted on Dec, 30 2012 @ 07:51 AM
link   

Well, first, being the "smartest man in America" does not necessarily make his claims any more relevant or true than the normal human being. The evidence for, or against, his theories does. Accepting his work because he is touted as intelligent is a logical fallacy: an appeal to authority.

Second, it is a well established fact, outside of theologians, that the Bible is rife with inconsistencies, false history, and inaccurate mathematical, biological, and other scientific "facts." If his theorem is developed on any type of Biblical account, creation science, personal faith, or religious doctrine, then it is inherently false.

It could certainly serve as a spiritual belief though. But eventually we all have to realize that introspective and subjective internal "Truths" will most likely never become objective scientific laws. Adding "God" as the "cause" of evolution is unnecessary, as evolution needs no cause. It is just as likely to have been random, chance, or accidental. Saying "God did it" is an emotional response to a human desire to be important and special.

Just my two cents, obviously. I know many on ATS will gobble this up and absolutely love that the "smartest man in America" believes in God.

~ Wandering Scribe

edit on 30/12/12 by Wandering Scribe because: spelling

posted on Dec, 30 2012 @ 07:51 AM
link   
I tend to agree that there is a divine intelligence behind existence, but am curious if he has answers to the following questions:

1. What evidence does he have that the Biblical creation story is "allegorically true"? Why not the Sumerian creation story, or any other ancient creation story?

2. What are his views of good and evil, and how does he reconcile those views with the hideous actions attributed to "god" in the Old Testament?

3. Why is he working as a bouncer?

posted on Dec, 30 2012 @ 07:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by SLAYER69

I'm sure this thread will gain much attention from various groups posting various opinions for various reasons.

I believe in the theory of evolution, but I believe as well in the allegorical truth of creation theory. In other words, I believe that evolution, including the principle of natural selection, is one of the tools used by God to create mankind. Mankind is then a participant in the creation of the universe itself, so that we have a closed loop. I believe that there is a level on which science and religious metaphor are mutually compatible

I've argued a very similar stance in some of my threads and in thread replies on similar topics.

Flame on.

Yeah, it's called - hedging your bets.

I actually agree with this, so I guess that puts the three of us in a tie for the smartest people in America?

posted on Dec, 30 2012 @ 07:54 AM
link   
If everyone believed in God, perhaps they would behave more and not have so many wars.

Perhaps hes just smart enough to know that God is a good idea, rather than actually real.

+15 more 
posted on Dec, 30 2012 @ 07:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by Biigs
If everyone believed in God, perhaps they would behave more and not have so many wars.

Can't say I agree here. More wars have been waged in the name of God than for any other reason.

+5 more 
posted on Dec, 30 2012 @ 07:57 AM
link   
reply to post by Biigs

If his idea of God is the Christian one I'd beg to disagree that it would cause less wars. War is something that the God of the Bible absolutely loves. Especially when it's His followers slaughtering those who don't believe in Him. Moving away from religion, from faith, and from God is, to me, the best idea. Religion divides us into creeds and sects, instead of uniting us under our common humanity.

~ Wandering Scribe

posted on Dec, 30 2012 @ 07:58 AM
link   
reply to post by kaylaluv

I wish the title of "The Smartest man blah blah blah" was a non issue and the discussion of the theory was more prominent. Hedging bets? No. Just a way for me personally how I've come to grips with God and evolution.

I've repeatedly stated that for many and all too often the argument boils down to [one or the other] never a mixture of the two.

I always ask why can't it be both?

edit on 30-12-2012 by SLAYER69 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 30 2012 @ 07:59 AM
link   
Who died and made this guy the smartest man in America? I'm not impressed by an IQ score as I have met some MENSA candidates who can show you how to make a nuclear bomb with dog poop and two AA batteries but, for some odd reason seem unable to operate an elevator.

I am not anti-intellectual, but I find it hilarious people are willing to give this man that title without knowing him simply because he scored high on a test. I bet I can find at least three people in his life who think he is a raging idiot. So, with that in mind I don't care what he thinks about the existence of God. I have no doubt he is smarter than me (and he shouldn't get too cocky about that cause it's not hard to do) but, I'm not giving title to anyone I haven't met.

In closing: ain't nobody got time for that.
edit on 30-12-2012 by antonia because: added a thought

posted on Dec, 30 2012 @ 08:03 AM
link   
reply to post by SilentKoala

1. Because he's probably never studied any religious history outside of the Christian one. He is an American after all. America is pretty much dominated by Christian theology. You have to have an active interest in alternative religions to actually find out that the Sumerian, Babylonian, Egyptian, Greek, and other Creation stories are echoed in the Biblical account.

2, and 3, I'd like to know as well. You'd think the "smartest man in America" could get a job, well, just about anywhere he wants to. Maybe as a scientist, or a professor at a university, a political adviser, or something better than just as a bouncer.

Good posts.

~ Wandering Scribe

posted on Dec, 30 2012 @ 08:03 AM
link   
one of the smartest men on the planet stephen hawking also said aliens exist.. its all a matter of opinion.

posted on Dec, 30 2012 @ 08:06 AM
link   

His theory only validates that this universe can be a small part of something else. Something much bigger. What bothers me is the break in the evidence that causes him to LEAP to the premise of a god.

The basic (beyond-the-ultra-microscopic) building blocks of everything is energy. We can't see this energy, it's so small. The energy collects to make quantum material. The quantum material combines into atoms, that mix into molecules, that create cells, that form simple organisms, that gather to make complex organisms, that come together to make us and all that we see. If we follow the logic of this evidence, then it is only logical that we, too, are part of a larger organism. Maybe each galaxy is a cell in a living thing in a higher dimension.

We know that when a body is injured, white cells rush to the wound to begin the healing process. Our galaxies are rushing off to who knows where or why, but would it be illogical to assume that the same process might be at work here?

posted on Dec, 30 2012 @ 08:07 AM
link   
Another "the pope/msm/___ /best ___ /most ___ /most renowned ___ said it so it MUST be true" thread. That's quite funny.

edit on 30-12-2012 by D1ss1dent because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 30 2012 @ 08:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by misscurious
one of the smartest men on the planet stephen hawking also said aliens exist.. its all a matter of opinion.

LOL I decided to let others mention Hawkings, who also tried having us believe that energy is lost in black holes. I remember when he came out with this and I thought, 'Oh, he really stepped in it this time." I didn't buy it for one second.

posted on Dec, 30 2012 @ 08:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by Biigs

Perhaps hes just smart enough to know that God is a good idea, rather than actually real.

I dont actually agree with this, i was postulating a reason a man smart enough to know there isnt a God - may say he believes for other reasons.

Many religions texts are interpreted for any purpose's a person can dream up to get away with what they want.

Pretty sure they all say dont kill people, yet thats ignored to adhere to other parts of the texts. Unfortunately theres no order of importance with religious texts - you just pick the bit you want and ignore everything else.

For example, the bible says "Do not lie with a man as one lies with a woman; that is detestable." but it also says "honor my father and mother?" what if my father lays with another man, do i have to honor him still?

Religions are incredibly peaceful, blaming wars on a book is stupid, blame the men!
edit on 30-12-2012 by Biigs because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 30 2012 @ 08:10 AM
link   
lol, I understand where this guy is coming from with his theory, I've held a similar idea myself.
You want to grow a tree, you plant a seed. you want to grow a garden you make a garden bed.
if your God... well you get the picture.
Whats more fun than starting at the beginning and watching how it all unfolds.
But hey we are the ones that still cant get off our own planet yet claim to know all there is to know about life, the universe and everything else.

posted on Dec, 30 2012 @ 08:15 AM
link   
I'm pretty sure most intelligent people declare themselves Atheist/Agnostic.

Einstein for one.

posted on Dec, 30 2012 @ 08:15 AM
link   
reply to post by PLAYERONE01

We've been to the moon 6 times. Also, we have an awesome little robot on Mars.

Just sayin' !

~ Wandering Scribe

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join