It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Idiot Doomsday Tourists Do 'Irreparable' Damage to Ancient Mayan Pyramid

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 28 2012 @ 08:57 PM
link   
Idiots

The largest ancient pre-Columbian Mayan archeological site in the world, Guatemala's UNESCO World Heritage site at Tikal, sustained "irreparable" damage from tourists throwing doomsday tourism parties last week. Some of the 7,000 revelers—hopped up on a combination of liquor and self-entitlement—scaled the steps of the site's ancient Temple of the Mask pyramid.

So we have ruins that stood the test of time for thousands of years only to have you people ruin the ruins.
Seriously? I don't get it. Please enlighten me.
edit on 28-12-2012 by ZetaRediculian because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 28 2012 @ 09:01 PM
link   
reply to post by ZetaRediculian

People do stupid things then regret it later. I am sure you have done stupid things and later regretted it.
Sometimes people don't think before they act. Some don't even care.

In this day and age it should not surprise you.

posted on Dec, 28 2012 @ 09:03 PM
link   

Not sure who you are referring to in your post, but 7000 idiots doesn't make up anyone here and that's only .000001 of the world population

But with so many folks on this planet, it's only a matter of time for a small group of idiots to damage some of the ancient gems we have around the world...

posted on Dec, 28 2012 @ 09:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheCanuckian

People do stupid things then regret it later. I am sure you have done stupid things and later regretted it.
Sometimes people don't think before they act. Some don't even care.

In this day and age it should not surprise you.

This is about these believing some prophecy about the Mayans that the Mayans didn't start, and yet trashing their culture (or whats left of it).

Idiots is too nice a word for them, even before they arrived to party.

posted on Dec, 28 2012 @ 09:07 PM
link   
Beaten to death already, here and here.

posted on Dec, 28 2012 @ 09:07 PM
link   
That is really sad. I don't know what the hell would compel someone to be so disrespectful. Good thing no harm came from these predictions
This is sickening.

“Sadly, many tourists climbed Temple II and caused damage,” said Osvaldo Gomez, a technical adviser at the site, which is located some 550 kilometers north of Guatemala City.

“We are fine with the celebration, but (the tourists) should be more aware because this is a (UNESCO) World Heritage Site,” he told local media.

Gomez did not specify what was done, although he did say it was forbidden to climb the stairs at the site and indicated that the damage was irreparable.

news.in.msn.com...

edit on 28-12-2012 by forgetmenot because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 28 2012 @ 09:10 PM
link   
so some people ruined some ruins?

Well thats what they get for for having a calender that didnt have an infinite amount of years months and days

posted on Dec, 28 2012 @ 09:29 PM
link   
They probably though the ruins would be destroyed that day anyway

posted on Dec, 28 2012 @ 10:11 PM
link   
They should of been banned from going anywhere near the site, especially under the influence of alcohol. I hope the morons feel proud of themselves.

posted on Dec, 28 2012 @ 10:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by lobotomizemecapin
so some people ruined some ruins?

Its called a bit of respect.

Well thats what they get for for having a calender that didnt have an infinite amount of years months and days

hardly a reason to ruin ruins.. Morons sums it up.

posted on Dec, 28 2012 @ 10:47 PM
link   
Maybe the mayans predicted the destruction of there own temple

posted on Dec, 28 2012 @ 11:31 PM
link   
It's about having some respect for cultures before us.. think of what the sphinx would look like today if napoleon and his idiots hadn't blasted the damn thing with canons...

posted on Dec, 29 2012 @ 12:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by ZetaRediculian
So we have ruins that stood the test of time for thousands of years only to have you people ruin the ruins.
Seriously? I don't get it.

Please enlighten me.

Okay.
These people wanted to party.

People throwing these type of doomsday drunken parties aren't spiritualist newagers, they're the people who don't believe in that sort of thing and are actually mocking it.

I've heard of some doomsday parties around my area, a couple coming up for the new year, and it's just people having another excuse to have a party, not a group of newagers expecting to be lifted up into a higher plane on a 5th of vodka.

In short, because of all the Mayan hype, 'Doomsday' is just a party theme.

- Lee

posted on Dec, 29 2012 @ 12:59 AM
link   
The author sounds like he's making this up and I don't believe him... Digital cameras and picture phones are incredibly common, why aren't there any pics of the damage ?

posted on Dec, 29 2012 @ 02:21 AM
link   
reply to post by gnosticagnostic

think of what the sphinx would look like today if napoleon and his idiots hadn't blasted the damn thing with canons...

Apparently that's a myth. I don't have time to find a link right now.

posted on Dec, 29 2012 @ 12:52 PM
link   
reply to post by Wide-Eyes

it's all good.. i have heard that it's a myth too.. but none the less a good lesson
whether or not it's true i don't know people sold mummies for all types of things too.. eek!

posted on Dec, 29 2012 @ 12:59 PM
link   
That is disgusting and truly sad. People like that ruin touring for the rest of us, and those people could care less I bet. Shameful!

posted on Dec, 29 2012 @ 01:07 PM
link   
Don't (some of you) have ANY respect for wonders of the world, for monuments, for evidence of history? Some very uneducated ones must be posting around... 'ruined the ruins'

Originally posted by Jay Electronica
The author sounds like he's making this up and I don't believe him... Digital cameras and picture phones are incredibly common, why aren't there any pics of the damage ?

latino.foxnews.com...

Why should we be skeptical about such a thing, need more evidence?

And then tell me that the current population isn't trash... and doesn't need recycling.
edit on 29-12-2012 by ImpactoR because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 29 2012 @ 01:20 PM
link   
reply to post by ImpactoR

no of course not.. how many of the 7 wonders of the world are left for us to see??

posted on Dec, 29 2012 @ 01:40 PM
link   

Thread already up on this here:

www.abovetopsecret.com...

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join