It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Fact: gun confiscations do not reduce crime.

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 22 2012 @ 09:03 AM
link   

Chicago Gun Ban Axed After Violent Weekend: At Least 29 Shot, 3 Dead In Weekend Shootings.

Even with the gun ban in place, shootings in Chicago have been rampant. Last weekend, at least 52 were shot and ten killed in just three days, and this weekend the gunfire continued.

Chicago Police Department statistics, we are told, reveal that the City's handgun murder rate has actually increased since the ban was enacted and that Chicago residents now face one of the highest murder rates in the country and rates of other violent crimes that exceed the average in comparable cities.

Handgun crime 'up' despite ban.

A new study suggests the use of handguns in crime rose by 40% in the two years after the weapons were banned.

The most violent country in Europe: Britain is also worse than South Africa and U.S..

Britain's violent crime record is worse than any other country in the European union, it has been revealed. Official crime figures show the UK also has a worse rate for all types of violence than the U.S. and even South Africa - widely considered one of the world's most dangerous countries.

"Those Who Sacrifice Liberty For Security Deserve Neither."

But it wont make us any more secure. As a matter of fact, it will make us less secure because the criminals will always find a way to get guns.

Do you really want the police, government and criminals (not mutually exclusive) to be the only ones with guns? Really?

The two leading causes of death are heart disease and cancer, accounting for 1.2 million dead. “Gun” related deaths don’t even make the top 10, its not even close (8,500 deaths in 2011).

So why is the government and the propaganda network so worried about a cause of death which in comparison, is virtually non-existent?

Its not about safety people. Its about CONTROL. THE government is scared of the American people, FINALLY.

Listen to the words of this prophetic man from June of 2001. Even though he is discussing 9/11, at 1:30 he explains the motivation for such an attack, WAKE UP, please:

edit on 22-12-2012 by gladtobehere because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 22 2012 @ 09:35 AM
link   
Look at Jamaica's gun confiscation in the early 70's.

The Jamaican government decided that the only solution to this volatile situation was to declare martial law overnight, and to demand that all guns and bullets owned by anyone but the police and the military be turned into the police within 24 hours. The government decreed that anyone caught with even one bullet would be immediately, and without trial, incarcerated in what was essentially a barbed-wire enclosed concentration camp which had been speedily erected in the middle of Kingston. In true Orwellian fashion, the government referred to this camp as "the gun court."

I remember lying awake in bed at night, clutching the handle of an ice-pick I had put under my pillow, and listening to the screaming of car-loads of Jamaican gangs going by our house, praying that they wouldn't pick our home to plunder. The favorite tactic was for a group of thugs to roar up to a house, pile out, batter down the door and rape, steal, kill, kidnap... whatever they felt like. They knew the inhabitants had been disarmed, and that they would be met with only fear and defenselessness. My pathetic ice-pick seemed incredibly puny, but it was all I could think of. Our family didn't even own a baseball bat. I remember lying awake thinking about how our beloved dogs were old and feeble, and that they could not protect us. And that I could not protect them either.

Source

posted on Dec, 22 2012 @ 09:43 AM
link   
Here's another good video that portrays historically what happens when governments take
their citizens guns away. Sorry I can't get it to embed. Maybe someone could help me
out with that.
Innocents Betrayed

posted on Dec, 22 2012 @ 09:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by orbitbaby
Here's another good video that portrays historically what happens when governments take
their citizens guns away. Sorry I can't get it to embed. Maybe someone could help me
out with that.
Innocents Betrayed

posted on Dec, 22 2012 @ 10:01 AM
link   
Because America, being obsessed with it's "liberty" to own guns has gotten itself in this situation where there are too many guns to be banned. If guns are banned, things will get worse because the people responsible act like uncivilized apes, but things will only get worse if they aren't banned as well. Either way things will get worse, these massacres will happen, people will die and America will continue to have a homicide rate that the vast majority of the countries in the world can't even come close to. It's a whirlpool of destruction, and you can blame this "liberty".

Protesting to keep guns is just as bad as protesting to get rid of them, neither side results in a win.

Think how much freedom this "liberty" has claimed.
edit on 22-12-2012 by SpearMint because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 22 2012 @ 10:05 AM
link   
The fault here is assuming crime reduction is the goal.

Pacification and control are the goals.

Sure those people in Jamaica have to live in terror of roving criminal gangs but when they are assaulted, beaten, raped or murdered somebody will ring a church bell for them.

I wonder how many church bells are rung in Afghanistan after a US drone blows up a school? If they spent half as much time whining and mourning as we do they'd never be able to get anything done.

'Tis better to die cowering in a corner and have the "moral high ground" than it is to face your attacker and survive.

Dont actively defend our children. Just find better hidey holes for them to cry and die in.
edit on 22-12-2012 by thisguyrighthere because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 22 2012 @ 10:12 AM
link   
Of course gun confiscations don't reduce crime.
Criminals don't have to give their guns up!
Just the law abiding citizens who legally acquired them.
Yeah. That makes sense.

I'm not sure I completely understand the thoughts of anti-gun people.
Why do people really consider punishing the good guys in this situation?
Why wouldn't there be more focus on the criminals?

posted on Dec, 22 2012 @ 10:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by havok
Of course gun confiscations don't reduce crime.
Criminals don't have to give their guns up!
Just the law abiding citizens who legally acquired them.
Yeah. That makes sense.

I'm not sure I completely understand the thoughts of anti-gun people.
Why do people really consider punishing the good guys in this situation?
Why wouldn't there be more focus on the criminals?

I don't wish to start a debate as to whether anti-gun people are right or not, but there isn't a definitive line between citizen and criminal, nor citizen and mass murderer. One can be the other, there's no telling who's a "good guy" now, or who will be further down the line.

posted on Dec, 22 2012 @ 01:50 PM
link   
It's very telling of the American population's declining IQ, that so many would now be in favor of more gun control and restriciton of the 2nd amendment, with unbelievable disregard to historical facts. People's reaction has been purely emotional, as the government and media knew would be the case.

The failure of so many Americans to connect the dots regarding this fiasco = the declining American IQ

Today it's not as sad as the Sandy Hook shooting, but one day we will look back on this emotional plea for gun restricitons and truly regret it.

posted on Dec, 22 2012 @ 02:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by six67seven
It's very telling of the American population's declining IQ, that so many would now be in favor of more gun control and restriciton of the 2nd amendment, with unbelievable disregard to historical facts. People's reaction has been purely emotional, as the government and media knew would be the case.

The failure of so many Americans to connect the dots regarding this fiasco = the declining American IQ

Today it's not as sad as the Sandy Hook shooting, but one day we will look back on this emotional plea for gun restricitons and truly regret it.

Americans simply look at other nations that have gun control and see far less violent crime. That is very simple and easy to understand. And of course if we banned gun and ammuntion sales in the US it would take a long time to see an effect but of course we have a reduction in guns deaths in America. That is just common sense. What we are talking about would be a long wait of course and require a change to our constitution that is not going to happen. Americans want a simple answer and the fact is they do not have the option of one. Banning all guns is almost as stupid as armed guards at schools. And neither will fix the problem. That problem is people who should not have easy access to a style of legal weapons that any idiot can use to kill lots and lots of people. The solution would be more responsible gun owners but, to many idiots have guns for that to work, And perhaps banning certain types of weapons to make a little harder to kill as many people.

posted on Dec, 22 2012 @ 02:52 PM
link   
Might not reduce overall crime rates but that's not really the point is it? It reduces gun related mortality rates which is the point.

posted on Dec, 22 2012 @ 02:59 PM
link   
reply to post by Klassified

What happened to calling the police?

If the citizen wasn't armed with a gun, chances are neither were the gangs.

Regardless...why clutch an icepick and pray, instead of simply phoning the people to protect you who do have guns?

- Lee

edit on 22-12-2012 by lee anoma because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 22 2012 @ 03:46 PM
link   
reply to post by gladtobehere

FACT: less than 1% of the gun deaths in America occur anywhere where guns are banned.

Go pedal your murder elsewhere.

posted on Dec, 22 2012 @ 04:42 PM
link   
reply to post by MrSpad

I agree on all accounts but when they ban assault weapons, high capacity mags, what have you; and then another mass shooting takes place with nothing but handguns... we have ourselves another problem. Then where will the government take it... the obvious next step is disarming citizens.

I'm sorry there are idiots and crazies living among us, but we mustn't be held responsible for their crimes (yes, I realize that's how laws get on the books; the few ruin it for the rest of us)

posted on Dec, 22 2012 @ 05:15 PM
link   
reply to post by lee anoma

What happened to calling the police?

If the citizen wasn't armed with a gun, chances are neither were the gangs.

Regardless...why clutch an icepick and pray, instead of simply phoning the people to protect you who do have guns?

1. The police have no legal duty to protect individual citizens, and cannot be held responsible if they fail to do so. Even if a citizen's 911 call gets through to the emergency center, the police can simply choose not to show up, and the citizen has no legal recourse against the police. The courts have repeatedly ruled on this. As the court wrote in Bowers v. DeVito, 686 F.2d 616 (7th Cir. 1982): "There is no constitutional right to be protected by the state against being murdered by criminals or madmen. It is monstrous if the state fails to protect its residents against such predators but does not violate the due process clause of the Fourteenth Amendment, or, we suppose, any other provision of the Constitution. The Constitution is a charter of negative liberties: it tells the state to let the people alone; it does not require the federal government or the state to provide services, even so elementary a service as maintaining law and order." The U.S. Supreme Court, in MU 59 U.S. 396, ruled in a similar vein as far back as 1856.
2. The police carry guns primarily to defend themselves, not to protect us.

edit on 12/22/2012 by Klassified because: add quote

posted on Dec, 22 2012 @ 05:47 PM
link   
Don't kill the messenger, I just found this and it's quite apropo.

posted on Dec, 22 2012 @ 06:09 PM
link   
one can not just simply tighten gun control and say it is fixed, and doing it for only a little while is a cop out. The police have to actively be looking and taking guns off the streets as well, " a special gun task-force" would also help create jobs, the help from the public goes a long way. Target criminals first in a big way and take them from them. The problem in the States is to big for an overnight fix. Takes commitment and time. Like any real solution.

Personally, Offer up something in replace if people hand in unregistered guns and make it worth while. I know a type of drug that is legalized in a lot of states that could be a great incentive to a lot of people. Offer up a tax reprieve to others.

Just do not give up.

posted on Dec, 22 2012 @ 09:59 PM
link   
The Daily Mail?
That would be the Nazi/ultra conservative paper, that publishes shiite on a "daily basis" even in 2009, or 1933.
Ah well, you do get a laugh, usually at someone else's expense.
edit on 22-12-2012 by smurfy because: Text.

posted on Dec, 23 2012 @ 12:11 AM
link   
reply to post by gladtobehere

Maybe not.

But NOT flooding the market with weapons and thinking up a new place to open carry every day, might.

Remember the good old 70's? Before pharmaceuticals were allowed to be pushed on the public via television ads, the number one cause of death was the automobile. Now, the number one cause of death is "pharmaceuticals."

By PUSHING GUNS on an inexperienced public, we are fixing to replace prescription drug deaths with, the number one cause of death in the US is ..."guns."
edit on 23-12-2012 by newcovenant because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 23 2012 @ 12:18 AM
link   

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join