It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NRA wants armed guards in schools

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 21 2012 @ 12:16 PM
link   

NRA wants armed guards in schools

www.reuters.com

"The only thing that stops a bad guy with a gun is a good guy with a gun," said Wayne LaPierre, chief executive of the National Rifle Association, noting that banks and airports are patrolled by armed guards, while schools typically are not.

His remarks - in which he charged that the news media and violent video games shared blame for the second-deadliest school shooting in U.S. history - were twice interrupted by protesters who unfurled signs and shouted "stop the killing."
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
www.usatoday.com

Related AboveTopSecret.com Discussion Threads:
NRA Press Conference Live Stream Beginning at 10:45 EST

posted on Dec, 21 2012 @ 12:16 PM
link   
Personally I am not a fan of the NRA. I think they are more interested in generating profit than protecting the 2nd Amendment. There is also reason to believe they provide private gun owners information to the Govt. But overall, I think any organization that big is not to be trusted.

I can agree with the statement about good guys with guns. But are armed guards in schools the answer? I don't know. I don't think gun control would accomplish anything either.

I'm not sure there is an answer.
As I have said before, the world is not now, nor has it ever been a safe place. And I don't see that changing any time soon.

What do you think about this?
And lets try to keep it civil...

www.reuters.com

+10 more 
posted on Dec, 21 2012 @ 12:22 PM
link   
I'm Gauss, and I approve of this message.

But, seriously - it's not ideal by any means. But the fact is, there is a very big chance that, had there been armed guards in the school in Connecticut, they would have been able to blow that freak of nature to Hell before he could've gone on his little psycho spree.

We don't like armed guards around our kids - but we like even less to see our kids at the mercy of a bloody psychopath with a gun.

Just my 2 cents.
edit on 21-12-2012 by Gauss because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 21 2012 @ 12:22 PM
link   
reply to post by watchitburn

I was talkin to an older guy at work last night, and he told me that some county in Ga. told people basically if you don't like guns move! went on to say that crime dropped from 30% to 3% go figure guns will be where other guns arent

+3 more 
posted on Dec, 21 2012 @ 12:23 PM
link   
Most colleges in the US have their own police force (at least here on the west coast)

Ive never felt unsafe with police officers at the school... I think its a good idea... Why not??? all these liberals who are preaching "get rid of guns" have armed guards, or have a concealed carry permit

definition of hypocrisy...

posted on Dec, 21 2012 @ 12:23 PM
link   

Guess what DOESN'T belong in schools?

People with guns sworn to protect students that would be okay with killing them.

posted on Dec, 21 2012 @ 12:24 PM
link   

I second that motion. Even if you outlawed future sales of "assault rifles" and only assault rifles were used in mass shootings (not) then there are still millions of guns out there (not on "the streets" but mostly in private homes) so the NRA response of "a good guy with a gun to counter a bad guy with a gun" (on top of the other security measures) makes the most sense. We could cut back on foreign aid or even ask for applications for volunteers (subject to background checks including their qualifications with firearms) if money was a question (probably less than the cost of a substitute teacher for the day).

+6 more 
posted on Dec, 21 2012 @ 12:27 PM
link   
This is pure and simple wild west hokum.

Only thing to stop a bad guy with a gun is a good guy with a gun. eh?

How many good guys shoot the wrong people?

How many kids get hold of the good guys gun and shoot themselves or their friends by accident.

Were bad guys always bad guys or is it possible sometimes a good guy good turns into a bad guy. What if your good guy with a gun turns into a bad guy.

This is cowboy horse crap. Its the kinda crap you hear in old westerns.

The NRA seems to think there is not enough guns out there. They now want more people with guns.

posted on Dec, 21 2012 @ 12:28 PM
link   
More armed people in public places is never a good thing. I am VERY pro gun but I'm not retarded. Look how many people go crazy. What proof do I have that this kind of thing would prevent mass shootings anymore than they currently occur? Nobody can confirm that there is a 0% chance that one of the armed people will not go off the deep end and shoot up people. Faith is all we have... And I am not a fan of faith.

Plus, what does it look like when the government starts putting "guards" in public places? I already have more than enough reason not to trust the "government," I'd prefer not to have even more.
edit on 21-12-2012 by Anundeniabletruth because: (no reason given)

edit on 21-12-2012 by Anundeniabletruth because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 21 2012 @ 12:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by watchitburn

Personally I am not a fan of the NRA. I think they are more interested in generating profit than protecting the 2nd Amendment. There is also reason to believe they provide private gun owners information to the Govt. But overall, I think any organization that big is not to be trusted.

I can agree with the statement about good guys with guns. But are armed guards in schools the answer? I don't know. I don't think gun control would accomplish anything either.

I'm not sure there is an answer.
As I have said before, the world is not now, nor has it ever been a safe place. And I don't see that changing any time soon.

What do you think about this?
And lets try to keep it civil...

www.reuters.com

I saw this so called 'response' by the NRA mouthpiece and I too am not sure having an 'armed guard' at every school is what needs to be done or not. Certainly we don't want our chilkdren to feel like they are going to a prison anymore than many children feel school already is. But our school already has a 'resource officer' (I thought most already did) not sure but I think I remember they did carry on campus? Anyway, IF an armed cop was posted outside, like maybe one of those British sentry's that don't bother people unless the situtaion arises, (I think the gun should be concealed though possibly for aesthetics and maybe safety?) and only one door could be used, maybe it could be tolerable. What I would hate to see though, is a Big Brother cop harassing the students, trying to strong arm them concerning any issues not TRULY life or death related. There have been a couple of cases here locally where a 'resource officer' mistook himself for the childrens parents and tried to involve himself with issues other than student safety, That always becomes a potential problem.

+4 more 
posted on Dec, 21 2012 @ 12:35 PM
link   
I got an idea

instead of banning guns, lets just ban crimes... it would work the same... same logic the anti gun people are using

posted on Dec, 21 2012 @ 12:39 PM
link   
When will they implement expert drivers in every vehicle on the road?
You know, just in case one of us decides to use our cars as weapons.

Keep making all those Call Of Duty shoot em' up games by the truck load though.
Those don't desensitize kids & young adults at all, it's the guns that do all the damage.

+11 more 
posted on Dec, 21 2012 @ 12:40 PM
link   
Folks this is a NO-BRAINER!!!!!!!!

Nobody is going to shoot up a place if they know that they will become ELIMINATED IMMEDIATELY!!!

[color=gold]But the GUN-HATERS among us do NOT CARE FOR SOLUTIONS OF COMMON SENSE, they only want to BAN all guns.

In America, we can SEE what strict gun-control does in areas where it is in effect. It ARMS the bad guy, and DISARMS the good guy. The good guy lives his life in CONSTANT FEAR. So gun-control is a FAIL in America. PERIOD!!!!!!

It does NOT work in AMERICA!! [color=gold]AND, If you do not live in AMERICA, (i.e. UK folks) please feel free to MIND YOUR OWN BUSINESS as you have NO CLUE as to what you are talking about. And besides, in all honesty, Americans couldnt care less for your input anyways. So why waste your time??!!

Properly trained armed staff in schools WILL stop these shootings from happening!! These shootings are PLANNED EVENTS and will continue until ALL OUR RIGHTS ARE STRIPPED AWAY. ITS THE SAME PLAN WE HAVE SEEN HAPPEN IN THE UK!!!!! History is our CRYSTAL-BALL to the future folks!!! Its there for you to SEE.

Every PARENT in America needs to DEMAND IMMEDIATELY that there children's schools allow properly trained and armed staff in schools to eliminate any further threats. PROTEST, make PHONE CALLS, YELL, SCREAM, just do WHATEVER until your children's school officials HEAR YOU and start ensuring our children's SECURITY!!!

There are some real DEVILS on this planet who never stop planning "events" to help sway public opinion to ACCEPT their NEFARIOUS GOALS!! Goals that will have us in a WORST situation then EVER once they are finally finished and achieve their goal..

Having properly trained ARMED staff in schools WILL STOP THESE DEVILS and their PLANNED EVENTS from continuing!!!!!!

DEMAND THIS NOW FOR THE SECURITY OF YOUR CHILDREN. DO IT NOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

edit on 21-12-2012 by oper8zhin because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 21 2012 @ 12:41 PM
link   
"Armed guards at a primary school". If this was a headline for some third world country we would be feeling sorry for the necessity but the USA !!!!! Come on take a step back and look at how utterly sad that is.

The day you NEED armed guards at a primary school is the day to hang your heads in collective shame.

Is the drug of a pistol on your hip that addictive !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

posted on Dec, 21 2012 @ 12:41 PM
link   
reply to post by JibbyJedi

The same actors that glorify violence want the gun bans.... Now there is the smartest thing I've heard all day... Also did you know

That is Chuck Schumer... Hes an anti gun advocate... That is a Tech 9 sub machine gun... he also has a concealed carry permit....

HYPOCRITES!

posted on Dec, 21 2012 @ 12:44 PM
link   
reply to post by oper8zhin

So you are totally okay with having a person in a school whose only function is to kill children?

Weird.

posted on Dec, 21 2012 @ 12:45 PM
link   
I was thinking, and I'm just throwing this out there.

Maybe have 2 or 3 teachers in each school be armed?
Let the faculty vote on who it should be, and ensure they are properly trained in weapon safety and handling.
Just an idea.

posted on Dec, 21 2012 @ 12:46 PM
link   

We already have armed school police here in miami dade.
police.dadeschools.net...

I can't argue with the sentiment about having a officer at a school.

posted on Dec, 21 2012 @ 12:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by watchitburn
I was thinking, and I'm just throwing this out there.

Maybe have 2 or 3 teachers in each school be armed?
Let the faculty vote on who it should be, and ensure they are properly trained in weapon safety and handling.
Just an idea.

you've seen how the unions react.... lets not give them guns.... when the right to work comes to the teacher unions... that would be a scary thing

posted on Dec, 21 2012 @ 12:47 PM
link   
Oh My God.

Only in America.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join