It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NRA wants armed guards in schools

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 21 2012 @ 12:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by oper8zhin

But this will stop the shootings. These shootings are PLANNED and will continue until ALL OUR RIGHTS ARE STRIPPED AWAY AS WE SEE IN TH UK!!!!! History displays this folks.

I'm in the UK and this is mindless nonsense. But hey why take my word for it as a UK citizen who has travelled to various countries including. the US several times.

posted on Dec, 21 2012 @ 12:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by watchitburn
I was thinking, and I'm just throwing this out there.

Maybe have 2 or 3 teachers in each school be armed?
Let the faculty vote on who it should be, and ensure they are properly trained in weapon safety and handling.
Just an idea.

Even better!

Let's task the TEACHERS, those who have gone to school to learn how to educate the next generation of americans because they love children.. with killing their students.

Nice!

posted on Dec, 21 2012 @ 12:48 PM
link   
reply to post by yorkshirelad

No you just have national pride.... We've seen it here in the US... Why do you need cameras at every street corners? Why are people getting arrested over twitter.. for disagreeing with the government...

yeah I agree with this... the UK has had their rights eroded for a long time we need to stop it before it happens here

posted on Dec, 21 2012 @ 12:50 PM
link   
Wow, the NRA wants to promote what would mean the buying of more guns. Shocker

The NRA propaganda machine is still in full force.
edit on 21-12-2012 by nixie_nox because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 21 2012 @ 12:51 PM
link   
Sadly to say but the NRA guy is right. Between the video games and the media it is causing a problem. Adding to that that children who have not been trained to use the guns by a responsible person who should be unbiasedly observing the kids behavior while teaching him and the problem where the internet allows those with the same dangerous delusions to reinforce their beliefs and things like this occur. The mods of an internet site can help to stop this, something that is missing in some of the radical sites that I have seen. On this site the T&C is pretty good. It is hard to distinguish these kind of people though because some talk but will never do anything wrong.

How do we fix the problem though. This problem has existed for a long time in our world. I can't say it is a bad thing for the young to learn to shoot either, in fact if they are disciplined in the art of safely and responsibly using the guns they become better people. We need soldiers and law enforcement officers to look after us. There isn't enough money to have a cop running around getting every criminal either. A smart criminal will not break into a home where the owner may have a gun and use it. We can;t let the only ones with a gun be criminals in the population either. We need to take the glory out of doing these things, we need to take the glory out of kids committing suicide also. Suicide has become a bigger problem than these shootings I feel, we need to examine a lot of things we are creating in our society. We also have to evaluate risk assessment, lately risk has been praised instead of dampened. In the new society risk gets you places but causes a lot of side effects that eventually create problems. if your odds are one in ten of something bad happening, one in ten times it usually will. Pushing our luck is a stupid thing.

posted on Dec, 21 2012 @ 12:51 PM
link   
reply to post by DrNotforhire

True. Terrorism, which this latest event was, (whether real, aided, or 100% synthetic) will never be stopped by disarming and making oneself even more vulnerable to it. Especially if the whole goal of the terrorists in the first place is to disarm you. It will never be enough.

I'm not really what one might call 'pro-gun' as much as I am pro-DEFENSE, having the ability to ADEQUATELY defend oneself and those around me without having to wait for some gov. employee to arrive 20 min. later and scrape my body off the sidewalk.

posted on Dec, 21 2012 @ 12:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by rickymouse
Sadly to say but the NRA guy is right. Between the video games and the media it is causing a problem. Adding to that that children who have not been trained to use the guns by a responsible person who should be unbiasedly observing the kids behavior while teaching him and the problem where the internet allows those with the same dangerous delusions to reinforce their beliefs and things like this occur. The mods of an internet site can help to stop this, something that is missing in some of the radical sites that I have seen. On this site the T&C is pretty good. It is hard to distinguish these kind of people though because some talk but will never do anything wrong.

How do we fix the problem though. This problem has existed for a long time in our world. I can't say it is a bad thing for the young to learn to shoot either, in fact if they are disciplined in the art of safely and responsibly using the guns they become better people. We need soldiers and law enforcement officers to look after us. There isn't enough money to have a cop running around getting every criminal either. A smart criminal will not break into a home where the owner may have a gun and use it. We can;t let the only ones with a gun be criminals in the population either. We need to take the glory out of doing these things, we need to take the glory out of kids committing suicide also. Suicide has become a bigger problem than these shootings I feel, we need to examine a lot of things we are creating in our society. We also have to evaluate risk assessment, lately risk has been praised instead of dampened. In the new society risk gets you places but causes a lot of side effects that eventually create problems. if your odds are one in ten of something bad happening, one in ten times it usually will. Pushing our luck is a stupid thing.

So if it is the media and video games, why isn't this a problem all over the world? You aren't of the opinion that these games and media aren't also viewed throughout Europe, Asia, and Australia, are you?

posted on Dec, 21 2012 @ 12:53 PM
link   
reply to post by DoYouEvenLift

China last week

22 kids got stabbed.. mass stabbing

yep

posted on Dec, 21 2012 @ 12:54 PM
link   
reply to post by JibbyJedi

It is not the video games that create psychopaths, it is the psychopaths that are attracted to violent video games.

Not to mention, it is a silly smokescreen to detract the fact that guns kill people.

posted on Dec, 21 2012 @ 12:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by DrNotforhire

China last week

22 kids got stabbed.. mass stabbing

yep

Really??

Holy crap.. one incident.

Name 69 more in chinese schools since the late 90's and you might have something there.

The United States has had over 70 school shootings since Columbine.

posted on Dec, 21 2012 @ 12:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by DoYouEvenLift
reply to post by oper8zhin

So you are totally okay with having a person in a school whose only function is to kill children?

Weird.

Where the hell do you get armed guard = intends to kill children? There are multiple reasons that armed security at or on school premises would be a big security bonus. How about this for a good compromise, have the path into and out of the school have a simple guard shack and you have to be there for official business or you are not permitted entry?
That seems harmless enough to me, and it would prevent people who do not belong from gaining access while keeping the children safe.

posted on Dec, 21 2012 @ 12:56 PM
link   
IDK why we are waiting to put armed guards in schools.

I've come to realize that my brain actually is hard-wired different than many peoples. I have been saying put armed guards in schools since before all this happened.

I literally can not understand people when they act like it is a bad idea. It's almost like there is a language barrier even when there is not.

Past that, I see no reason the armed guards should be in uniform; they should look like regular faculty members. No one should know which ones are armed. They should obviously have psych exams and the whole bit.

Give them plenty of trigger time and don't over work them. Of course, all of this would cost money. Yes... about that...

SM2

posted on Dec, 21 2012 @ 12:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by mytheroy
reply to post by watchitburn

I was talkin to an older guy at work last night, and he told me that some county in Ga. told people basically if you don't like guns move! went on to say that crime dropped from 30% to 3% go figure guns will be where other guns arent

It was a city, Kennesaw about 45 minutes north of Atlanta. The town passed an ordinance requiring households to maintain a firearm. There are a few exception, such as poor people that can not afford one or conscientious objectors. Violent crime in Kennesaw is virtually non existent, in fact, it dropped 89% after the law was passed.

rense.com...

posted on Dec, 21 2012 @ 12:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by SpaDe_

Originally posted by DoYouEvenLift
reply to post by oper8zhin

So you are totally okay with having a person in a school whose only function is to kill children?

Weird.

Where the hell do you get armed guard = intends to kill children?

You are aware that in over 95% of school shootings, the people doing the shootings are students from the school, right? An armed security person would be charged with killing one of these students, because if you don't shoot to kill, the person could continue shooting.

posted on Dec, 21 2012 @ 12:59 PM
link   

No problem

March 23rd: eight children murdered (knife)

April 2010: 16 kids stabbed and a teacher
April 29th: 28 students stabbed 2 teachers and a security gaurd
April 30: preschooler hit in the head with a hammer, perp then tried to kill himself with gasoline

May 2010: 7 children killed, 2 adults and 11 injured (knife attack)
May 18th: another 10 stabbed

I can keep going... Thats just two months in 2010

edit on 21-12-2012 by DrNotforhire because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 21 2012 @ 01:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by DrNotforhire
reply to post by yorkshirelad

No you just have national pride.... We've seen it here in the US... Why do you need cameras at every street corners? Why are people getting arrested over twitter.. for disagreeing with the government...

yeah I agree with this... the UK has had their rights eroded for a long time we need to stop it before it happens here

The U.K. in many respects seems it resembles China more than the U.S. (or what is left of it), though the U.S. is fast getting sucked into the same Orwellian Big Brother 'save' us from everything mentality. One more all seeing camera, one more body scanner, one more email illegally read, one more citizen voice asking questions stifled, perhaps soon one more citizen microchipped and surveiled 24/7 cradle to grave and we'll all be 'safe' and happy,

posted on Dec, 21 2012 @ 01:01 PM
link   

I could add one thing. Making available guns to these little off people that look like guns that are military style or are used in these video games can give the person extra confidence when committing these crimes. Take away some of these kind of guns and it could also help. Feeding the delusion is what we need to stop. I don't need a military style gun to kill a deer or someone breaking into my home. A regular gun works just fine.

We need to take away the glory and try not to feed these peoples delusions. The guy who killed those kids may have not done what he did if he did not gain confidence from those particular guns also. Regular people don't need the guns in those video games, if they desire to use them join the military and learn to use real ones.

link   

This is a perfect example of the language barrier thing.

Can someone translate for me?

link   
I can't help but feel that some people are misguided in thinking guns are the problem here. Look, we all know guns kill people, so let's stop that crap right now. On the other hand, they also kill animals for food, they can be used for self-defense, and for recreational sport shooting. A gun's only purpose is NOT to kill. Both sides are spouting these lies - and yes, they are nothing other than lies - and it is helping neither side because this means both gun rights activists and gun control activists are left stomping the ground in the exact same spot. In other words - the discussion will never lead anywhere productive until the two sides stop with that nonsense.

But, I digress. My point originally was, guns are not the problem here. The problem here is that the US mental health care is completely, and utterly crippled. The knee-jerk reactions towards guns are just emotional and illogical misdirected blame games. The blame does not lie with the guns. It lies with the fact that the United States of America - one of the greatest countries in the world, in my opinion - has a mental health care that is unworthy of its name, because it is literally worthless.

Switzerland and Israel both have #loads of weapons. While Israel has shootings, they are because of terrorism. Disregarding those, neither country has public shootings like those of the US. Why? Mental health care. They have it.

The US does not.

Guns are part of a symptom (mass shootings), not the cause. Do you want to treat the symptoms, or do you want to treat the disease?

That's all I've got. Take it for what it's worth.

posted on Dec, 21 2012 @ 01:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by NarrowGate

This is a perfect example of the language barrier thing.

Can someone translate for me?

What are you having a problem understanding?

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join