It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why Americans Are Hypocrites in Relation To mass violence.

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 21 2012 @ 01:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by intrptr
reply to post by CudiTheKid

Maybe you should seek help? Wouldn't want you to turn out like Lanza.

Okay, so now the insults, huh? I though you were "peaceful"?

I didn't shoot anybody today, real or imaginary.

It's not an insult, I'm concerned for you. Concern for another's well being is quite a peaceful action.

posted on Dec, 21 2012 @ 01:49 AM
link   

reply to post by sandman441

When people were blaming Beavis & Butthead when kids did stupid things, was it Beavis & Buttheads fault or the parents who didn't raise their kids or supervised them?

That show didn't cause that generation, it was about that generation.

By the way, Beavis and Butthead rule.

But do you see where I'm going with it? That is why they were pulled the first time, after that kid who burned down his I can't remember if it was his house or shed but after that MTV said that B&B could not say fire.

and I do agree though I only liked the video part.

posted on Dec, 21 2012 @ 01:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by digital01anarchy

I sure that was correct during the starwars movies, matrix movies ect ect! why do people in foriegn nations think they are superior to Americans? Why do they insist on acting like their small country does things better when there is evidence that shows they don't. Americas problems are much harder to solve just based on the size of our country alone.

OKay, for one, I am not a foriegner- I am american, born and raised in Los Angeles..... from a Hollywood family (all in the film making business- grandpa was nominated for an Oscar, made one of the most famous films of all time filled with violence and blood)

I have never met any european that made even the slightest suggestion that America wasn't the leader of the filmaking industry! I did not understand the topic to be "who makes movies better", but rather "does the violence in americas movies influence or play any part in the high violence rates in the country". Whether the movie is well made or not has nothing to do with it. America is known globally for it's violent content in film, AS WELL as it's quality in film- murder well portrayed.

-Maybe it should be asked- does the way americans overeact to the slightest possibility of criticism influence their violence rates????
edit on 21-12-2012 by Bluesma because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 21 2012 @ 01:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by Bluesma

-Maybe it hould be asked- does the way americans overeact to criticism influence their violence????

You must not be a big asian film buff because there are alot of japanese movies that I think put the violent american movies to shame. I saw 1 of them and never again and I watched the one that was supposedly less messed up than the rest. The movie was called Ichi the killer.

posted on Dec, 21 2012 @ 01:58 AM
link   
reply to post by CudiTheKid

I'm concerned for you.

Liar.

posted on Dec, 21 2012 @ 02:06 AM
link   

But do you see where I'm going with it?

I think. There are no parents depicted in the cartoons, right? Are they what we used to call the "turn key kids", or "latch key kids"?

Theirs was the generation where both parents worked and the kids were on their own. Even when the parents came home they ignored them. So they grew up pretty much on their own.

If I may carry this a bit further. Now those parents have kids and know how to raise them even less. So guess what? They have no direction and spend even more time playing video games instead of interacting with the real world.

Look at whats happening to the kids...

posted on Dec, 21 2012 @ 02:09 AM
link   
reply to post by GrimReaper86

No doubt. I don't want to say it does, either. But two points-
Getting "used to" violence does away with the instinctual "stops"- the reactions of the body which help in blocking violent acts.
We can compensate for that with moral systems which condemn said acts. Some do- they join religions which propose such systems, for example.
But not everyone. This is a free country in that respect. For those without a specific "clan" to adhere to, they are left only with the national culture expressed through popular art to provide their morals.

Hence we come to the second point- the hypocrisy...
Our heroes carry big weapons, they blow things and people up. That is what our popular culture tells our kids over and over. Our heros enter the scene with arms in each hand and knocking off the many bad guys surrounding them.
Okay for most of us, we make a difference between innocents and "bad guys"- so we don't recognize these mass murderers as heroes. But we cannot say we didn't approve of Sly or Bruce or Arnie doing the same thing when the ones being killed were official "bad guys".

posted on Dec, 21 2012 @ 02:13 AM
link   

You may be right on that, I admit I don't watch many (or any) though I am familiar with their reputation.
Though their reputation is not for mass killing with firearms, but either with barehands or weaponry such as knives.
Am I mistaken?

That is a good thing to bring up in the question of the influence of violent images in film though!!!
Wasn't it in China, the same week, that someone attacked people with a knife??
That is definately suggestive that images might play a part in these acts....

posted on Dec, 21 2012 @ 02:15 AM
link   

But do you see where I'm going with it?

I think. There are no parents depicted in the cartoons, right? Are they what we used to call the "turn key kids", or "latch key kids"?

Theirs was the generation where both parents worked and the kids were on their own. Even when the parents came home they ignored them. So they grew up pretty much on their own.

If I may carry this a bit further. Now those parents have kids and know how to raise them even less. So guess what? They have no direction and spend even more time playing video games instead of interacting with the real world.

Look at whats happening to the kids...

that term is a bit before my time but I think latch key kids. Yeah that's pretty much it, but the other thing is that instead of parents blaming themselves and taking responsibility for what their kids do they blame everybody/everything else.

The media is just as bad, If one grabs onto an idea they all jump on it so now your being bombarded with stuff too.

posted on Dec, 21 2012 @ 02:17 AM
link   
reply to post by Bluesma

Not only but all that "training" as it were is good preparation for the military which comes next in a young mans life. Where they hand him a rifle, point and say, there are the "bad guys".

posted on Dec, 21 2012 @ 02:21 AM
link   
reply to post by OrionsWitness

Im not out raged. I dont own guns. I also consider most stupid. I have no problem protecting others as well as myself from the TPTB. Dont take alot of smarts to see obvious cover ups and lies and turn it back on them. Grow up
edit on 21-12-2012 by chapterhouse because: (no reason given)

edit on 21-12-2012 by chapterhouse because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 21 2012 @ 02:27 AM
link   

Agreed,.parents (or the lack thereof) are the primary factor in helping kids grow up. Without them they don't develop coping skills or learn to deal with emotions, peer pressure, etc.

So they watch TV or play video games and learn exactly nothing from it. When it comes time to face the real world they are ill equipped to deal with all the stress That tends to build tension. Some turn inwardly destructive, drugs and alcohol. Some turn their pain outwards and become destructive towards things or god forbid, other people.

They blame others for their failures and take their anger out upon them.

posted on Dec, 21 2012 @ 02:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by Bluesma

You may be right on that, I admit I don't watch many (or any) though I am familiar with their reputation.
Though their reputation is not for mass killing with firearms, but either with barehands or weaponry such as knives.
Am I mistaken?

That is a good thing to bring up in the question of the influence of violent images in film though!!!
Wasn't it in China, the same week, that someone attacked people with a knife??
That is definately suggestive that images might play a part in these acts....

You are right but not all the time, There are some movies that pretty much only use guns. I have 2 that kind of come to mind but I'd have to research more because alot of the movies just blend together. But Wasabi which stars Jean Reno they use guns I believe I do know he carries a gun and in one scene there is a bank robbery and the robbers all carry guns. And then I think Ong Bak or the protector there was a scene with a few people with guns. Let me research this a bit more and I can get you a list.

John Woo movies have gun play
Leon the Professional (Jean Reno, It's a french movie)
Supercop

I wish I could remember the rest.

oh another one called the machine girl where she loses her arm and somebody makes it so that she can put guns there.

Just for sharp instruments Kung Fu Hustle comes to mind and so does Drunken Master 2 I believe. Where both gangs are basically called the Axe gang and carry around hand axes.
edit on 21-12-2012 by sandman441 because: (no reason given)

edit on 21-12-2012 by sandman441 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 21 2012 @ 02:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by alldaylong
The flaw in your argument is something you stated yourself. "These Movies Go Out All Over The World". Then why are incidents such as Sandy Hook not happening in the UK, France Germany, Italy Spain etc etc? If they do happen they are very rare incidents, not on a regular basis like the US.

Fact million schools not regular happenings

posted on Dec, 21 2012 @ 04:06 AM
link   
Yes, we are hypocrites in many ways. Like others have stated, many of us grew up watching slasher and horror films and yet, we'd never commit that violence. We went in droves to see Star Wars and watched Anakin slay a classroom full of school kids. The voices which raised an alarm over that were drowned out with excuses "lighten up, it's just a movie". Just like the trilogy Hunger Games and it's subject matter. See, we want it and so we term these films "entertainment". We relabel the images of evil and depravity because we enjoy watching the violence on some level. I cannot find the source at the moment, but I recently read an article which described a cinema in the early part of the 1900s which had showed some real images of a war in which men were being shot. What happened? The entire cinema full of adult men and women started screaming, crying and vomiting at seeing the images. This is the NORMAL response to seeing bloodshed, as nearly every parent can tell you when their young child accidentally walks in on an adult show featuring bloodshed that their parents may be watching. But soon that child starts to accumulate these images of violence in their brain and heart, and it slowly but surely desensitises and hardens them to it. Why are we allowing this to our happen to our children?

This latest incident of a classroom of children gunned down highlights our hypocrisy. I've thought since then of the 4,000 babies brutally cut up through infanticide on that same day, and yet a majority in our nation don't bat an eye. What if somebody took eight primary schools and scattered them with those 4,000 babies' body parts and blood, then called the police and media? What if the 1,000,000 slaughtered this year were placed in 2,000 primary schools? What if those images were plastered all over our tv and newspapers? Would there be a national outcry too? Why is it that the MSM wouldn't cover it?

Because we are hypocrites. If it's something that we define as a "good thing" we desensitise ourselves to it through hardening the heart and mind. We redefine murder as abortion and violence in film as "entertainment". Unbeknownst to many of us, it is a product of indoctrination. The Romans didn't start out enjoying watching Christians and it's war prisoners being fed to the lions in arenas, but something twisted their hearts and minds to not only allow it but to cheer as they watched it. And they didn't have speaking images flooding into their brains 24/7 like we do today, the power of which is huge. I am in agreement with most that it's not a gun that kills, but the person holding it. But when the population has enough young adults with hardened hearts, it cannot produce anything but a society that becomes hardened. Instead of tackling what CAUSED the hardening hearts, that society will look to removing the weapon instead of what produced the love of violence in the first place. We WANT to watch those violent images so we label it as entertainment. We WANT the right to have all the sex we can so we redefine baby murder as abortion. The speaking images of media indoctrinate the masses into this hypocrisy, the "teachers and leaders" of today who sway the crowds as they did in Jesus' days on Earth.

No good can ever come from evil. No matter how much WE redefine it as good, it will always produce the consequences of evil - misery and death. Films and tv show violence to desensitise us to it, and as we are desensitised to it, greater and greater degrees of it are tolerated. And if it desensitises us to it, it certainly has it's impact on us as the hearts of humanity become calloused. Those Romans gleefully clapping to real life humans being ripped apart by lions were not produced over night but steadily through teachings. Today, those same teachings are mass produced and beamed into our living rooms and cinemas transforming innocent violence rejecting little ones into violence tolerating adults. You are what you "eat". You may never pick up a gun like this killer in Conneticut, but most will fight to ban/not ban guns instead of examining the simple truth that violence is begetting violence and begetting hardened hearts that will ultimately sit in an amphitheatre watching real life humans being fed to lions. Just wait until this latest generation becomes adults. They already largely resent the elderly for having retirement incomes, they already are viewing the elderly and disabled as burdens on society and already blame humanity for heartlessly destroying the environment. Just wait until those deemed "responsible" are publically identified as the "culprits" by the very same media which has indoctrinated them to believe these things in the first place.

He was given power to give breath to the image of the first beast, so that it could speak and cause all who refused to worship the image to be killed.

posted on Dec, 21 2012 @ 04:26 AM
link   
If films and video games were a significant enough contributing factor to these massacres then why are all the massacres, for the most part, in America.

We have televisions and games consoles outside of America, you know

last I checked there hasn't been that many massacres as of late in australia, denmark or russia

posted on Dec, 21 2012 @ 08:32 AM
link   
reply to post by WhoKnows100

Thank you, I enjoyed reading that. You should paste that whole post into a thread on a weekend morning so others can read it.

We redefine murder as abortion and violence in film as "entertainment". Unbeknownst to many of us, it is a product of indoctrination.

The external [ ex ] quote at the end prompts me to ask, do you think the reference to the Image of the Beast in Revelations is talking abut modern Media, i.e., TV, movies and internet?

I've always been intrigued by the notion of, "They made an image unto the beast and caused it to both move and speak." The "image" being the one on a modern TV or computer screen. People that lived a long time ago would call it an "image" (like a painting) that "speaks". Has to be modern media devices like a tele-"vision"..

posted on Dec, 21 2012 @ 08:48 AM
link   

Your argument is utter hogwash.

People die all over the world in horrific ways all the time.

Let's look at the case of a Somali girl that was stoned to death for reporting a rape.

www.guardian.co.uk...

And you can sit around all day just Googling this stuff. And that's just the stuff that's reported.

posted on Dec, 21 2012 @ 08:56 AM
link   

If you think that movies and video games are responsible for the violent acts of a tiny minority of nut jobs then you really don't have a f**king clue about the world, life, people in general.

Your rant reminded me of the BS I used to hear in the 80's concerning Heavy Metal from the likes of Tipper Gore and the PMRC.

The blame game is always fitting for those who cannot fathom the complexities of this big scary world we live in.

posted on Dec, 21 2012 @ 09:07 AM
link   
Scary Movie Franchise... Seriously thanks for the laugh. Pulp Fiction? that's like the greatest movie ever made, do you watch anything other than Disney? If you are going to talk about movies being a problem please mention the ones that are actually disturbing...

Vacancy. The Strangers. Saw1-10, Collector. And I hate to say it because it was a favorite of mine back when I was a teen but Natural Born killers is pretty rotten as far as moral values go. There is nothing wrong with a boogieman story, that's not real and wont be it's the stories that could be real like the above mentioned, those are the ones we should have a problem with.

I thought this not too long ago, I can sit down and watch some pretty messed up crap on the tv and im okay, I go about my business the next day but yes I do think not everyone can handle it and I think that for movies with cruel violence such as Hostel (not freddy, he's not real) should be rated R and they are but Rated R should be raised so that one can not see them until the age of 19.

I do believe that younger minds need less violence in their lives, less news too because lets face it thats the scariest stuff imagineable. Everyone is too apathetic and these movies only help to make it more so. Fresh minds deserve to be nurtered first.

Please dont assume that ALL Americans allow their children to watch rubbish, mine dont. I have a strict rule in my house "if you cant learn from it, discovery, science, sesame street than it's rubbish". They are allowed only Disney movies and the pg ones I see fit. They have never once watched a R movie.

The President is doing what he is doing because that is his agenda. Its not about the kids, it's not about the violence. Its about him getting what he wants and what he wants is to abolish our right to bear arms. plain and simple.

If you want to do something start a petition and tell people to sign it but please stop calling out all us Americans like we are the only ones with problems, it's really starting to tick me off.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join