It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why Americans Are Hypocrites in Relation To mass violence.

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 20 2012 @ 06:25 PM
link   
reply to post by OrionsWitness

A peaceful person doesn't buy ultraviolent dvds or attend movie theatres showing the mutilation and death of their fellow human beings, yet millions do.

I agree. If people didn't love it they wouldn't go. Thats how come a thread like this isn't as popular as ones that deal with the details of the shootings. We rather see the blood than talk about the actual reasons how these things come about.

posted on Dec, 20 2012 @ 06:29 PM
link   
reply to post by michael1983l

I'm not sure about movies making Americans hypocrites. But their foreign policy certainly does. They blow the # out of anybody and anything that gets in their way overseas, so there is little wonder that some of their civilians see their government do this and decide that they will too.

Hmmm... there are a ton of reasons maybe why someone decides to go off. They add them up and maybe the weight of all of those helps to convince them. One surely must be, "What the hell, my government does it, why not me?"

edit on 20-12-2012 by intrptr because: changed

posted on Dec, 20 2012 @ 10:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by intrptr

A peaceful person doesn't buy ultraviolent dvds or attend movie theatres showing the mutilation and death of their fellow human beings, yet millions do.

I agree. If people didn't love it they wouldn't go. Thats how come a thread like this isn't as popular as ones that deal with the details of the shootings. We rather see the blood than talk about the actual reasons how these things come about.

You summed it up in a nutshell.
And that's why Hollywood encourages this side of Human nature, it should be taboo in a civilised progressed world to watch simulations of evil barbarity, but people receive Oscars in this world for depicting evil.

posted on Dec, 20 2012 @ 10:35 PM
link   

...that's why Hollywood encourages this side of Human nature, it should be taboo in a civilised progressed world to watch simulations of evil barbarity, but people receive Oscars in this world for depicting evil.

I know. To say I am appalled is an understatement. My fellow americans would say, "It's just a movie." And they are right. Tell that to the victims families. The demonic, war like, and criminal nature of these films destroys my spirit.

As far as I can see, many people feed on this stuff. The can't wait for the next wolf, vampire or comic book superhero flick to come out so they can wallow in it. They snarl and giggle at each other and flash the "devil's horns" hand sign at each other. And nowadays they not only watch, but participate in mayhem when they play video games. Practicing mayhem... now people are so into it that a few take guns and murder movie patrons and school children.

I know I am older and this is a new generation and all, but as a kid, comic books were relished and read as just that: "Comical". It has developed into a whole other fantasy / reality. The more wicked it becomes the more we delve into it.

Not sure where this will wind up, but can see the sign posts along the way...

posted on Dec, 20 2012 @ 10:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by OrionsWitness

Yes they do. I'm a peaceful person, never been in a fight, I'm against our wars, and really don't even like arguments, but I love the action movies and playing Call of Duty. Tell me how I'm not a peaceful person?

posted on Dec, 20 2012 @ 11:33 PM
link   
reply to post by CudiTheKid

I love the action movies and playing Call of Duty. Tell me how I'm not a peaceful person?

You would call those "peaceful" pursuits? Tell me true, after playing that game for a while, your mind is at peace?

posted on Dec, 20 2012 @ 11:38 PM
link   

I love the action movies and playing Call of Duty. Tell me how I'm not a peaceful person?

You would call those "peaceful" pursuits? Tell me true, after playing that game for a while, your mind is at peace?

Yes, why wouldn't it be? You think after playing CoD I want to go out and shoot some people? Most of us are able to separate fiction from reality.
edit on 20-12-2012 by CudiTheKid because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 21 2012 @ 12:14 AM
link   

You think after playing CoD I want to go out and shoot some people?

Maybe not you, but somebody else did, huh? Peaceful pursuit? Not for them.

I know you can't outlaw it nor do I infer that for movies, games or guns. Just not fooled by where the influence came from. That and a lot of other factors. Try:

Abuse
Diagnosis for some "mental" condition
Medication for that
lifetime violent movies and gaming
No father figure for guidance
no mentor except doctor, drugs and video games
no education, no skill set, no employment
military induction?
hopelessness
fear
anger
revenge
firearms

Recipe for disaster.

How many just like him out there, ticking...

posted on Dec, 21 2012 @ 12:18 AM
link   
The world is a violent, ironic messed up place. This is nothing new. Don't pretend to be outraged and self-righteous. If you're just realizing this than forgive me but it's a little naive. Politics is politics. No nation is "clean" and without atrocity. Just remember that as you're throwing stones.

posted on Dec, 21 2012 @ 12:30 AM
link   

Its called freedom of speech but honestly people used to blame heavy metal or books. Have you ever read the bible there is some sick twisted crap in there but I guess that argument can be used both ways. The bible and Korans of the world has inspired more violence and murders than all the movies and music all put together.

So maybe you have a point I say we start getting rid of the things in society that have caused the most suffering in the order of which has been proven the most dangerous and destructive.

We would have to start with religious books and work our way to video games. So what should be destroyed after Bibles, Koran’s, and such?

posted on Dec, 21 2012 @ 12:34 AM
link   

You think after playing CoD I want to go out and shoot some people?

Maybe not you, but somebody else did, huh? Peaceful pursuit? Not for them.

We're not talking about someone else though. The idea was that NO ONE can be a peaceful person if they watch violent DVDs, but that's just absurd, and stereotyping to the extreme. I watch a movie, I play a game, I am not harming anyone, how is that not peaceful? Is the only way to be peaceful holding hands and singing kumbaya?

posted on Dec, 21 2012 @ 12:37 AM
link   
I've been watching horror movies of all types, I even have some on DVD and I enjoy them. I also play violent video games, I have been playing video games for probably 25 years or more, I'm also a very non violent person, no criminal record and just graduated college. I'm not sure what is making people snap these days but it's not the movies or video games. What is different between say 1995 and now? something obviously has changed between those two years. Is it the preservatives in the food? too much medication? more steroids in the food? I just think it's too convenient to blame everything except the person themselves for what they do.

I also want to say I also like Action movies, both american and asian.
edit on 21-12-2012 by sandman441 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 21 2012 @ 01:18 AM
link   

The idea was that NO ONE can be a peaceful person if they watch violent DVDs, but that's just absurd, and stereotyping to the extreme.

Whose idea? Yours?

What is your idea why then. You say you know what its not, so what is it then? Besides absurd and stereotypical, I mean.

posted on Dec, 21 2012 @ 01:22 AM
link   
reply to post by sandman441

I'm not sure what is making people snap these days but it's not the movies or video games.

Why? Because you play them, right? How can you be uncertain what it is and then say its not this or that, in the same sentence?

I used to smoke cigarettes but at the same time think only others die from it. Thats called denial.

posted on Dec, 21 2012 @ 01:28 AM
link   

Whose idea? Yours?

What is your idea why then. You say you know what its not, so what is it then? Besides absurd and stereotypical, I mean.

Did you not read the thread? It was Orion's statement: "A peaceful person doesn't buy ultraviolent dvds" That is what I was responding to. That statement is absurd. I buy violent DVDs and video games, and I am a peaceful person. I'm able to discern between fictional violence and real life. Just because a small percentage of people can't, it doesn't mean everyone who buys those things are not peaceful.
edit on 21-12-2012 by CudiTheKid because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 21 2012 @ 01:35 AM
link   

I'm not sure what is making people snap these days but it's not the movies or video games.

Why? Because you play them, right? How can you be uncertain what it is and then say its not this or that, in the same sentence?

I used to smoke cigarettes but at the same time think only others die from it. Thats called denial.

Yeah not just me, alot of people play video games too and don't snap. Video games have been around for 40 years, when pacman came out why weren't people popping white pills and trying to eat ghosts (or people) in the 80's?. When Donkey Kong came out were people suddenly kidnapping princesses, making a maze and throwing barrels at people?. How many people think they can hit their head against a brick and think they are going to get gold coins out of it?

I'll say it again I don't know what is making people snap but it's not video games.

When people were blaming Beavis & Butthead when kids did stupid things, was it Beavis & Buttheads fault or the parents who didn't raise their kids or supervised them?
edit on 21-12-2012 by sandman441 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 21 2012 @ 01:39 AM
link   

I buy violent DVDs and video games, and I am a peaceful person.

So, you like the portrayal of violence and yet you are peaceful? Your statement is a contradiction.

Thats what the OP meant when he said hypocritical.

But look man, you don't have to prove it to me, because you can't. Stop trying to convince me what kind of person you are over the internet. That is impossible.

posted on Dec, 21 2012 @ 01:43 AM
link   

When people were blaming Beavis & Butthead when kids did stupid things, was it Beavis & Buttheads fault or the parents who didn't raise their kids or supervised them?

That show didn't cause that generation, it was about that generation.

By the way, Beavis and Butthead rule.

posted on Dec, 21 2012 @ 01:43 AM
link   

I buy violent DVDs and video games, and I am a peaceful person.

So, you like the portrayal of violence and yet you are peaceful? Your statement is a contradiction.

No it's not. You don't seem capable of distinguishing between fiction and reality. Maybe you should seek help? Wouldn't want you to turn out like Lanza.

posted on Dec, 21 2012 @ 01:47 AM
link   

Maybe you should seek help? Wouldn't want you to turn out like Lanza.

Okay, so now the insults, huh? I though you were "peaceful"?

I didn't shoot anybody today, real or imaginary.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join