It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why Americans Are Hypocrites in Relation To mass violence.

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 20 2012 @ 04:17 PM
link   
This is not meant to be a sensationalist provoking thread, just an explanation of the truth as I see it.

Another mass shooting recently... violence ..ultra violence.

The American public expresses its outrage , and the USA President weeps on TV.

But be honest...how many ultra violent...sick and perverted movies/video games do parents of American kids call to be banned?

Shows such as the Scary Movie franchise, the Nightmare on Elm Street movies, the countless movies showing humans killing other humans ...some whilst smiling...think Pulp Fiction,The Dirty Harry series of films, it is reasonable to think , no human being should be goaded into watching anything of this depravity.

Yet Hollywood churns out more violent and perverted movies each year, they advertise coerce us all into watching them , to even pay out money to watch them.

Now kids as young as the victims of the recent school murders, get to watch these movies, now what do you expect may happen to some of the minds exposed to the ultra violence movie fests?

And then society mourns and blames Gun control.

How about banning violent movies, or at least giving them all R ratings?

No will never happen, why?

Money.

The youth supply Hollywood with moolah,loot, cash, gold.

The more murders , the more grisly, the more depravity contained in the movie, the more the writers of the movies receive in royalties.

Ninety nine per cent of Ultra-Violent depraved movies originate from the USA, they go all over the world, planting seeds into millions of young peoples minds the world over.

Do we not think kids seeing murders over and over some in comedy movies, may see it as normal?

That going on a murder rampage is condoned by American society ,because their parents rent out the DVDs and the whole family watches Scary Movie or Pulp fiction?

The President ...why isn't he advocating and legislating against Hollywood?

Well we know why.
Hypocrisy is a mild word.

edit on 20-12-2012 by OrionsWitness because: Spelin

edit on 20-12-2012 by OrionsWitness because: spellin

posted on Dec, 20 2012 @ 04:24 PM
link   
The flaw in your argument is something you stated yourself. "These Movies Go Out All Over The World". Then why are incidents such as Sandy Hook not happening in the UK, France Germany, Italy Spain etc etc? If they do happen they are very rare incidents, not on a regular basis like the US.

posted on Dec, 20 2012 @ 04:29 PM
link   
Instead of looking to blame movies, games, books, guns or whatever is the cool thing to blame now.

How about we take a look at personal responsibility. There are ten or even hundreds of millions of people out there who have grown up taking part in all of those activities. But for some reason have not gone on murderous rampages.

The world will never be a completely safe place. And I know why.

Because it's full of people.

Everyone freaking out and going crazy because of the actions of a few nuts is not going to solve anything. I think it is likely only going to lead to more of these incidents.

It sucks, but living in fear and having knee jerk reactions is not the answer.

posted on Dec, 20 2012 @ 04:31 PM
link   
reply to post by alldaylong

In other nations there especially in Europe, there are counterbalnces, as there are humanist and intellectual movies being produced regularly in such nations as France,Germany,Britain,Italy ect ect ect..

And there is violence in such nations as Australia every day involving guns , Sydney once Australias most liveable city daily has shootings, involving the younger generation.

posted on Dec, 20 2012 @ 04:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by alldaylong
The flaw in your argument is something you stated yourself. "These Movies Go Out All Over The World". Then why are incidents such as Sandy Hook not happening in the UK, France Germany, Italy Spain etc etc? If they do happen they are very rare incidents, not on a regular basis like the US.

Though these movies are exported, and a portion of the population sees them in other countries, it is still a smaller proportion (and similarly, a smaller proportion of violence). I live in a foriegn country, where american movies are mocked often for their idiotic easy violence and not that many people go to see them.

posted on Dec, 20 2012 @ 04:35 PM
link   
reply to post by watchitburn

Knee jerk reactions?
Movies get into your mind they are permanently recorded in your memory.
Most people can tune out and ,not let them , turn us violent.
But some people at times of great stress , may think ultraviolence is acceptable as they are told by Hollywood over and over its fun ,its cool, look at John Travolta go in Pulp Fiction..wow and he isn't in Jail.

Blurred lines, created by money making parasites.

posted on Dec, 20 2012 @ 04:42 PM
link   
reply to post by OrionsWitness

No.

Only a mind that was already unbalanced and prone to violent outbursts would make leap of logic like that. And in a case like that, it would not be a movie that sets them off.

Your argument is illogical.

posted on Dec, 20 2012 @ 04:45 PM
link   
Yes, the gory, glorifying, horror movies and video games and music. They goad us all our lives into becoming so numb that some of our number "tips" over the edge between reality and fantasy just enough to pick up a gun and murder as many people as they can. Thats by design you know.

Has anyone else noticed they have backed off of replaying the killing spree movies just a tad lately? They repeat these things ad infinitum until a tragedy occurs and then they oops, curtail the violence mongering and turn it into another part of their agenda to wrest control of your guns from you to them.

But really... Obama shedding a tear and visiting the families of the slain. He is president right? What about the wars he resides over right now and the innocent blood shed daily there?

posted on Dec, 20 2012 @ 04:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by Bluesma

Though these movies are exported, and a portion of the population sees them in other countries, it is still a smaller proportion (and similarly, a smaller proportion of violence). I live in a foriegn country, where american movies are mocked often for their idiotic easy violence and not that many people go to see them.

You got ahead of me byt a few minutes. I grew up in europe and also watched religiously the weekly homegrown detective Tv series. As far as I recall there was hardly ever an ending with more than a hadfull of warning shots fired, maybe the criminal ending up with a bullet in arm or leg and that was it. The fun part was the "who had done it" suspense in all these shows. And I guess it taught us a bit more critical thinking as well.

posted on Dec, 20 2012 @ 04:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by watchitburn

No.

Only a mind that was already unbalanced and prone to violent outbursts would make leap of logic like that. And in a case like that, it would not be a movie that sets them off.

Exactly..and what percentage of the population do you think this applies to?
One in a thousand , one in a million, one in ten million, one in 200 million?

You have proved my argument, people are blind to the obvious.

In a civilsed world encouraging people to eat popcorn whilst watching the simulation of human beings been butchered and dismembered would be banned.

Yet it is a major cultural enjoyment by millions if the mansions in Hollywood are any indication.

posted on Dec, 20 2012 @ 04:49 PM
link   

No.

No it's not, actually. There is more than enough evidence in neurological studies, that people get de-sensitized to things through repetative exposure. Whether it be words, images, concepts in any form, seeing (or hearing) them a lot makes one lose the natural repulsive instincts. One integrates the idea or concept instead- it becomes recognized as part of the self.

This is an action that becomes relevant in relationships of long date, for example, where you will "soak up" part of the others attitudes or behaviors simply through repeated exposure.

We use this principle in animal training, in "sacking out", and I can assure you, through experience, that it can be used with humans!
edit on 20-12-2012 by Bluesma because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 20 2012 @ 04:50 PM
link   
reply to post by alldaylong

My thoughts exactly. Also what about the countless people that watched horror movies in their youth and aren't killing people left and right. Hell, I remember seeing my first Jason movie when I was like 8 and I'm stable and have a job and a family. Go figure. Stop trying to censor media because you want to use it as convienent scape goat for other changes that should be made. Promote gun safety and promote gun education. Then if necessary create better security at school. Oh and talking to your kids about the things they watch never hurt either.
edit on 20-12-2012 by GrimReaper86 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 20 2012 @ 04:53 PM
link   

I sure that was correct during the starwars movies, matrix movies ect ect! why do people in foriegn nations think they are superior to Americans? Why do they insist on acting like their small country does things better when there is evidence that shows they don't. Americas problems are much harder to solve just based on the size of our country alone.

posted on Dec, 20 2012 @ 04:54 PM
link   
reply to post by Bluesma

Fair enough but being desensitized is not the same thing as being a mass murderer.

posted on Dec, 20 2012 @ 04:54 PM
link   

No.

No it's not, actually. There is more than enough evidence in neurological studies, that people get de-sensitized to things through repetative exposure. Whether it be words, images, concepts in any form, seeing (or hearing) them a lot makes one lose the natural repulsive instincts. One integrates the idea or concept instead- it becomes recognized as part of the self.

This is an action that becomes relevant in relationships of long date, for example, where you will "soak up" part of the others attitudes or behaviors simply through repeated exposure.

We use this principle in animal training, in "sacking out", and I can assure you, through experience, that it can be used with humans!
edit on 20-12-2012 by Bluesma because: (no reason given)

Thanks for your input,and just letting you know your analogy in relation to us all picking up traits of others we are exposed to , is brilliant in this context.
So many cannot see the connection of what you say.
The fact is many of us get cheap thrills watching violent movies, but some get deadly ideas.

posted on Dec, 20 2012 @ 04:57 PM
link   
reply to post by Bluesma

I live in a foriegn country, where american movies are mocked often for their idiotic easy violence and not that many people go to see them.

Thanks for the perspective. I am an American and stopped going a long time ago because of the violence. Blood splatter and mass death are the norm to sell a ticket. No wonder we have these problems...

edit on 20-12-2012 by intrptr because: changed

posted on Dec, 20 2012 @ 05:18 PM
link   
The only irony for me is the american MSM. Over the past couple of years the main focus has been on the so called homegrown Muslim terrorists and Hezbollah agents just waiting to slaughter innocent Americans in their sleep, Yet its always the crazy American kid who does the killing.

With that said, people always tend to look for problems in all the wrong places, just like the OP.
I agree with you that most movies from Hollywood are crap, but they are not the cause of violence, nor is music, video games etc.

These violent Hollywood movies are distributed all over the world, we should all be slaughtering eachother every day if that was the case.

posted on Dec, 20 2012 @ 05:27 PM
link   

So to ease your delicate sensibilities, we should outright ban entire genres of film? Because of the potential actions of a few?

This is how tyranny starts and slaves are made.

reply to post by Bluesma

Yes, repetition leads to "desensitizing". I cannot argue against that.

But a rational mind will still understand that imitating the violent actions from a movie is unacceptable in a civilized world, and such actions have consequences.

As I said, a person who would do this, is going to be prone to violent outbursts anyway. Regardless of what movie they watch. Censorship because of the potential actions of a few unbalanced individuals is not the answer.

posted on Dec, 20 2012 @ 05:36 PM
link   
Ask yourself "Why do millions of humans make Hollywood moguls mega rich, by lapping up depravity simulated in countless Hollywood movies?

Just perhaps we all are not as sane as we think, there lays the root of all the hypocrisy.

A peaceful person doesn't buy ultraviolent dvds or attend movie theatres showing the mutilation and death of their fellow human beings, yet millions do.

So this is reality, ok most won't act out their fascinations with these movies, but some will, and there is the tragedy.

Blame it all on someone being a nutter, if you want, but perhaps if he hadn't been fed by violent movies and violent games he may not have went to such violent lengths.

posted on Dec, 20 2012 @ 05:39 PM
link   
I'm not sure about movies making Americans hypocrites. But their foreign policy certainly does. They blow the # out of anybody and anything that gets in their way overseas, so there is little wonder that some of their civilians see their government do this and decide that they will too.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join