It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Police respond to threat at Bloomington high school

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 19 2012 @ 01:18 AM
link   

Police respond to threat at Bloomington high school

www.wthr.com

Police in Bloomington responded to a threat made by a high school student Monday.
Officials at Bloomington High School South told police a male student allegedly told
another student of his plans to "break the record," making reference to the 26 people
killed in a school shooting in Newtown, Connecticut. The student said he had a gun
in his locker and the shooting was going to take place on Friday (Dec. 21).
Police and school officials were unable to find a weapon in the student's lockers
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Dec, 19 2012 @ 01:18 AM
link   
If this doesn't make evident the need for an analysis of what is going wrong with our youth here in America than I don't know what will. This hits home for me because of the location in which this particular issue had taken place. The boy who made the threat goes to school .4 miles from the elementary school my daughter attends, and this may have very well been the school he would have chosen to attack.

What is assisting in the detachment of these people from reality, and do we need more psychologists in the schools? Now that Lanza has set the bar, how many more will follow in his foot steps?
Why would one who has made it this far into teenage hood without displaying significant signs of such deviance even think of attacking innocent children who should never have to worry about such an attack?
I am worried about where our youth is going, and I have witnessed a wave of mental abnormalities sweep across the U.S. that just cannot be explained.
Too much Fluoride in the watter, or violence in movies and videogames disturbing an already volitile mentality? We need to get to the bottom of this, and a gun ban is not the cure?

Do we have any psychologists on the team ATS? As my 9 year old daughter has always said, "I just wish the Earth was more like what I see on Hello Kitty's world."

www.wthr.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Dec, 19 2012 @ 01:41 AM
link   
We can blame the media too.

posted on Dec, 19 2012 @ 01:44 AM
link   
Now that’s getting close to home.

posted on Dec, 19 2012 @ 01:46 AM
link   
When the media glorifies psychos by posting their name and picture everywhere and reporting about it non stop 24/7, it tends to make other psychos want that level of attention as well. They will be crawling out of the woodwork now.
edit on 12-19-12 by paradox because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 19 2012 @ 02:00 AM
link   
Wow. This shows how quickly someone can become an instant celebrity now days just by making comments.
There is no language quoted in the article to make this case.
It's a case of he said. . . that he said. . .

Why is this news?

posted on Dec, 19 2012 @ 02:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by randomtangentsrme
Wow. This shows how quickly someone can become an instant celebrity now days just by making comments.
There is no language quoted in the article to make this case.
It's a case of he said. . . that he said. . .

Why is this news?

It is news simply because of the fact that it is, well, news. I think it is a bit silly of you to just assume that it is he said, and not even think it remotely factual. Only aquiring 2 flags is hardly celebrity status, and the point of the post is to demonstrate how an Adam Lanza could be residing anywhere, no matter how safe you think your community is. With strict guidelines put in place by ATS in regards to the Breaking Alternative News forum, feel free to take it up with the mods if you feelit isn't adequate enough for your taste. WTHR is the largest news source in Indiana, and I can assure you that before this boy's name was ran through the mud, evidence would have had to be there.

posted on Dec, 19 2012 @ 02:23 AM
link   
the more media hype this gets the more people who are mentally ill will see it as their claim to fame.

There is a reason why serial killers arent given a media spot light beyond the absolute essentials to reporting their acts. It has been proven to produce copy cats.
edit on 19-12-2012 by zedVSzardoz because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 19 2012 @ 03:35 AM
link   
reply to post by cbaskins

Find me factual data and I will find it factual.
A kid said that a kid said, he's gonna. . . .

Hell I told a lot of friends in High school I was going to be a millionaire before I was thirty. That didn't happen.

I have no issue with you reporting on the story. I have issue with the story. There is nothing but hearsay. How do you make that a story?
By the same rational, A Christmas Carol would be held as factual, and we would all be visited by three ghosts at midnight leading up to Christmas.
Otherwise we have a story, not collaborated by evidence, but being reported.

The celeb comment was in regards to the individual, not you. As you site flags in your argument, I fear I was off in making my observations clear.
Your response however, does seem to paint a picture as to your intentions.

Oh, and the "student" was not identified as male or female, nor was the name released, so "his" name couldn't be "ran through the mud."

posted on Dec, 19 2012 @ 08:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by zedVSzardoz
the more media hype this gets the more people who are mentally ill will see it as their claim to fame.

There is a reason why serial killers arent given a media spot light beyond the absolute essentials to reporting their acts. It has been proven to produce copy cats.

I usually think that Pat Buchanan is a loon, but I read a piece by him yesterday that your post reminded me of.

Not long ago, there existed in our hearts “a fear of God.”

How, we would ask ourselves, if we commit an evil act like murder, will we answer at God’s judgment seat? For He will decide if we enter what the president called in Newtown, God’s “eternal house in heaven.”

But if God is dead, not to worry. Just put the gun to your head and pull the trigger, and it’s over. No trial. No disgrace. No prison. Nothing to worry about anymore.

No voice of conscience told Adam: Do not do this evil thing! Now he is no longer a nobody, a nerd, a recluse. He is famous. Everybody is talking about him, and ruminating on what might have motivated him.

Adam wanted to be somebody. And now he is.

And out there others like him are thinking: That could be me.

(The Dead Soul of Adam Lanza)

I have no idea what, if any, the religious beliefs of Adam Lanza were, but Buchanan has a point, I think -- if a person thinks that death means annihilation, and that killing themselves means that there are no ramifications to their actions, I'm not sure what you can possibly do to dissuade them from doing whatever they want, in the pursuit of fame, even if only in some small circle of people who will know what they did, regardless of media attention.

posted on Dec, 19 2012 @ 08:42 AM
link   
Maybe if we stop glorifying murderers this sort of stuff would be less common.

It's just media contagion hypothesis.

They are creating these problems with their nonsense 24/7 coverage.

~Tenth

posted on Dec, 19 2012 @ 08:58 AM
link   
reply to post by tothetenthpower

reply to post by adjensen

I agree. We need to put this into perspective. It is difficult though with the inundation of hype by the MSM taking advantage of this crisis to the utmost power.

I get it, the federal government would love to remove the 2nd amendment provisions from our state and federal constitutions. They seem to have an obsession with changing everything we hold constitutionally true. While it goes without saying that this sort of thing is horrible and we want to do what we can to prevent it, we are not going to throw the cat out with the bath water every time something happens that is not planned for.

You never let a serious crisis go to waste. And what I mean by that it's an opportunity to do things you think you could not do before.
Rahm Emanuel

The thing that is starting to really bother me is that they didn't even wait for the families to morn their dead children before going full steam ahead on this anti-gun agenda. I respect what the NRA did, even though I have NEVER identified with them. I don't even own a gun anymore. I still know the ramifications of going down the road of forgoing tradition and established values for whims and trends. This much Media Hype is just sickening now. I remember why I stopped watching TV all together. Even here in Europe they are going bat dung crazy with the push for restricting the US´s guns. That is just unacceptable IMO. It shows the intent of the international community seeing this tragedy as a way to implement part of Agenda 21 WHICH DOES COVER small arms and those of the US in particular.

The same language of un-sustainability for people to live on our freaking continent in any meaningful way is also used to describe the optimal state of Gun ownership. It is a direct assault on the US´s standard of armed civilians and their right to defend themselves as they see fit. It promotes a monopoly on the use of force by a universal army/ enforcement. Not even individual countries are to have the ability to defend themselves, let alone the civilian population.

This is all social programming by means of opportunistic hawks bearing down on a localized tragedy like was done in the UK to make the whole country change to their globalist ideal in preparation for the end result.
BS.

posted on Dec, 19 2012 @ 08:59 AM
link   
reply to post by FlySolo

I was going to say the same thing. I honestly think the media plays a bigger part in this than guns. The media gives ideas and motives. No one looks at a gun and think "how many?" they look at the media, hear the numbers and think that. Also the fact that mentally ill aren't treated well/poor insurance in the states, that's the other factor.

posted on Dec, 19 2012 @ 09:08 AM
link   

Time to ban lockers for the students......If they didn't have a place to hide the gun, we could save the kids!

You know how many stupid kids talk stupid threats like this daily? There would be a nonstop flow of this nonsense if there was a report on each one......That does not make this kid a criminal, or anything he said criminal......

Kids say dumb $hit all time, that is just a kid being a kid........

posted on Dec, 19 2012 @ 09:15 AM
link   
I'm posting this again. Again it's relevant.

posted on Dec, 19 2012 @ 09:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by zedVSzardoz

Thanks for weighing in, I am afraid that what you said is true. Now that the bar is set, psycopaths will be viewing this as the standard to meet when carrying out their terrible deeds. Whats next, a nursery, or a head start school for toddlers? Truly scary!

posted on Dec, 19 2012 @ 09:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by randomtangentsrme

Find me factual data and I will find it factual.
A kid said that a kid said, he's gonna. . . .

Hell I told a lot of friends in High school I was going to be a millionaire before I was thirty. That didn't happen.

I have no issue with you reporting on the story. I have issue with the story. There is nothing but hearsay. How do you make that a story?
By the same rational, A Christmas Carol would be held as factual, and we would all be visited by three ghosts at midnight leading up to Christmas.
Otherwise we have a story, not collaborated by evidence, but being reported.

The celeb comment was in regards to the individual, not you. As you site flags in your argument, I fear I was off in making my observations clear.
Your response however, does seem to paint a picture as to your intentions.

Oh, and the "student" was not identified as male or female, nor was the name released, so "his" name couldn't be "ran through the mud."

My bad, I guess it is hard to predict one's intentions strictly through a block of text. I understand where your coming from, but the chances that this is even slightly tru is pretty good. With that said, we can't take threats lightly when pertaining to the murder of innocent children. At the least this kid's threat shows the detachment of today's youth wouldn't you say? Sorry again, I thought you could have been one of those rude dueds always trying to undermine threads. lol

posted on Dec, 19 2012 @ 09:54 AM
link   

The sad part is that a lot of youth do not understand the seriousness of their comments and threats. They think it is a joke. Some of them are making threats to shut down the school, because they don't want to be there. I sat down with my Grade School daughter and had a long talk with her about the seriousness. She is often calling me from school wanting me to come and get her because she doesn't want to be there that day. With all the talk on the news I have been afraid that she and her friends are going to do something stupid just to get out of class for a few days.

posted on Dec, 19 2012 @ 10:15 AM
link   

These are the questions we need to ask. What are we doing wrong as a society that is driving people (children to adult) to feel that this is an option?

The issue is the mental health status of our nation. There are so many factors that play into it.

posted on Dec, 19 2012 @ 10:46 AM
link   
Sadly, it is a societal issue, and it will take a long long time to get it right. 5000 years of recorded history, but we are only still evolving.

1. A civilised society begins with the family unit, but sadly, while parents have the natural biological means to give birth to children, TEACHING the child is a totally different issue, and does not come NATURALLY.

Some parents spoil their kids, while others bash their kids either physically or mentally, in the belief that they way is right to bring up upright and sane adults.

Many had succeeded, which accounts for our evolution from the caves, with illuminaries of our civilisation. But greed, crime, murder, drugs, etc societal ills still pervades.

Parents will be first to accept responsibility for their kids, and how they turn out in life.

2. Next in line will be our relatives and friends. They are our social peers, and we humans are very much influenced by those around us. If we stay with positive people, we mature and progress quickly as well as positively. Stay with negative people, and we will be suckered into negativity, regress and may eventually go insane one day.

3. Next to accept responsibility will be religious leaders. Religion is meant as a moral and ethical path for mankind's progress and evolution. Interpretate it right and we will be elevated. Do it wrong, and we regress.

Much lays with religious leaders, on what they do, did not do, had done and had not done. It is their teachings that largely reflects how a society progresses or regresses. No child was born an atheist or will anyone find an atheist in a foxhole during a aerial bomb attack / ( when faced with pressures and stresses of life)

4. Society itself - through the elected leaders, have to take and shoulder most of that responsibility. As a civilised society that had enough of living in jungles and with jungles laws, whom had decided to SHARE and live as a unit protected to progress and evolve TOGETHER, it creates and legislate laws that are ensured we all can live and co-exist with one another, leaving none behind.

Alone, an individual will not have knowledge of ALL aspects civilisation traits - society, economics, politics. But when we SHARE our knowledge and pool our resources, we will then be able to progress and evolve, for each brings to the table something that they know and when combined, forms the whole. No man is an island, nor is a man born out of a rock.

Thus, there is need for more meaningful conversations to be shared, discussed and debated to find solutions for mankind to progress and evolve.

Right now, at this moment, we know what are the problems of the world, the nation and the community faces, so long as we seek for the truth and do not live in denial. Solutions are needed.

One of the issue right now posed on this thread is why are some kids seemingly hell bent on following the example of the ChildSlayer.

Rebelliousness and angst of youth perhaps? Ignored by parents and adults? Inflated egos? It is only common, for ALL of us were teens once.

Perhaps the solution lays in creating MORE avenues where EACH child can show his/her worth to their peers, such as hobbies, sports, academic achievements, talent searches, etc, and each activity given EQUAL weightage of applause and recognition?

For example - a baseball team is equal to the football team, a sciene olympiard is equal to a literature olympiard, a singer is equal to a a scout, and ALL of them are treated equal, as only contributors to the whole? In this manner, none will be left behind, or feel left out or unwanted by his/her peers, parents and society. .

<<   2 >>

join