It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Obama 'backs assault weapons ban'

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 18 2012 @ 04:47 PM
link   
reply to post by MystikMushroom

That is YOUR definition of an assault rifle. I know people that think any "military style" weapon is an assault rifle. Some other people I've run across think it is the calliber of the round that makes it an assault rifle.

Nope the definition is already there..........tahts the point...........its not "assault rifles" they want to go after......its anything that LOOKS like one.......

as·sault ri·fle Noun A rapid-fire, magazine-fed automatic rifle designed for infantry use.

its clear the difference between what the definition is, and what the gov is trying to do, makes it obvious that its a gun grab and a grab at our rights, because what the gov is trying to do, has NOTHING to do with REAL , BY DEFINITION, assault rifles.

edit on 18-12-2012 by ManBehindTheMask because: (no reason given)

edit on 18-12-2012 by ManBehindTheMask because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 18 2012 @ 05:02 PM
link   
reply to post by SaltireWarrior

I would like to ask you, how can you feel safe? when a criminal who got his weapon off the black market, flips out and starts shooting at you, and your government tells you you have no right to have a weapon to defend yourself with. Maybe your police will jump in front of you and stop those nasty illegal bullets.

posted on Dec, 18 2012 @ 05:04 PM
link   
I back the "Impeachment" Bill if he signs it....

posted on Dec, 18 2012 @ 05:16 PM
link   
Banning anything doesn't take anything off the streets. Never has never will, Ever
Machinists and metal fabricators don't need to buy guns, they make them, just as chemists make primers and gun powders or explosives.

The only thing that the government hasn't made a failure in this country is Medicaid and food stamps, they should stick to that and let everyone else decide what is best for them

posted on Dec, 18 2012 @ 05:19 PM
link   
reply to post by thisguyrighthere

Their politicians, they are to smart to know what weapon was used. They won't take Assault weapons in the south. Everyone and their Sister has at least one.

posted on Dec, 18 2012 @ 11:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by SaltireWarrior
We have grown up in 2 very different cultures. I can't understand Americas love of guns, you guys can't understand our hatred of them.

Honest question, how do you guys feel safe walking down the street knowing that some guy could have an assault rifle and snap at any moment? Like seriously, how do you feel safe?

I think that the perception that "Americans love guns" is taken a bit out of context. I think it is more accurate to say that "Americans love freedom" and that we are - well, most of us - are aware of how this country began. We realize that guns were instrumental in gaining our independence and in that regard, we do love what guns represent, even though many Americans do not own any. Guns represent our ability to maintain our freedom. We all know that our freedoms have been eroded to the point that Thomas Jefferson's popular quote is close to becoming an unfortunate reality. The tree of liberty will soon be refreshed with the blood of patriots and tyrants. None of us want that, but it is looking like it is going to happen if this government does not step the f*ck back and respect the constitution. Of course, the tyrants will be safe in their secured areas while sending other to die in their stead, as always.

posted on Dec, 19 2012 @ 12:55 AM
link   
RalagaNarHallas:

...no group of citizenry anywhere, let alone in the united states, is capable of using said weapons to overthrow a tyrannical government, despite the fact that right now people in the middle east are doing just that (Syria,Libya).

Oh please, unwrap your head from your star spangled banner will you. These so-called uprisings, those of Eygpt and Libyia were successful simply because they had military help from other countries that wanted to see them succeed. Syria, is currently in its death throes, the rebels again getting outside aid from the countries that want the rebels to win...yours included. This now brings me to the point of my reply...

The nearest public face of a tyrannical government in America was that of George Bush's. The world watched in awe as Americans rose up to defend their constitution while the Bush administration set about shredding from it the bits that concerned the freedoms of Americans against unlawful arrest. If you actually believe that you could take on a tyrannical government without outside aid from other countries, you really are in for a rude awakening!

Let me say it to you in a nutshell...you wouldn't stand a chance! You are not defending against anything federal by having a gun. Your gun doesn't even 'protect', it just gives you the option to engage an attacker, and that does not mean you will be the one to come out unscathed! This belief that many Americans have about the 2nd amendment is total bull#!

The 2nd amendment might have been useful and practical in the 18th century, but in the 21st century, its only use is as an idealistic delusion. Today, it is as redundant as yesterday's perfume! You had a taste of soft tyranny with Bush, and Obama's administration has continued it...why are you not out on the streets with your guns?

Here's why...it is because you are not a united citizenry, you're all too paranoid with one another, making you incapable of uniting into a citizen force that would have even the most remote chance against a full-on, coming-to-get-you tyranny! There isn't an American alive today that knows what real tyranny is, or what it feels like...you've all read about it in books, and watched stories about it on your screens, but you have never experienced it! The irony of it all is that many Americans are not wholly concerned that their government exports its own brand of tyranny abroad...they seem quite happy with that.

Want to know what tyranny might be like if it arrives...watch the Waco documentaries, because that was just a microcosm of what you can expect when it comes time for you to truly resist them taking your guns...but hey, at least you'll go down fighting, eh? Meanwhile, over here in the mother country, we'll be walking down our streets enjoying the exact same freedoms without the need for a single gun to defend them. We are not paranoid or living in fear. We are not scared of each other, we do not fear each other, and we are absolutely not scared of our government!

By all means, stay in the 18th century with an eye towards your 2nd amendment and Bill of Rights, gaze upon them with loving fondness as the rest of the world awaits you to catch up to us in the 21st century. If you're honest, when it comes to your liberties and freedoms and rights, you really don't have much of a proven track record for their defence at all...do you?
edit on 19/12/12 by elysiumfire because: Adjustment

edit on 19/12/12 by elysiumfire because: (no reason given)

edit on 19/12/12 by elysiumfire because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 19 2012 @ 01:36 AM
link   
real weapon is a sniper anyway and scopes arnt banned

posted on Dec, 19 2012 @ 06:28 AM
link   

US President Barack Obama wants to reinstate an assault weapons ban in the wake of the mass killings in Newtown, Connecticut, his spokesman says. Jay Carney said the president was "actively supportive" of a Democratic senator's plan to introduce a bill on the first day of the next Congress. Mr Obama would also consider curbs on high-capacity ammunition and loopholes, Mr Carney said.

Source

Just saw it posted on the BBC, looked through forums and couldn't find anything so I thought I'd post it.
edit on 18/12/12 by SaltireWarrior because: (no reason given)

I applaud Obama on this. Whatever your views on guns and gun control, millitary grade weapons are not needed and if you are buying one, your sole purpose is to cause absolute death and devastation.

These are not needed for hunting.

Victory for common sense!

When I bought my AR I surely wasn't buying it for death and devastation. Neither were the other 20-30 people I know/shoot with. Jesus...consider the stupidity of what some of you are saying...

posted on Dec, 19 2012 @ 06:31 AM
link   
I dont understand how he can do anything, even with congress. They can not decide what each state allows in its borders.

They can ask nicely, but you will never take those caliber and design weapons from Texas for example.

They CAN NOT tell states that on a federal level they are illegal. Maybe in DC, but everywhere else, the state government decides.

posted on Dec, 19 2012 @ 06:48 AM
link   
I don't get the uproar over a federal AWB. Seems to me that you can still buy an AR, but it won't have a bayonet lug, telescoping stock or 30-rd magazine. You'll still be able to mount flashlights and lasers.

I'm more of a fan of the older firearms, and don't understand how the AWB will take away any rights. Seems like the AWB is a feel good measure to show that the POTUS is doing something, but in reality no one will be any safer.

posted on Dec, 19 2012 @ 06:56 AM
link   
reply to post by Feltrick

For a lot of collectors authenticity is important and the further you get away from the real article the less appealing it is.

Try passing off Chop Kick Panda as Kung Fu Panda to your kids.

Or putting a crappy body kit on your Civic because you couldnt afford a real rally build.

Same difference.

The other side of that coin is obviouos. It's just a bayonet lug and a stock. Doesnt do a damn thing to make it less lethal. CT has an AWB and the psychos rifle was AWB compliant so why the hell bother passing wide sweeping legislation that as we have just seen will do nothing to prevent what just happened?

posted on Dec, 19 2012 @ 08:00 AM
link   
reply to post by thisguyrighthere

I agree about authenticity, I would not want to make an M1 Carbine compliant by removing the lug and buying 10-rd mags. I get that and thank you for responding.

I don't think the reinstatement of the AWB will do anything to curb violence. It's not the gun, it's the people. Unfortunately, I don't have the answer to fix the people problem without violating our other rights. I'm sure our glorious leaders will find a solution that will benefit all.

posted on Dec, 19 2012 @ 08:03 AM
link   
Terms and Conditions of Use

15h.) Spamming: You will not Post identical content, or snippets of identical content, to multiple threads in the discussion forums. You will also not create more than one thread for your topic, or create multiple "slightly different" threads for a single topic.

edit on 19/12/12 by JAK because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 19 2012 @ 08:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by Urantia1111

The US Constitution does not guarantee the right to bear arms so we can go hunting. That 2nd is in place specifically to enable citizenry to defend themselves against oppression by their government. Hunting has zero to do with why we have this right.

Bravo fellow patriot!

posted on Dec, 19 2012 @ 08:37 AM
link   

Apparently "Common sense" isn't so common anymore.

You can "Applaud Obama" until your hands bleed, but it only demonstrates an absolute lack of knowledge and the embrace of ignorance.

Take a look at this! Ohhhhhhhh, SCARY!!!

But, did you know that it is really just this with some window dressing and a few modifications? Fully street legal.

Now how about this! Also SCARY!!!! Ohhhhhhhh...

That "military-grade weapon is SCARY!!!
But, you know what? It's just this... with some window dressing and modifications.

"Military-grade" weapons have been banned in this country for over 50 years! You have no business making such assertions when it is apparent you have no idea what you're talking about. Just because you don't understand something or it looks scary to you doesn't grant you the right to restrict another's freedom.

posted on Dec, 19 2012 @ 09:15 AM
link   
It is action such as this by the President that ANY country in our world must have a minimum of 2 parties in govt. This is why the republican party exists, if it will get its head out of the hole they had dug themselves in.

Doesn't it seem strange that the President, whom is an intelligent man, well knowned as in touch with the people, would ban assualt weapons against what was written in the sacred Constitution?

Why assualt weapons? Why not a TOTAL ban on all firearms, if he and fools like him believes that eradicating the 2nd amendments will end ALL murders, end of the issue and let's move on?

It is in CLEAR violation of the sacred Constitution that had stood the test of time for 200+ years, and it had never been weapons that kill. It was the men behind those weapons that kill, and are the ones whom solutions have to be found to end their bloodlust.

If the President, the democrats and the republicans DO DARE to INFRINGE upon the 2nd amendment, then it goes to show VERY CLEARLY the current administration and congress had turned rogue, and are the VERY elements that the 2nd amendment had been wirtten to protect the citizens against.

Remember each and every legislator for their irrational stance against ALL logic and reason, and know how to vote next time, for they are no longer representing you, but representing some hidden agenda that is evidently Anti-America.

posted on Dec, 19 2012 @ 04:09 PM
link   

I've not even read any replies yet, but the 2nd Amendment is about keeping us safe from far reaching gov'ts lead by a despot.

You disarm them, you enslave them, and then you exterminate them.

Derek

posted on Dec, 19 2012 @ 04:30 PM
link   

yep sure does firstread.nbcnews.com...

In the wake of last week's shooting at an elementary school in Newtown, Conn., the president announced a new initiative that would include members of his cabinet and outside organizations to generate proposals to rein in gun violence. He said that any effort should include new restrictions on guns, but also improved access to mental health services and better management of violence in popular culture.

posted on Dec, 20 2012 @ 02:11 PM
link   

US President Barack Obama wants to reinstate an assault weapons ban in the wake of the mass killings in Newtown, Connecticut, his spokesman says. Jay Carney said the president was "actively supportive" of a Democratic senator's plan to introduce a bill on the first day of the next Congress. Mr Obama would also consider curbs on high-capacity ammunition and loopholes, Mr Carney said.

Source

Just saw it posted on the BBC, looked through forums and couldn't find anything so I thought I'd post it.

I applaud Obama on this. Whatever your views on guns and gun control, millitary grade weapons are not needed and if you are buying one, your sole purpose is to cause absolute death and devastation.

Victory for common sense!

This is not true.. They are used often as the weapon of choice for predator hunting especially when enforcing a depredation permit.

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join