It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Bizarro World - GOP suggests raising taxes on millionaires and DNC rejects because plan leaves out d

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 18 2012 @ 02:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by solidguy
reply to post by burdman30ott6

Corporations don't pay taxes, they pass that cost to their consumers.

Corporations pay taxes based on their profits, or at least that is the intent of corporate taxes. In the past few years we've seen more corporations paying nothing in taxes, but that doesn't mean that is the way things should be. Corporate tax deferral policy adopted by the United States is, in fact, one of the primary reasons the US' manufacturing base has taken a giant crap on the rug. Multinational American-owned corporations can, essentially indefinitely, defer paying taxes on any monies made outside US borders by simply not reinvesting that money anywhere inside the USA. Meanwhile, they can utilize their US profits to make any stateside investments and write those almost completely off. This allowes the US to be used as almost a slush fund for companies like GE who make insane global profits, pay insane bonuses to their US executives, but list the majority of their profits as being made in foreign nations (many of which post even higher profit margins thanks to reduced cost of labor and materials). All they have to do is fund a Senator campaign here, a presidential campaign there, and toss a few bucks towards a good PR campaign and they keep everything they make. Meanwhile, every American citizen who isn't connected to this machine takes it in the seat of the pants.

posted on Dec, 18 2012 @ 02:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by solidguy
reply to post by burdman30ott6

Corporations don't pay taxes, they pass that cost to their consumers.

funny how that doesn't work in the opposite way, since corporate taxes have been going lower and lower for the last 6 decades.
ANY COST INCREASE, for any reason, they pass on to their consumers, so your point is moot

when exxon pays no federal taxes on 40 billion in profits, and get a 30 million tax rebate in the same year something is wrong.
edit on 18-12-2012 by jimmyx because: addition

posted on Dec, 18 2012 @ 02:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by jimmyx

Originally posted by HappyLIBERTARIAN
I completely agree. Both parties suck so bad, and if you ask me, both would love to raise taxes. I think America needs to wake up and go Libertarian. FREEDOM!

five minutes with a libertarian telling you how they would fix the economy will reveal....simplistic answers to complex problems, unble to take into account consequences in a detailed, thorough, and deliberative manner of their stated legislative changes.

Occam's Razor: The simplest solution is often the correct one.
Besides, it isn't exactly like these overly complex, overly stupid "solutions" the current government Pez dispenser flip-top heads have been proposing the past 20 years or so are working very well. The body is clinically dead because we are specifically broke, the hypocratic oath is now meaningless and the time for simplistic, yet potentially drastic, solutions is upon us.

posted on Dec, 18 2012 @ 03:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by Glinda
What is most telling is that Boehner's Plan B is actually a recycle of a Nancy Pelosi (when she was Speaker) own "Plan A." Ironic, huh?

Why Boehner doesn't force a vote in the House and dump this mess in to the lap of the "no budget for four years Harry Reid Senate" I don't know. None of this smoke and mirrors political brinksmanship means nothing without cutting government spending. And NEITHER party is addressing that.

The dumbed down American voter really does believe that they are entitled to government largesse. It's "free!"

uhhmm...yes....if the american voter pays into the federal tax system through income, excise, fed tax on utilities, investment tax, infrastructure taxes etc....we should get it back, we as americans are entitled to get back in some form the taxes paid...why is this so hard to understand

posted on Dec, 18 2012 @ 03:38 PM
link   
reply to post by jimmyx

Read up on Ludwig Von Mises, Ron Paul, Lew Rockwell, etc and they explain a lot of things on how to fix the horrible economies.

posted on Dec, 18 2012 @ 05:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by HappyLIBERTARIAN
reply to post by Mike.Ockizard

We have 220 trillion in unfunded liabilites (s.s., medicaid, medicare) and a 16 trillion dollar deficit. Since we get money lent to us with .46 cents of interest on that money, there is no way to pay it back. This is a model they have put in place to keep us under control of the federal reserve. Before 1913, there wasn't an income tax. The only time they would put a major tax is if war broke out, and people would have to just send them money, it wasn't directly taken out of their checks. We work about 4 to 6 months out of a year just to pay our taxes so they can keep spending money on an overbloated government that has not intention on scaling back. They actually keep increasing spending by about 6% every single year. I fear there is no going back, and you will continually see the debt increase by at least a trillion a year until they have to make some major tax increases and major cuts to the social programs, then you will see unrest.

Why blame THEM. WE are the ones who sat around and let THEM do whatever they wanted. I used to rant about how THEY controlled things. My reality has canged and I blame myself. I was too busy livin the good life. Blind to my part in this whole mess. The sooner WE take responsibility, the sooner things will start to get better.

posted on Dec, 18 2012 @ 10:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by burdman30ott6

Originally posted by milominderbinder

Originally posted by ararisq
I don't think you liberals understand that government spending is generated from the labor of the people.

So is corporate spending.

Well hell, neither party talks much about taxing corporations, now do they?

This is the one advantage to having the same party (pick one, don't really give a damn which because they both are a GD joke) in full power. It's a lot more difficult to play good cop/bad cop with just one cop in the room...

Boehner is grasping right now, but I don't entirely blame him for that. He's up against slightly over half of the American voter base which has received enough in gifts and dowries from the left to be fiercely loyal and support anything the Meal Ticket proposes or endorses. That was demonstrated in the November elections. Boehner is attempting to satisfy enough of the receivers without seriously offending the victims of tax theft who provided those gifts in the first place. It is a fool's game which he simply can't win. To be honest, I'd rather go off the cliff IF that plunge included absolutely no increase to the debt limit and the government allowed the USA to enter full default. Unfortunately, I think the GOP will buckle before the nation defaults, but possibly after all of our taxes have already escalated.

I'm actually quite hopeful we go over the cliff and the whole economy REALLY collapses.

We need to SOMETHING to happen so that the Right realizes that government workers and services ARE really important and the Left realizes that corporations DO fulfill a lot of their basic needs.

Maybe if everything went to hell in a hand basket we could all remember what it is to be Americans instead of pawns.

posted on Dec, 19 2012 @ 02:38 AM
link   
reply to post by milominderbinder

The problem with going off the cliff is that the people who are already suffering the most will pay the biggest price yet again while the people/corporations with the largest portion of responsibility for the economic mess we are facing won't feel a damn thing. I think that when austerity is on the table or being pushed through in small doses the first that should feel it are policy/law makers, whether it makes a dent in the deficit or not... motivate them to find real solutions. A corporation would no longer pay a CEO that put up negative numbers, if there is anything of value we can take from their playbook, maybe it is that.

posted on Dec, 20 2012 @ 02:58 PM
link   
reply to post by HappyLIBERTARIAN

I don't think they should legalize all drugs, but before the 30's m.j. was legal and there was many good uses for hemp. The paper companies lobbied against it because they could make paper cheaper from hemp.

Libertarian principles don't distinguish between MJ or crack. Libertarians don't want the government to dictate the use of anything. I tend to agree IN PRINCIPLE but there are some things that a civilized society should regulate...IMO of course. 

As for being an "Isolationist", it is actually a non-interventionist policy, meaning, we don't want war unless we are under a direct threat from another country.

Again, while I agree in principle there are times when we can act to militarily stop threats before they are serious. For instance, had US engaged the Nazis sooner the threat would have never grown to the scale it did. You don't wait to begin cancer treatments when you're already terminal and laying on your death bed. Do you know what a cancer screening is? 

The whole al-qaeda thing is a very good thing for them because they can have a war with no borders, and the people making all of the weapons and funding the war, make bank by funding both sides. The central bank/federal reserve is the major problem in this country. They keep interest rates low, causing the largest tax increase every, Inflation! It hurts everyone equally.

I believe in those conspiracy theories. Just because war has been conducted wrong in the past doesn't mean my reasoning isn't sound. It just depends who is calling the shots and for what reasons. 

BTW...I don't see any scenario that would make me vote for a GOP candidate again. The GOP is all but dead to me. It's actions have been unacceptable.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join