It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Knife's have multiple uses, guns don't

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 17 2012 @ 06:36 AM
link   
reply to post by Lucid Lunacy

to be fair, the OP didnt say killing people, they said 'killing' and 'ending life'
and yes you are correct, i was just twisting everything in that post i commented on to use the word 'kill/killing' as much as possible, the point still stands.

im not anti-gun by the way and i was just being devils advocate.

im from Northern Ireland where i have seen guns used for things other than killing.
like knee-cappings for instance

unless i completely read the OP wrong, the topic is Guns dont have multiple uses where as knives have a lot of uses that dont necessarily mean death to something.

admittedly it does make me laugh at how defensive americans in general are about protecting their firearms but thats just a personal thing.
for the record, i dont think they should take your guns

posted on Dec, 17 2012 @ 06:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by raskadawg73
reply to post by Lucid Lunacy

to be fair, the OP didnt say killing people, they said 'killing' and 'ending life'

I didn't mean to say you were out of the scope of the thread topic, just specifically the quote you had replied to. Which contained "So there are 4 reasons to own a gun that doesn't involve killing a human.".

admittedly it does make me laugh at how defensive americans in general are about protecting their firearms but thats just a personal thing.

I find it funny too depending on who and what's being said. I find it funny how much Americans hold onto the Constitution like it's a perfect infallible holy book and think no other system could possibly surpass it. And I am an American
Needless to say I am rather radical leaning.

Still, in the spirit of self-defense alone I just can't support some of these gun control ideas. Some might take their pro-gun arguments to radical extents like protecting themselves from the NWO, or from dirty liberal hippies, but that's not the only US citizens wanting guns for self-defense. The need is real.

posted on Dec, 17 2012 @ 07:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by Undeadlady
The reason for me making this thread is because i have seen lots of comments on various threads saying things along the lines of " why don't they ban knife's as well then" This is not a valid point, knife's have multiple uses, cutting meat, eating with, skinning things, carving things.
Gun's are made for one thing, to KILL, simple as that, if someone knows of another use for a gun other than ending life, can you please share it with me. So to all the posters who have said, ban knife's then, ban tools etc etc, your point is not valid, Gun's end life nothing more, no other use for it, nada .
Of course the gun is made for the express purpose of killing. It is the latest in a long line of implements humanity has contrived to "even the odds" of survival in a very violent and chaotic world. The knife, the spear, the atlatl, the bow and arrow, the sword, the sling and stone....... ad infinitum. We have become quite sophisticated and scientific in our quest to kill. So, in light of the enormous amount of time and energy our species has spent perfecting the methods of killing, you come here and declare that banning guns will fix it all. Since they are made specifically for killing, we get rid of them, we solve the problem. Your naivete is mind boggling, but worse yet, you are evincing typical behavior of lazy, uncommitted types who think their "epiphany" has such prima facia truth that no argument may be mounted against it. Got news fer ya, changing the world is hard work.
Mankind has clearly demonstrated its complete willingness to committ acts of unspeakable violence against its own members. We will use anything at hand to kill, unless nothing is at hand in which case we will use our hands. Whether or not we die by gunfire or bashed by a rock, we are just as dead.
You need to dig deeper. Although your supposition about the use of guns is essentially correct, you fail to realize that at the time guns were invented, mankind could still be victims of predation and other evils. Guns GREATLY contributed to mankind's survival and were originally defensive in nature, albiet still designed for killing.
In my mind, one death is as appalling as 1000. Adam Lanza could have tossed a molotov cocktail into the lunch room because he could not get a gun. Or he may have directed his rage elsewhere. But whatever he did or would have done, do you honestly think his rage would be mitigated for lack of armament? He likely still would have killed his mother and that is NOT an acceptable body count becuase it is higher than 0.
I mean you personally no insult or ill will, I just get a little crazy when people chase Red Herrings, like gun control/bans, and the problems go on while only the names change. Very discouraging.

posted on Dec, 17 2012 @ 09:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by Lucid Lunacy

I get it, a disgruntled feminist. ....

I take it you are female? Biological fact ! You have smaller brains then men. That's tragic. Just sayin !

I find it amusing it's almost always the sexist that accuses another of being a 'feminist'. Must be that projection mechanism.

Here is another fact. Einsteins brain was smaller than average in size. Reconcile that with your point.

My G_d man get a grip ! It is a biological FACT ! It has NOTHING to do with their capacity to engage in critical thought. That's HORMONAL

posted on Dec, 17 2012 @ 09:57 AM
link   
reply to post by Undeadlady

Guns are just for ending a life? wow.

I use guns to get food because I don't like the meat that's being served up at the local grocery store. I also use guns for protection---afterall, there IS a lot of nuts around these days. If I end up at a mall and some nut decides to execute everyone there, including my family, I will use my gun and have a fighting chance, instead of cowering down like a yuppie. Many, many good uses for guns other than for killing people there is.

My family also gets together some weekends, when the weather is nice, and shoot at targets. It's incredibly fun, and it's a good opportunity to educate our kids about guns and teach them how to hunt AND defend themselves.

Again, if you own guns, keep them locked up in a gun cabinet or gun safe!!!!! Don't leave guns lying around with the bullets!!!! DUH!!!! Especially if you have kids, or a mentally unstable person in the house!! Guns are for responsible people.

Let me ask you this:
If the country crumbles---no stores, no food---How do you expect to survive???? Depend on the zio government??? LOLOLOL
edit on 17-12-2012 by Fylgje because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 17 2012 @ 10:56 AM
link   

The reason for me making this thread is because i have seen lots of comments on various threads saying things along the lines of " why don't they ban knife's as well then" This is not a valid point, knife's have multiple uses, cutting meat, eating with, skinning things, carving things.
Gun's are made for one thing, to KILL, simple as that, if someone knows of another use for a gun other than ending life, can you please share it with me. So to all the posters who have said, ban knife's then, ban tools etc etc, your point is not valid, Gun's end life nothing more, no other use for it, nada .

you completely missed the point.

posted on Dec, 17 2012 @ 01:33 PM
link   
Perhaps the Europeans should bring their knives to wars. Perhaps when their nations are invaded they should rush to the kitchen and grab a knife.

Guns protect freedom. Period.

posted on Dec, 17 2012 @ 01:55 PM
link   

Going to end my posts with this note, looking from the outside in it saddens me why you all don't see that guns are for killing, nothing else, you all seem to be defending the gun like it's something to be proud of. I don't understand this. I understand that your saying it's for protection and i totally get that, must be scary knowing everyone within range could be packing a gun, but that was not my argument, my argument was about all the knife/tools ban talk, i wanted to make the point that guns are only for killing. Stop the production of guns for the public and eventually they will all be antiques that don't work very well, gotta start somewhere eh.

This is the distinct difference between you and an American.
You cannot grasp the concept of freedom and liberty.
Your words betray this to those of us who read them closely. You use terms like "Americans are allowed to have guns" You worship the state or the crown or something other than the individual. I dont need anyones permission to own a tool. I dont need anyone else looking over my sholder to make sure I am following their idea of rules. I am a free man and I will own and carry what I darn well please. That fact that others misuse this responsibility is not my concern unless they attempt to misuse it on me or mine. That is the duel nature of freedom. We must accept thoses risks in order to be free.
Yes my guns are for killing and so are my knives. I WILL use them to kill if I must and I train as much as I can to do just that. I carry a pistol and several knives on a daily basis not because I live in fear but because I want to. Because I do not trust my safety and self defense to some uniformed and bejeweled clown of the state. I carry because if the worst does happen I pray that I am there to at least attempt to stop it. I may die in the process but at least someone with the will and the means to stop evil men from committing evil will be there to do something about it. Do something other than just show up and string up crime tape and zip the body bags.

posted on Dec, 17 2012 @ 03:26 PM
link   

Here's some valid points.

1.Guns are the foundation to our democratic republic.
2. It's a right in our constitution.
3. Every past regime or government that I can think of that has outright banned guns have then turned their own guns onto the citizenry.
4. Absolute power corrupts absolutely. It's not just a nice slogan.
5. Those few countries in existance to this day that have total gun bans also have some of the WORST human rights violations in history.
6. The cities in the US that have the strictest gun bans are consistantly the same cities with the HIGHEST gun violence and murder rates around. There's a good 50 year history to verify that if you'd like to check the FBI crime statistics.
edit on 12/17/1212 by foodstamp because: Addition

edit on 12/17/1212 by foodstamp because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 17 2012 @ 03:29 PM
link   
Your argument is PATHETIC!
Why not ban your speech because it can hurt people?

posted on Dec, 17 2012 @ 03:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by Fylgje

Guns are just for ending a life? wow.

I use guns to get food because I don't like the meat that's being served up at the local grocery store. I also use guns for protection---afterall, there IS a lot of nuts around these days. If I end up at a mall and some nut decides to execute everyone there, including my family, I will use my gun and have a fighting chance, instead of cowering down like a yuppie. Many, many good uses for guns other than for killing people there is.

I don't know if it means anything to you. But when I see citizens open carrying here. I feel more comfortable and safer because of people like that and people like you. So God bless you. Some of us cannot carry for certain reasons. So It is comforting to know that my fellow citizen will have my back if the SHTF. A wonderful feeling. And I would do the same in my limited capacity for you as a fellow citizen should the occasion arise. We should all be thankful for people like yourself.

posted on Dec, 17 2012 @ 03:32 PM
link   
"knife's"

Really? Wow. Public schools for ya.

Anyway, guns have many uses as well:

Defending yourself against a rapist.
Defending yourself against a mugger with a knife.
Defending yourself against a mugger with a gun.
Target practice.
Defending yourself against an armed home invader (he doesn't really need to be armed).
Defending yourself against a wild animal that is attacking you
Hunting.
Defending yourself against an active shooter in a mall.
Defending yourself against an active shooter in a school.
Defending yourself against an active shooter in a movie theater.
Defending yourself against a tyrannical government that wants to take away your ability to defend yourself.

I'm sure there are more, but here's a short list.

edit on 17-12-2012 by AwakeinNM because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 17 2012 @ 08:13 PM
link   

So to all the posters who have said, ban knife's then, ban tools etc etc, your point is not valid, Gun's end life nothing more, no other use for it, nada .

knives certainly are a great tool.
Guns however, in the right hands, defend homes, your country and your rights in some cases.

posted on Dec, 18 2012 @ 12:32 AM
link   

posted on Dec, 18 2012 @ 01:33 AM
link   
well skip the gun laws, and just outlaw murder.
it covers all sorts of types of violent weapons at once.

i mean if people cant even follow that law, then what difference would it make to ban the possible ways to kill a person.

posted on Dec, 18 2012 @ 03:05 AM
link   
reply to post by Bisman

well skip the gun laws, and just outlaw murder.
it covers all sorts of types of violent weapons at once.

Name all the countries that don't outlaw murder.

i mean if people cant even follow that law, then what difference would it make to ban the possible ways to kill a person.

Indeed. Criminals don't abide by laws. That's what it means to be a criminal. They will commit violent acts regardless. And find any weapon available to do so. If the weapons exist, which they do, they will be used. Which subsequently is why people need weapons for defense.
edit on 18-12-2012 by Lucid Lunacy because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 20 2012 @ 01:25 AM
link   

You sound like you've never been around guns. The number
ONE reason to own a gun is self defense.

If you're okay with your mother, or your wife and daughter
being
protected by you and your kitchen knife from rapist and/or
Burglars, whom are armed with guns, coming to your house,
with the intent of killing you, shooting your dogs, and raping
Them, then i am speechless.

It is your duty to protect your family against any and all
Threats, be it homicidal, economical, or comical (Dane
Cook anybody).

A cops job is to deter crime, if they aren't atyour side to do
So, then it's up to you. If you don't, the cops will file
A report , the detectives will solve the crime,
and send out a press
Release about your gruesome demise.

it's impossible to go back in time and stop guns from being.
They are here. Your enemies have them, please don't bring
A knife to a gunfight.

posted on Dec, 20 2012 @ 09:03 AM
link   
homer simpsons use to use his gun to change the telly.

posted on Dec, 20 2012 @ 09:26 AM
link   
Guns? Knives? You guys are kidding. A professional trained in BJJ or Systema will kill you with his bare hands in 1-3 seconds. In military martial arts any object can be turned into a lethal weapon if it is available. And also if you ever tried to shoot at a range, you know it is not so easy to hit the target. You also need a lot of training. So basically it is not a question of firearms vs knives.

posted on Dec, 21 2012 @ 11:16 AM
link   

In a Top Gear episode I saw once, Jeremy Clarksons car got flooded when he (rather stupidly) drove it into what amounted to a small lake.This happened in the literal middle of no where, hundreds of miles from the nearest pump. In order to solve the drainage issue, one of the technical team on the show produced a bolt action rifle, and promptly shot a hole in the floor of the vehicle to allow the water to escape.

While dramatic, and exciting, the same result could have been achieved with a battery operated drill and a tungsten carbide tipped drill bit.

Also, I hear that you can use an FNP-90 to "zipper" a person, that is, to cut thier body up to make it easier to hide/dispose of. You could probably achieve the same result, more cleanly and safely with a band saw however.

Your central point, however, is valid. A knife can be used to secure something, to cut rope, whittle wood, cut meat, remove screws, open packages... the list is ridiculous. It is fair to say however, that the first and most important purpose of a knife, is as a defensive one.

new topics

top topics

<< 4  5  6    8  9 >>

join