It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Knife's have multiple uses, guns don't

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 16 2012 @ 10:09 PM
link   
Oh dear, it's happened again. I'm watching monty python in my head. Reading these replies, I see Eric Idle and John Cleese yapping about guns..

"Well they're dangerous aren't they."
"No they're not." - incredulous look on john cleese' face.
"Yes they are, they are designed to kill things."
"No they're not." - now changes to an exasperated look.
"Yes they do. Look. Read the news paper."
"No, that's a trick. They are trying to take guns off us." - distrustful look in his eyes.
"But they kill people!"
"No they don't." - Anger rising, face grim and contorted.
"Ok well tell me then, name one good use of a gun that doesn't involve shooting something."
"Well... they can be used to safely train people." - smile starting to emerge.
"Train them to safely do what?"
"Shoot things." - dead pan look.

posted on Dec, 16 2012 @ 10:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by Merriman Weir

Originally posted by Undeadlady
The reason for me making this thread is because i have seen lots of comments on various threads saying things along the lines of " why don't they ban knife's as well then" This is not a valid point, knife's have multiple uses, cutting meat, eating with, skinning things, carving things.
Gun's are made for one thing, to KILL, simple as that, if someone knows of another use for a gun other than ending life, can you please share it with me. So to all the posters who have said, ban knife's then, ban tools etc etc, your point is not valid, Gun's end life nothing more, no other use for it, nada .

Guns have lots of uses: collecting them like Pokemon cards; penis substitutes, and a lucky charm (apparently they stop the government doing bad things - even though the government does bad things on a daily basis).

Your profile states you " Don't like the Second Amendment " We get it , To bad ! " Penis substitutes " I get it, a disgruntled feminist. Guns " apparently they stop the government ( from ) doing bad things"
Your sarcastic remark is sophomoric and historically incorrect .
I assume you don't live in a country that has a Second Amendment ? I take it you are female? Biological fact ! You have smaller brains then men. That's tragic. Just sayin !

You also have no skin in the game. That's important. Nothing to gain or lose. I can only conclude your mission in life is to be irritating.

posted on Dec, 16 2012 @ 11:30 PM
link   
I use my gun as a hammer all the time.

posted on Dec, 16 2012 @ 11:35 PM
link   
reply to post by Undeadlady

Guns can be used to protect your family from danger. The danger can be a human or wild animal. Guns can be used for entertainment such as shooting at a match at a gun club. Teaching the young to properly handle a gun to traditionally supply food on the table has nothing to do with killing, it is about harvesting food. Evidently I will not change your mind because you can't comprehend the value of a passed down antique in the family.

posted on Dec, 16 2012 @ 11:54 PM
link   
reply to post by Undeadlady

Meteorites only have one purpose to slam into cities and kill millions, same with bombs, same with machine guns, nukes etc. Nature does not care for your feelings or my feelings. You can't ban nature. Man was made by evolution and nature he has taken nature and turned it into a weapon that can eliminate all human life, nature does not care for us, we have to outsmart her, but banning does not work, nature will not care....you ban guns and someone will invent high powered laser weaponry and overthrow the governments of the world, progressives talk about progress but real progress such as guns vs. arrows or hydrogen bombs vs. airplane fleets or something else vs now cannot be stopped. Life is not fair, get over it, they will not teach that to kids like this Adam Lanza, they don't tell you that at the voting booth, there are many things people don't learn in school and governments and or police being the only owners of machine guns, bombs, and nukes and allowing them to take them from us will not result in anything we have not seen before, last century shows that when the government gets control over firepower and restricts the citizenry from being armed they then set out to exterminate them, especially when they become financially bankrupt, the leaders believe insane theories about people and set about to eliminate any dissenters.

posted on Dec, 17 2012 @ 12:13 AM
link   

I get it, a disgruntled feminist. ....

I take it you are female? Biological fact ! You have smaller brains then men. That's tragic. Just sayin !

I find it amusing it's almost always the sexist that accuses another of being a 'feminist'. Must be that projection mechanism.

Here is another fact. Einsteins brain was smaller than average in size. Reconcile that with your point.

posted on Dec, 17 2012 @ 12:24 AM
link   
TBH, I would rather get shot than stabbed. At least with a gun, you can account for the inaccuracy of the shooter and maybe not get critically hit. A moving target is difficult to hit. With a knife...your done. It usually comes out of nowhere and the wounds can be very traumatic. You may be able to dodge a shooting if you can get to cover, but with a knife, the attack distance is 21 feet. Yes, an attacker can cover 21 feet in about 1.5-2 seconds. In the majority of cases, that is not enough time to unholster a sidearm, especially if the attack is not anticipated.

posted on Dec, 17 2012 @ 12:28 AM
link   
Also one other thought, if you take a slide of swamp water and put it under the microscope and look, what do you think you will find there? Do you find evil? Or do you find nature? Remember we put the myth of evil upon our ideas about nature that we don't like, the problem of this shooting and guns maybe not one of just evil it maybe a problem we all delude ourselves with and live in denial, that mainly of our own demise as well as the demise of those we love the most and the fear of watching them die. All we can hope for maybe that the kids died fast and made the crossover fast and were not trapped in transit. But nature kills every single second of every single day, if you were a worm you might think of birds as giant tyrannical terrorists mercilessly killing you and your loved ones, what about cellular life and death? Do you assume none of that existence has no awareness? All of us on this thread are billions of years old, we have been around in one form or another for a very long time, assembled into this moment destined to die....we are built to suffer and die, no different than a gun, words can kill, you can ruin a persons life with just words, we all have power of great magnitudes and simply ignore these gifts or powers mostly. We assume we maybe not a part of nature or guns or nukes or anything else, we do not exist in isolation of these objects, people die and are born, cells die and grow, planets die and are born.

posted on Dec, 17 2012 @ 12:29 AM
link   

Why cant you just eat the bullet and admit they are for killing, they are killing machines and the fact that there are 310 million guns in the USA is killing your own people. America is not a barbaric country, why do u need all these guns. there is mabye 3 valid other uses for guns, but they are built to kill things. If you can't see this, well im wasting my time.

Why do we need the military? Why don't you admit it only exists for killing? The same exact reasons for the military being necessary are the same reasons for why guns are necessary. It's called DEFENSE.

posted on Dec, 17 2012 @ 12:52 AM
link   
Governments ALSO have multiple uses...

Mass murder being just ONE of many.

Amateurs like Adam Lanza or James Holmes are NOT the ones to be concerned about.

94 million people were mass murdered in the 20th century by governments.

That reason ALONE is enough to make it obvious to anyone that surrendering our guns is total insanity.

- Governments murdered four times as many civilians as were killed in all the international and domestic wars combined.

- Governments murdered millions more people than were killed by common criminals.

How could governments kill so many people? The governments had the power - and the people, the victims, were unable to resist. The victims were unarmed.

Death by "Gun Control"

"...the tragic fact is that disarming victims leads to great bloodshed. I'm referring to the millions of people who died at the hands of their government over the past century. Most of these mass murders were preceded by a cynical and calculating "gun control" program, leading to eventual disarmament. Genocide followed soon thereafter."

Leave Mass Murder to the Professionals

posted on Dec, 17 2012 @ 01:26 AM
link   
Explosives have multiple uses too such as clearing land for construction, mining, roadways, and also scientific research. Doesn't mean that because some sick people use them for mass killing that we should purpose them.

What amazes me is that for almost two hundred years that Americans have been able to own guns, there were no mass shootings or psychotic killings. I mean really, did we ever really hear about them until maybe the 1960s at the very earliest? Then all of the sudden they start happening, and the solution is to ban guns? Why not find the real cause of the problem? I think is a symptom of a sick society, not a gun problem. Let's ban bad parents. If parents would all own guns and teach their children gun safety and to respect the power of the gun, i bet there would be a lot less shootings. Really, non-gun ownership is a bigger problem to a safe society than gun ownership is. But the anti-gun folk will never understand.

Or ban violent movie scenes that glorify killing in a way that children don't understand instead. (another failure on parents to keep their young b children from seeing violent movies.) But that would be against the 1st amendment, and the liberal anti-gun folk would be upset. With them, it's ok to pick and choose what laws in our bill of rights to follow.

I think the problem is lazy parents. They let their kids do whatever they want, and are surprised when little Johnny takes a gun to school and shoots up his classmates. Solution? Ban guns! Because stepping up and being a good parent is too hard for your typical lazy American parent.

posted on Dec, 17 2012 @ 01:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by Lucid Lunacy

I take it you are female? Biological fact ! You have smaller brains then men. That's tragic. Just sayin !

I find it amusing it's almost always the sexist that accuses another of being a 'feminist'. Must be that projection mechanism.

Here is another fact. Einsteins brain was smaller than average in size. Reconcile that with your point.

A wild white knight appears

posted on Dec, 17 2012 @ 01:43 AM
link   
Also, without my gun, who's going to hug me while I sleep?

Kidding, I hug it.

Oh, so ronery.

edit on 17-12-2012 by Mrgone because: so ronery

edit on 17-12-2012 by Mrgone because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 17 2012 @ 01:49 AM
link   
I'm sorry if I've posted something that has already been posted, but I found the OP's post to be rather moronic and felt no need to read all of the replies. There are different types of guns, defence, target, blank firing pistols used in sporting events, etc. etc. Knives have multiple uses? Maybe someone could explain to me what a Bayonet is used for? Is it a type of bread knife? Perhaps a Type of Paring knife? Steaknife? Could someone please help? Which slot in my kitchen knife block does it go? Why do those little things on the handle mysteriously line up on the end of a rifle?

posted on Dec, 17 2012 @ 01:59 AM
link   
reply to post by paradox

Was this an attempt at making a point? This is a discussion forum. A little more substance would be helpful.

Yes I was defending the female gender. Problem? I see you made no posts towards his attacking of the gender. Why is that? I think we can infer from this you share similar sexism. This may sound crazy but it wasn't white knight syndrome, it was a level-headed person being reasonable.

Anyhoot let's all three of us bring this back on topic.

posted on Dec, 17 2012 @ 02:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by Carreau
1. target shooting, it's an Olympic sport.

2. hunting for food.

3. The stopping of someone else with a gun (this owner never had to fire a shot to stop the killer).

Clackamas man, armed, confronts mall shooter

4. Protection while in the woods against animal predators.

So there are 4 reasons to own a gun that doesn't involve killing a human.

Good post, I was just going to post these things as well, but I was also going to include emergency signalling. You are taught in the service that three rounds in succession are a distress signal for being lost when you have no other way to signal. (So take that OP)

posted on Dec, 17 2012 @ 03:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by dazbog

Originally posted by Merriman Weir

The reason for me making this thread is because i have seen lots of comments on various threads saying things along the lines of " why don't they ban knife's as well then" This is not a valid point, knife's have multiple uses, cutting meat, eating with, skinning things, carving things.
Gun's are made for one thing, to KILL, simple as that, if someone knows of another use for a gun other than ending life, can you please share it with me. So to all the posters who have said, ban knife's then, ban tools etc etc, your point is not valid, Gun's end life nothing more, no other use for it, nada .

Guns have lots of uses: collecting them like Pokemon cards; penis substitutes, and a lucky charm (apparently they stop the government doing bad things - even though the government does bad things on a daily basis).

Your profile states you " Don't like the Second Amendment " We get it , To bad ! " Penis substitutes " I get it, a disgruntled feminist. Guns " apparently they stop the government ( from ) doing bad things"
Your sarcastic remark is sophomoric and historically incorrect .
I assume you don't live in a country that has a Second Amendment ? I take it you are female? Biological fact ! You have smaller brains then men. That's tragic. Just sayin !

You also have no skin in the game. That's important. Nothing to gain or lose. I can only conclude your mission in life is to be irritating.

I gather you're hard of thinking. But I'll explain in words I hope you understand. I'm a 44-year-old man. I think you might need to get your brain weighed.

posted on Dec, 17 2012 @ 03:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by paradox

Originally posted by Lucid Lunacy

He does have a point thought, especially when the poster he referred to was talking out of his arse on a couple of accounts.

posted on Dec, 17 2012 @ 05:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by Carreau
1. target shooting, it's an Olympic sport.

2. hunting for food.

3. The stopping of someone else with a gun (this owner never had to fire a shot to stop the killer).

4. Protection while in the woods against animal predators.

So there are 4 reasons to own a gun that doesn't involve killing a human.

1. practising killing

2. killing for food

3. killing someone else before they kill you?

4. killing predators

is that what that means?

posted on Dec, 17 2012 @ 05:31 AM
link   
reply to post by raskadawg73

1. practicing killing

So when I took archery in Jr. High School I was practising killing people as well? Just curious. Surely it would be based on the logic you just gave.

2. killing for food

Indeed. Killing for food. That poster stated killing humans in his/her point.

3. killing someone else before they kill you?

Killing in defense should not be thought of as the same as murder...

4. killing predators

You're really trying hard to throw the kill word in every chance you get...but you didn't really address that posters point. You twisted it.

My brother and I own guns. We use them for target shooting for fun. Apparently that's not believable by you and many others here. We are either killing people or practising to do so.

Meanwhile archery and martial art weapons (all designed for killing originally) are enjoyed as means of discipline, entertainment, artistic expression, etc. I don't see these being brought up...why are these exceptions? I think if someone is objective they will see weapons are not always used for killing purposes.
edit on 17-12-2012 by Lucid Lunacy because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join