It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Americans, Isn't It Time You Relinquished Your Weapons.

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 14 2012 @ 04:07 PM
link   
I don't know why people continue to have the same arguments over and over everytime there is a shooting that makes the major news outlets. Nobody ever has their mind changed by arguing; at least with the gun co0ntrol argument. My views on gun control have been the same my whole life and no amount of arguing is going to change that. It is a subject that many people are extremely passionate about wether they are pro or con on the subject.

All this does is distract us from the real issues. That being: Why did he do this? Where did this young man go so wrong? Did he fall through the cracks of our ever degrading society?

It never amazes me that there are numerous threads arguing the gun control idea after an incident like this one. It also never amazes me to se the same arguments over and over, page after page. And just where has that gotten us all. More divided to be exact. I know this is a typically American saying but I believe it could apply to manind just the same. United We Stand, Divided We Fall.

Nothing benificial will ever come of these incidents when the focal point is not a solution to the issue. I personally will not argue gun control with anyone anymore. I know where I stand and that is all that matters to me. So instead of arguing this get rid of the guns issue over and over why not try to focus on the sick society that is producing the kind of people who will murder innocent children and not the method they use to do so.
edit on 14/12/12 by usmc0311 because: poor spelling

posted on Dec, 14 2012 @ 04:08 PM
link   
NOTICE how these shootings ALWAYS occur where guns are NOT ALLOWED...

How MANY children could have BEEN SPARED FROM DEATH if the staff at that school (or ALL schools) were ARMED and properly TRAINED to defend against this garbage?

HOW MANY CHILDREN would have been SPARED here from death????? HOW MANY CHILDREN would be STILL ALIVE RIGHT NOW if the STAFF there were ARMED AND ALLOWED TO ENGAGE ON THE SHOOTER AT THE VERY START OF THIS SHOOTING????

posted on Dec, 14 2012 @ 04:09 PM
link   
reply to post by ALOSTSOUL

Unless you plan on destroying every gun in the world while also no longer manufacturing said guns your bans are weak and only take guns out of the hands of good people. It's all or nothing, imo, but we all know that as long as man exists there will be guns. Hell, you can make a gun now via a 3d printer that is good for at least 6 shots before it breaks. So ban all you want but it still won't matter because criminals and sick people can and will get their hands on them, like the US Gov't selling weapons to Mexican gang members.

Sure, lets let the Gov't take our guns away because we can sooo trust them to protect us
. Too bad a teacher at that CT school wasn't carrying a gun of their own because maybe things could have turned out different. In this latest US mass shooting tragedy it seems the gun man killed his mom who was a teacher at the school because he was mad at her, and then he killed her students and moved on.

edit on 14-12-2012 by Swills because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 14 2012 @ 04:10 PM
link   
reply to post by beezzer

Hmm but I wonder if a gun is a really a value in a fully developed 21st century society?

I'm not trying to insist that Americans give up their weapons, I'm simply asking whether its time to start thinking about it.

ALS

posted on Dec, 14 2012 @ 04:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by ALOSTSOUL
Now I know I'm not American and I know it's not my place to say what you should do but there has been 60 mass school shootings since the 1999 columbine shooting.

"Since the 1999 Columbine tragedy there have been sixty school shootings, double the rate seen in the previous decade. These school shootings have resulted in 181 deaths," said psychiatrist Dr Warren Steiner, of McGill University, Montreal.

www.telegraph.co.uk...

And now with the shooting at sandy hook the statistics rises to 61 shootings and (approx) 210 deaths 20 of which are young children.

Now I know your worried and I know its in the constitution to "bear arms" but surely enough is enough. We here in britain have done just fine with tight gun control. In fact I would go as far to say that it's one of the best things that's happened to Britain since the NHS.

How many more people must die because you are to proud to give up your pistols?

Remember if you relinquish your weapons so will the police (or most of).

Please America start thinking about gun control!

ALS
edit on 14-12-2012 by ALOSTSOUL because: (no reason given)

hopefully you are being sarcastic!!

because sub 200 deaths is PITIFULLY SMALL in the grand scheme of how many lives die per month, let alone per year

posted on Dec, 14 2012 @ 04:12 PM
link   
reply to post by lestweforget

Watching what movies champ, dont jump in and flame me for my views. You are right about Port Arthur, you can add Hoddle street and there are many others. You're Pro gun no doubt.
My Views have nothing to do with any movies.I stand by what I have said, if everyone was armed you have more chances for innocents being killed than if not.
I have had more blues than you have hot dinners, won more than I have lost. Add guns to that scenario and I may not be here now, I could be dead or in jail. I will take my chances with my fists against a knife but have no hope against a gun.
You my friend are the uninformed one.

posted on Dec, 14 2012 @ 04:12 PM
link   

I knew this would be a highly difficult question to defend. I guess it's because I have grown up in a country that (for my life) has never had guns.

ALS

ALS,
I was just wondering do people hunt in your country?

I feel for the most part that those that not only own guns but also hunt are the one you have to worry about the least.
I have been around guns all my life and have never considered shooting another person. Yet if my family or I am threatened I will do what needs to be done.
The problem we have in America is there is not enough education. I do believe that if you are going to own a gun you should show that you have the mentality to do so.
When I was in high school you could form a small arsenal from all of the guns in the school parking lot during deer season.
Everyone I knew, including teachers, carried pocket knives and we never had an incidence.
We grew up around guns and knives. We respect them. We know how they work, what they can do and what they were made for.
Nowadays you have many youths that do not know anything about them, they do not respect them as they should. Mom and Dad will get one for protection and keep it locked away. This causes curiosity on the child's part. Sadly that curiosity is all to deadly at times.
If you are going to own a gun you should make sure that your children understand that it is not a toy, that it is a tool and like almost any tool it can be used for good or evil. It depends on who is using it.
Children need to be comfortable around guns, they do not need to view them as something mysterious.
I have three boys. I also have rifles, shotguns and a pistol or two that stay loaded.
Sometimes we go out and shoot skits, cans and other targets. We also hunt.
No the answer is not gun control. It's EDUCATION.
Quad

posted on Dec, 14 2012 @ 04:13 PM
link   

reply to post by MrWendal

Many people are calling for cigs to be banned.

Really? Where is the countless threads on this subject? Where are the lobbyist calling for the cigarette ban?

And the reason we blame the gun (as well as the person) it because the sole purpose of a gun is to kill. It belongs on hunting grounds and battlefields NOT on the streets.

ALS

Are you under some impression that people just walk around with guns everywhere? That is not the case at all. I own guns, I don't walk around with them. In fact, the only time my firearm is out of the house, is when I am going to the shooting range for target practice.

The fact is, if someone wants to kill another person, they will find a way to do so. Gun or not. There are not many guns floating around the UK, yet they do have a huge problem with people being stabbed don't they? There is no shortage of articles on the interwebs discussing how high the statistics are on stabbings in the UK. So how well did banning guns work for them? Fact is, it didnt help at all. Criminals just now use a different weapon.

posted on Dec, 14 2012 @ 04:14 PM
link   
Its always a BRIT who feels the NEED to stick their noses in Americas business when it comes to firearms. They have you Brits SO DAMNED BRAINWASHED over there thats its CRAZY. No its actually SAD!!!!!!! Maybe a touch of BITTER JEALOUSY as well perhaps being that America has RIGHTS...

I bet there are more deaths resulting from BRITS GETTING ALCOHOL POISONING over there than there are gun deaths in America. MAYBE WE SHOULD BAN ALCOHOL, EH BRITS??!!!!

Guns, knives, baseball bats, cars, hammers, broken beer bottles, an ax, things that go BOOM... doesnt matter what the legal status of ANY of them are when you have a world that contains DEGENERATE humans with a sick desire to kill fellow humans. These sick people who want to KILL are going to KILL no matter what tool is available.

Getting rid of guns, or knives will just mean you will get killed via baseball bat, car, or beer bottle or ax or something that goes BOOM. When it comes to guns and other tools that can kill, PERSONALLY, I WOULD RATHER BE SHOT via a GUN than SLASHED to death via a knife. Or HACKED to death with an ax. Or SLICED up via broken beer bottle. Or ran over and DRAGGED via car. Or SMASHED about the skull via hammer. Or BROKEN BONES everywhere via baseball bat, or metal SHRAPNEL all throughout a persons body from things that go BOOM.

A gunshot death sounds like a TON LESS SUFFERING than those other tools that one can choose to kill with. Ponder that one over gun-control lovers... A KILLER is GONNA KILL no matter what is legal or illegal.

WISE UP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
edit on 14-12-2012 by oper8zhin because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 14 2012 @ 04:16 PM
link   
reply to post by BABYBULL24

Personally I always believed that "the right to bear arms" was written in the hast of war and was not meant to be implemented in times of peace.

ALS

posted on Dec, 14 2012 @ 04:18 PM
link   

reply to post by beezzer

Hmm but I wonder if a gun is a really a value in a fully developed 21st century society?

By who's standards?

I'm not trying to insist that Americans give up their weapons, I'm simply asking whether its time to start thinking about it.

ALS

When society (American) doesn't feel the need to protect themselves from themselves, when Americans no longer feel the need to hunt for food or trophy, when Americans no longer have to protect their loved ones from harm, then guns will become obsolete.

Until then?

Lock n load.

posted on Dec, 14 2012 @ 04:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by oper8zhin
Its always a BRIT who feels the NEED to stick their noses in Americas business when it comes to firearms. They have you Brits SO DAMNED BRAINWASHED over there thats its CRAZY. No its actually SAD!!!!!!!

I bet there are more deaths resulting from BRITS GETTING ALCOHOL POISONING over there than there are gun deaths in America. MAYBE WE SHOULD BAN ALCOHOL, EH BRITS??!!!!

Please don't assume all the British feel this way.

We don't.

And they're working on the alcohol thing already over here.

posted on Dec, 14 2012 @ 04:19 PM
link   
reply to post by SuperTripps

All of human life is sacred whether it be 1 or 1 million!

Do you know how far reach the consequences of the tragic death of 200 hundred people are?

ALS

posted on Dec, 14 2012 @ 04:21 PM
link   
reply to post by Quadrivium

Yes people hunt and are allowed guns to do so. But it is strictly regulated.

ALS

posted on Dec, 14 2012 @ 04:21 PM
link   
The problem isn't all the guns out there. The problem is all the lunatics out there.

posted on Dec, 14 2012 @ 04:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by khimbar

Its always a BRIT who feels the NEED to stick their noses in Americas business when it comes to firearms. They have you Brits SO DAMNED BRAINWASHED over there thats its CRAZY. No its actually SAD!!!!!!!

We don't.

I didnt say "all Brits" I said that its "always a brit" who has to stick their noses in American affairs when it comes to firearms. A topic that Brits know nothing about and should MIND THEIR OWN BUSINESS because they have ENOUGH PROBLEMS OVER THERE TO WORRY ABOUT...

posted on Dec, 14 2012 @ 04:24 PM
link   
Do you restrict the rights of 300+ million people to prevent what, a few thousand murders? I dont agree with such notions. Freedoms are generally more important than chasing crime statistics at all costs. Maybe the gun regulation should be somehow tougher, but not much.

posted on Dec, 14 2012 @ 04:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by khimbar

We don't.

I didnt say "all Brits" I said that its "always a brit" who has to stick their noses in American affairs when it comes to firearms. A topic that Brits know nothing about and should MIND THEIR OWN BUSINESS because they have ENOUGH PROBLEMS OVER THERE TO WORRY ABOUT...

I didn't say you said 'all Brits'.

posted on Dec, 14 2012 @ 04:27 PM
link   
reply to post by beezzer

Beeezer, when you explain it that way it does make sense. If guns were used just for protection against a nutjob who is going to harm your family, I say fair enough. For Hunting, with a licence in areas where game exists I say fair enough, so long as it is food for your family or for commercial sale.
But to walk around the street or in shopping malls with the off chance of someone of a criminal nature attacking you, I find it hard to understand.
I think it's more the sad state of the US as a country than anything else that you feel the need to carry a weapon.
We may be lucky over here, I dont know. But I personally am glad I dont feel the need to be armed while walking the streets.

posted on Dec, 14 2012 @ 04:27 PM
link   

edit on 14-12-2012 by PassiveObserver because: I get pissed off.

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join