It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why hypenated last names are silly to me

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 13 2012 @ 01:24 PM
link   

posted on Dec, 13 2012 @ 01:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by MaMaa
wow, what a loser! Not that I would hyphenate my name, but I would certainly change it back to my maiden name.

Whichever. The way I look at it is that just by the act of making sure you irritate this guy in some way, shape, or form and then you pretty much know you are doing the right thing.

posted on Dec, 13 2012 @ 01:32 PM
link   

posted on Dec, 13 2012 @ 02:24 PM
link   
reply to post by luciddream

That is your preference, but to some people, their names mean quite a bit.

posted on Dec, 13 2012 @ 02:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by milominderbinder

wow, what a loser! Not that I would hyphenate my name, but I would certainly change it back to my maiden name.

Whichever. The way I look at it is that just by the act of making sure you irritate this guy in some way, shape, or form and then you pretty much know you are doing the right thing.

LOL This guy is a nutjob, his opinion is meaningless to me. I told hubby I was going to make up my own last name and then change it! LOL He just said "whatever floats your boat".

posted on Dec, 13 2012 @ 02:25 PM
link   
I didn't want to change my name. My husband asked me too.

I love my maiden name, it is a very unique and defining last name. But I also don't like hyphenations.

So I changed my middle name to my maiden name.

posted on Dec, 13 2012 @ 02:32 PM
link   

LOL This guy is a nutjob, his opinion is meaningless to me. I told hubby I was going to make up my own last name and then change it! LOL He just said "whatever floats your boat".

LOL.

I know...the guy has all kinds of little videos posted on YouTube in which he decries the evils of public schools and math and all manner of nuttery.

I just try to do whatever that guy would disapprove of. That's my framework for life.

posted on Dec, 13 2012 @ 06:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by nixie_nox
reply to post by luciddream

That is your preference, but to some people, their names mean quite a bit.

Exactly and I'm sure men would have a stronger opinion of it too if they were expected to change their name when they got married. I didn't really like my maiden name so it was easier to change my last name, that and to avoid trouble with my ultra conservative religious parents. I still don't like the idea that I felt pushed into changing my name. I mean seriously, why the hell should I have to, kwim?

That said, I figure eventually I'm going to make up my own last name and change it. It's apparently just a couple hundred dollars to change it, but a whole lot of hassle to switch everything else over. Eventually I'll get motivated enough to do it. LOL

posted on Dec, 13 2012 @ 06:40 PM
link   

LOL.

I know...the guy has all kinds of little videos posted on YouTube in which he decries the evils of public schools and math and all manner of nuttery.

I just try to do whatever that guy would disapprove of. That's my framework for life.

LOL Understandable! I wouldn't want anything I do be something this nutjob approves of.

posted on Dec, 13 2012 @ 07:56 PM
link   
You are being ethnocentric. There are cultures where a hyphenated last name is expected, polite, and the normal thing to do. To dismiss this as "silly' shows arrogance and a narrow mind.

posted on Dec, 13 2012 @ 09:44 PM
link   
As far as I'm concerned your last name shows your identity, take away or force a name change in a way takes away a piece of your identity. I held my identity as one name for 20 ish years and then I'm told I have to change because it's just how I'm supposed to do it. No one tells that to a man, no one expects him to change any part of his identity, but they do it to women. Names are a part of how we identify ourselves and not all women want to give up that part of themselves. Out of respect for the male half who thinks we should take their name because we are marrying them, most women will either make the change or make a compromise of hyphenating the name.

posted on Dec, 14 2012 @ 10:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by Urantia1111
Its pretentious bs. In my job I have to fill in names on forms for people. I absolutely refuse to include a hyphen or any other punctuation. If they have two last names, I write the first of those as a middle name. When I call them from the waiting room, I'll only use the second of the last names listed.

Furthermore, if you have a first name that is completely made up, you are now mr/ms. I also will not call you "Heaven" or "Gorgeous", even if your mommy thought it would be really awesome to name you that. I guess I'm a bit of a name snob lol.

Taking it out on the kid is, as always, very effective. And marring a person's last name based upon your belief system? Fantastic. May claim remuneration haunt you, on account of using the wrong flipping name. Hopefully, someone here will figure out who you are and contact the office in which you work. Just proves what I've always believed: health care workers are some of the most insensitive people around.

posted on Dec, 14 2012 @ 10:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by schuyler
You are being ethnocentric. There are cultures where a hyphenated last name is expected, polite, and the normal thing to do. To dismiss this as "silly' shows arrogance and a narrow mind.

What cultures? I want to meet someone from 10 generations of hyphenators and see how long it takes them to recite their 512 last names.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join