It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

IL Concealed Carry Ban Struck Down

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 13 2012 @ 10:17 AM
link   
Illinois successfully defeated the 2nd Amendment and citizens rights to own firearms by mandating everyone must get a Firearm ID.

Anybody care to guess how many firearms their State PD has collected so far? Everytime somebody dies....seize the guns so little Johnny can't inherit daddy's family heirloon collections. Little Johnny can't get a State Firearm ID....and the family heirlooms go to....The State.

NOBODY'S stood up against Illinois's illegal Firearm ID. It's been doing alot of evil against the sheeple.

posted on Dec, 13 2012 @ 02:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by Circumstance
This ruling will have little impact. All Illinois will have to do is go the way California did. Try getting a CC permit in California; ain't gonna happen. Don't think for a minute you will be getting the right to carry in Illinois.

I'll be the first to admit that California does have stricter requirements for CC than some other states, but to say it "ain't gonna happen" is a stretch. According to the GAO as of June 2012 there are 35,000 CCW permit holders in California - I'm one of them. The entire process took less than 45 days start to finish and the only formal reason I needed to provide on the application was a simple one liner - For the protection of myself and my family.

This is good news for residents of Illinois, especially those in Chicagoland that are seeing crime rates rise. We all deserve to be able to protect ourselves and our loved ones from criminals that won't be paying any attention to the legality of carry anyway. If more citizens are packing, even if it makes just one bad guy think twice before attacking someone else, it's worth it.

posted on Dec, 13 2012 @ 02:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by Tripnman
I'll be the first to admit that California does have stricter requirements for CC than some other states, but to say it "ain't gonna happen" is a stretch. According to the GAO as of June 2012 there are 35,000 CCW permit holders in California - I'm one of them. The entire process took less than 45 days start to finish and the only formal reason I needed to provide on the application was a simple one liner - For the protection of myself and my family.

I am glad you were able to get one. I think everyone who can should.

Here in Missouri we have 155K active permits. About 5 times that of California for much smaller population. Something is keeping people in CA from getting them – that could simply be desire, who knows.

Took me a total of 8 days (7 waiting for the fingerprint results) $75.00 for the class (1 day) and $38.00 in fees for the fingerprints and $3.00 for a new ID. I took the class on Sunday, turned in the paperwork got my prints on Monday and the next Monday I got the permit.

How much did it cost you in CA? I am genuinely curious - not being snarky.

Why did it take 45 days? The fingerprint results in the electronic era are virtually instantaneously sent/received

ETA: Based on the GAO reports and 2010 census data...

35,000 out of 37,253,956 general population is 1 permit per every 1100 (rounded) people.

155,000 out of 5,988,927 general population is 1 permit for every 38 (rounded) people.

Good odds for the criminals in CA - honestly I knew there were a lot of CCW carriers here but one of every 38 people I see is likely armed. I love this place.

edit on 13/12/2012 by Golf66 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 13 2012 @ 03:16 PM
link   
reply to post by Golf66

Wow - you do have it much easier in Missouri than we do here. Part of the number discrepancy may be that some California counties only recently changed from "no issue" or "may issue" to "shall issue". The other is definitely the costs associated. Here's the breakdown for my county:

$20 to the County Sheriff for initial application processing
$175 to the instructor for the county mandated 16 hours of training and weapon qualifications
$122 for DOJ live scan (finger printing)
$80 to the County Sheriff for final issuance of permit
$397 total

Expensive, yes, but what dollar value would you assign to the security of your family? Mine is a much larger number and I'm sure yours is too.

Renewals happen every two years and run another $80 to the county plus the cost of the 4-hour refresher course (also required).

As for the timeline, when I first applied my county had just changed from "no issue" to "shall issue" and were positively overwhelmed with applications. Once I was able to secure that first application appointment, it was 10 days until I received county clearance. The day that arrived in the mail I went to get printed and then had to wait another 30 for the Federal background check to come back from DOJ. I did the requisite training during that time period and set up the final appointment for the week after DOJ approval arrived. The card came in the mail five days after turning in all the final paperwork. Those were a hard five days - I knew I was technically licensed but you can't legally carry without the card and had to leave my favorite tool locked up at home each day.

posted on Dec, 13 2012 @ 03:35 PM
link   
I live in one of the strictest states for gun control, even stricter then Illinois.

I have never seen a gun out in the open unless it is on a police officer, or a shoot out. It is so taboo that gun collectors only admit their hobby to close friends.

You can only get a conceal carry with the permission of the state, and I have never met anyone it was granted too. Even women with ex husbands threatening to kill them, have been turned down.

A court recently upheld the 2nd amendment, and said this was a violation. But of course the gun control lobbyists have appealed it. SIGH

Imagine the culture shock we went through when we moved to Arizona, LOL.

posted on Dec, 13 2012 @ 06:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by nixie_nox
I live in one of the strictest states for gun control, even stricter then Illinois.

Curious which State...

When I lived in Maryland - I was active duty Army, Special Forces Officer. I couldn't get one there. I have a TS clearance and more firearms experience than any law enforcement officer in the State I'd imagine. They were a "may issue" State. I don't know if that has changed.

My justification was that having deployed to the sandbox many times my face and name are known to many terrorist organizations many of whose members I have personally interrogated under rather unpleasant terms actually.

Response - need not justified. Really? Good enough to carry a weapon for America but not good enough to carry one in America. Classic left coast.

Ironically in the same State every elected representative, Judge, DA, etc. can carry a concealed weapon with zero training or checks. Amazing - I was so glad to leave that place. Neat when the people who write the laws leave themselves a loop hole. Some animals are more equal than others…

posted on Dec, 13 2012 @ 07:37 PM
link   
reply to post by Tripnman

I don't conceal carry. I have considered getting my CFL, but have yet to actualize it.

But i always have a loaded, "hot" weapon in my truck (always within arms length). In my house i have several guns (shotguns, rifles, pistols, etc, etc), all loaded. When I take a shotgun out to hunt, i have to eject the buck shot and put it aside in favor of the game loads. But at home, they are always loaded with buck shot.

posted on Dec, 13 2012 @ 11:57 PM
link   
reply to post by Golf66

I'd get whacked with a ban hammer faster than you can cycle your battle rifle if I typed here the words that first came to mind when I read that G66. Total nonsense - considering your background I'm more likely to trust you with a concealed weapon than some untrained elected in a judge's robe. Glad you were able to exfil to a more reasonable area.

What you just described is the double standard that this new ruling is trying to break in Illinois. It's now back in the hands of the lower courts and it will be up to them to craft new laws that meet the 7th Circuit's requirements. I hope the ruling sticks, without being encumbered by severely limiting permitting requirements, for the safety of the law-abiding citizens of that state.

posted on Dec, 15 2012 @ 12:48 AM
link   
Christmas Comes Early for Illinois Concealed Carry Advocates

Illinois is the only state that does not allow concealed carry. That will all change 180 days from now. On Tuesday, December 12, 2012 a federal court ruled against a ban on carrying firearms for self-defense outside the home or business in a 2-1 decision. (view ruling below) They declared the right to self-defense is “broader than the right to have a gun in one’s home.”

Just adding a little info - good news for Illinois.

peace
edit on 15-12-2012 by silo13 because: title fix

posted on Dec, 15 2012 @ 09:32 PM
link   
Please read the following petition:

Link to petition

If you agree with it, please sign and share it, as it needs 150 signatures to become publicly searchable.

This is the text of the petition:

"Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety."

It is the acts of humans, the few and deranged, that cause these tragic events to occur. While it may be politically and emotionally expedient to blame guns for violence, we must recognize and acknowledge that guns are not the cause, merely the symptom. It becomes of the utmost importance that we protect the Second Amendment of the US Constitution from those who fall victim to cognitive dissonance on this subject.

Many American rights and privileges have been subverted or excised, e.g. the 1st, 4th, 5th, 6th, 7th, 8th, 9th, 10th, 11th, 12th, & the 14th Amendments, & Sections 8, 9, & 10, Article One of the constitution.

We can ill afford to give up the Second Amendment.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join