It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

World’s most dangerous religion: Atheists face worldwide persecution

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 11 2012 @ 12:12 AM
link   
rt.com...

So if you thought as a Muslim, Jew or Christian and you were persecuted by atheists, think again.
This report out might change your view of the most dangerous belief system in the world.

posted on Dec, 11 2012 @ 12:31 AM
link   
I've never referred to myself as an atheist for a few reasons. Some people say it's been co opted and tainted by feminism, which I don't know for sure. Personally I associate atheism will memes such as "God is as credible as the flying spaghetti monster" or "you believe in fairy tales". A lot of those atheist are more irritating than religious followers.

If anything I refer to myself as agnostic. I don't know whether or not a God exist, but I don't think it's an irrational notion at all either. Intelligent design seems like a part of the natural progression of the universe; we're examples of that. So who's to say we're not the byproduct of an intelligent designer.
edit on 11-12-2012 by Raelsatu because: (no reason given)

+4 more 
posted on Dec, 11 2012 @ 12:43 AM
link   
reply to post by winterkill

I wonder how Solipsists are treated?

It's pretty sad the level of discrimination people will get up to just because you don't lick the ground and spin around in circles to the tune of whatever invisible cartoon character they think holds the car keys of the universe.

posted on Dec, 11 2012 @ 12:46 AM
link   
Now i wonder why hopelessness and despair would be the world's most dangerous religion? With the name of Jesus we can bring hope, give life back to those seeking to kill themselves and give them the strength to carry on, but you folks? You steal hope and leave people with nothing but despair, i know because i used to be one of you.
edit on 11-12-2012 by lonewolf19792000 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 11 2012 @ 12:49 AM
link   
reply to post by lonewolf19792000

You can give someone false hope by convincing them Santa Clause is real too, but do the ends justify the means?

posted on Dec, 11 2012 @ 12:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by lonewolf19792000
Now i wonder why hopelessness and despair would be the world's most dangerous religion? With the name of Jesus we can bring hope, give life back to those seeking to kill themselves and give them the strength to carry on, but you folks? You steal hope and leave people with nothing but despair, i know because i used to be one of you.

I don't think there's anything more hopeless than a species predestined to Christianity's plot. Infinite/eternal torture is the very essence of despair. The only counter to this despair is eternal bliss, for a handful of people. What's even more hopeless -- other than the fact that your God in his omniscience has foreknowledge of every born believer or non-believer -- is that the majority will burn forever, for so much as simply having a differing belief system based on their own psychological & chemical makeup. If that's not despair, I don't know what is.

Ultimately, despair is not exclusive to any one thing. It's a potent variable that can take root under any circumstances; but it's often us who let it.
edit on 11-12-2012 by Raelsatu because: (no reason given)

+3 more 
posted on Dec, 11 2012 @ 01:00 AM
link   
reply to post by lonewolf19792000

Hopelessness and despair?
Really?

That sounds more like religion than anything.
Religion = Don't, Don't, Don't, Don't, Don't or ... we'll cut off your hands, cut off your head, or you'll burn in eternal agonizing torture forever and ever and ever.

Atheism, for many is a RELEASE.
Life is infinitely MORE PRECIOUS and delicious when you know that THIS is all there is and what time you have is all you got. You can appreciate life and live to the fullest in recognition that you're not getting any more special treatment than any other life on the planet; not cockroaches, birds of paradise, or any other life on this planet high or low.
You become connected to all life since, in essence you're no different than them, except you can think about it.

It makes life all the more beautiful.

Religion?
Religion is a recipe for suicide, and all sorts of bad behavior. If there's any chance of anything after death, then suicide don't seem so bad, because it would then equate to at least something different as opposed to total oblivion. I makes it okay to kill people because the invisible guy in the sky will sorts things and if I do this ritual or make these statements I'll be forgiven for any naughty stuff I've done.
Right.

posted on Dec, 11 2012 @ 01:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by lonewolf19792000
edit on 11-12-2012 by lonewolf19792000 because: (no reason given)

Two Terry Pratchett quotes to illustrate the rationale behind what you say...

"When men see nothing but bottomless infinity over their heads they have always had a driving and desperate urge to find someone to put in the way."

"You build little worlds, little stories, little shells around your minds, and that keeps infinity at bay and allows you to wake up in the morning without screaming!”

The hope you talk of is just a dream that you mean something more than you really do.
You don't.
But what you are is still pretty amazing.

edit on 11-12-2012 by delusion because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 11 2012 @ 01:10 AM
link   
reply to post by SilentKoala

Hey! Watch your mouth!
I believe in Santa Claus. www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Dec, 11 2012 @ 01:13 AM
link   
I find most atheists are even more hypocritically ignorant and arrogant than the deluded and faithful groups they so vehemently oppose.

There are good and bad, smart and dumb, etc. etc. in both groups.
edit on 11-12-2012 by inivux because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 11 2012 @ 01:14 AM
link   
A cursory look at science tells us that every cell of our bodies, and everything we've ever seen, felt or touched, is made of the stuff of stars. We all came shooting out the other side of a black hole, or possibly first opened our eyes a billion, billion years after first being created in a big bang of unimaginable energy.

Why do you need a god? Everything is light energy and solids are only vibrating slightly slower.

YOU are light energy experiencing an unimaginable NOW. Enjoy it and put away your silly book filled with hate, violence and rules.

posted on Dec, 11 2012 @ 01:18 AM
link   
reply to post by Druscilla

I wonder how Solipsists are treated?

That really made me chuckle

I imagine they would get the most hate, once said hater is informed of what solipsism is.

*refrains from paradoxical solipsist jokes*

Really though many spiritual philosophies certainly hint at solipsism in their implication. One Godhead, world is Maya, etc.

Anyhoot

As for OP. It makes sense atheism would be more "hated" purely due to being outnumbered by the religious.

posted on Dec, 11 2012 @ 01:18 AM
link   
reply to post by signalfire

Why do you need a god? Everything is light energy and solids are only vibrating slightly slower.
We need a God to explain the existence of light energy.

+8 more 
posted on Dec, 11 2012 @ 01:20 AM
link   
True atheists are not a religion. I don't attend an atheist church. I don't spread the non-word and I certainly don't bow down to a non-entity.

It's not a religion, just a fact.

Peace

posted on Dec, 11 2012 @ 01:27 AM
link   

I think you will find Politics is killing more people than anything else these days.. Should we end democracy also because its only someones fantasy we are all participating in?

posted on Dec, 11 2012 @ 01:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by jude11
True atheists are not a religion. I don't attend an atheist church. I don't spread the non-word and I certainly don't bow down to a non-entity.

Peace

A fact of what?

posted on Dec, 11 2012 @ 01:34 AM
link   
reply to post by jude11

I am very comfortable saying religions are fictitious. I am not comfortable saying 'God' does not exist as fact.

Believing God's name is Yahweh and he wants you to cut the skin of your baby boys and has a preference what days you work, is one thing. The belief that there is an omnipresent and omniscient force connected to reality is another thing entirely. I am not sure how logical it is to claim proof of its existence or nonexistence considering the uncertainty of the state(s) of the Universe prior to, or after Big Bang physical universe plays out. We can with much certainty pick apart bibles and when things are shown to be false have the rest of its veracity unravel.

edit on 11-12-2012 by Lucid Lunacy because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 11 2012 @ 01:41 AM
link   
reply to post by DarknStormy

Democracy is a joke.

I hope for technological singularity to such extent that Artificial Intelligences are so beyond advanced in Intelligence that all control is given over to AIs, not necessarily by force, but, by default, more likely by degrees in a silent revolution of raw Intelligence over time such that one day we find ourselves ruled over entirely by machines.

We'll then be minded over, managed, sorted, and cared for/after like the horrid little children we so often prove ourselves to be.

Yay to machines.

posted on Dec, 11 2012 @ 01:43 AM
link   
This is the 3rd thread in less than 3 days that has attempted to bait atheists, either through thread titles or posts from smug religious followers.

It's just begging for mod scrutiny at this point.

posted on Dec, 11 2012 @ 01:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by DarknStormy

I think you will find Politics is killing more people than anything else these days.. Should we end democracy also because its only someones fantasy we are all participating in?

Yes, actually. Similar to religion, government is a socially-constructed system of rules and norms that, when challenged, will be met with authoritarian force. I would even be so bold as to suggest that for many people, whether they know it or not, the state is their religion.

They just don't call it that.

<<   2  3  4 >>

join