It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

UK Woman Sentenced to Year in Prison for Having al-Qaeda Magazine

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 10 2012 @ 03:22 AM
link   
reply to post by stumason

dear stumason,

Thanks a lot for the lesson, I had no idea. It sounds like things went reasonably well for her, and for the justice system.

By the way, and off-topic, who was St. Umason? Tough to figure that one out.

With respect,
Charles1952

posted on Dec, 10 2012 @ 03:43 AM
link   
reply to post by charles1952

Hehe, I assume you were cracking wise about St Umason?

In reality, I just suffer from unimaginative username syndrome.....

posted on Dec, 10 2012 @ 03:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by MagicWand67
reply to post by gambon

We are not talking about the usa , we talking the UK , in the uk the coookbook is banned.

Well I'm glad I don't live in the UK.

I don't think people should be put in prison just for reading a magazine.

Well sorry to tell you this but it looks like you already do or did...
Candide (1759) Voltaire Novel Seized by US Customs in 1930 for obscenity.[20]

The Canterbury Tales (late 14th century) Geoffrey Chaucer Story Collection Banned from the U.S. mail under the Federal Anti-Obscenity Act (Comstock Law) of 1873, which banned the sending or receiving of works containing "obscene," "filthy," or "inappropriate" material.[20]

Catch-22 (1961) Joseph Heller Novel Banned in several states: in 1972, it was banned in Strongsville, Ohio (overturned in 1976); in 1974, it was banned in Dallas, Texas, and in 1979 it was banned in Snoqualmie, Washington.[21][

he Decameron (1350–1353) Giovanni Boccaccio Allegory Banned from the U.S. mail under the Federal Anti-Obscenity Act (Comstock Law) of 1873, which banned the sending or receiving of works containing "obscene," "filthy," or "inappropriate" material.[20]

Fanny Hill or Memoirs of a Woman of Pleasure (1748) John Cleland Novel Banned in the U.S.A. in 1821 for obscenity, then again in 1963

The Grapes of Wrath (1939) John Steinbeck Novel Was temporarily banned in many places in the US. In the region of California in which it was partially set, it was banned for its alleged unflattering portrayal of area residents.[42]

Howl (1955) Allen Ginsberg Poem Copies of the first edition seized by San Francisco Customs for obscenity in March 1957; after trial, obscenity charges were dismissed.[49]

Naked Lunch (1959) William S. Burroughs Novel Banned by Boston courts in 1962 for obscenity, but that decision was reversed in 1966 by the Massachusetts Supreme Judicial Court.[75]

AND so many more!!!1

posted on Dec, 10 2012 @ 03:51 AM
link   
reply to post by gambon

Dear gambon,

Banned means one thing, going to jail means another. Who went to jail in the US for reading any of the books you mentioned?

posted on Dec, 10 2012 @ 03:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by AQuestion
reply to post by gambon

Dear gambon,

Banned means one thing, going to jail means another. Who went to jail in the US for reading any of the books you mentioned?

Well maybe you could do a bit of research also..I found a few had.
edit on 10-12-2012 by gambon because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 10 2012 @ 03:53 AM
link   
I would like to present this in honour of her incarceration.

Cheers to the bizzies aye?

posted on Dec, 10 2012 @ 03:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by gambon

reply to post by gambon

Dear gambon,

Well maybe you could do a bit of research also..I found a few had.
edit on 10-12-2012 by gambon because: (no reason given)

Dear gambon,

May we have specifics rather than assertions?

posted on Dec, 10 2012 @ 03:54 AM
link   
reply to post by stumason

Dear stumason,

Hehe, I assume you were cracking wise about St Umason?

In reality, I just suffer from unimaginative username syndrome.....
You assume correctly. I think I share the syndrome with you.

But just so I don't get ticketed for being too off-topic, is there a general agreement in England about anti-terrorism laws? Do the people think that a reasonable mid-point has been reached between the demands of freedom and security?

And if you were to ask me the same question, my best guess is that the US has accepted the claims for tighter security, but that tolerance is starting to slip. As you probably know from reading here, NSA monitoring and TSA airport searches have started to irritate people seriously.

With respect,
Charles1952

posted on Dec, 10 2012 @ 03:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by HIWATT
I would like to present this in honour of her incarceration.

Cheers to the bizzies aye?

Dear HIWATT,

I had a copy and never went to jail for it.

posted on Dec, 10 2012 @ 03:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by MagicWand67
reply to post by gambon

I don't think people should be put in prison just for reading a magazine.

Joe McCarthy and his followers would probably disagree with you.

That may sound historical but has America's commu-phobia ever gone away?

posted on Dec, 10 2012 @ 04:00 AM
link   
reply to post by AQuestion

Nor should you have, or anyone else for that matter.

posted on Dec, 10 2012 @ 04:08 AM
link   
Forbidden knowledge.

We should be able to learn about what these people to get up to and how they think if we so choose to. it doesn't mean were all going to go out and bomb someone. I wouldn't of thought about buying it personally but If I gained an interest in that sort of thing then I would read it anyway and not let the threat of a prison sentence deny my quest for knowledge without ignorance.

posted on Dec, 10 2012 @ 04:35 AM
link   
Who were those 2 men arrested? Were they alquaeda or just inspired by radical literature but acting independent? And why would Alquaeda put out that magazine in English? And an English that is worthy of publication notheless. It does not make sense, Inspire is probably used to track unstable people in countries like America the UK and Europe whom might or might not have roots to the Arabian world. Try to get a copy of it and you are on the watchlist.

Better than them falling in the hands of radicals and actually getting geared towards carrying out some plot.
edit on 10-12-2012 by Merinda because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 10 2012 @ 04:54 AM
link   
reply to post by charles1952

Personally speaking, I think we struck a good balance prior to the advent of Islamic terrorism and the new laws brought in then. We had dealt with the IRA and friends for 30 years prior with the laws on the books.

Although, even now, despite places like infowars making out we're a Police state, it isn't that bad. You do really need to be doing something terroristy to get yourself in trouble with the law, so it really isn't anything to be concerned about unless you do plan on blowing someone up.

posted on Dec, 10 2012 @ 05:51 AM
link   
Hello all, i dont believe the Anarchist cookbook to be illegal here in the UK?

Infact i just ordered it.

posted on Dec, 10 2012 @ 05:57 AM
link   
reply to post by Merinda

And why would Alquaeda put out that magazine in English? And an English that is worthy of publication notheless. It does not make sense, Inspire is probably used to track unstable people in countries like America the UK and Europe whom might or might not have roots to the Arabian world. Try to get a copy of it and you are on the watchlist.

Better than them falling in the hands of radicals and actually getting geared towards carrying out some plot.

I agree with your theory. Which kind of gives credence to the idea that this magazine is being published by CIA and not by al-Qaeda

posted on Dec, 10 2012 @ 06:05 AM
link   
The Anarchists Cookbook isn't illegal. The CPS (crown prosecution service, the British equivalent to the US district attorney) has prosecuted two cases (so far) for posession of the ACB, alleging its "terrorist material", and lost both.

It will however, draw the attention of the police, and get you on a number of watchlists. But then, being on ATS probably got you on the watchlists already

posted on Dec, 10 2012 @ 06:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by HTUKno1
Hello all, i dont believe the Anarchist cookbook to be illegal here in the UK?

Infact i just ordered it.

Not illegal, just frowned upon............

Boy in court on terror charges (for possessing anarchists cookbook)

edit on 10/12/12 by woogleuk because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 10 2012 @ 06:18 AM
link   

reply to post by MagicWand67

Dear MagicWand67,

Your statement is not correct. They were jailed for planning to blow up the London Stock Exchange. Here is a link to the article that Alex Jones linked to. The Australian - Four British Islamists admit plot to blow up London Stock Exchange

I can still remember when blowing up toilets was considered a practical joke.

Now it's an act of terrorism.

edit on 10-12-2012 by MagicWand67 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 10 2012 @ 06:19 AM
link   
reply to post by HTUKno1

The book itself isn't illegal, but the content can land you in hot water as it easily fits the definition of "possing material likely to be of use in performing acts of Terrorism".

That said, a Muslim youth who downloaded it in 2007 was charged with such an offence but was acquitted of all charges during Trial as he was only looking up firework and smoke bomb recipes for pranks.

So, in essence, be careful with it.

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join