It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

UK Woman Sentenced to Year in Prison for Having al-Qaeda Magazine

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 10 2012 @ 06:20 AM
link   
reply to post by woogleuk

Ah yes, that's the boy I was on about.

Later acquitted, but still had the hassle of being dragged through the courts.

posted on Dec, 10 2012 @ 06:25 AM
link   
reply to post by BMorris

Back in the early days of the intertron, my mate and I used to make a few quid for sweets at school by selling recipes out of the Cookbook for 50p a throw...

But most of what is contained within it is horribly out of date. The only things of use now are the recipes in making explosives or rockets. All the phone hacking and other info simply would not work these days.

posted on Dec, 10 2012 @ 06:31 AM
link   
reply to post by stumason

I have been following this thread with interest but not commenting as I don't know enough about the subject content.

I clicked on Hiwatt's link....and wish I hadn't. I don't consider myself a fool and am usually quite savvy.....but as a recent member and reading posts of other members I suppose I have just made presumptions that any links will be to further arguments and debates and open it up.

The link I unwittingly/ stupidly clicked on is something i would NOT look for on the internet as I have no interest in it and would worry about it getting me into some kind of trouble in the UK.But i didn't look at it long enough to see it properly so maybe someone can put my mind at rest?

Lesson learnt!!

posted on Dec, 10 2012 @ 07:14 AM
link   
reply to post by Logos23

It's fine, the publication isn't banned, but if your called Mohammed and have a penchant for shouting "death to the West", you might have something to worry about..

Bottom line is, I just looked at it through my corporate proxy, so it must be fine. I can't look at anything else even vaguely risky usually, so don't fret.

posted on Dec, 10 2012 @ 07:29 AM
link   

Well I don't believe I come under either of those categories, so i should be fine lol

Cool avatar by the way

posted on Dec, 10 2012 @ 08:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by gambon
It had instructions on bomb making , mixing bomb making chemicals and possible targets in the magazine , that is why it was banned and she was arrested.The same as if you where to have the anarchists cookbook nowadays

As for Iran believes ...well they believe a lot , do you believe them?
edit on 10-12-2012 by gambon because: (no reason given)

Yea well... you can get all that and more on the internet

posted on Dec, 10 2012 @ 09:59 AM
link   

Sounds familiar

Back when it was the Jolly Rogers cookbook and I had it on an Atari ST disk stashed under my mattress so the parents didn't find it.

That plus a disk full of dirty jokes, made a small fortune at school with them two disks.

posted on Dec, 10 2012 @ 10:14 AM
link   
Any book on counter terrorism has the implied , or explicit instructions for the opposite ......
Many recipes for explosives in the encyclopedias......were all gonna be guilty at this rate,
As Britain leads the way into the New Police state..........
edit on 10-12-2012 by stirling because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 10 2012 @ 10:50 AM
link   
Thread title needs to be changed as it doesn't in fact reflect the case at all.
Mearly shows ignorance of the case in question and is likely to produce bias.

posted on Dec, 10 2012 @ 11:04 AM
link   
well here is a good start in drawing those conclusions to a close, the US governments black ops agency the CIA IS Al Qaeda.

According to the CIA al qaeda never existed.

posted on Dec, 10 2012 @ 11:38 AM
link   
reply to post by moonrunner

The thread title is taken directly from the infowars article and is accurate IMHO

reply to post by The X

Thanks for the videos. I will check them out.

posted on Dec, 10 2012 @ 11:50 AM
link   
I dont think that she should have gone to jail. When I think of british doctors helping al cia da in Syria. Why should she go to jail? Not forgetting that our govt is also supplying al ciada in Syria with medicine and radio kits. No way should she have gone to jail over this bs.

posted on Dec, 10 2012 @ 02:28 PM
link   
reply to post by stirling

Leads the way?

We're not the nation that made a number of actual story books, 'challenged', that means as I understand it, withdrawn from public availablity. To all intents and purposes, banned (although scholars with legitimate research reasons could still obtain them legally).

Catcher in the Rye, - Because of its sexual references and blasphemy (so much for keeping religion seperate from politics eh)
Ulysees,
The Adventures of Huckleberry Fin; - For containing derogatory language about dark skinned persons. Yanno, the "n" word.

In fact the list is too long to list here.

We're not leading, we're merely following after you. You went down this road a long time before us, and so far we've only banned a few novels, the rest technical manuals or similar and are simply restricted. You can have them, but you might be challenged as to why.

posted on Dec, 10 2012 @ 05:26 PM
link   
reply to post by MagicWand67

That's what she gets for living in a police state.

Serves her right

How long until people put an end to this? A magazine for frigs sake!

I am never going to England again, and I don't even have any magazines from CIA creations.

posted on Dec, 10 2012 @ 07:08 PM
link   
I'll have to look further into this.

posted on Dec, 11 2012 @ 01:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by BMorris
As poster #2 said..

In the UK it is illegal to be in posession of materials which are designed to be used for terror attacks, and this includes instructions for the making of, unless you have valid reason to be in posession of those items.

In the eyes of the police, curiosity is not a valid reason. Obviously, the courts agreed in this case.

Its a disgustingly wide law, theoretically you could be arrested for posession of a chemistry textbook under it. Fortunatly the police haven't abused it too much yet. The last time I know of this law being invoked was when two political sciences students were arrested for ordering an Al'Quieda book from the University library. On that occasion, the court ruled that being political science students, meant they had valid reason, and they were freed.

But still, its one law I think it too wide, and too heavy handed.

Well, then they had better ban all the chemistry textbooks and worksheets in highschools, colleges and universities. These knob lawmakers in britain must be truly Orwellian since they now have the thought police.

Cheers - Dave

posted on Dec, 11 2012 @ 02:16 AM
link   
reply to post by MagicWand67

I shall leave that so others can decide.

posted on Dec, 11 2012 @ 02:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by charles1952
I didn't see that it was a plea bargain, but if it was, could she have been avoiding a charge of plotting by offering evidence against her own brother? It's certainly possible.

Not in the UK. Plea bargaining is not British. It just does not happen.

Ruksana Begum, the defendant, broke the law in that she had terrorist literature. Tough. Of course, we don't know whether she was smiling smugly or looking distraught in court because she was wearing a full face covering.

Regards

edit on 11/12/2012 by paraphi because: corrceted quote tag

posted on Dec, 11 2012 @ 02:56 AM
link   
To be fair, the magazine is not Cosmo or Vogue is it? She was not looking at fashion tips or 10 ways how to bag a millionaire!

Also.. I find it amusing that al qaida have a magazine anyway.. The problem page with its agony aunt would be interesting.. "Dear Iman, my wife will not submit fully to my whims. She spends more time with the goat than polishing my toe nails.. And last week she showed a part of her ankle in public!!.. What do I do?.. M. Helmand.... " "Beat her with rods till she submits.. If that does not work.. Stone her"

But also I do not want subscribers to this mag running around my country.. After serving their sentence they should be deported immediatly to a place they can be as al qaidery as they wish.

posted on Dec, 11 2012 @ 03:04 AM
link   

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join