It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

As Syria's rebels close in, Assad has three options

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 9 2012 @ 12:28 PM
link   

As Syria's rebels close in, Assad has three options

news.yahoo.com

The magnificent views across Damascus from the presidential palace on Mount Qassioun are unlikely to provide much comfort these days for Bashar al-Assad, Syria’s beleaguered head of state.

For several weeks, the skyline to the north, east, and south has been stained by black columns of smoke from artillery explosions and air strikes as Syrian government forces struggle to prevent the Free Syrian Army (FSA) rebels from inching ever closer to their goal of unseating Mr. Assad’s regime.

After 20 months of confrontation, Assad’s hold on power is looking increasingly frail, leaving him
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Dec, 9 2012 @ 12:28 PM
link   
I must admit that I am totally awe struck as I type this short intro.

I thought that Assad had this in the bag 20 months ago when this started, I thought this would just blow over...

I never thought things would go so far, that the rebels would continue to receive supplies and reorganize for the offensive.

Now Assad stands seemingly on the brink with a narrow set of " choices " laid out before him and his regime.

Time will tell if the fates have chosen otherwise for the Assad dictatorship.

As a poster said below, this conflict seems to have " good potential " to escalate into a much larger event.

The conflict in Syria has been raging for 629 days. Between Internet blockades and the serious threat to journalists' safety, public reporting on social networks has been a primary--and sometimes unreliable--source of information. That's left Syria watchers bouncing from news site to news site, piecing together information from different sources.

source

I am not one to fear monger but even when one looks at the situation from a layman's point of view: Russia backs Syria, China has a stake in the area, and the U.S has bases all over the region...

SS

news.yahoo.com
(visit the link for the full news article)
edit on 123131p://pm3149 by Spike Spiegle because: pics*

edit on 123131p://pm3153 by Spike Spiegle because: added text

posted on Dec, 9 2012 @ 12:38 PM
link   
As much as I would like to think otherwise it would be naive to believe that Assad wont go for the zero option if he considers his back against the wall. I would like nothing more than to see the ordinary people of Syria out of danger, and living freely in a just society but this will most likely come at a very high price.

In short what I am saying is this conflict has the potential to escalate way beyond anything we have so far seen, and it is downright unsettling to think of the possible wider consequences of an escalation.

posted on Dec, 9 2012 @ 01:32 PM
link   
reply to post by hotel1

Yes your very right what your saying my friend, I am sad to have to report facts, and that is we are on verge of World War Three, America know's it, UK know it, Russia knows and China and we are going to see things I was hoping I would never see happen, because NATO soon now will attack Russia first, that is the danger, we are well and truly in the poo as the UK have no pretection in place for public, and this will be a Rocket firework type war, not with rifles and Spitfires we are talking of stuff that could make your hair curl.

posted on Dec, 9 2012 @ 01:35 PM
link   
reply to post by Spike Spiegle

Your title would be more accurate if it said, "As Al Qaeda moves in........."

The globalists want Assad out just as they wanted Quadaffi out of Libya and Mubarak out of Egypt.

Look who has taken over since. Al Qaeda and the Muslim Brotherhood!

See the pattern? Don't buy into the peaceful US government wanting to promote peace in the Middle East!

posted on Dec, 9 2012 @ 01:40 PM
link   
reply to post by seeker1963

Yes your right NATO is trying to appease Muslim states, but that is mostly because NATO are wanting Muslims to start to attack Russia, once Russia are busy with that NATO will start on Russia too, Russia cannot win, so NATO will get nuked first on a preemtive strike if Russia has sense.

posted on Dec, 9 2012 @ 01:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by seeker1963

See the pattern? Don't buy into the peaceful US government wanting to promote peace in the Middle East!

I swear it's like people don't read the links nor the text I put some effort into, before responding...

Your title would be more accurate if it said, "As Al Qaeda moves in........."

I still give you a star for speaking your mind, but dude...

If you wander over to the Breaking Alternative News forum you will see a rule there, it goes something along the lines of; (Must be the exact same headline as used in the news story you're submitting.)

Now click on my link, now look at my title again, OK now look at which forum you're posting in, we cool?

SS
edit on 013131p://pm3123 by Spike Spiegle because: star

edit on 013131p://pm3141 by Spike Spiegle because: text

posted on Dec, 9 2012 @ 01:54 PM
link   

Oh I did read your post.......I guess I owe you an apology for perhaps answering it in a aggressive manner?

I am just disgusted with the garbage that the MSM is telling us about Syria. Do I think Assad is a good guy? Nope! However my reply was more or less for those who are buying into the propoganda that the FSA are the good guys when the facts are available to show how the US is yet prepared to destroy the infrastructure of yet another country that has a leader not playing by there rules to put in another Al Qaeda run nation in power.

Again, my apologies for being aggressive to the gist of your post...

posted on Dec, 9 2012 @ 02:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by seeker1963

I am just disgusted with the garbage that the MSM is telling us about Syria. Do I think Assad is a good guy? Nope! However my reply was more or less for those who are buying into the propoganda that the FSA are the good guys when the facts are available to show how the US is yet prepared to destroy the infrastructure of yet another country that has a leader not playing by there rules to put in another Al Qaeda run nation in power.

No apologies needed, I jumped the gun too, anyway I agree with your above quoted text.

I can't deny those facts.

SS

posted on Dec, 9 2012 @ 02:05 PM
link   

No apologies needed, I jumped the gun too, anyway I agree with your above quoted text.

I can't deny those facts.

Honestly you did deserve an apology. I could have worded things differently and by you bringing my short comings to my attention, it will only make my future posts better.....perhaps. But in general, when admitting that one has done wrong it usually helps to make them a better person in general!

So I thank you for helping me out.

posted on Dec, 9 2012 @ 02:12 PM
link   
reply to post by Alternative4u

Russia cannot win, so NATO will get nuked first on a preemtive strike if Russia has sense

Yep, bring out the nukes, that sounds sensible.

posted on Dec, 9 2012 @ 02:15 PM
link   
reply to post by butcherguy

When talking about this conflict / region someone always has to mention the really big guns ( nukes )

Such folly to even whisper a mention of using Nuclear Weapons...

SS

posted on Dec, 9 2012 @ 02:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by Spike Spiegle

When talking about this conflict / region someone always has to mention the really big guns ( nukes )

Such folly to even whisper a mention of using Nuclear Weapons...

SS
No folly in mentioning nuclear weapons.

To call their use sensible, well that's different, isn't it?

posted on Dec, 9 2012 @ 02:24 PM
link   

It is a very touchy situation in Syria.

It could just turn out like Libya, with Assad folding up and scurrying out, without any intervention by larger powers. Who knows?

posted on Dec, 9 2012 @ 02:30 PM
link   

Aye, that's what I mean, I agree with you, though I did mention or I used the word " using " which implies that I was talking about using them and not simply talking about them

I think I have confused myself now...

SS
edit on 023131p://pm3155 by Spike Spiegle because: I

posted on Dec, 9 2012 @ 02:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by Alternative4u
reply to post by seeker1963

Yes your right NATO is trying to appease Muslim states, but that is mostly because NATO are wanting Muslims to start to attack Russia, once Russia are busy with that NATO will start on Russia too, Russia cannot win, so NATO will get nuked first on a preemtive strike if Russia has sense.

Fortunately the Russian leadership are too busy getting rich to wish to become radioactive corpses in a nuked out ex-nation. Russia isn't going to sacrifice the motherland over Syria.

The situation in Syria is a mess but its not at NATOs instigation. Its really a Sunni/Shia proxy war. Saudi Arabia wants to take advantage of the uprising situation to remove Syria as a Shia Alawite Minority controlled ally of Iran. Thats why the weapons are coming from Saudi and the fighters are Salafist Jihadis. Its muslim on muslim sectarian war.

Russia obviously doesn't want the Assad regime to fall since they don't want to lose their port. However they wont intervene directly and it looks very much that they wont be able to save him though indirect support and political machinations.

The west knows which side its bread is buttered on. Thats why its towing the Saudi line and supporting the rebels while trying to avoid overspill elsewhere in the region.

posted on Dec, 9 2012 @ 02:55 PM
link   
Assad said he isn't leaving Syria or so that's what he claims until he has AQ kicking his door down.

President Assad has told Russian TV that any Western intervention would have catastrophic worldwide consequences, and said he would “live and die” in Syria.

“The United States is against me and the West is against me and many other Arab countries, including Turkey which is not Arab of course, are against me. If the Syrian people are against me, how can I be here?” he said.

“It is not about reconciling with the people and it is not about reconciliation between the Syrians and the Syrians; we do not have a civil war. It is about terrorism and the support coming from abroad to terrorists to destabilise Syria. This is our war.”

Source
(Not sure how credible the source is)

So I guess Assad will die in Syria, IF the people choose that path for him.

-SAP-

top topics

join