It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Svalbard Might Be Evacuated

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 7 2012 @ 08:35 AM
link   
DOOM bada DOOM DOOM>>>>>

posted on Dec, 7 2012 @ 09:08 AM
link   
haha this is so just in time... I am reading the book The doomesday key by James Rollins.

It deals with some genetic food

posted on Dec, 7 2012 @ 09:43 AM
link   
You gotta ask yourself, why are they creating this seed storage facility. They are not including any genetically modified food in this storage either as far as I know. It must be to start the world over after we destroy ourselves. A new world full of organic foods.

Good place to go visit, I'm a mouse you know and mice like seeds.

edit on 7-12-2012 by rickymouse because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 7 2012 @ 09:46 AM
link   
reply to post by rickymouse

Same reason they build walls to prevent tsunami's or have earthquake or fire drills, etc. It is simple preparedness and, frankly, a damn good idea to have a back up.

As we have seen all to easily over the last decade, natural disasters simply knock us for six. Look at Japanese megaquake - the most prepared nation on the planet was totally overwhelmed.

No, for me, the real worry is when they start emptying the seed bank!

posted on Dec, 7 2012 @ 11:05 AM
link   
Yessuh! That is one mighty fine co-winkydink r'at dere.....

Seriously though, the original article (or actually the Bing Translate version thereof) indicates that there is an out of control fire at the islands only power plant which is coal fired and locally fueled. The government there has seemingly drawn up plans to evacuate the island if they cannot save the power plant itself. These plans have not been implemented as yet.

The article also mentions that the firefighters are concerned about the stored coal at the plant site. Therein lies the potential for disaster.

Without researching the island itself, I am assuming that the local supply of coal is in the form of veins lying very close to the surface. That brings to mind the coal seam fire that has been burning for about 100 years in North Dakotas Theodore Roosevelt National Memorial Park. Not to mention the entire towns undermined by coal mine fires in the eastern USA.

DOOM detector twitching, I can imagine the entire island, Seed Vault and all, slowly sinking into the permafrost atop a perpetual coal flame.

Or do I need a new tin foil chapeau?

posted on Dec, 7 2012 @ 11:16 AM
link   
I fail to fathom how TPTB that orchestrated the Seed Vault, did not take into account the possibility of a sustained coal seam fire when it has already been evidenced in the States. Granted it's on an isolated island, but if the power plant is fueled from local (how local?) seams then there is a real and very great threat to the Seed Vault.
Fingers crossed that the fire is controlled soon.

posted on Dec, 7 2012 @ 11:37 AM
link   
The fire is under control now, so I guess they won't be evacuating (this time). Today, I've learned that a coal plant is Svalbard's sole source of power, and that they have plans ready for evacuation if something puts this power plant out of action. I knew already that they're mining coal there.

Here's a webcam for Longyearbyen, Svalbard.

posted on Dec, 7 2012 @ 11:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by rickymouse
You gotta ask yourself, why are they creating this seed storage facility. They are not including any genetically modified food in this storage either as far as I know. It must be to start the world over after we destroy ourselves. A new world full of organic foods.

Good place to go visit, I'm a mouse you know and mice like seeds.

edit on 7-12-2012 by rickymouse because: (no reason given)

Why are they creating it?

Because it would be absolutely foolish not too.

Anyway, this is only the seed bank we've heard about. As John Hurt's character Hadden says in Contact: "Why build one when you can have two at twice the price."

On topic, glad the fire is under control and everyone there will still be able to celebrate Christmas at home.

posted on Dec, 7 2012 @ 12:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by smugmushroom
I fail to fathom how TPTB that orchestrated the Seed Vault, did not take into account the possibility of a sustained coal seam fire when it has already been evidenced in the States. Granted it's on an isolated island, but if the power plant is fueled from local (how local?) seams then there is a real and very great threat to the Seed Vault.
Fingers crossed that the fire is controlled soon.

Oh come on. The odds that a fire THAT large and out of control to light up the coal veins would happen is beyomd imagination. You prepare for what is likely, but this is like giving a boat a parachute in case a tornado sucks it up into the air. Why waste so much money proofing everything? Help, for that matter, wouldn't the damn place be underwater if we were all killed by global warming and rising sea levels?

posted on Dec, 7 2012 @ 02:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by steppenwolf86

wouldn't the damn place be underwater if we were all killed by global warming and rising sea levels?

From Wiki:

Spitsbergen was considered ideal due to its lack of tectonic activity and its permafrost, which will aid preservation. The location 130 metres (430 ft) above sea level will ensure that the site remains dry even if the icecaps melt

posted on Dec, 7 2012 @ 02:05 PM
link   
i have never heared of this seed bank before

seems to me its an ark, they come prepared i see, the puzzle pieces fit

posted on Dec, 7 2012 @ 02:06 PM
link   
reply to post by Hellmutt

So the fire is out and the plant is out of commission? From the Wiki link you provided...

Locally mined coal provides power for refrigeration units that further cool the seeds to the internationally recommended standard −18 °C (0 °F).[9] Even if the equipment fails, at least several weeks will elapse before the temperature rises to the −3 °C (27 °F) of the surrounding sandstone bedrock.

The seeds are "further cooled" by the same power plant? And the temp begins to rise in the vault, right? Isn't temperature rise one of the triggers for seeds to begin sprouting?

Don't know much about it, just wondering...

I won't mind so much if they begin to move the seeds as long as they don't load them on a huge square wooden boat.

posted on Dec, 7 2012 @ 02:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by intrptr------>The seeds are "further cooled" by the same power plant?

The seed vault get its primary power supply from the power plant that is on fire yes.
Also they have two very powerful turbine generators, each one of them powerful enaugh to ensure normal operation of the facility.

posted on Dec, 7 2012 @ 02:52 PM
link   
If stored in a relatively cool and dark place seeds can last for years. Im sure they only refrigerate them because they can but even without refrigeration the seeds will be fine. There are actually many cases of seeds being dug up from caves, tombs etc, that are hundreds even thousands of years old and still germinated. Last year i grew Anasazi beans and corn which according to the story were discovered inside a cave sealed in a clay pot that was 1500 years old and they were able to germinate them and grow them. Also, ive heard that spelt is a type of wheat that was discovered inside an egyptian sarcophagus and was still viable after however many thousands of years. I harvest my own seeds from the garden and just throw them in a bag and keep them in the cupboard. the next year or even 2 years later they germinate just fine. So the seeds shelf-life is not really an issue here.

posted on Dec, 7 2012 @ 02:56 PM
link   
reply to post by intrptr

They wont sprout unless they're moist. Seeds stored in an underground bunker will last for years without any need for power.

posted on Dec, 7 2012 @ 03:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by Hellmutt
The Norwegian article doesn't mention the seed vault, but says that the fire is still not under control, that all available firefighters are currently fighting the flames, and that there are plans to evacuate the island's population, since this plant is the island's sole source of power.

And...
They are currently getting power from a Diesel Generator.

posted on Dec, 7 2012 @ 03:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by intrptr
reply to post by Hellmutt

So the fire is out and the plant is out of commission? From the Wiki link you provided...

Locally mined coal provides power for refrigeration units that further cool the seeds to the internationally recommended standard −18 °C (0 °F).[9] Even if the equipment fails, at least several weeks will elapse before the temperature rises to the −3 °C (27 °F) of the surrounding sandstone bedrock.

The seeds are "further cooled" by the same power plant? And the temp begins to rise in the vault, right? Isn't temperature rise one of the triggers for seeds to begin sprouting?

Don't know much about it, just wondering...

I won't mind so much if they begin to move the seeds as long as they don't load them on a huge square wooden boat.

The current temperature/weather in Svalbard.
See; Svalbard Weather
Is a few degrees under freezing.

It won't get any warmer, until around May 2013...

posted on Dec, 7 2012 @ 04:21 PM
link   
Interesting involvements...World Bank, Rockefeller Foundation, Bill & Melinda Gates Depopulation Foundation...

Svalbard Global Seed Vault

Operational costs will be paid by Norway and the Global Crop Diversity Trust
(...)
The Global Crop Diversity Trust (GCDT) has played a key role in the planning of the seed vault

Global Crop Diversity Trust

It was established through a partnership between the (1) United Nations Food and Agriculture Organization (FAO) and the (2) Consultative Group on International Agricultural Research (CGIAR) acting through (3) Bioversity International.

(1) FAO (Food and Agriculture Organization)

is a specialized agency of the United Nations
infamous for Codex Alimentarius

(2) CGIAR (Consultative Group on International Agricultural Research)

In 1970, the Rockefeller Foundation proposed a worldwide network of agricultural research centers under a permanent secretariat. This was further supported and developed by the World Bank, FAO and UNDP, and the CGIAR was established on May 19, 1971

(3) Bioversity International - About Us

Main funders

Donors include around 30 governments (from both developed and developing countries), the World Bank, the European Union, the United Nations Environment Programme, the International Fund for Agricultural Development, major private philanthropic foundations, such as the Christensen Fund, McKnight Foundation, the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation and also corporate bodies, such as Mars Inc, and Pioneer Hi-Bred International Inc.

edit on 7.12.2012 by grobi77 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 7 2012 @ 04:31 PM
link   
I think they took out some seeds a few years back, too. I've been searching for the link, can't seem to find it...

posted on Dec, 7 2012 @ 05:15 PM
link   
reply to post by emeris

included human DNA.... also seed.....

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join