It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Austrian bus driver finds $500,000...and turns it in?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 6 2012 @ 10:05 PM
link   
Ok,

Call me what you want but would I turn it in? Nope, nada, Hell no!

What I would do is wait and search to find out who lost it. Drug dealers? Nope. Wealthy individual? Nope. Government employee of any sort...definitely never.

If I found that it was destined for a good cause...ok.

But I have to ask. In this instance, what kind of person carries around a half million in cash on a bus?
news.ca.msn.com...

But the driver has nothing to show for his honesty beyond praise from superiors. Weeks later, the owner has not contacted him to offer a reward.

And that's what he gets for his honesty? Nothing. I'll bet he wishes that maybe he should have kept it, found the owner and if they really needed it back, held a little back as a self proclaimed reward.

Without him, what would she have? Nada, zip, zilch, nothing.

Peace

posted on Dec, 6 2012 @ 10:09 PM
link   
I just got mad reading this. Can't believe they didn't give the guy a couple thousand for turning it in.

I honestly probably would have kept it too.

posted on Dec, 6 2012 @ 10:09 PM
link   
reply to post by jude11

What kind of person carries that amount, on a bus?

Well, you know............

I hope Karma works out for this man, someway. He definitely deserves it.
It would be hard to turn that type of amount in. Obviously the loser of the money could care less that he lost it.

S&F

posted on Dec, 6 2012 @ 10:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by jude11
Ok,

Call me what you want but would I turn it in? Nope, nada, Hell no!

What I would do is wait and search to find out who lost it. Drug dealers? Nope. Wealthy individual? Nope. Government employee of any sort...definitely never.

If I found that it was destined for a good cause...ok.

But I have to ask. In this instance, what kind of person carries around a half million in cash on a bus?
news.ca.msn.com...

But the driver has nothing to show for his honesty beyond praise from superiors. Weeks later, the owner has not contacted him to offer a reward.

And that's what he gets for his honesty? Nothing. I'll bet he wishes that maybe he should have kept it, found the owner and if they really needed it back, held a little back as a self proclaimed reward.

Peace

Totally agree....that amount of cash was most likely being used for something underhanded. The fact that someone that could afford to possibly lose $500K by carrying it around and not even try to thank the low wage worker that turned it in lends me all the more to the thought of it being a shady person. I would hope the transit authorities were involved and got the local police involved with whomever picked up the cash and is now doing a thorough background check on them.

Either way...bus driver should have kept it....

posted on Dec, 6 2012 @ 10:11 PM
link   
The bus drivers thinking might have been that because it was found on a bus then it is unlikely it belongs to a rich person, but may have been something else like an old ladies life savings she finally decided should be in a bank instead of under a mattress. That money might have been college education for a dozen grandchildren, or a new home for one of her children and their family.

I don't think drug dealers with that much money would be riding the bus either.

But it begs the question, why not thank the driver?

edit on 6-12-2012 by polarwarrior because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 6 2012 @ 10:11 PM
link   
news flash!

Baddmove finds $500,000 on bus..

crickets....crickets....

posted on Dec, 6 2012 @ 10:12 PM
link   

posted on Dec, 6 2012 @ 10:13 PM
link   
Dont alot of busses have security cameras now though? maybe he thought about keeping it then handed it in because he thought it wasn't worth getting caught taking it?

posted on Dec, 6 2012 @ 10:14 PM
link   
reply to post by jude11

What kind of person carries half a million in cash on a bus and loses it ????????

posted on Dec, 6 2012 @ 10:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by homeslice
Dont alot of busses have security cameras now though? maybe he thought about keeping it then handed it in because he thought it wasn't worth getting caught taking it?

Plausible.

But with half a Million, you can "become" someone else quickly........

posted on Dec, 6 2012 @ 10:18 PM
link   

And that's what he gets for his honesty? Nothing.

Should we pay people for being honest?
Doesn't that in a sense defeat the purpose?

He shouldn't be paid for turning in money that did not belong to him.

If he turned the money in because he felt it would be wrong to steal it then he should be satisfied that he didn't compromise his moral code.

If he turned it in because he was expecting someone to pay him for NOT stealing it, then he will definitely be disappointed in this case.

Personally I don't keep things I find that don't belong to me.
I try and return them to their owner without expectations.

- Lee

posted on Dec, 6 2012 @ 10:20 PM
link   
reply to post by jude11

and to all the other comments thus far...

Am I seriously the only person that sees nothing wrong with this?

You know what you gain from being honest? Merit... and his actions are praise worthy.

"self proclaimed reward"? wt... seriously? Is this actually what your approach would have been if you knew in advance that you would receive no award for turning in the money?

Is that not theft...

It was NOT HIS MONEY... case CLOSED!

So what does he have any claim to? Nada, zip, zilch, nothing.

posted on Dec, 6 2012 @ 10:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by MESSAGEFROMTHESTARS

No.

You may have not read all of the comments.

- Lee

posted on Dec, 6 2012 @ 10:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by lee anoma

And that's what he gets for his honesty? Nothing.

Should we pay people for being honest?
Doesn't that in a sense defeat the purpose?

He shouldn't be paid for turning in money that did not belong to him.

If he turned the money in because he felt it would be wrong to steal it then he should be satisfied that he didn't compromise his moral code.

If he turned it in because he was expecting someone to pay him for NOT stealing it, then he will definitely be disappointed in this case.

Personally I don't keep things I find that don't belong to me.
I try and return them to their owner without expectations.

- Lee

Off topic....what is your avatar?

posted on Dec, 6 2012 @ 10:26 PM
link   
That awkward moment you realize you forgot your 500,000$ of cash on the bus...

I get nervous when I lose my wallet.

posted on Dec, 6 2012 @ 10:34 PM
link   

reply to post by jude11

You know what you gain from being honest? Merit... and his actions are praise worthy.

"self proclaimed reward"? wt... seriously? Is this actually what your approach would have been if you knew in advance that you would receive no award for turning in the money?

Is that not theft...

Try explaining your argument to any country that has ever been conquered....you can start with the native americans and tell the anglo saxons to leave the US.....

It all depends on the laws in that state and what the person who found it actually believes, as in if it was stolen money or used in a crime, etc....if he was smart he would have turned in $10k and seen who came in to check for the money then had the cops look into it for a reward if the person was indeed a criminal.

posted on Dec, 6 2012 @ 10:37 PM
link   
I guess not all Austrians are bad eh?
It takes honesty or fear to hand the money in ..but it was reported in Australia he was a Taxi driver not a bus driver...he would have had his fare recorded.
But anyways folks Iam sure the honest folks carrying a half a million were sure relieved.

posted on Dec, 6 2012 @ 10:38 PM
link   

reply to post by jude11

Is that not theft...

He found the money. It was in his possession, no one was there to claim it...I believe that qualifies as "MINE!"

He has claim to everything.

Possession being the 9/10ths of the law and all. Even if this couldn't stand up in court why no reward? That's the real issue here.

Peace

posted on Dec, 6 2012 @ 10:42 PM
link   
I consider myself has a good person, but turning in all that money ??? no way in this world.
Call me what ever you want.

posted on Dec, 6 2012 @ 10:42 PM
link   
$500,000 on a bus?? I think the only thought that would rest on my mind....like a 10 ton boulder...was a movie I watched with a similar little quinky dink type thing happening to a guy. You all might have heard of it...No Country for Old Men.

Something about being popped with a pneumatic cow popper just doesn't do it for me. Not one bit.... I might be tempted to keep $5,000.....maybe...but $500,000? One doesn't simply 'lose' a half a million is what I'd figure. One GETS BACK their half million.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join