It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

4-yr old shoots, kills 2-yr old brother

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 5 2012 @ 09:18 PM
link   
This is very sad. A 4-year old boy finds his parents gun and while playing with it accidentally shoots and kills his 2-yr old brother. I'm against our government taking away guns from legal law abiding citizens but a story like this just rips through you. Time and time again we hear about this. People need to lock up their guns when they have children in the house. Don't even take a chance.

4-yr old brother shoots, kills 2-yr old brother

posted on Dec, 5 2012 @ 09:24 PM
link   
How can someone be dumb enough to leave a loaded gun in the house with infants in the home?
Thats absurdly dangerous. I bet their bleach is locked up from kids

posted on Dec, 5 2012 @ 09:26 PM
link   
reply to post by dashen

Minnesota law says its illegal to have a loaded gun in the house so along with the tragedy and suffering of losing a child, they'll get charged for his death as well.

posted on Dec, 5 2012 @ 09:28 PM
link   
reply to post by Rezlooper

That's really sad. I trigger lock my
Nightstand 9mm when my GFs
Son is over, and the key in such
a place he cannot get to, but easy
For me if an intruder breaks in..

Sad to hear of a loss that could have been prevented....

Very easily prevented, undereducated and irresponsible
Parents should not be allowed responsibility without proper training
Or a brain!
edit on 5-12-2012 by AK907ICECOLD because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 5 2012 @ 09:29 PM
link   
reply to post by dashen

How? It's definitely possible; and statistically probable that there will be some people who leave a loaded gun lying around like that. With over 350 million people in this country alone, and the rapid spread of news/information, I'm actually not surprised one bit.

Sad though. =[
edit on 5-12-2012 by Raelsatu because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 5 2012 @ 09:40 PM
link   
reply to post by Rezlooper

So tragic and unnecessary......where were the parents???

Just another incident where anti-gun groups will blame the "gun" instead of the person themselves.
In this case, it is the responsibility of the parents.

In the case of the NFL linebacker, it was HIS fault/responsibility, not the gun itself.

But now the gun laws will be tossed around and analyzed by special interest groups.

posted on Dec, 5 2012 @ 09:42 PM
link   
reply to post by snarky412

The kids were upstairs playing and the parents were downstairs.

posted on Dec, 5 2012 @ 09:42 PM
link   
This is very sad...

I'm sure this will spark up the " GUN " debate to a new height of intensity now.

So bloody young to go....Can't imagine the media storm to come for the parents....

SS

posted on Dec, 5 2012 @ 09:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by Rezlooper
reply to post by snarky412

The kids were upstairs playing and the parents were downstairs.

This doesn't make sense unless the father is mistaken:

Police say the 4-year-old was playing with a handgun he found in a bedroom when the shooting occurred. Family members say they aren't sure how the boy found the handgun his father kept hidden on a shelf in the closet.

How did the kid know where to look for it?
How did he even know Dad had a gun?
Unless he'd seen Daddy play with it before and saw where he put it.
Why was it loaded any way?

So sad..... what a loss.
The guilt and remorse that the family will be going through will be never ending I'm afraid.

posted on Dec, 5 2012 @ 09:59 PM
link   
A lock never stopped me from finding our family gun.

Not saying that you should not lock them up. You said you believe in your second amendment but do you really? You think the parents need to be punished for something a 4 year old kid did? # happens, kids die in accidents every day. 10million die every year. The only reason this is being reported is because they want our 2nd amendment. They chose these story's because it will sway public opinion for "their" agenda.

Should we ban roach poison and cleaners because kids can die from them? I bet more children die a year from house hold chemical poisons then they do from finding their parents gun. Should a parent be punished if a child kills them self from poison?
edit on 5-12-2012 by Infi8nity because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 5 2012 @ 09:59 PM
link   
Title should read:

Parent kills child by giving gun to 4 year old.

Some people are complete and utter morons.

posted on Dec, 5 2012 @ 10:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by Raelsatu
reply to post by dashen

How? It's definitely possible; and statistically probable that there will be some people who leave a loaded gun lying around like that. With over 350 million people in this country alone, and the rapid spread of news/information, I'm actually not surprised one bit.

Sad though. =[
edit on 5-12-2012 by Raelsatu because: (no reason given)

How do you know it was laying around? It could have been well hidden. I remember when i was younger I used to rummage threw my parents room. I knew EVERY thing that was in there, from the sex toy's to the gun locked in a tool box, to the key witch was hidden VERY well in a magnet key lock stuck to the back of the bed. Kids are curious. I used to climb the closet shelf's and chest, their was no stopping me. I even played with the gun a couple times, only I knew how to unload it at the age of 4. If you have a gun in your house, it would be a very good idea to teach your kids a little bit about it. My dad did, probably saved my life.

posted on Dec, 5 2012 @ 10:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by Infi8nity
A lock never stopped me from finding our family gun.

Not saying that you should not lock them up. You said you believe in your second amendment but do you really? You think the parents need to be punished for something a 4 year old kid did? # happens, kids die in accidents every day. 10million die every year. The only reason this is being reported is because they want our 2nd amendment. They chose these story's because it will sway public opinion for "their" agenda.

Should we ban roach poison and cleaners because kids can die from them? I bet more children die a year from house hold chemical poisons then they do from finding their parents gun.

I believe in our 2nd amendment firmly, and I didn't say I believe the parents should be charged, especially without knowing the full details. What I said was that MN law says they will be charged.

No matter how a child dies, it's tragic and in cases like this (guns or household chemicals), it's preventable! I used to keep my gun in the closet on the shelf and loaded, but now I don't since having my first child three years ago. I happen to have two boys that are the same ages as these two and it just sickens me thinking about what that family is going through right now.

posted on Dec, 5 2012 @ 10:13 PM
link   
Well, not much to say really, other than if you're so intent on having guns on every corner, then this is to be expected.

Why is there an outcry about it anyway? Tragic.. but then throwing your children out of a perfectly good aeroplane is also tragic. If you want so much to do it, don't complain when one hits the ground.

???

posted on Dec, 5 2012 @ 10:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by winofiend
Well, not much to say really, other than if you're so intent on having guns on every corner, then this is to be expected.

Why is there an outcry about it anyway? Tragic.. but then throwing your children out of a perfectly good aeroplane is also tragic. If you want so much to do it, don't complain when one hits the ground.

???

You should have a little more wine my friend, J/K - I don't think its about having a gun on every corner, its about the wrong idiots having guns. As I was saying, I just think people with guns and children need to know these two things don't mix well, so do something about it and make damn sure those kids can't get the guns!

posted on Dec, 5 2012 @ 10:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by Infi8nity

How do you know it was laying around? It could have been well hidden.

The phrase is ambiguous; laying around could also mean somewhere put away, but not secure enough to keep out children. For example some people keep their firearms in a chest or case, in the closet; but it's not locked up & can be easily accessed by anyone curious enough. Even if the parents told the 4-year old that guns are dangerous, often at that age the term "danger" doesn't match up well against their inquisitiveness... At least not until something tragic like this happens.

posted on Dec, 5 2012 @ 10:36 PM
link   
I will post a quote from a thread I started back in 26-8-2011
www.abovetopsecret.com...

Another thing I have noticed that kind of supports that idea. All of the child shooting incidents I have ever heard of involve a child that has had heavily restricted access (or no access at all) to a gun up until the day he finds his parent’s pistol in the sock drawer.

The factors that leads up to that disaster are……..

He has never seen a real one, and doesn’t know that there is a real one in the house.

When he finds one, he doesn’t know that it’s real, and possible thinks it is just like all his other toy guns.

He will be intensely curious about it because it’s something he has never seen before.

He will want to show all his friends because he knows all his friends have never seen one.

Thus, curiosity will lead to tragedy.

Like clock work. It happens again and again.

Keeping your children ignorant of the dangers in the house is asking for them to get hurt. You teach your child to not stick their hand on the hot wood stove. Same as you should show your child what the gun is, so they will know what it is should they ever run across it while you are not home, and you should teach them that it is just as dangerous as anything else that could hurt or kill them in the house.

If your child finds a knife, does he run up and stick it in the chest of his friend? No, because you have educated him on what a knife is, and that it will hurt someone if they are stuck with it.

The same should apply to a gun.

Educate your children on the dangers. Do not keep them ignorant hopping that they never find a gun in real life before you finally get around to telling them about all dangers of the weapons you have been hiding from him.

posted on Dec, 6 2012 @ 12:12 AM
link   
Yet another example of an adult not taking the dire seriousness of gun ownership and the responsibility/maturity necessary in order to ensure the safety of themselves and others.

It's no different from owning/driving a car.

You are solely responsible for the ownership and operation of a deadly weapon. You literally take everyone's lives into your own hands when you accept that responsibility.

Had that gun been kept under tight lock and key (key hidden and gun stored emptied of any ammo), and the ammo stored in a different place, this family would still have their 2 year old child.

It's basic common sense folks... use the brains you were born with or pay the damn consequences.

These parents have just learned the ugliest life lesson nobody would even wish on their worst enemy.

posted on Dec, 6 2012 @ 12:19 AM
link   
It must be hard living somewhere where a loaded gun must be within quick and easy access.to keep the occupants safe . Didnt read the whole story,but assuming its from Mogadishu or somewhere like that

posted on Dec, 6 2012 @ 12:30 AM
link   
Horrible, just horrible. Where were the parents? Why the unlocked gun? Once again, a bad call by the people in charge. Yet people will cry gun control. Really????? Yes, please control your guns. Really.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join