It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

4-yr old shoots, kills 2-yr old brother

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 6 2012 @ 12:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by 12voltz
It must be hard living somewhere where a loaded gun must be within quick and easy access.to keep the occupants safe . Didnt read the whole story,but assuming its from Mogadishu or somewhere like that

What is the exact probability of getting robbed that would mark the dividing point between not needing a loaded gun, and needing a loaded gun?

In other news……What is the probability of having a fire which would mark the dividing point for needing, or not needing a fire extinguisher? Some fire extinguishers are very deadly weapons when used in the right way. What level of risk justifies keeping such deadly weapon on hand to combat fires?

Originally posted by CranialSponge
You literally take everyone's lives into your own hands when you accept that responsibility.

When I take everyone’s life into my hands, is when I use a chainsaw…..

edit on 6-12-2012 by Mr Tranny because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 6 2012 @ 01:02 AM
link   
reply to post by Rezlooper

they'll get charged for his death as well.

Good lock em up and throw away the key.

....really have no time for these kind of people

posted on Dec, 6 2012 @ 01:04 AM
link   
Truly a tragic event. I don't care if it was hidden away, Children are just too curious and get into trouble. Why was that gun loaded with children in the house? I am sure the parents are just beside themselves with grief, but man!

posted on Dec, 6 2012 @ 01:15 AM
link   
I personally feel that a locked gun is a worthless gun. If we knew why we'd need one...we wouldn't NEED it after all, would we? The whole problem is that when that time comes it won't be a scheduled or timed sequence of events with plenty allowed for the unlocking or key punching of a lock box or trigger lock.

Funny thing about real bad situations....adrenaline is an evil thing and foils the best of good ideas too. Fumbling fingers and hands that just don't cooperate. Indeed.. it's something real hard to plan for and KISS is the concept to live by.

On the other hand, there are common sense things and common sense was sure lacking here. My automatics have empty chambers...as a given. That only changes if they are on my body as CCW. (a loud CLACK-CLACK isn't the best idea if it's a bad ccw situation). At home though, the chamber is always clear and before my son was old enough to teach to shoot and respect weapons to a functional level, magazines were also kept separate and hidden.

Revolvers I've always had the next chamber down as an empty. A lot of people seem to think the chamber under the hammer is the one to keep empty for safety but that's foolish. All new guns have internal safeties that almost make that misfire impossible. What IS important though is that the first trigger pull and probably ONLY trigger pull a stranger will get will be a very confusing and totally harmless click. I know to double pull as an automatic thing. No one else does.

Just common sense things any gun owner can do.... There are also bio-metric gun lock boxes that pop on fingerprints almost instantly. I didn't buy one so I can't attest to failure rates...if any. It might be worth checking too...
edit on 6-12-2012 by Wrabbit2000 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 6 2012 @ 01:19 AM
link   
its ok. atleast their parents would be able to use the guns to protect themselves.
you know, from idiot's with gun's.

posted on Dec, 6 2012 @ 02:01 AM
link   
This is a tragic story. And it could've been avoided. Someone else said that people who own guns, and kids, they should teach them about them. Some people might get upset by this, BUT, We have a few weapons in the house, my 11 yr old has been around them all her life(guns) My husband and I, from the beginning, taught her that she should not play with them. A few years ago, she finally wanted to shoot one. .22, she loves it. She also likes to watch us practice target shooting. Of course, I guess I lucked out, she never really got into things.

My dad also taught me about guns. I personally do not carry one. I carry knives. My hubby and I grew up in a town next to Gary Indiana. If you have ever been there, you'd carry guns to!
edit on 6-12-2012 by thepolish1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 6 2012 @ 02:46 AM
link   
These three videos should make the politically correct heads just explode!
He goes a bit overboard, but the principle is the same.

posted on Dec, 6 2012 @ 08:50 AM
link   
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

You're right, a locked gun is a worthless gun. That's how I've felt about my own now that it is locked away. Wouldn't do me much good right now if someone were breaking into my house. I wouldn't be able to get to it fast enough. I've thought about that but I also felt that with little ones in the house and too young yet to teach about guns, it just wasn't safe. My three year old- almost four, climbs on counters, moves things to get to higher areas and finds ways to explore. Also, we've taught him about knives yet the other day I caught him running though the house with a kitchen knife, so at that age, although we may teach them, they are not ready to listen. Just last week I saw him shooting his little brother with a toy gun, made me think of the locked away gun and how important it is that he can't get to it in any way. Then, I see this tragedy on the news and it strikes a chord.

posted on Dec, 6 2012 @ 09:15 AM
link   

That's the part that makes this so hard a subject isn't it? In your home, your kids are rambunctious, curious and explore everything. Your unique circumstances make for unique ways of handling it. Let's get an Ahmen for common sense...

You're left to apply it how it bets fits as am I with everyone else. I think stories like this show where common sense was certainly not common...OR...tragically, someone can do everything 100% right sometimes to see these things still happen?

I just think your words make a great point in how a one size fits all law or regulation is absurd. I imagine when your house changes to where you can have your weapons stored differently, it's something only you'll know and be able to determine. It certainly isn't a decision to be made or helped by lawmakers or busy bodies who figure they have a right to intrude on the home like that unless tragedy has happened...in one specific home, like this was.

posted on Dec, 6 2012 @ 10:09 AM
link   
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

Great point

posted on Dec, 6 2012 @ 12:08 PM
link   
Unfotunatly when guns are legal their is bound to be someone who don't look after them right.

posted on Dec, 6 2012 @ 12:20 PM
link   
Sad. Very sad. It was probably a revolver without a safety. People....if you are going to keep a gun in the home (out of a locked safe) then at least have one that has a safety and use it.

posted on Dec, 6 2012 @ 12:21 PM
link   
There’s a number of safety precautions that failed here.

A hand gun must be locked up at all times when there’s kids around.

Why do you have a round chambered in your pistol in the first place? If it’s a revolver then you’re dumb to have a revolver laying around.

Another step of safety is to have a simi automatic hand gun un chambered for protection. If the gun is left out, and it should never be EVER, then the child would have to pull the slide back to chamber a round to be able to shoot it. It’s going to be impossible for a 4 year old to do that. The poundage to pull back the slide is just to heavy for the child

case in point, ill never buy a revolver for home deffence. its just way to easy to miss fire or shoot. And if i do have one for fun. it will always be locked up and unloaded to only be used on the range.
edit on 6-12-2012 by camaro68ss because: (no reason given)

edit on 6-12-2012 by camaro68ss because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 6 2012 @ 12:25 PM
link   
What is so uprising here?

If a gun exist, it will be used, in this case, by accident.

Getting a gun is easy, so it should never be a surprise when things like this happen.

posted on Dec, 6 2012 @ 12:25 PM
link   

People have been accidentally shooting themselves and others since guns were invented. The statistics would be staggering if you could find them worldwide.

Remember everything at this point is about disarming citizens.

It is btw a terrible tragic story, the child must be shattered.

posted on Dec, 6 2012 @ 12:34 PM
link   
America does need to have tougher gun laws and control over the sale and use of firearms. Before anyone jumps on me claiming this is a knee-jerk reaction to this story it is not. This story goes to show that laws need to be put in place that punish people who leave their firearms lying around which can be freely accessed by children. This is a truly tragic story, a young child has been lost for ever and another childs life has been ruined. I send my condolences to the family.

posted on Dec, 6 2012 @ 12:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by ProfessorT
America does need to have tougher gun laws and control over the sale and use of firearms. Before anyone jumps on me claiming this is a knee-jerk reaction to this story it is not. This story goes to show that laws need to be put in place that punish people who leave their firearms lying around which can be freely accessed by children. This is a truly tragic story, a young child has been lost for ever and another childs life has been ruined. I send my condolences to the family.

We dont need more laws

The family lost there child because they were stupid and left the gun out. The loss of there child will be all the punishment in the world they need.

posted on Dec, 6 2012 @ 01:23 PM
link   
Whenever I read a thread on this type for subject (kid finds gun in home), and then read some of the responses (lock the gun up, get rid of the guns, keep them away from the children) I always wonder how I survived growing up in a home that had many unlocked firearms.... Maybe because I was taught at a young age that they are dangerous and not a toy of any kind, and that if I even thought about getting one out with out my parents around to supervise I would get my ass handed to me.
Maybe, just maybe what we as firearm owners (and a nation) should do is EDUCATE our children, after all isn't that what everybody say's is important

posted on Dec, 6 2012 @ 01:40 PM
link   
I am in favor of Idiot Control and Regulations Against Morons. Pretty sure its not that difficult to have a loaded gun in an easily accessible place for adults only. Oh wait, most people have and IQ under 90 so maybe it is...

edit on 6-12-2012 by ConspiracyBuff because: Face!

posted on Dec, 6 2012 @ 01:46 PM
link   
That is a really sad story, im glad that guns are illegal here in the UK.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join