It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

U.S. Government Selective Service System form came today......

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 5 2012 @ 10:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by unityemissions
Out of the millions who never bothered to register, there have been a handful of cases which went to court, and I don't think a single case has happened in the last 15 years or so.

It's a waste. Don't do it.

um why not? because they can?

I can think of 3 good reasons to register.....
financial aid, any federal job, no risk for being arrested and fined.

Can you name one besides the off-chance we go to war and need a draft?

posted on Dec, 5 2012 @ 11:11 AM
link   

Out of the millions who never bothered to register, there have been a handful of cases which went to court, and I don't think a single case has happened in the last 15 years or so.

It's a waste. Don't do it.

Do you make a habit of advising people to openly and blatantly violate federal law? I mean thats not just bad advice, that's outright reckless.

Someone else mentioned Student Loans and he's absolutely right. FAFSA is one area that claims to check Selective Service Status and these days? No FAFSA means NO school. outta luck. Ouch. Need other benefits or help? Thats a shame...because almost anything worth having that has any connection whatsoever to the Federal Government runs a routine check to see if this was filled out.

I wish folks would consider such advice...because your could literally destroy lives for nothing, not even protest points.

posted on Dec, 5 2012 @ 11:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by Ghost375

I already negated the last one. It's not going to happen. As for the first two. If they seek that. Fine. They can take the risk.

If you think this is about quantity of things, and not quality, fine. I refuse to go to war.

posted on Dec, 5 2012 @ 11:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by Wrabbit2000
Do you make a habit of advising people to openly and blatantly violate federal law? I mean thats not just bad advice, that's outright reckless.

No. Only when that law is unconscienctious. You are free to feel it's bad advice, and "reckless"
I'm free to disagree

Someone else mentioned Student Loans and he's absolutely right. FAFSA is one area that claims to check Selective Service Status and these days? No FAFSA means NO school. outta luck. Ouch. Need other benefits or help? Thats a shame...because almost anything worth having that has any connection whatsoever to the Federal Government runs a routine check to see if this was filled out.

You lie in the presentation of false dichotomies. Not applying for a federal student loan does NOT mean someone will not go to school. There are many other ways in which someone could get a loan, or already have the money. Please stop lying on these boards. Thanks.

I wish folks would consider such advice...because your could literally destroy lives for nothing, not even protest points.

Nothing, except being a conscientious objector. You could be destroying lives by telling them to sign up. I wish you'd consider that as well.

Sheesh.

edit on 5-12-2012 by unityemissions because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 5 2012 @ 11:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by j.r.c.b.
Imagine my surprise when my 20 YR. old opened his mail & received this letter today. It must be returned within 10 days, or "failure to register is a federal crime punishable by fine & imprisonment." It also has his SS # typed in. He is my first born son out of 3, & I had no idea he was supposed to register in case of a draft. I assumed they did all of these types of things in senior yr.. I found the timing to be odd. My question is, has anyone else received this letter recently? My son has no bank account, or credit card, but he does have a drivers license(he tries to fly under the radar, but is a good kid). Hope no one minds the forum I put this in & I did do a search, but came up empty....mods, please move this thread if necessary.....

This is standard for everyone since the draft first took place. It means nothing..

As long as you got a Soc number then you'll get one when your 18-20.. I'm 31 now, got mine when I was 18.

It's for just in case they want to re implement a draft. It's not an indicator of anything. Don't worry.

posted on Dec, 5 2012 @ 12:22 PM
link   
How can people not know how the Selective Service thing works?

What the hell people?!

This is really, really sad. Reading this thread was like watching that "Jaywalking" spot that Leno does. I can't believe how little, and how misinformed so many people are.

I got a thing in the mail right around when I turned 18. If they don't send you one, you an pick up the form at a post office.

We have such a large military right now that a draft is highly unlikely. They already have your Social Security information already anyway.

posted on Dec, 5 2012 @ 12:25 PM
link   
When I got mine, I tossed it out, I was ALREADY in the army LOL

posted on Dec, 5 2012 @ 12:35 PM
link   
reply to post by unityemissions

Okay, let me help explain something to you, since you seem lacking in recent, direct experience...... evidenced by calling me a liar for presenting the truth as I've experienced it.

First. There are two ways to attend College and above in the United States today. Only two. There is no third. period. End of story. Full Stop. You can 100% ..to the last penny....EVERYTHING...Self pay. In that case, you don't have to apply for FAFSA. My first Semester in college was handled that way, so I know that side from first hand experience of living it and within the last 2 years.

The other way...if you need even one thin DIME over your entire time in school..absolutely requires the full submission of background records to the FAFSA application process. Some schools outright demand that whether one claims self pay or not. Not necessarily taking the aid, but absolutely applying for it. My school was a fight that first semester, but by the second one, I saw their point.

Now, I'm in what is in the top 5 for cheapest schools in the state of Missouri. Literally. That's the factual ranking. I didn't choose it that way...but I happen to live miles from it so it worked out wonderfully. At that, I'm running $2,000 to $2,500 on per semester costs for JUST tuition, books and incidentals to show up on day 1 of class. Not a meal, drop of gas or classroom supply has been bought yet and that's where I'm at with the cheapest.

So, if you're independently wealthy, have plenty of luck on grants above Pell or scholarships....well, you're still applying to FAFSA on that basis.....because your not 100% TOTALLY and without question self cash paid, in full, every semester.

That is the TRUTH of how the system is working, as I've living IN it right now and seeing fellow students both thrive and be dropped FROM it for a variety of reasons. Others who are attending college right now certainly see variations of the same thing.

If after this, you figure I'm still lying? Links to back your opinions would be appreciated...or factual basis I can go back check and fact check. As it stands, what your presenting is in direct contradiction to my living reality week in and week out. I'll stand with what I've said on it. Thanks.

By the way.............. You're still justifying your giving advice to outright violate the federal laws as they stand today. You're telling people to destroy parts of their future in a direct cause/effect to how our system works....because you don't THINK it's worth doing. Well..... criminal acts are not open to opinions and it's as clear as glass on ignoring this being an outright actionable crime.

I can live with myself on the advice I offer folks.....this would be a tough one, given what following it would do to people.

edit on 5-12-2012 by Wrabbit2000 because: Mr Typo strikes again

posted on Dec, 5 2012 @ 12:39 PM
link   
reply to post by j.r.c.b.

Ask any military leader today and they will tell you a draft is as outmoded as a gramophone is to the digital age.
It's not just boots on the ground, they want skilled trained professionals. Lots of men and women trying to get in are turned away with the advice, "Go to a trade or technician school first. then come back and talk to us."

In today's battlefield if the government turned to Conscription they would take engineers and computer geeks before they would take a second look at an unskilled rifleman.

UAV's that's the future of combat

posted on Dec, 5 2012 @ 12:41 PM
link   
My bad, somehow I double posted
edit on 5-12-2012 by MajorMayhem because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 5 2012 @ 01:59 PM
link   
Hi. I also got one of these letters but mine was a little different. Note I've NEVER had any contact with any recruiting officer of any sort or had any ambition or desire to go into the military. I got an "Acknowledgement of Registration" Selective Service letter in the mail.

"Dear Registrant:
Please keep this letter or the wallet sized registration acknowledgement provided below as proof of your registration. Please review it carefully"

I did not register for anything. I'm confused, to say the least. Do they automatically sign you up nowadays? I'm not joking I have my own assigned "Selective Service Number" along with my SS #, address, dob, etc etc. I thought they sent you a letter asking you to register? I got automatically signed up??

posted on Dec, 5 2012 @ 02:05 PM
link   
I think mine was one of the first selective service registrations.I was REQUIRED to register on my 18th birthday in 1979.I forgot the threatened penalty at the time but thought the letter mentioned jail.

posted on Dec, 5 2012 @ 02:25 PM
link   
reply to post by j.r.c.b.

It says that if he does not register, he will no longer be considered a U.S. Citizen...WTH??

A little off topic but here's one way of dealing with it.

Yahoo! Contributor Network

* The 1980 date on Obama's Selective Service registration card was created by cutting the date 2008 to read just 08 and flipping it to make the 80 portion of 1980, according to the Arpaio investigators.

posted on Dec, 5 2012 @ 02:50 PM
link   
I received mine in 1996. I never filled it out and threw it in the garbage.

posted on Dec, 5 2012 @ 03:21 PM
link   
I did it when I was 18... my government teacher actually had us do it and gave us extra points if we brought in the letter they send when you do register.

You really don't have a choice short of becoming an expat. With out government though, being an expat is irrelevant to them. They still want your taxes then so I assume they still want your body for cannon fodder.

posted on Dec, 5 2012 @ 03:30 PM
link   
selective service?? I never knew all Americans were automatically enslaved into war by force. It all sounds rather barbaric to me, sexist too. Is there a reason women are exempt?
edit on 5-12-2012 by dmsuse because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 5 2012 @ 03:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by Ghost375

I already negated the last one. It's not going to happen. As for the first two. If they seek that. Fine. They can take the risk.

If you think this is about quantity of things, and not quality, fine. I refuse to go to war.

you didn't negate the last part, you just said it hasn't happened in a while.
That's far from the same thing as there being no risk. However unlikely, there is still the risk.

If you don't want to go to war, and good for you, refuse when there's a war and your name gets called the draft.
Just because you sign up doesn't mean you still can't get selected in the draft. Because as soon as a war is declared, you can bet they'll find out who didn't sign up pretty quickly.

posted on Dec, 5 2012 @ 03:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by Wrabbit2000

No. Only when that law is unconscienctious. You are free to feel it's bad advice, and "reckless"
I'm free to disagree

Nothing about the law in and of itself is unconscientious. If China attacks the US tomorrow, and tries to take us over, that's a time when going to war is ok. Vietnam, afghanistan and Iraq are examples of unconscientious wars.

You have to learn to pick your battles.

posted on Dec, 5 2012 @ 04:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by MystikMushroom
How can people not know how the Selective Service thing works?

What the hell people?!

This is really, really sad. Reading this thread was like watching that "Jaywalking" spot that Leno does. I can't believe how little, and how misinformed so many people are.

I got a thing in the mail right around when I turned 18. If they don't send you one, you an pick up the form at a post office.

We have such a large military right now that a draft is highly unlikely. They already have your Social Security information already anyway.

it's o.k. mystic, I already called myself stupid for not knowing anything about this...lol...really though, to be honest, I thought it was done automatically via drivers license...FYI- so great to see some old posters I haven't seen in a while. TY all for the education. Now I will know better when it comes time for my 11 & 8 yr. old sons turns..

posted on Dec, 5 2012 @ 05:14 PM
link   
Seriously, OP? You just about got your kid screwed out of all kinds of benefits in life, like the ability to get student aid. That's what happens when you don't register for the selective service. Did you really think school does *EVERYTHING*?

But oh well. We don't know what we don't know. I'm just dumbfounded by "I thought they did that at school". That's all. If its anything like my school, they probably also told him that condoms never work. School is one of the biggest conspiracies there is.

But the form is worthless. When they attempt to draft your son is when he should fight against it, no point in doing anything other than complying now. The benefits lost are too much to deal with and they would find him anyway without the form. Just show up to the draft and act flaming gay, you wont have anything to worry about lol.

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join