It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

U.S. Government Selective Service System form came today......

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 4 2012 @ 07:42 PM
link   
Imagine my surprise when my 20 YR. old opened his mail & received this letter today. It must be returned within 10 days, or "failure to register is a federal crime punishable by fine & imprisonment." It also has his SS # typed in. He is my first born son out of 3, & I had no idea he was supposed to register in case of a draft. I assumed they did all of these types of things in senior yr.. I found the timing to be odd. My question is, has anyone else received this letter recently? My son has no bank account, or credit card, but he does have a drivers license(he tries to fly under the radar, but is a good kid). Hope no one minds the forum I put this in & I did do a search, but came up empty....mods, please move this thread if necessary.....

posted on Dec, 4 2012 @ 07:47 PM
link   
reply to post by j.r.c.b.

I got mine when I was 18-19.. Can't remember.. They sent me another thing when I was 21 after leaving the Army.. I ignored that one.. I'm registered, but now I wonder if it really is the law? Too late now. Course I did get medical discharge, so I am probably not eligible for the first couple rounds anyway. Hahaha..

posted on Dec, 4 2012 @ 07:51 PM
link   
I registered Selective Service when I turned 18. I'm not sure if I'd have gotten a letter for ignoring it or not but I imagine I would have. The draft has been inactive since Vietnam....it doesn't mean the draft ever ended. Oh ..certainly not. It's alive and well. It's just sitting dormant and the Selective Service is the required sign-up to the draft pool if things ever went THAT badly for the nation.

I understand you can slip through the cracks and just fail to register entirely .....but applying for a government job for life or some benefits could get very interesting if someone bothered to check that status.

posted on Dec, 4 2012 @ 07:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by Dustytoad

I got mine when I was 18-19.. Can't remember.. They sent me another thing when I was 21 after leaving the Army.. I ignored that one.. I'm registered, but now I wonder if it really is the law? Too late now. Course I did get medical discharge, so I am probably not eligible for the first couple rounds anyway. Hahaha..

TY Dusty. It says that if he does not register, he will no longer be considered a U.S. Citizen...WTH?? The wording is very strong. How could he suddenly become a non- citizen? The boy was born in the hospital down the street! Our families have been here since the 1800's. I would like to know how someone can suddenly become a non-citizen, when BORN on U.S. soil??

posted on Dec, 4 2012 @ 07:55 PM
link   
see this

If you are a man ages 18 through 25 and living in the U.S., then you must register with Selective Service. It’s the law.

from this web site
selective service system

posted on Dec, 4 2012 @ 07:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by j.r.c.b.
Imagine my surprise when my 20 YR. old opened his mail & received this letter today. It must be returned within 10 days, or "failure to register is a federal crime punishable by fine & imprisonment." It also has his SS # typed in. He is my first born son out of 3, & I had no idea he was supposed to register in case of a draft. I assumed they did all of these types of things in senior yr.. I found the timing to be odd. My question is, has anyone else received this letter recently? My son has no bank account, or credit card, but he does have a drivers license(he tries to fly under the radar, but is a good kid). Hope no one minds the forum I put this in & I did do a search, but came up empty....mods, please move this thread if necessary.....

My youngest son received his a couple months ago. He graduated HS this past June. My older son also received his after graduation, but he'd already enlisted by that time anyway.

All US males are supposed to register within 30 days of 18th birthday. Nowadays they tie it into the eligibility for federal programs, student loans and federal employment. I see that question alot on job applications. It's also a question on my security clearance paperwork.

You can also register online.

posted on Dec, 4 2012 @ 07:56 PM
link   
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

TY Wrabbit...good to see you by the way, I did look it up, because I originally thought it was some type of scam. I just kept reading it over and over, then made some calls, and found out, it is indeed real. Wow, just never thought I would see such a letter, but if I think about it, guess I'm not too surprised.

posted on Dec, 4 2012 @ 08:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by hounddoghowlie
see this

If you are a man ages 18 through 25 and living in the U.S., then you must register with Selective Service. It’s the law.

from this web site
selective service system

Yep, & TY. I want him to just register through the site, but he insists on mailing it back...I better look it over before he mails it back. He seems against all things government, so I don't trust him to NOT, write something smart mouthy on the letter...

posted on Dec, 4 2012 @ 08:03 PM
link   

they are talking about immigrants.
this page may help.
Frequently Asked Questions

posted on Dec, 4 2012 @ 08:07 PM
link   

YW.... I've never personally understood the need for the Selective Service system per say because everything from drivers license records to the Social Security indexes already track and know who we are with far greater detail than that little postcard of a thing asks for. It's almost set up just to be a step forcing positive affirmation by the person for something they'll never be given a choice about anyway. ...and as you note, the penalties for those who sincerely and honestly fall through the cracks can be draconian as I'd think of the nature of..'oops...I didn't know"'.

High Schools ought to be outright required to handle this as a routine matter since it is federally mandated by law anyway, right?

posted on Dec, 4 2012 @ 08:08 PM
link   

here is how they may have got his name.

Why did I receive a registration reminder card at my home?
How did Selective Service get my name?
Selective Service got your name from one of the many lists used to identify people who may be eligible to register. It may have been a driver's license list from a state Department of Motor Vehicles, a list from a Federal or state agency such as the Department of Education, the Department of Homeland Security, the Department of Labor's Workforce Investment Act or Job Corps Program, the Department of Defense's recruiting list, or from a high school list.

posted on Dec, 4 2012 @ 08:09 PM
link   

Does that only go to boys because I never got one and neither did any of my sisters.

I answered my own question huh ?

It's late.

posted on Dec, 4 2012 @ 08:09 PM
link   

It says that if he does not register, he will no longer be considered a U.S. Citizen...WTH??

That statement there has gotten my briefs riding up my crack really hard! WHAT??? Sounds like a very illegal scare tactic IMO!!!

Oh so lets allow illegals into the country and role out the red carpet for them, but tell a US citizen that they will be without a country of origin if the didn't follow orders seems very wrong!!

posted on Dec, 4 2012 @ 08:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by seeker1963

It says that if he does not register, he will no longer be considered a U.S. Citizen...WTH??

That statement there has gotten my briefs riding up my crack really hard! WHAT??? Sounds like a very illegal scare tactic IMO!!!

Oh so lets allow illegals into the country and role out the red carpet for them, but tell a US citizen that they will be without a country of origin if the didn't follow orders seems very wrong!!

illegals are suppose to register too.

Are illegal alien males required to register?
Yes. All immigrant alien males, other than those admitted on nonimmigrant visas, must register, whether or not they have a green card. (See also Who Must Register - Chart.)

posted on Dec, 4 2012 @ 08:17 PM
link   
reply to post by hounddoghowlie

Yes, indeed. Selective Service is funny that way. It's like the IRS and professions. You can be a prostitute, drug dealer, contract killer..whatever floats your boat and they don't care. They aren't in that business to care...as long as whatever you go paid for it got it's appropriate tax paid. lol.....

So with SS, it doesn't matter what your status is if you're male and 18+ as a male living here by their definitions. Immigration won't be running ya down but the Army may some day if they need a hand.

posted on Dec, 4 2012 @ 08:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by j.r.c.b.

j.r.c.b. - I had no idea that registration was mandatory but on checking the internet, I found the following on registering for the Selective Service System:

As of April 2011, the United States government has not currently authorized a draft. A draft is necessary when a crisis occurs that requires more military troops than America's volunteer military can supply. The draft has not been active in America since 1973, however, all males living in America must register with the Selective Service System upon turning 18. Congress must pass legislation authorizing a draft which the President must then sign. In a draft, men aged 18 - 25 are selected by lottery for a 24-month service period in the military.

I also found this, which should provide some relief with the exception of the penalties for not registering. I would strongly recommend that he complete and submit the form and we'll all hope that nothing ever comes of it.

In the United States, most men between 18 and 25 years old are required to register with the Selective Service, more casually referred to as "the draft." However, a man registered with the Selective Service won't automatically be inducted into the military

Consequences

Failure to register before 26 years old can lead to five years in prison and up to $250,000 in fines (as of 2010). Even men who aren't prosecuted may find that many federal programs are no longer open to them. Federal financial-aid programs, federal job-training programs, federal jobs and U.S. citizenship all require registration with Selective Service.

That is a very scary form to receive, but it appears that it is standard and mandatory. I know that in my state, you are pulled for jury duty from voter registration records so it's not just driver's licenses that the government uses to track inidviduals.

As I said before, we will all hope and pray that nothing comes of this but being that the monetary penalties for non-compliance would not become applicable until one's 26th birthday, I wouldn't read too much into this too much if I were you. If something imminent was on the horizon, I'm sure that the laws would be revised to impose penalties much sooner.

Timidgal
edit on 12/4/2012 by timidgal because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 4 2012 @ 08:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by seeker1963

illegals are suppose to register too.

Are illegal alien males required to register?
Yes. All immigrant alien males, other than those admitted on nonimmigrant visas, must register, whether or not they have a green card. (See also Who Must Register - Chart.)

TY so much hound dog, your so helpful. Your correct. But, I actually didnt find that part out until I surfed around online. It's not as clear on the letter. If I can figure out a way to post the letter tomorrow, with his name and stuff blocked out, on the iPad, I will. Just so the peeps can read it, who have never seen such a letter, like myself...

posted on Dec, 4 2012 @ 08:22 PM
link   

I waited several months after my 18th before I finally registered - the same day I got a new ID. So no, I haven't gotten anything like that. Most likely, it has do to the fact that he's two years late in registering. There's a huge difference between 6 months and two years.

posted on Dec, 4 2012 @ 08:22 PM
link   

that's right the irs wants their cash and the military wants their troops.
doesn't matter what else you are.

just make sure you keep uncle sugar happy and things will go good for you in the good ol US of A

posted on Dec, 4 2012 @ 08:27 PM
link   

that's right the irs wants their cash and the military wants their troops.
doesn't matter what else you are.

just make sure you keep uncle sugar happy and things will go good for you in the good ol US of A

"Uncle sugar"..... To the other poster above, appreciate you posting all that info.....I must just be stupid because I really assumed this type of thing was done years ago. I don't know what I thought?? Geez, maybe I just assumed they did it automatically, by drivers license? I really had no idea you had to actually go out of your way to register to be drafted...

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join