It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Breaking News : Iran captures intruding US drone over Persian Gulf waters

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 4 2012 @ 01:34 AM
link   
PressTv

Iran's Islamic Revolution Guards Corps has captured a US ScanEagle drone over the Persian Gulf waters upon its intrusion into the Iranian airspace.

The country's Revolutionary Guards said it was a ScanEagle aircraft, according to Press TV. This is the second time , Iran has captured the US drone .

DETAILS TO FOLLOW

posted on Dec, 4 2012 @ 01:38 AM
link   
Give us our drones back!

posted on Dec, 4 2012 @ 01:39 AM
link   
Sweet! I remember how proud I was of myself the first time I captured a squirrel, but a drone?

It makes me wonder though, how exactly do you capture a drone? I mean it's not like they are setting up nets or anything. What are the techniques?

posted on Dec, 4 2012 @ 01:41 AM
link   
Things are heating up, I wonder how the U.S and others are going to respond to this.

SS

posted on Dec, 4 2012 @ 01:42 AM
link   
reply to post by SilentKoala

They hack into the system and force it to land in their territory

posted on Dec, 4 2012 @ 01:43 AM
link   
Interesting. I'll wait for the details, as there seems to be no other source for this. The Iranian government reporting they captured a drone? Well, maybe. But they're not the most reliable source.

posted on Dec, 4 2012 @ 01:44 AM
link   
Nothing will happen.

Like always.

posted on Dec, 4 2012 @ 01:46 AM
link   
www.bbc.co.uk...

ScanEagle Drone

posted on Dec, 4 2012 @ 01:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by SilentKoala
Sweet! I remember how proud I was of myself the first time I captured a squirrel, but a drone?

It makes me wonder though, how exactly do you capture a drone? I mean it's not like they are setting up nets or anything. What are the techniques?

It's funny that you said nets because that was the first mental image I had too heh. As to your question, you could disrupt communications probably. Or maybe disrupt airflow, I was on a flight to chicago and we came in a little too early behind another jet, I'm lucky to be alive. Who really knows tho, it's a remote control airplane on the other side of the earth, maybe it was battery failure for all we know.

posted on Dec, 4 2012 @ 01:49 AM
link   
reply to post by UltraMarine

The evidence of the RQ-170 points to an accident, not a hacking. The aircraft suffered damage on landing, which indicates that it might not have been under power at the time it landed, and certainly didn't have the landing gear down.

As for this, the ScanEagle is a small UAV, launched from a catapult, and captured by flying it into a wire and capturing it using a hook on the wingtip. It's a violent looking landing. That could easily be how they captured it. It uses a differential GPS to capture the cable, but it would be pretty easy, if you know what kind of UAV it is, to put something in the way and hook it. You could even do it from a helicopter if you were feeling risky enough.

posted on Dec, 4 2012 @ 01:50 AM
link   
BBC

The Revolutionary Guards said they had brought down a ScanEagle aircraft - one of the smaller, less sophisticated drones employed by the Americans.

Rear Admiral Ali Fadavi, quoted by the Fars news agency, said the drone had conducted several reconnaissance flights over the Gulf in recent days before being caught.

There has been no comment from the US.

The ScanEagle drone is a low-cost, long-endurance aircraft built by Insitu, a subsidiary of Boeing.

Rear Adm Fadavi said that "such drones are usually launched from large warships".

The Revolutionary Guards are an elite unit of the Iranian military which operate their own naval forces.

posted on Dec, 4 2012 @ 01:52 AM
link   
reply to post by UltraMarine

I am wondering if true, this just maybe a 'sacrificial drone'.

Surely the the US military intelligence is intelligent enough not to let this happen twice !??

posted on Dec, 4 2012 @ 01:55 AM
link   
Reuters

The ScanEagle drone was gathering information over Gulf waters and had entered Iranian airspace when it was captured by the naval unit of the Revolutionary Guards force, the Fars news agency reported, without giving details.

Last month the U.S. said Iranian warplanes shot at a U.S. surveillance drone flying in international airspace. Iran said the aircraft had entered its airspace.

The ScanEagle is manufactured by Boeing Co. According to the firm's website, the drone is four feet long and has a 10-foot (three-meter) wingspan.

posted on Dec, 4 2012 @ 01:56 AM
link   
Yes

Because Iran will not be another Iraq or Afghanistan

If Iran gets hits they will be destroyed, but they will drag the whole world down with them.

posted on Dec, 4 2012 @ 01:59 AM
link   
I say this is their plan. Let Iran gain confidence leading up to an attack and they wont see what was coming to them when sh*t gets real. Who knows though, Iran might just be THAT good.

posted on Dec, 4 2012 @ 02:00 AM
link   
reply to post by Timely

Drones or People? I think captured drones is the better outcome, especially when it comes to how Iranians deal with Americans or American Military. Second, we don't know where it was really captured. Over open water, in the Water,etc..............I sure wont take PressTV as a legitimate source.

posted on Dec, 4 2012 @ 02:03 AM
link   
reply to post by Zaphod58

That video looks like it was filmed in Ohio with a model aircraft. If this is modern drone technology, which we've spent billions on I'm sure, I find it lacking.

posted on Dec, 4 2012 @ 02:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by litterbaux
reply to post by Zaphod58

That video looks like it was filmed in Ohio with a model aircraft. If this is modern drone technology, which we've spent billions on I'm sure, I find it lacking.

Of course there is only ONE type of drone.. It would be silly to have multiple types.

Do you fear the reaper?

edit on 12/4/2012 by Dustytoad because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 4 2012 @ 02:11 AM
link   
reply to post by litterbaux

This is modern small UAV technology. There are a lot of UAVs out there, including this one IIRC that can be carried in a backpack, and assembled before launch. The catapults are so small that they are carried by two or three people, in pieces, and another carries the aircraft. You don't put wheels on them, to keep the size, and weight down, and the payload up. Just about all micro (hand launched in most cases) and small UAVs are either caught by a line in a similar fashion, or belly flop into the ground. There's even one that is designed to crash and break up into three pieces to absorb the energy of the impact, and keep everything intact. They are anything but lacking.

posted on Dec, 4 2012 @ 02:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by Zaphod58
reply to post by litterbaux

This is modern small UAV technology. There are a lot of UAVs out there, including this one IIRC that can be carried in a backpack, and assembled before launch. The catapults are so small that they are carried by two or three people, in pieces, and another carries the aircraft. You don't put wheels on them, to keep the size, and weight down, and the payload up. Just about all micro (hand launched in most cases) and small UAVs are either caught by a line in a similar fashion, or belly flop into the ground. There's even one that is designed to crash and break up into three pieces to absorb the energy of the impact, and keep everything intact. They are anything but lacking.

Maybe through this captured technology Allah will gift the coming Mahdi with the ability to bless the Islamic nations with nationwide G3 networks and ipads? ALLAHU ACKBAR!!!

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join