It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

3-D Printed Gun Only Lasts 6 Shots

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 4 2012 @ 01:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by bl4ke360
It would cost even more money to buy a 3d printer than an actual gun. And you still need to be over 18 to buy rounds anyway, like the poster above me said.

true but i think you aborted that thought process a little prematurely
how many could you make after the initial investment for the printer?
and as for the fact that its made of plastic and only lasts six rounds i need only point out that three dimensional printing of metals is already available and at a stage of development that would allow you to produce a lower reciever

posted on Dec, 4 2012 @ 01:44 AM
link   
Prices of these printers come down eventually. Its a great technology but printed items allready are violating copyrights. Also theprinters will come even better than they are now when you can actually make really hard stuff then guns etc will be even more dangerous..

For personal use to print own models out its a great, making own 3d models as a toys etc also might open new kind of markets.

Some restrictions are coming like when printing a gun shapes are installed in printers memory when printing is not available, but even then there are always hackers. Big companies which owns copyrights are allready on their toes with their copyrights.

posted on Dec, 4 2012 @ 01:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by WP4YT

3d printing is just a different way of making things that have already been possible to make for years.
edit on 4-12-2012 by WP4YT because: (no reason given)

not true with three dimensional printing you can produce single piece objects with internal structures which would be impossible with molding

posted on Dec, 4 2012 @ 01:49 AM
link   
reply to post by CaptainBeno

I get where you're coming from too and it would be a lot easier to get ammo than a gun. Walk into Wal Mart, have a buddy distract a worker and snag some off the shelf. They don't lock it up around here yet anyway.

I'm not going to be too worried until 3D printers get a lot more powerful though. Someone would have to fashion a barrel, bolt, trigger mechanism, upper receiver etc. Anyone capable of that could just go ahead and build a better gun cheaper at this point.

posted on Dec, 4 2012 @ 01:50 AM
link   
Would someone kindly print me up a black Lamborghini? Oh and a license because Mighigan took mine

posted on Dec, 4 2012 @ 01:51 AM
link   
reply to post by Domo1

yes they could build one cheaper ....build ONE cheaper (ok maybe more depending on the gun and the printer)
but you could produce as many as you want with the only cost being the energy usage and raw materials

if youre looking at producing more than one weapon it becomes far cheaper

edit on 4-12-2012 by sirhumperdink because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 4 2012 @ 01:52 AM
link   
IDK, im still a fan of taking material away from a block of metal, rather then hot melting some plastic dots together.

posted on Dec, 4 2012 @ 02:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by sylent6

Believe me, time and money isn't an issue to criminal organizations.

Isn't money the primary motivating factor for criminal organizations? You really think they just kill people for the fun of it?

posted on Dec, 4 2012 @ 02:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by sirhumperdink

3d printing is just a different way of making things that have already been possible to make for years.

not true with three dimensional printing you can produce single piece objects with internal structures which would be impossible with molding
but you are quite limited. Once you start printing you can't stop as the extruded plastic has to remain melted in a continuous stream as the print head moves around. I.e. all separate "structures" have to have a "bridge" between them

posted on Dec, 4 2012 @ 02:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by sirhumperdink

but you are quite limited. Once you start printing you can't stop as the extruded plastic has to remain melted in a continuous stream as the print head moves around. I.e. all separate "structures" have to have a "bridge" between them

many of the higher end printers dont use a plastic filament but rather use a fine powder which is heated in place and then brushed or blown away and in these you do not need a "bridge"

www.youtube.com...
same basic concept is used with plastic as well
edit on 4-12-2012 by sirhumperdink because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 4 2012 @ 02:28 AM
link   
Because it's not like 2 children are being shot a day in Chicago with metal guns.

In Chicago, nearly 700 children were hit by gunfire last year — an average of almost two a day — and 66 of them died. That number is up over the previous year, even though the overall number of homicides in Chicago fell last year to a 45-year low.

Oh jeez good news!

The weather is turning in Chicago. The snow has melted, and kids are beginning to spend more time outdoors. In some Chicago neighborhoods, that's dangerous.

=O

"When I got shot, it was no pretty sight to feel like. All I felt, it was burning in my whole right ribs," he says. "If I didn't get to the hospital in time, I would have been paralyzed all my life. I'm just glad to be here."

Well if it wasn't pretty and all "no pretty sight to feel like", well, I'm glad you're here as well.

Marcus thinks one of the gangs made good on its warning last summer, shooting him in his own yard, when he was taking out the garbage.

His garbage? Just no man, no. Those homosexuals.

"At first, I heard something fly past me," he says. "I was like, it wasn't nothing — so I kept on walking. The second time, it hit me."

It was something Markus, you took a bullet to the knee D

School officials also use data about the kids who have been shot in the past to look for traits they have in common, trying to identify the teenagers most at risk of becoming the next shooting victims.

Jeez, wonder if they're good runners.

The Chicago school system is spending close to $20 million on advocates and mentors to intervene in the lives of the few hundred kids it predicts have more than a 10 percent chance of being shot.

o.O

www.npr.org...

posted on Dec, 4 2012 @ 02:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by Domo1

Kids will be "printing" these suckers off and popping down to the local shop to purchase their rounds!

18+ to buy ammo and at that point they can just buy a gun. I suppose one could argue that criminals could print guns, but considering how easy it already is to pick one up there would be no real point.

Could the ammo not be printed also?

posted on Dec, 4 2012 @ 03:00 AM
link   
We are still years away from 3D printers being able to churn out metal at a reasonable price where the average consumer can access them. What really is going to be a boon is that between the previous point and the current state of 3D printing you will see a rise in the number of companies producing firearms, which given how poor the economy has been lately more companies means more jobs and can potentially drive down the costs of firearms (which is currently super-freaking-heated thanks to the re-election of Obama). The place where this could be properly devastating to the industry is in the accessory market, a lot of the accessories that you find on modern firearms can be safely made from plastic so these advances could put a serious squeeze on companies like Magpul for example who makes some of the finest AR pattern magazines on the market by letting people create knockoffs with a high degree of accuracy for a fraction of the cost.

posted on Dec, 4 2012 @ 03:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by CthulhuMythos

Originally posted by Domo1

Kids will be "printing" these suckers off and popping down to the local shop to purchase their rounds!

18+ to buy ammo and at that point they can just buy a gun. I suppose one could argue that criminals could print guns, but considering how easy it already is to pick one up there would be no real point.

Could the ammo not be printed also?

No, gunpowder is not made of plastic.

posted on Dec, 4 2012 @ 05:15 AM
link   
Once you get all the equipment you could supply a small army in a few days. You only need 1 shot to get your point across. This is going to be a really bad idea. You can simply just melt the evidence.

posted on Dec, 4 2012 @ 06:40 AM
link   
reply to post by WP4YT

Making a gun out of a mould is a hell of a lot harder. Try it and see.

posted on Dec, 4 2012 @ 08:11 AM
link   
Would have been cheaper and stronger to just drill a lower from a block of aluminum.

Thats what I dont get about this "3D printing" craze. For less than the cost of one of these things you can set up a CNC mill and make bigger, stronger things for cheaper.

I guess the idea is that to simply print you dont need to know anything more than how to click "Print" ?

posted on Dec, 4 2012 @ 08:40 AM
link   
Consider that advanced (hi-def) printers have firmware that can recognize and block it from printing currency, as does Photoshop (since version 7) - it won't be long before the federal government require 3D printer manufacturer's install firmware that can recognize and prevent the 'printing' of firearms.

posted on Dec, 4 2012 @ 08:57 AM
link   
Oh good hell.
They printed the lower to an AR15.
What does that mean? They still had to have a METAL barrel, METAL bolt, METAL chamber and so on.
Guns,as of now, and in the future, will still need metal components, as the expansion of gases and expelling a round will not work within the plastics realm.

Ammo will not be printed either. You still need a primer and smokeless gun powder.
A plastic or Printed projectile will not operate in the same manner as a lead/steel/mixture of round.

I guess I could just buy a cheap 3d printer, and print a high end 3d printer if operating under any of this stupid gun logic.

edit on 4-12-2012 by macman because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 4 2012 @ 09:00 AM
link   
reply to post by SilentKoala

No, no they don't.

Avatars with a Japanese cartoon, shooting a .50 Cal Rifle causes lower crime rates.

Please, go do your research, instead of regurgitating talking points from the Brady Camp and Code Pink.

Also, please look at States with strict gun laws and their crime rates (Think Illinois and California) as opposed to States with less restrictive laws.

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join