It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

3-D Printed Gun Only Lasts 6 Shots

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 4 2012 @ 09:33 AM
link   
loling hard at the bullets/gunpowder nonsense

that's passe

like building a log cabin
using concrete cylinders

same difference
instead of bullets
just printout flechettes or sabots
spray a little teflon on the tips...

oh and the gun itself would be a coilgun type
like these

more powerfull one

can't wait to have a 3d printer i'd print out a pair of these
[3d printed goodies show up at 00:40 sec.]

preliminary designs in the making

instead of fearing technology you should embrace it
and make it your b*tch

posted on Dec, 4 2012 @ 09:34 AM
link   
reply to post by thisguyrighthere

the idea is that eventually this technology will be much cheaper, much faster, produce far less waste, and allow for production of things that a cnc mill could never do
an example would be a klein bottle en.wikipedia.org... ...completely impossible to produce a klein bottle in a single piece on a cnc but fairly easy with a 3d printer (not an object with a whole lot of practical applications but there are plenty and im sure you can think of some)
eventually you will also be able to use multiple materials and some time in the future may be able to print everything from a replacement knob to a pair of shoes to a ham sandwich (probably not anytime real soon though haha)
edit on 4-12-2012 by sirhumperdink because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 4 2012 @ 09:42 AM
link   
Zip guns have been around for a while. This is just a high tech way of doing the same thing. Drugs are illegal too. I heard somewhere that they aren't all that hard to obtain. Just sayin.

posted on Dec, 4 2012 @ 10:30 AM
link   
reply to post by Domo1

18+ to buy ammo and at that point they can just buy a gun. I suppose one could argue that criminals could print guns, but considering how easy it already is to pick one up there would be no real point.

Print the gun, print bullets. Print more bullets. Print more pullets. Print more bullets. Print a bigger gun. Print more bullets. Print the necessary components for a rocket launcher, the missiles, and then assemble. Congratulations, you've successfully completed your Home-Based Instant Militia kit.

posted on Dec, 4 2012 @ 10:48 AM
link   
At some point in the future our technology is going to become so advanced that creating a gun will be as simple as microwaving a meal. A few minutes and it will be ready to go, and no one will be able to do anything about it because the technology will be very widespread, nor will it be possible to ban 3D printing technology because it's practical applications are so far reaching and important. The same thing will happen with drugs and almost everything that's illegal. Our technology will reach a point where it's extremely simple to brew up some narcotics and no one will be able to stop it because the technology will be so widespread and so easy to acquire, nor will it be possible to ban home chemical lab technology because the practical applications will be so far reaching and important.

I think this raises some very interesting philosophical points. Of course, we can make it illegal to print guns, but that wont be very helpful, because criminals are still going to do it regardless of what rules you put in place. When something illegal becomes so easy to do the only solution is to make it not illegal. In reality there's nothing inherently immoral about printing a gun, or even creating drugs. The ethical problem occurs when you use the weapon or drug to cause other beings harm or loss. Blaming the weapon instead of the person becomes completely pointless when the weapon is as easy to acquire as a knife. Who blames the knife when a person is stabbed? No one right? Because knives are everywhere, we can't blame them, we blame the deranged people who use them to kill.

posted on Dec, 4 2012 @ 11:02 AM
link   
Hold on one sec. Ive got a 6 shooter Ive gotta print. haha Those guns are wild. Id like to see how accurate they actually are.

posted on Dec, 4 2012 @ 11:22 AM
link   
"Printers don't kill people, people kill people."

"You can have my printer when you pry it from my cold, dead hands."

Doesn't seem to have the same ring to it.

posted on Dec, 4 2012 @ 11:32 AM
link   
Correct me if I'm wrong, but theoretically, if you can even print out tools like the crescent wrench that work, then you can also print out machetes or knives that can stab and cut and kill, and metal detectors can't detect them?

Not to mention printing out all kinds of things that can be used to harm such as biological or chemical mist dispersal systems and whatever else you can think of.

That is some promising but also incredibly dangerous technology.

posted on Dec, 4 2012 @ 11:44 AM
link   
reply to post by Domo1

I'm thinking the price point of a 3D printer is FAR higher than the price-point for a cheap 380 off the street. Probably by a few orders of magnitude.

Good point, Domo.

posted on Dec, 4 2012 @ 12:05 PM
link   
Dont get me wrong I am as much as Pro Gun as the next American. But Im not to sure this is a good Idea.

Originally posted by CaptainBeno
A group of 3-D printing gunsmiths have taken another step toward making a gun you can download off the internet. This weekend, the desktop weaponeers took a partially printed rifle out to test how long its plastic parts survived spewing bullets. The result? Six rounds until it snapped apart.

posted on Dec, 4 2012 @ 12:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by fedeykin
Correct me if I'm wrong, but theoretically, if you can even print out tools like the crescent wrench that work, then you can also print out machetes or knives that can stab and cut and kill, and metal detectors can't detect them?

You mean like a piece of plexi glass or any other rigid plastic ground down?

Not to mention printing out all kinds of things that can be used to harm such as biological or chemical mist dispersal systems and whatever else you can think of.

Like a six pack of generic spray bottles from the dollar store?

Investing the time and resources into printing either would be a grossly inefficient undertaking.

posted on Dec, 4 2012 @ 12:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by AfterInfinity
reply to post by Domo1

18+ to buy ammo and at that point they can just buy a gun. I suppose one could argue that criminals could print guns, but considering how easy it already is to pick one up there would be no real point.

Print the gun, print bullets. Print more bullets. Print more pullets. Print more bullets. Print a bigger gun. Print more bullets. Print the necessary components for a rocket launcher, the missiles, and then assemble. Congratulations, you've successfully completed your Home-Based Instant Militia kit.

I don't think you realize how expensive that would be, that would cost far more than just going to the store and buying real guns. The plastic printing material needed to print a tiny piece of plastic is hundreds of dollars. And as I already pointed out, 3d printers can't print bullets because gunpowder isn't made of plastic, and missiles aren't made of plastic either. I'm not sure what makes you think plastic would work as an explosive material in a missile. With your faulty logic you might as well have said people can print their own nuclear bombs.
How about you start using your head a little bit before posting.
edit on 12/4/2012 by bl4ke360 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 4 2012 @ 12:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by fedeykin

Or you just just pull a knife out from your silverware drawer in your kitchen so I don't see your point. And if someone wanted a nonmetal knife they could just buy one, which again would be far cheaper than printing one.

posted on Dec, 4 2012 @ 12:15 PM
link   
Industrial replicators will be next a la "Star Trek."
2nd

posted on Dec, 4 2012 @ 01:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by sylent6
reply to post by WP4YT

I can see a one shot, one kill with this. Lets just say an disposable pistol for those little hitmen running around out there.

This is something to keep and eye on.

In what world does a hitman not already have access to a gun that he can dispose of easily afterwards?

Also, what people fail to recognize about this video, is that they only printed a lower receiver. (Which are only about $100) and accessible anywhere on the internet already, and comes with all of the little metal parts that can't be printed anyways.

www.itstactical.com...

Lower Receiver

Spike’s Tactical ST-15 Stripped Lower (Members click here for the ITS Logo Engraved Lower!)
Stag Arms Lower Parts Kit
Stag Arms Ambi Safety Selector
KNS Non-Rotating Pin Set
IKICKHIPPIES SLAP Plate (Sling Plate)
BCM Receiver Extension Nut (Castle Nut)
BCM Milspec Receiver Extension (Buffer Tube)
Carbine Action Spring
H Carbine Buffer
Magpul MOE Stock (Mil-Spec Model)
Magpul MOE Pistol Grip
Magpul MOE Trigger Guard

Upper Receiver

Bravo Company USA Upper Receiver
Bravo Company 14.5 Mid Length Barrel
Alternatively you can purchase the BCM Upper Receiver Group we’ll be building pre-assembled here
Bravo Company USA Bolt Carrier Group (MPI)
BCMGunfighter Charging Handle Mod 4
Daniel Defense 9″ LITE Rail
Battle Comp 1.5 Compensator
Magpul XT Rail Panels
Magpul AFG
Magpul MBUS – Rear
Midwest Industries MCTAR-TS

I have never built a rifle, can someone tell me how many of these parts are mostly metal/springs/barrels and can't be printed?

posted on Dec, 4 2012 @ 01:37 PM
link   
reply to post by bl4ke360

Instead of using your head, how about using your imagination.

Here and now the technology is quite basic and expensive for the domestic market, but then again, so was the inkjet printer when they hit the shops. It twenty years time what if the plastic has been replaced by metal and the resolution is so good it feels as smooth as a babys bum?

And on a different note, what about countries with tight gun control? That would go out the window.

posted on Dec, 4 2012 @ 01:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by Knobby

And on a different note, what about countries with tight gun control? That would go out the window.

If those countries want to ban guns then couldn't they ban 3d printers as well?

posted on Dec, 4 2012 @ 02:20 PM
link   
reply to post by bl4ke360

The depths of human depravity knows no bounds.

I think the idea of a worldwide ban would be a good idea, but I know that's not going to happen.

Just imagine the time when you would be able to create just about anything?

posted on Dec, 4 2012 @ 02:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by Knobby

Just imagine the time when you would be able to create just about anything?

That would be nice, it's a concept called freedom.

posted on Dec, 4 2012 @ 02:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by CaptainBeno
A group of 3-D printing gunsmiths have taken another step toward making a gun you can download off the internet. This weekend, the desktop weaponeers took a partially printed rifle out to test how long its plastic parts survived spewing bullets. The result? Six rounds until it snapped apart.

www.wired.com...

Well, it had to happen sooner rather than later.

Not "loving" guns I think this is a nightmare waiting to happen.

Kids will be "printing" these suckers off and popping down to the local shop to purchase their rounds! Hey, it only takes one in the head to make your point.

What next? 3D printer licences.....um, no.

oh awesome i hadnt thought this would be possible thanks for bringing it to my attention that it is indeed viable, all we need to do now is get stronger material perhaps a teflon coating will do the trick,

thx

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join