It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

3-D Printed Gun Only Lasts 6 Shots

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 4 2012 @ 02:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by sylent6
reply to post by WP4YT

Tell that to the drug cartels and terrorist.

Believe me, time and money isn't an issue to criminal organizations.

Last time I checked criminals such as terrorists and drug cartels had connections to old military surplus guns and Eric Holder.
If you think for a second criminals are going to waste their time with 3D printing of guns, you give criminals way too much credit.

posted on Dec, 4 2012 @ 02:51 PM
link   
reply to post by jessejamesxx

All of the fire control parts in an AR15 are metal, as well as the bolt carrier group, the barrel, the recoil spring, and the buffer and tube assembly. Other than those key critical parts you could substitute the rest with plastic as some manufacturers have done to cut corners and produce a more cost effective but lower quality rifle.

posted on Dec, 4 2012 @ 02:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by bl4ke360

Originally posted by sylent6

Believe me, time and money isn't an issue to criminal organizations.

Isn't money the primary motivating factor for criminal organizations? You really think they just kill people for the fun of it?
money and control, hmmmm funny it seems governments are the same way, isnt THAT ironic

posted on Dec, 4 2012 @ 03:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by macman
reply to post by SilentKoala

No, no they don't.

Avatars with a Japanese cartoon, shooting a .50 Cal Rifle causes lower crime rates.

Please, go do your research, instead of regurgitating talking points from the Brady Camp and Code Pink.

Also, please look at States with strict gun laws and their crime rates (Think Illinois and California) as opposed to States with less restrictive laws.

uhhhm i think you just disagreed with someone who agreed with you, doesnt that mean you are disagreeing with yourself? he IS saying that strict gun laws mean higher crime rates, as are you, by pointing out californias strict gun laws and high crime rates,............

posted on Dec, 4 2012 @ 03:03 PM
link   
I personally do not think that printing functional guns is an issue, at least not in the near future. The problem is the government and the media, this is what will happen.

1. Kids start copying each other printer basic parts like handles
2. Kid gets arrested with a lump of plastic barely in the shape of a gun
3. Media jumps on the story reporting "BREAKING NEWS: 12 Year old arrested after building gun with a legal 3d printer!"
4. Ridiculous reports will start cropping up like "Iran building nuke with 3D printer!"
5. 3D printers will become synonymous with terrorists, violence and crazy people
6. Government will jump in and save everyone by creating a scheme to limit 3d printer use whilst also taking our money.

Bare in mind this tech is taking a while to develop, there is plenty of time for idiots to start tainting the tech. It is a shame but weapons will always be the focus of the sensationalist media. It does not matter if the printer cannot create the metal parts, they can just leave that out of the report.

posted on Dec, 4 2012 @ 03:10 PM
link   
reply to post by OwenGP185

of course the media focuses on weapons, they want to remove them from the planet, and unfortunatly they can only acheive motivating governments to remove them from the hands of law abiding citizens because as any moron would know a criminal that wants a weapon dont give a # what the government has to say about it and will get it anyway

its amazing that we still have people in this world who think outlawing something will prevent a criminal from using it.

its amazing that in this country we still have people who want the government to protect them, a country in which the governmnet IS SUPPOSED TO BE THE PEOPLE THEMSELVES (by the people of the people for the people)
edit on 12/4/12 by pryingopen3rdeye because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 4 2012 @ 03:32 PM
link   
Leave it to humans to take such amazing tech and use it to make...... guns.....

Dah well - have not lost hope.

3D printing is AWESOME OPOSSUM.

Wish I could afford one to make my own toys.

MakerBOT is a cheaper version but I've heard you have to put it together yourself - which can be a pain. The resolution isnt so great either.

posted on Dec, 4 2012 @ 03:36 PM
link   
I haven't read this whole thread yet, so I would assume this has already been posted, but:

You can make a zip gun out of a car antenna or plumbing parts. Real easy. Don't see that happening too often, though, do ya?

posted on Dec, 4 2012 @ 03:40 PM
link   
can you use a 3d printer to make yourself another 3d printer.

because then that would be cool.

posted on Dec, 4 2012 @ 03:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by randomname

That would rip the fabric of space time wide open.

posted on Dec, 4 2012 @ 03:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by thisguyrighthere

That would rip the fabric of space time wide open.

Really? Well look it up because most of the printers now days can re-print themselves, the Reprap's for instance. A few odd parts still need to be bought but I think a good 70% can be reprinted and sold of to be used again. It is very cool, I have been holding off for a good couple of years as I am waiting to the technology to advance, that is why it annoys me to see people producing guns.

posted on Dec, 4 2012 @ 03:55 PM
link   

Printers have electronics and circuits in them, which require conductors and many other types material, and since they only print plastic, printing another printer would be impossible.

posted on Dec, 4 2012 @ 04:29 PM
link   
Look people, the trouble isnt with guns being printed at all.....
Its the fact that one will be able to print out a lot of stuff he had to buy before....
China, and the Big Box Stores are gonna get uptight about it......
This is just the start of the new age stuff youll be seeing come out in the next five years......
We are going to make a lot of purchases very unnessessary with this.....
I cant wait till the plastics get really tough though....!

posted on Dec, 4 2012 @ 05:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by macman
Oh good hell.
They printed the lower to an AR15.
What does that mean? They still had to have a METAL barrel, METAL bolt, METAL chamber and so on.
Guns,as of now, and in the future, will still need metal components, as the expansion of gases and expelling a round will not work within the plastics realm.

Ammo will not be printed either. You still need a primer and smokeless gun powder.
A plastic or Printed projectile will not operate in the same manner as a lead/steel/mixture of round.

I guess I could just buy a cheap 3d printer, and print a high end 3d printer if operating under any of this stupid gun logic.

edit on 4-12-2012 by macman because: (no reason given)

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
This

The headline is very misleading.

THEY DID NOT PRINT A FULLY FUNCTIONAL RIFLE!

They printed the lower receiver of an AR-15. For those that don't know, you can think of this as the base or frame that all of the other parts of the gun bolt to - The AR-15 is like the Erector set of rifles...
Now, the lower receiver that they printed is considered a "gun" by the ATF as it is the only part that requires a background check when purchasing from a dealer. But for our purposes is just a chunk of metal that other things bolt to... see below

I suppose that someone who couldn't pass a background check could print one of these and assemble a rifle as all of the other parts can be ordered off the internet and sent directly to your house. But they could also do the same with a lower made on a CNC (or manual) milling machine which have been around since long before the AR-15 was created...

Many states allow private party sales of firearms with no background check required - this would be much easier and cheaper than building your own receiver and then hoping that it works for more than a few shots...

All of this hype is over nothing...

posted on Dec, 4 2012 @ 05:56 PM
link   
reply to post by CommandoJoe

Did it mention "FULLY FUNCTIONAL RIFLE" in the title?

posted on Dec, 4 2012 @ 06:09 PM
link   
Yes you can print 3D printers from a 3D printer.
You can do a lot of things with 3D printers.

3D printers are just cheaper easier to use CNC machines.

What makes you think these "criminals" aren't using CNC machines to manufacture weapons?
Wait... They probably are!

Fact of the matter is this; Criminals will ALWAYS possess what they shouldn't by Government statutes and acts.

posted on Dec, 4 2012 @ 06:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by CaptainBeno

Did it mention "FULLY FUNCTIONAL RIFLE" in the title?

It didn't use those exact words, no, they were mine - "3-D Printed Gun Only Lasts 6 Shots". This title implies they printed a gun - they didn't, they only printed the lower receiver.
I was just letting everyone who assumed they printed a fully functional rifle (Most of the replies in this thread...) know that is not the case...

posted on Dec, 4 2012 @ 06:28 PM
link   
You need to know that the Phasers in Star Trek and many other SIFI movies are basically the same . SLS , SLA or simular methods. So really they have been making weapons with 3D printers for many years they just never called them 3D printers

posted on Dec, 4 2012 @ 06:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by Sovaka
Yes you can print 3D printers from a 3D printer.
You can do a lot of things with 3D printers.

3D printers are just cheaper easier to use CNC machines.

What makes you think these "criminals" aren't using CNC machines to manufacture weapons?
Wait... They probably are!

Probably not very many - The type of person that has access to and would use a CNC to build a gun is a someone that likes to tinker and understand the inner workings of stuff. The typical criminal just wants something that will go bang and will buy it on the street, or have someone else buy it for him if he can't pass a background check.

Fact of the matter is this; Criminals will ALWAYS possess what they shouldn't by Government statutes and acts.

Absolutely! It doesn't matter how many laws you pass, criminals don't follow the law...

posted on Dec, 4 2012 @ 06:46 PM
link   

It's not a matter of access.
Anyone with access to the internet can get plans to build a CNC.
It's quite easy to do.

Like a 3D printer, once a CNC machine is built, all you need are the base materials to print/build what ever you want

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join