It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Doomsday 2012 Will NOT Happen: NASA Panel Debunks Theories

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 2 2012 @ 04:45 PM
link   

NASA Takes on 2012 Doomsday Hokum

www.pcmag.com...

NASA wants us all to know that it feels very confident in predicting that the world won't end in 2012, despite what we may have read on the Internet.

"Contrary to some of the common beliefs out there, Dec. 21, 2012 won't be the end of the world as we know it. However, it will be another winter solstice," NASA associates behind a new website called Beyond 2012 wrote Wednesday in a Google+ post.

Beyond 2012 is dedicated to debunking such pseudo-science. There is no Nibiru or Planet X that's been observed by astronomers and if they really were on a path to hit the Earth in a couple weeks, they'd be visible to the naked eye by now. Eris "is real, but it is a dwarf planet similar to Pluto that will remain in the outer solar system; the closest it can come to Earth is about 4 billion miles," the site explains.

The Beyond 2012 social page also links to video of a recent Google+ hangout (see it below) in which a panel of scientists takes on specific 2012 doomsday claims and explains why they're so much bunk.

Panelists included:
Mitzi Adams, a solar/archaeoastronomer from NASA's Marshall Space Flight Center;
Andrew Fraknoi, a science educator from Foothill College in Los Altos Hills, Calif.;
Lika Guhathakurta, a heliophysicist from NASA Headquarters;
Paul Hertz, an astrophysicist from NASA Headquarters;
David Morrison, an astrobiologist from NASA's Ames Research Center; and
Don Yeomans, an asteroid scientist from NASA's Jet Propulsion Laboratory.

At the beginning of the discussion, Morrison said that while 2012 doomsday theories were "a joke to many people" and there was no real imminent threat to the Earth, it was nevertheless "appropriate for NASA to answer questions" from individuals taking such talk seriously, if only to ease their fears and in some cases, prevent them from harming themselves..

posted on Dec, 2 2012 @ 04:48 PM
link   
Now whether you still hold onto your beliefs from what you read and hear from others on the internet, that is up to you to decide what will happen on Winter Solstice 2012.

I for one don't believe in the 2012 Doomsday. There is not enough evidence to prove that the results of so many theories will come to fruition. Climate change is happening, yes, this is true. But the conspiracies behind it are only theories.

Like I said, this was a Q&A panel discussion, now whether you believe these guys or not is up to you. Either you wake up or you follow the Doomsday dreams of others.

posted on Dec, 2 2012 @ 04:53 PM
link   
Does it strike anyone as odd that NASA is going so far out of their way to debunk dec 21?

If nothing is going to happen, why bother acknowledging it at all?

This has me concerned.

posted on Dec, 2 2012 @ 05:00 PM
link   
reply to post by xxshadowfaxx

You plant the seed in children's head that the world will end this year and or in a future year and the world will become more chaotic and the human species will destroy themselves.

I am glad that NASA is actually taking steps to protect us from either truth or fiction.

posted on Dec, 2 2012 @ 05:04 PM
link   
reply to post by Skywatcher2011

Oh a government agency said there is nothing to worry about so it has to be true... nothing to see here, move along.

posted on Dec, 2 2012 @ 05:05 PM
link   
Good post. There is another one stating the complete opposite. NASA has debunked the claim given on the other one.

Not all government agencies are conspiracies and I trust NASA much more than I trust someone with a telescope in their backyard and a computer.

Now that I know what a S&F is, I'll give you one.

posted on Dec, 2 2012 @ 05:06 PM
link   
OK, It won't let me give a flag but I give you a star.

I'll have to read those instructions again.

posted on Dec, 2 2012 @ 05:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by HowSoYouSay

Not all government agencies are conspiracies and I trust NASA much more than I trust someone with a telescope in their backyard and a computer.

This I will agree with you on. There are many people trying to get attention by spreading fallacies around the internet. Parts may be true while others are false.

In today's world, how can we tell for sure what will happen. Though it is true that history repeats itself, the question we are all trying to answer is WHEN will the next major event rock this planet. So far it is all prediction and patience.

posted on Dec, 2 2012 @ 05:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by xxshadowfaxx
Does it strike anyone as odd that NASA is going so far out of their way to debunk dec 21?

This has me concerned.

Beat me to it!
i was wondering the same thing, there seems to be a lot of Nasa interest on the 2012 scenarios.why?

i also when Nasa was able to predict the future? when man kind can barely predict the weather

edit on 2-12-2012 by christafinias because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 2 2012 @ 05:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by xxshadowfaxx

This has me concerned.

Btw, if you were a space research agency and many people were spreading lies about your research I would assume you would step up and debunk claims against you, right?

This is what NASA is doing...to calm the mass hysteria about Doomsday 2012.

posted on Dec, 2 2012 @ 05:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by christafinias

i also when Nasa was able to predict the future? when man kind can barely predict the weather

You can thank NASA for helping to launch satellites into orbit used for weather predicting models and storm tracking. Just saying

edit on 2-12-2012 by Skywatcher2011 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 2 2012 @ 05:15 PM
link   

I am glad that NASA is actually taking steps to protect us from either truth

Skywatcher, you should not be glad. Those who view us as a bunch of dangerous children, are the ones who are the mentaly challenged, and profoundly dangerous. Please re think about yourself as a capable grownup, versus the mindlessly tyrannical.

posted on Dec, 2 2012 @ 05:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by Saucerwench

I am glad that NASA is actually taking steps to protect us from either truth

Skywatcher, you should not be glad. Those who view us as a bunch of dangerous children, are the ones who are the mentaly challenged, and profoundly dangerous. Please re think about yourself as a capable grownup, versus the mindlessly tyrannical.

Mind you I am keeping my posts strictly related to this topic of Doomsday and only this.

I don't believe EVERYTHING NASA has to say. I do believe there are major things NASA is keeping from us, for example LIFE on other planets, UFO's, etc...

This is just the tip of the iceberg discussion.

Btw, who are you to tell me what to do or think? I have my own beliefs about what is true and isn't. You should know this from your own experience.

posted on Dec, 2 2012 @ 05:20 PM
link   
As the accepted authority on space related matters, it is NASA's job to step up and dispell the hoax and rumor type things involving it. I would question why they wouldn't step up and say something.

posted on Dec, 2 2012 @ 05:28 PM
link   
Well they didn't really do a good job.

The Mayan is astrology, not astonomy, and the arrangements in astrology are not just lineups of planets/stars, but configurations/patterns.

That day is a kind of celestrial cross that involves the rift.

But you see we don't undertand stargates and astrology to begin with, its not really horroscopes.

But the problem is that a small group of dark hats are using technology to amp up any cosmic events and they are trying to pull off some major cataclysms, and already have. They use underwater nukes and scalar wave technology.

We don't need to debunk them, we need to stop them

______beforeitsnews/space/2012/11/noaa-scientists-on-high-alert-for-2013-solar-maximum-video-2450044.html

Nasa is predicting lots of sun flares and activity 2013 by the way.

posted on Dec, 2 2012 @ 05:46 PM
link   
reply to post by Unity_99

Thanks for the link.

Btw, this video discussing NASA's accurate prediction of the solar maximum experienced in 2012 July was good.

Hence, if anything major was going to happen, I am sure a whistle blower from NASA would come out. (But not an actor like Dr. Sal...see below)

Proven Hoax From an Internet Actor

posted on Dec, 2 2012 @ 05:48 PM
link   

So if the ideas of what is supposed to happen on the 21st don't happen, will that cause people to disbelieve what they have put all the energy into learning and believing for all this time? Will astrology cease to exist if it turns out to be false?

posted on Dec, 2 2012 @ 05:50 PM
link   
there was never anything to debunk

the mayans never said "end of the world"

that was some wacko selling books about nemisis or whatever

lol at the internet

posted on Dec, 2 2012 @ 06:01 PM
link   
reply to post by syrinx high priest

NASA is debunking the bunkers!

posted on Dec, 2 2012 @ 06:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by HowSoYouSay

So if the ideas of what is supposed to happen on the 21st don't happen, will that cause people to disbelieve what they have put all the energy into learning and believing for all this time? Will astrology cease to exist if it turns out to be false?

nah! they'll just conveniently remeber that the georgian calender is 12 years behind and start all this crap over for 2024.
i don't have any idea of what the number '24' means in occcultist's circles but it's got to be at least twice as bad as '12'.
ha-ha

top topics

<<   2 >>

join