It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Teacher's Reward Program Charges Second-Graders for Bathroom Breaks

page: 6
<< 3  4  5   >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 4 2012 @ 11:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by DarthMuerte

Are you kidding me? The school has told the teacher to stop charging kids to go to the bathroom, but plans no disciplinary action. This kid has been humiliated in front of his friends and classmates. She needs an unpaid suspension and should be forced to make a public apology. Maybe make her wear urine soaked clothing for an entire school day? This is why I absolutely despise teachers unions. She needs to be punished, but her union will protect her. Totally disgusting.

www.nbcdfw.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

A little harsh there aren't you? First... she made a mistake... ok fine. Everyone makes those in their profession. She thought she'd be doing a good thing teaching kids to hold themselves. I do it with my kids at least once a month when we travel. So what?

Humiliated him? No... secondly... I don't know what school system your children are in, but my first grader and kindergartener children both must have a change of clothes at school just in case this happens. My son soiled his pants last week, he came home with this replacement clothes on. Next day, we sent new clothes back with him for storage.

This is not a big deal. Yes, the teacher made a mistake, but she most likely learned from it already.

posted on Dec, 4 2012 @ 03:50 PM
link   
reply to post by DarthMuerte

This is a common occurrence. I have seen it happen many times over the years while helping out at the public schools where my children attended class.

I watched as a preschool instructor at the public school told a little boy that he could not go to use the restrooms, not until the other kids return, she told him. He stood right in front of her holding the front of his pants, doing what I call the pee pee dance, until he couldn't it any longer. All the kids in the class began to laugh at him. He just stood there and cried. The teacher then sent him to the bathroom, as if that was going to help.

I spoke with the teacher afterwards and informed her that she was wrong for not allowing him to go use the restroom. She did not appear to agree with me, she voiced her opinion and then requested that I know longer assist in her class. So, I spoke with the school Principal, who felt she had done nothing wrong. I then phoned CPS and reported the incident.

While in first grade, my daughter and another girl had raised their hand to go use the restroom during gym class. The teacher told them both to put their hands down and keep quiet until she was through talking, Well, a few minutes later both my daughter and the other girl could hold it any longer. I got a call from the school nurse, who informed me that my daughter had had an accident.

After that incident, I instructed both my children to forget about the teacher and go use the restroom, that I would make sure their teacher did not penalize them for a potty break.

I honestly believe that some public schools are worse than prisons. They have no doors, toilet paper or soap in the bathrooms. The children can't pee when they need to, unless they want to be penalized. Only one recess a day. Seriously, even adults get more than one break a day at work. It's just awful. I would never put up with these conditions and I don't think children should have to put up with them either.

I am not sure where to begin, but we seriously need some reform in our public schools. I also think we need to make some changes regarding the teachers unions.

If you think missing a bathroom break is bad, it is only the tip of the iceberg. Please click on the link below and do more research regarding problems within our public schools. These are not isolated incidences.

www.nbclosangeles.com...

Note: The teacher in the story connected to the above link, did not lose his pension. Not to mention the fact that the school paid him $40,000 to resign. How pathetic..

(sorry for the wordiness)

posted on Dec, 4 2012 @ 06:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by Artistic

Originally posted by Symbiot
reply to post by Artistic

I remember when I had to raise my hand and ask "Can I be human for a moment?" Society doesn't want people, they want robots so they created their education systems to produce just that. Unfortunately the programming usually goes awry, what else would you expect from a bunch of ill wired robots programming other robots?

I agree with you and it is going to just get worse.

They want to indoctrinate the kids early so they can work in this slave society. For some it works; for others it doesn't.

My online job that requires a professional license; they treat you like a robot.

If you go off script and the auditor takes points off; you can loose your job.

It doesn't matter how good you are clinically, just whether or not you stay on script ; if you deviate

this is bad and they reprimand employees for it.

They treat professionals like low grunts

It is a work at home job and this is what makes it appealing ;

this is it.

Exactly why Unions were created you freekin sheep..

Bill

posted on Dec, 4 2012 @ 09:21 PM
link   
reply to post by Temperance13

I watched as a preschool instructor at the public school told a little boy that he could not go to use the restrooms, not until the other kids return, she told him. He stood right in front of her holding the front of his pants, doing what I call the pee pee dance, until he couldn't it any longer. All the kids in the class began to laugh at him. He just stood there and cried. The teacher then sent him to the bathroom, as if that was going to help.

The first part makes sense: "Not until the other kids return." I used to let my students out in groups of two. As a teacher, we are accountable for our students. If a student happens to get distracted on the way back from the bathroom and falls down a flight of stairs, it is on us. This wasn't an unusual thing. In preschool, when one kid has to go, suddenly they all "have to go." The second part is a part of growing up: learning when your body is telling you that it's "potty time." Kids will wait till the absolute last second to realize that they are about to soil their "underroos". Even if she had let him go at that exact moment, the chances of the child making it to the bathroom on time were slim and none. I know from experience.

I spoke with the teacher afterwards and informed her that she was wrong for not allowing him to go use the restroom. She did not appear to agree with me, she voiced her opinion and then requested that I know longer assist in her class. So, I spoke with the school Principal, who felt she had done nothing wrong. I then phoned CPS and reported the incident.

The teacher was in the wrong, but, then again, how confrontational did you get with her? She may have been forced to defend herself. Once again, did you put the principal into a place where they had to defend him/herself? Reporting the incident to CPS was, in my opinion, a bit overboard. What did CPS tell you, and how did they resolve it?

While in first grade, my daughter and another girl had raised their hand to go use the restroom during gym class. The teacher told them both to put their hands down and keep quiet until she was through talking, Well, a few minutes later both my daughter and the other girl could hold it any longer. I got a call from the school nurse, who informed me that my daughter had had an accident.

After that incident, I instructed both my children to forget about the teacher and go use the restroom, that I would make sure their teacher did not penalize them for a potty break.

Good on you for telling your kids to use the bathroom when they need to. That is their right. It is your right as a parent to tell the teachers that your child WILL use the bathroom when needed, as long as it is not abused. I'm sorry about your daughter and her friend, but accidents happen, especially when you are only six or seven years old. Biology dictates that.

I honestly believe that some public schools are worse than prisons. They have no doors, toilet paper or soap in the bathrooms. The children can't pee when they need to, unless they want to be penalized. Only one recess a day.

Proof? Pictures? If this school is neglecting basic necessities, why haven't you already contacted your State Board of Education and documented this? I would shut down that school myself if they were subjecting students to this. Kids were, and still are, my life.

If you think missing a bathroom break is bad, it is only the tip of the iceberg. Please click on the link below and do more research regarding problems within our public schools. These are not isolated incidences.

www.nbclosangeles.com...

Note: The teacher in the story connected to the above link, did not lose his pension. Not to mention the fact that the school paid him $40,000 to resign. How pathetic..

While that case infuriated me, it's certainly not happening all over the country. I'd like to see proof of this. This was indeed an isolated incident, and the teachers that covered for that pedophile were definitely in the wrong, and deserve their punishments.

The fact that the union protected this monster clearly shows that there needs to be a revamp in the teacher's union. I have my own problems with it (mostly because many unions protect the old teachers that don't give a crap, while letting go of the younger, more vibrant, and more up to date teachers), but in many cases, it protects the teachers that really need protection.

While I don't agree to the terms of his dismissal, I also see the point in his payout. It would save the school legal fees that would ultimately get passed down to the taxpayers which would only hurt the kids even further.

-TS

posted on Dec, 5 2012 @ 12:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by truthseeker1984

Originally posted by LadyGreenEyes
reply to post by DarthMuerte

I think they should make her come to work for a week in an adult diaper, no pants, and a t-shirt. Then, after that week, FIRE her, and make sure she never teaches again. What a horrible woman! Stories like this, and people still wonder why so many parents choose to school their own children. Here's one good reason!

I can't believe they don't fire her over this. I hope every single parent of a child in that class keeps them home till the school fires this woman.

Sensationalist much?

The rookie teacher made a mistake in judgement. It was already stated that there would be some sort of administrative punishment. You want to burn her at the stake as well? The teaching profession, just like ANY OTHER PROFESSION IN THE WORLD has a learning curve dotted with trials and errors. Please, if you've made no mistakes in judgement in your entire life, I'd like to know your secret. I could learn a thing or two. A kid peed their pants. It happens all the time. 99% of the time it is because they ignore their biological functions until the last possible second. The other 1% is because the teacher is either inexperienced or stupid, or both. This teacher will learn through experience when the needed bathroom break is real or fake.

Go teach in an elementary classroom for a week, or even a month and see how every kid jumps on the "potty time bandwagon" when one kids asks to go. That's why I told them not to even ask me any more. I just tell them to go. That way, you don't have 18 kids "needing to go" at the same time (when it is announced that one has to go). The same goes for "drinks" from the water fountain, etc.

Was this a mistake in judgement? Yes. Is it grounds for her to be fired for her actions? Nope. Especially if she was a rookie teacher.

-TS

No, I am simply sick and tired of teachers getting away with things that would place parents in jail, or have them lose their children, or at the least face major legal issues. Imagine a parent n a shopping mall with a young child. The child was taken the bathroom once, and demands to go again. The parents refuses, telling the kid they already went. This is repeated until the child wets themselves. Witnesses report this to the police, and the next thing you know, child protective people are in the picture, or maybe the parent is even arrested. But a "rookie teacher" gets away with it? Same thing as the police being able to cuff an out-of-control child in school, but a parent doing the same thing would be jailed and lose custody.

You don't think she should be fired? Fine. Have her stand on a busy street, n an adult diaper and shirt, with a sign stating that she stupidly caused a student to wet his pants. Let her face similar humiliation to what she caused. "Rookie teacher" isn't an excuse for stupid. I am not naive about the situations, either. My sister taught first grade and kindergarten for a long time.

posted on Dec, 5 2012 @ 06:47 AM
link   
reply to post by LadyGreenEyes

No, I am simply sick and tired of teachers getting away with things that would place parents in jail, or have them lose their children, or at the least face major legal issues.

Cited examples of this claim? You can't go around making these claims just because you don't like teachers (and let's not mince words, your post history pretty much shows that you dislike teachers and the education system in general). You're getting all heated up over a case of a kid peeing him/herself.

Imagine a parent n a shopping mall with a young child. The child was taken the bathroom once, and demands to go again. The parents refuses, telling the kid they already went. This is repeated until the child wets themselves. Witnesses report this to the police, and the next thing you know, child protective people are in the picture, or maybe the parent is even arrested.

This is hardly a case for CPS, and I should know. Part of my training involves being a mandatory reporter if I see abuse. A kid that faked the first potty time and pees his pants the second time is not a case for abuse. I'm sorry, but you're being ridiculous here. When has a parent EVER been arrested because of this type of situation? Once again, cite an example of this, please.

Same thing as the police being able to cuff an out-of-control child in school, but a parent doing the same thing would be jailed and lose custody.

While I don't totally agree with handcuffing a child, there are some kids that would pose a danger to themselves or others unless they were somehow restrained. Have you ever seen a nine-year-old go batpoo crazy and start swinging? Some of them can get extremely violent and strong. Handcuffing should be a last resort, not a way for the principal to shirk their duties and maintain control (yes I read about those few cases, and they were ridiculous). A parent doing the same thing for therapeutic purposes? I've never heard of a case of a parent handcuffing their kids unless they were actually abusing them, so please provide some articles if you have them.

You don't think she should be fired? Fine. Have her stand on a busy street, n an adult diaper and shirt, with a sign stating that she stupidly caused a student to wet his pants. Let her face similar humiliation to what she caused.

Um. No. That is a really ridiculous statement to make. Think about the situation rationally then come back and figure it out. Being a bleeding heart for this child isn't going to help anybody. Little Johnny may have wet their underroos, but there's a good chance that many other kids will do the same thing in their time in school. The teacher is facing administrative punishment, and that should be enough for anybody. No need to "tar and feather" in these days.

I am not naive about the situations, either. My sister taught first grade and kindergarten for a long time.

Good for your sister. I've worked at the elementary level on and off for almost five years. I know a thing or two. Have you personally ever stepped foot in a classroom of six and seven year olds? My guess is, probably not. Kids will wet themselves regardless of how vigilant you are with "potty time." Some kids just don't have the control of their bodily functions at that point. Go read a child development book. That should give you some insight on developmental periods.

This is a case of a teacher making a bad judgement call. Nothing more, nothing less.

-TS

posted on Dec, 6 2012 @ 01:44 AM
link   
reply to post by truthseeker1984

Kindergarten teacher locks child in closet, forgets him

teacher locks child in duffle bag

You can look up multiple videos of teachers actually punching students, as well as other incidents.

As for handcuffs, sure, I can see a few cases where they were needed. However, if a parent used them that way, to control a violent child or teen, they would be arrested, and we all know it.

"Administrative punishment"? Define, that, exactly, then tell that child that is all that is done. No, having her face what she did would be actually just. Such things have been done for other offenders, so why should she be exempt, just because she's a teacher?

As for that "you don't like teachers" bit, how about you don't assume you know things about me? I have no inherent dislike of teachers. I DO have problems with the system, as I stated. If you don't like that, too bad. Improve the system. My sister that taught school for so long? Great teacher, and guess what? She home schooled all her own.

The system is broken.

new topics

top topics

<< 3  4  5   >>

join