It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Teacher's Reward Program Charges Second-Graders for Bathroom Breaks

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 3 2012 @ 09:52 AM
link   
reply to post by jjkenobi

I agree. Down with "Bucks" no good comes of it for sure!

posted on Dec, 3 2012 @ 09:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by jjkenobi
A seasoned teacher can tell when a child actually has to go to the bathroom. This teach should be punished somehow and the "bucks" system should be abolished. And Unions suck.

The "ruler -slave" starts early in life doesn't it?

At this young of an age; it should not matter. Perhaps the child just wants to get away from class for a minute.

People are human and they need mental time to "regroup" as well...

The authoritarian # fest starts early

posted on Dec, 3 2012 @ 10:20 AM
link   
reply to post by Artistic

I remember when I had to raise my hand and ask "Can I be human for a moment?" Society doesn't want people, they want robots so they created their education systems to produce just that. Unfortunately the programming usually goes awry, what else would you expect from a bunch of ill wired robots programming other robots?

posted on Dec, 3 2012 @ 10:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by Symbiot

I remember when I had to raise my hand and ask "Can I be human for a moment?" Society doesn't want people, they want robots so they created their education systems to produce just that. Unfortunately the programming usually goes awry, what else would you expect from a bunch of ill wired robots programming other robots?

I agree with you and it is going to just get worse.

They want to indoctrinate the kids early so they can work in this slave society. For some it works; for others it doesn't.

My online job that requires a professional license; they treat you like a robot.

If you go off script and the auditor takes points off; you can loose your job.

It doesn't matter how good you are clinically, just whether or not you stay on script ; if you deviate

this is bad and they reprimand employees for it.

They treat professionals like low grunts

It is a work at home job and this is what makes it appealing ;

this is it.

posted on Dec, 3 2012 @ 11:08 AM
link   

I see. Ever seen the movie Idiocracy? When the main character is in the Hospital he's trying to talk to an attendant, but she never says a word instead a computer speaks for her. She looks like she's brain dead. To be honest I rather think Alzheimer's might actually have something to do with that which is to say if you don't use it you lose it.

I'm not a doctor, but I know muscles atrophy when they're not exorcised, perhaps the brain is the same way.

posted on Dec, 3 2012 @ 11:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by Symbiot

I see. Ever seen the movie Idiocracy? When the main character is in the Hospital he's trying to talk to an attendant, but she never says a word instead a computer speaks for her. She looks like she's brain dead. To be honest I rather think Alzheimer's might actually have something to do with that which is to say if you don't use it you lose it.

I'm not a doctor, but I know muscles atrophy when they're not exorcised, perhaps the brain is the same way.

Anymore it seems

this world is all about money and control

The ones at the top of the company want to make as much as possible and the employees are looked at as pennies

>easy to throw away and find new ones

A good parent today will be able to see through the school system's attempt to manufacture new slaves

and educate their children at a young age to

Have their own business ; cultivate their own way in life

instead of believe they can live a good life as an employee

Maybe 50 years ago it was possible to live a relatively good life as someone's employee

BUT this is quickly becoming a thing of the past

As more and more companies JUST want mindless drones to do the work> ask no questions and just do what is told

The children growing up will have an even more difficult time of it if they have intelligence; creativity..

posted on Dec, 3 2012 @ 11:47 AM
link   

I find that those of a particular intelligence tend to ask questions and that's just what most corporations don't want. Really it's what most leaders don't want, don't ask questions just do what you're told.

posted on Dec, 3 2012 @ 02:03 PM
link   
reply to post by DarthMuerte

I told my children if they need to go to the bathroom for real and the teacher wouldn't let them, to get up and go anyway. I wouldn't be mad at them.

Hmm.... There's a few things I've told my kids to do or not do in the past few years concerning authority. I hope I'm not setting them up to be "anarchists" or something.

posted on Dec, 3 2012 @ 05:46 PM
link   
Ex teacher here.

So when did the conversation go from a greenhorn teacher having a lapse of judgment to everything being totalitarian and Nazi-like? I honestly think some posters should calm down and stop using emotions to guide their responses.

If you've ever worked with young kids in a classroom setting, you would know that if one kid "has to go," dollars to doughnuts that the entire class will "suddenly" have to go too. You gotta pick your battles when dealing with young children. If it becomes a habit, then you'll lose classroom time. Have I ever denied a young student a bathroom break? Hell no. I don't want to deal with the mess. Has my entire class had to go all at once? Yup, and I immediately explain that if it isn't an emergency that they have to stay in their seats. The majority of the time, 95% of the kids sit down while the remaining ones queue up for bathroom time.

The teacher had a lapse of judgment and hopefully there will be no more major ones like this. My policy is: don't ask, just go.

My $.02.

-TS

posted on Dec, 3 2012 @ 05:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by truthseeker1984
Ex teacher here.

So when did the conversation go from a greenhorn teacher having a lapse of judgment to everything being totalitarian and Nazi-like? I honestly think some posters should calm down and stop using emotions to guide their responses.

Do remember what site you are on. People will take the most mundane and turn into one of the greatest conspiracies the world has ever seen here in the depths of ATS.

Have I ever denied a young student a bathroom break? Hell no. I don't want to deal with the mess.

This, along with Smylee, has shown posters in this thread that teachers are human and there are teachers out there that understand the lack of judgement made by the teacher here. Hopefully, even though it wasn't in the report, the teacher made an apology to the classroom and their parents. By doing so, the teacher will gain the respect of those willing to understand her mistake and also of her students. Honesty from the teacher goes a long way.

A few points I already made that worry me about this news piece though:

-- The brush off by the school's administrator and teacher to the concerned parent. In my opinion, it comes off as "We know better than you" attitude. Especially with the report claiming that the teacher was going to give the child "preferential treatment" because the parents spoke up.

-- The teacher, albeit inadvertently I think, giving the kids a crude quasi-economic choice on a natural function. Save "bucks" for prizes or use the bathroom. I know what my second-grader will choose and I am sure we can all figure out what the majority will choose. It also placed a child in the situation of not asking at all because they had no bucks. As you can see, this is the real problem I see here.

posted on Dec, 3 2012 @ 08:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by DarthMuerte

Teacher's Reward Program Charges Second-Graders for Bathroom Breaks

www.nbcdfw.com

The mother of a 7-year-old Irving elementary school student says her son wet his pants in class after his teacher refused to let him use the restroom Thursday afternoon.
"I was absolutely appalled," Sonja Cross said. "I could not believe it."
The first-year teacher at J.O. Davis Elementary awards her students with "Boyd Bucks" for good behavior. Going to the bathroom outside of the three scheduled breaks costs two Boyd Bucks per trip.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Notice the sheer level of gender privilege women are bestowed in our society? Notice how the child abusers name is not listed in the article? Seems newspapers go out of their way to hide the names of gal's who do wrong. If it had been a male teacher(then again might as well insert leprechaun for how rare male teachers are these days due to anti male bias in the educational system) and a female student, the teacher would of been charged with child abuse, and or child neglect.

posted on Dec, 3 2012 @ 09:12 PM
link   
UPDATE:

The district's superintendent has spoken that they are planning disciplinary actions against the teacher. Though, after looking up Davis Elementary, there are no 2nd grade teachers with the last/first name of Boyd. I wonder what the basis of "Boyd Bucks" come from, as earlier I was assuming it was the teachers name of sorts. It could be that the teacher's name/contact info was removed when the story broke to lessen the flood of nasty messages this would generate: J. O. Davis Elementary - Faculty

From the updated article.

"The district doesn't condone this, and it was a bad decision," Irving Superintendent Dana T. Bedden said. "We have been working with the principal to address the issue."

The district said on Monday that the incident is currently under review and that Irving ISD administration would determine appropriate disciplinary action.

"The district will gather information and address the issue appropriately based on our human resources practices regarding employee performance," Bedden said.

posted on Dec, 3 2012 @ 09:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by ownbestenemy

Do remember what site you are on. People will take the most mundane and turn into one of the greatest conspiracies the world has ever seen here in the depths of ATS.

Yup. Pretty much.

This, along with Smylee, has shown posters in this thread that teachers are human and there are teachers out there that understand the lack of judgement made by the teacher here. Hopefully, even though it wasn't in the report, the teacher made an apology to the classroom and their parents. By doing so, the teacher will gain the respect of those willing to understand her mistake and also of her students. Honesty from the teacher goes a long way.

I hope so too. Every new teacher makes mistakes. She shouldn't be burned at the stake for this, but at the same time she needs to make a public apology and let the students know that it's okay to ask for "potty time." Or even better, like I do, just tell them to go.

A few points I already made that worry me about this news piece though:

-- The brush off by the school's administrator and teacher to the concerned parent. In my opinion, it comes off as "We know better than you" attitude. Especially with the report claiming that the teacher was going to give the child "preferential treatment" because the parents spoke up.

I agree with you here. I've gotten in fights with my previous administrations because of the "I know better than you" attitude. There is no excuse for it, and it's one reason on my laundry list of reasons why I left the profession.

-- The teacher, albeit inadvertently I think, giving the kids a crude quasi-economic choice on a natural function. Save "bucks" for prizes or use the bathroom. I know what my second-grader will choose and I am sure we can all figure out what the majority will choose. It also placed a child in the situation of not asking at all because they had no bucks. As you can see, this is the real problem I see here.

Once again, I believe this was just a bad mistake on her part. As I said in my first post, some kids (especially the young ones) will magically all have to go to the bathroom at the same time just because one kid did. I tell them no unless they are holding their crotch and doing the "potty dance." This comes with experience, which is something that she is lacking, considering that she made the internet news because of her antics.

I agree with the inherent problem, and hopefully the teacher learns from her mistake and moves on from it. I honestly think it was just an honest mistake. Like I said before, some posters went overboard just because they loathe the public school system in this country, and look to these cases to demonize the entire profession (one that I spent damn near ten years of my life pursuing).

No need to suspend her without pay. Have her make a public apology and leave it at that.

-TS

posted on Dec, 4 2012 @ 01:33 AM
link   

I think they should make her come to work for a week in an adult diaper, no pants, and a t-shirt. Then, after that week, FIRE her, and make sure she never teaches again. What a horrible woman! Stories like this, and people still wonder why so many parents choose to school their own children. Here's one good reason!

I can't believe they don't fire her over this. I hope every single parent of a child in that class keeps them home till the school fires this woman.

posted on Dec, 4 2012 @ 01:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by smyleegrl
How about a different perspective?

I have a similar rule in my classroom. Why? Because there are three or four students who would go to the bathroom every twenty minutes just to get out of class. Its a given with children.

*snip*

So, with those kids, talk to the parents, or send them to the office. Punishing an entire class over the actions of a few isn't right. Plus, it's possible some kid might actually have a physical problem, and need to go a lot, in which case, the parents would need to be notified. In no case should a child be told they aren't allowed, and be made to wet themselves. That's treating the students like animals. Then again, maybe that was this woman's intention. Animals, with no free will, no free thought, obedient to the state so strongly that they will wet themselves rather than disobey. Any teacher that tried that with one of mine would be very sorry.

posted on Dec, 4 2012 @ 02:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by smyleegrl

Originally posted by hawkiye
Before we yanked our now grown kids out and home schooled them we told them if you really need to go you just get up and go even if the teacher tells you not to and we will deal with the teacher. We also told the school that was our policy and we never had any big problems with it that I recall. Still schools don;t teach kids how to think on thier own anymore they just teach them what to think. Home schooling is so much easier then people think. We never regretted pulling them and discovered we could do everything in 2-3 hours and wondered what the heck they were doing in school for 5-7 hours.. When my daughter got into college after a week she said Dad the kids in there don't know anything...

Sorry, OP, this is kinda off topic, but I wanted to address this reply.

Hawiye,

The reason we need 7 hours in school to teach what you could in 3 has to do with the ability levels and number of students in the room. For example, I have two ESL students who speak limited English. I have to spend extra time with them because of the language issue. Then, I have to separate my students into small groups (based on understanding of topic) and work with them on their level.

The kids who are home-schooled get one or two on one attention; you work on the child's level constantly, and you control the information presented. Its a heck of a more effective system. Which is why I think homeschooling is a great choice for most people (there are some who shouldn't do it, but thats a different story).

Good points, and one more reason the current system is broken. I saw a story about a new sort of school, where students were not placed by age, but by ability, and the typical public school schedule wasn't used. The kids all did far better. Teachers that do try their best can't succeed in the current system, and those that don't can't be fired in many cases.

When I decided to home school, one reason was what was happening at my son's school. He was in first grade, and almost every time I went to pick him up early, (appointment or whatever), the students were not even IN the classroom. they were off at some assembly, or watching some film, or something. Then, he would bring home, daily, HOURS of homework. That, in the FIRST GRADE. That in a school with good ratings. Home schooling the next year, we didn't spend any more time on all his work than he had n homework. Some days, it was less. The schedule was ours to set, there was far less stress, and he learned more.

I can agree that some are not equipped to home school, but there has to be a better way than what we are doing. The kids aren't learning overall, abuses like the one in this thread happen, and nothing is done about them, and the children suffer.

I think we need to totally eliminate public education. I don't say that lightly. However, the more government control we see, the worse things get. A child being made to wet himself seems to fit right in to the controlling indoctrination we see in so many schools. Of course they won't fire that teacher; she got the result they wanted. No, I am not "anti-teacher", either. My sister taught school, and a cousin does now. It's the system I don't like.

posted on Dec, 4 2012 @ 02:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by Magantice

I personally know a grown woman aged 56 or so, in Cincinnati ohio who works for a call center. This woman had a doctors excuse to go to the bathroom outside of her break time yet was denied permission by a supervisor to leave her desk during a high call volume time. Needless to say something terrible happened. The had to call in carpet cleaners etc. The woman held her head high even though she died a thousand deaths of humiliation.

I told her it was a law suit she couldnt lose. She told me that evry supervisor all the way up to the top apologised to her so she is just going to move on and forget it.

This happened not even a month ago. So I told her in the future to just go when she needed too and then let the supervisors deal with it. No human should have to deal with such an indignity. Your thoughts????

She should sue them. There isn't an excuse for that, and no apology erases what they did. Of course they apologized; to avoid a lawsuit! A month ago? She should seek an attorney. I can't understand ANY place telling people that they cannot go to the restroom as needed.

Actually had this one really controlling supervisor start to complain because I was in the restroom at the start of some silly meeting. She was actually asking what took so long (under 5 minutes...). Basically, I told her that's how long it took, in a way that made her know I could be FAR more descriptive, if she pushed it. She shut up.

Really, though, suggest to your friend that she reconsider that lawsuit. Otherwise, they WILL do something similar, or just as bad, to someone else.

posted on Dec, 4 2012 @ 02:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by Wrabbit2000
reply to post by smyleegrl

Oh I certainly don't say we roll out a guillotine and give the kids all an object lesson in how Marie Antoinette met her fate. Hardly...I mean, perspective is what the Districts are losing on a daily basis. It's something we as parents ought to work harder to keep, right?

I just hope she IS disciplined in an appropriately PUBLIC way. Public in terms of the students that have to deal with this. My experience both as a student and now as a parent is that 'nothing to see here...move along...we all make mistakes..' is the stock standard approach when it's the teacher, but called a cheap cop-out and excuse for students. I hope it's not simply glossed over for the unthinkable humiliation this child suffered over it.

You know, you hit on something important there. it's always, "We all make mistakes, etc." when it is a teacher, but when it's a parent, the rules suddenly change. If any of us had our child peeing their pants because we refused to take them to a restroom, people would be calling it abuse, and demanding the kids were yanked from the home, etc. Cops cuff kids at school, teachers lock kids in closets, or duffel bags, and that's supposed to be forgiven, but we would be JAILED for the same thing. If a person can't say a parent could get away unpunished, then they should not say a teacher can!

posted on Dec, 4 2012 @ 11:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by LadyGreenEyes

I think they should make her come to work for a week in an adult diaper, no pants, and a t-shirt. Then, after that week, FIRE her, and make sure she never teaches again. What a horrible woman! Stories like this, and people still wonder why so many parents choose to school their own children. Here's one good reason!

I can't believe they don't fire her over this. I hope every single parent of a child in that class keeps them home till the school fires this woman.

Sensationalist much?

The rookie teacher made a mistake in judgement. It was already stated that there would be some sort of administrative punishment. You want to burn her at the stake as well? The teaching profession, just like ANY OTHER PROFESSION IN THE WORLD has a learning curve dotted with trials and errors. Please, if you've made no mistakes in judgement in your entire life, I'd like to know your secret. I could learn a thing or two. A kid peed their pants. It happens all the time. 99% of the time it is because they ignore their biological functions until the last possible second. The other 1% is because the teacher is either inexperienced or stupid, or both. This teacher will learn through experience when the needed bathroom break is real or fake.

Go teach in an elementary classroom for a week, or even a month and see how every kid jumps on the "potty time bandwagon" when one kids asks to go. That's why I told them not to even ask me any more. I just tell them to go. That way, you don't have 18 kids "needing to go" at the same time (when it is announced that one has to go). The same goes for "drinks" from the water fountain, etc.

Was this a mistake in judgement? Yes. Is it grounds for her to be fired for her actions? Nope. Especially if she was a rookie teacher.

-TS

posted on Dec, 4 2012 @ 11:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by rickymouse
reply to post by smyleegrl

I agree, the teacher needs to be able to assess this, not a defined set of rules.

That's it right there, having rigid rules for this scenario is ludicrous. When I was in grade school in the 80's, we got a morning and an afternoon bathroom break. 20-30 boys crowding into a bathroom with 2 stalls and 2 urinals, and if you didn't get the job done in 5 minutes, too bad.

In 6th grade, I broke and sprained my finger on the playground. I showed my swollen, mangled finger to the teacher, who didn't want to deal with it until she saw me still wincing in excruciating pain 4 hours later.

We each got 3 seconds worth of water from the drinking fountain with each bathroom break, where we had to put our lips onto the dribbling fountain for any hope of getting an ounce of rusty water in. Not allowed to have beverages from home, amd we got a carton of warm, sour-tasting milk with lunch as our only option.

My son is 6 months old, planning on one more baby. We're not fans of home-schooling, as we believe the social interaction of schhol (good and bad) is every bit (more?) as important as the schooling itself. I rarely learned anything I didn't already know in class, and I was the youngest kid in my grade. I learned all I knew of school topics from my parents, and on my own, not from school itself, but I would have missed out on an awful lot had I been home-schooled.

That said, there is a fantastic private school a couple friends have sent their kids to, and what they learn for the grades they're in, is incredible. It costs $6,000/year, which kinda su ja, because I already pay $6,000/year property tax on my home (which only has a market value of $180k, but I honestly feel like I would be robbing from my children if I sent them to the same school system I went to. To throw that money out, will hurt. It might mean driving a beat-up old car, continuing to hold off on home improvemments, new clothing, etc., but the public school systems are just absolutely brutal.

My mom was a teacher in the same district. She was a great teacher, I had some great teachers. Unfortunately, the public system forces the teachers to teach "to the test", instead of actually guiding real learning, and all to satisfy a useless system, put in place by useless political scumbags.

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6 >>

join