It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Woman builds DIY home for less than $3500

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+14 more 
posted on Dec, 1 2012 @ 10:56 PM
link   
I put this in survival because it's all about survival. Maybe not in end times or a SHTF scenario but during a depression, recession or just hard times.

Don't tell my wife but I think I just fell in love with this woman...
What man doesn't get all hot and bothered by a beautiful woman who likes to save money and can build a house!
Plus she wears a tool belt...

Peace

posted on Dec, 1 2012 @ 11:01 PM
link   
That’s not a home. It’s a shoe box. Wouldn’t be hard recycling timber that has been removed from an old house to make way for an extension or new build. She probably would have saved the builders money by not having to pay to have the timber move to a tip or wherever else.

posted on Dec, 1 2012 @ 11:12 PM
link   
reply to post by jude11

Reminds me of the little house on the Prairie. Cool.

posted on Dec, 1 2012 @ 11:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by BlindBastards
That’s not a home. It’s a shoe box. Wouldn’t be hard recycling timber that has been removed from an old house to make way for an extension or new build. She probably would have saved the builders money by not having to pay to have the timber move to a tip or wherever else.

No. It's a home because that's where she lives and loves.

And using all used material is only a bonus IMO.

Peace

posted on Dec, 1 2012 @ 11:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by InTheLight
reply to post by jude11

Reminds me of the little house on the Prairie. Cool.

Good for one person but a family?

Gotta build a few and connect them. One for each member. 5 members x 3500 = 17,500.

For a home, not bad!

Peace

posted on Dec, 1 2012 @ 11:24 PM
link   
It's usually not too difficult to put up some shelter of some type fairly cheaply. What puts people out on the street is the heat, light and food that also has to go in, and then be replenished over and over. But it is a very nice apartment. Right now I would really like to have that very thing to put my oldest son in. He just lost his roommate soooo...

Daaaaaad!!!!!!!

posted on Dec, 1 2012 @ 11:26 PM
link   
reply to post by jude11

Yes, I was only referring to a home for one person, hence 'little house', and I would love the smell of wood throughout.

Peace to you too.

posted on Dec, 1 2012 @ 11:27 PM
link   
I was at Orchard Supply in Gilroy, Ca. waiting on my wife to take a look - so I smoked a cigarette and started looking at their out door sheds they have this 8X10 shed these plastic sheds looked modular for 740$ each I fugured I could put two of these together and have a pretty nice space - I openend the door and there was a homeless guy sleeping inside it... mid day.. it looked like he had been living there for quite a while judging by the debris. said sorry and closed the door. It is getting rough all over...

posted on Dec, 1 2012 @ 11:34 PM
link   
If i tired to do that in my city, someone would call action line to try and get me in trouble. I would have to make sure its in the backyard behind a fence on concrete or they will say i violate some stupid city ordinance.

posted on Dec, 1 2012 @ 11:34 PM
link   
I think it is a pretty good project. She seems to be having a good time with it. She has friends helping her with it. Needs some big hooks to secure the roof down, a strong wind could pull it off.

I think she's going to have a little problem pulling it down the road though, it is a little too high I think. She might pull a few power lines or cable lines down with that. It appears to be higher than a camper by quite a bit. There are usually height restrictions.

posted on Dec, 1 2012 @ 11:35 PM
link   
reply to post by 1BornPatriot

When is it time the people stood up and complained?

posted on Dec, 1 2012 @ 11:38 PM
link   
Maybe I'm missing something here. If she doesn't own any land, where is this thing parked? If it's her parent's house, can't she live inside? If it's a house she's renting, why does she need a to build a house?

Don't get me wrong. It's a wonderful idea and I applaud her efforts. I just don't get it.

posted on Dec, 2 2012 @ 12:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by N3k9Ni
Maybe I'm missing something here. If she doesn't own any land, where is this thing parked? If it's her parent's house, can't she live inside? If it's a house she's renting, why does she need a to build a house?

Don't get me wrong. It's a wonderful idea and I applaud her efforts. I just don't get it.

Looks like it could easily be put on a trailer and located...wherever.

Without knowing the entire situation it's hard to know but for whatever reason she needed to build it.

I posted to show that with a little ingenuity and effort, we can survive in a scaled model of what we think we need to live.

The rest is all just window dressing.

Peace

posted on Dec, 2 2012 @ 12:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by InTheLight

When is it time the people stood up and complained?

The time is so near that you'll see it in your life time. Of this I'm certain.

Peace

posted on Dec, 2 2012 @ 01:15 AM
link   
What wonderful synchronicity. Was looking at that video just a short while ago before logging in. Also, exploring deisel, bio fuel generators and salt water batteries, and parabolic mirrors, stirling engines.

I also found some really cute, spare rooms, they're like gypsy old fashioned caravans, could be made with fabric (waterproof outer layer), I'd have at least 2 layers stuffed with some insulation or even something like bottles sewn into lining and covered with alumium tape stuffed between the walls or tinfoil at least on one side. Or of course alternative siding, wood, paper mahe, painted up, beads hanging down.

pinterest.com...

pinterest.com...

pinterest.com...

pinterest.com...

I would consider uses waterproof fabric on outside, or paper mache, hempstone, (which could be cornhusks and lime instead) there are many alternative and inexpensive covers rather than wood.

posted on Dec, 2 2012 @ 02:04 AM
link   

I thought the Santa Clara county people make a hobby of red tagging buildings that weren't up to code. Up until recently the red tag was permanent and the building inspector could revisit you any time he wanted, even after the violation was fixed.

Thus I wouldn't build a shed-building anywhere in central california.

posted on Dec, 2 2012 @ 02:27 AM
link   
reply to post by jude11

I really enjoy compact house designs and transforming furniture. To me, they're like logic puzzles and the pieces are space, cost, and functionality. I've drawn quite a few over time with sketchup. The smallest, yet functional, I was able to come up with was about 14x12, I think. Any smaller and you're pushing it. The design uses a sort of booth table that converts to a bed, such as a boat would have.

On the political side of the whole tiny home thing:
I don't understand why they have building codes that do not allow for a small home. It seems like it should be a basic human right to be able to build and live in whatever size home you want. The idiocy of having to build a home on wheels just to get around codes is mind boggling.

edit on 12/2/2012 by Bleeeeep because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 2 2012 @ 02:33 AM
link   
Amazing woman really doing what shes doing.

posted on Dec, 2 2012 @ 05:31 AM
link   
reply to post by jude11

I like this lady more.

posted on Dec, 2 2012 @ 07:17 AM
link   
This is completely awesome but like some have already mentioned, i have a few questions.

-although i think people should be able to build whatever they want.... how is she dealing with local codes like construction safety, plumbing and electricity codes, tax assessment etc.? now i get being in wheels may change those issues but then there's other problems.next thing you'll here is" home builder owes state $50,000 in taxes!" i remember a story about a guy who was using waste veg oil in his car and since he was promoting it on his car with stickers, some official ahole decided he was skirting fuel taxes so they tried to make him pay them separately. i could imagine her getting hit with some absurd property tax.

-trailer vehicle safety laws, registration?

- that house looks REALLY tall. like said before, power lines. also, low bridges. that would limit travel severely not to mention stability issues.

- it looks REALLY heavy. has she accounted for the trailers capacity to hold the weight? everything is made of nice hard woods and it barely looks like she used plywood which is much lighter.

-legality of where to park. maybe national parks with camping but do they have limits on how long you can stay? that would mean a pretty nomadic lifestyle which may bring up money issues later on, like gas, food, propane if she wanted to cook. you can park on a friends private land, that is as long as there isnt some city ordinance against trailers and vehicles parked in your yard.

so, i love the ingenuity, use of recycled parts, the quaintness and simplicity, and the fact you can custom tailor to suit your needs , not to mention the price but we all know how the "system" makes it really hard for these things to be viable.
edit on 12/2/2012 by homeskillet because: (no reason given)

edit on 12/2/2012 by homeskillet because: (no reason given)

edit on 12/2/2012 by homeskillet because: added some stuff and i keep forgetting some words!! aghhh

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join