It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

why is the world ignoring the Congolese war?

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 28 2012 @ 03:23 PM
link   
US has tunnel vision aimed at the Middle East right now because these nations are outwardly hostile to the west, in many cases. There are nuclear armed countries and countries on the verge. Also, religious reasons.

But we should be focusing more on Congo, Sudan, and Somalia...

The West owes it to the rest of the world to do all we can to help out considering the history of centuries 16-19, in particular.

posted on Nov, 28 2012 @ 03:34 PM
link   
reply to post by NotAnAspie

You understand there are two nations referred to as 'Congo' in Africa, correct?

There is the Republic of Congo which has a population of

posted on Nov, 28 2012 @ 03:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by isthisreallife

You understand there are two nations referred to as 'Congo' in Africa, correct?

There is the Republic of Congo which has a population of

posted on Nov, 28 2012 @ 04:38 PM
link   

Yup, I found this out last night too...

Such a fail on our part
oh well now we know...

SS
edit on 043030p://pm3000 by Spike Spiegle because: I

posted on Nov, 28 2012 @ 04:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by SpeachM1litant
The DRC is a country scared and ravaged by Western imperialism. Many ignorant fools on this forum will try to deny this, saying that colonialism finished many years ago (when in fact it hasn't, it continues in the form of economic colonialism - neo colonialism),

I beg to differ. There are many nations in Africa who have just not a grip. They blame, blame and blame everyone else for their problems, regardless of the foreign aid that is pumped in. These nations are corrupt and a mess. They are selling themselves out to China – or rather their leaders are becoming fantastically rich by selling their countries riches on the cheap.

Africa has to start take ownership of their own problems. South Africa is squandering their opportunity to take a lead on this, through supporting basket cases like Zimbabwe. Isn’t South Africa a part of the BRICS?

The last time Britain intervened in Africa was to help restore order in Sierra Leone in 2000 under Operation Palliser and Operation Barras, the latter being a defining moment. All credit to the Brits. If they did that today this Board would be jam packed with people whining on. Sierra Leone was a small nation. The DRC is a basket case of a different level.

‘nuff said

Regards

posted on Nov, 28 2012 @ 05:05 PM
link   
I will brave the wrath and just say, as a colonial Brit person, that problems in Africa are highly unlikely to ever be solved. Most if not all African states/nations have a severe problem with a tribal mentality. There are tribal feuds going back centuries. It is one of the most racist hotspots in the world bar the middle east (which in my view isn't so much race driven as money of course). How to you ask an entire tribal nation to very kindly forgive their neighbour and put down their weapons after hundreds of years of in-fighting? They all despise each other for various long standing reasons

For all the moans and groans regarding the colonies in Africa it really do think it has to be said that for the most part despite the "raping of the land" allegations, the Africans in certain countries had a far better standard of living than they do now. The countries were safer, economically sound with education & healthcare. The minute the Europeans pulled out/evacuated whatever, the land reverted back to its tribal state and old feuds started all over again this time with no-one there to turn to and no sympathy from the EU/UN mainly due to the serious barbarism and atrocities occurring. I cannot think of a country now in Africa thats safe to go to without an armed guard and even they are known to turn on a nice European every now and then. I don't believe there is 1 country that recovered sufficiently when the British pulled out (and others) who could say their standard of living is anywhere near what it was for all their blaming everyone but themselves.

They wanted us out...they got us out...and the place fell apart

PS I understand if I get flamed as you all put it...i'm a tough old bird I can take it

posted on Nov, 28 2012 @ 05:18 PM
link   
reply to post by phyllida

You wont get flamed by me, you're allowed your opinion on the matter and you worded it out quite well too.

Star for you.

SS

posted on Nov, 28 2012 @ 05:25 PM
link   
Would any one have any reliable links to information on those empty cities. It disturbs me.

Thanks.

P

posted on Nov, 28 2012 @ 05:32 PM
link   
Because the U.S. leadership stinks to high heaven right now.When the U.S. stinks the rest of the world stinks rots.How important we really are to stay strong ,it is crazy but true.

posted on Nov, 28 2012 @ 05:34 PM
link   
reply to post by pheonix358

There you go friend

China's ghost cities

It's a great side topic and interesting to speculate on.

posted on Nov, 28 2012 @ 05:37 PM
link   
reply to post by Spike Spiegle

Thank you kind sir

Just to give a little more of an illustration on the subject
www.zimdiaspora.com...:rhodesia-was-better-than-zimbabwe&catid=55:lnternational-news&Itemid=297< br />
There was an agreement with the indigenous population that we would not take all the land and after around 15yrs the blacks had 50% of the land but unfortunately there was just so much fighting between tribes/neighbours most of the time they never touched their own land, nor farmed it. And now of course Mugabe has all the power and the country is in absolute poverty and orders genocide whenever someone steps out of line such as demanding better healthcare like the mutabele people.

You had to have been there to appreciate just how atrocious it really was. The congo is no different Rwanda is no different, and the less said about Uganda under Idi Amin the better!

Until Africa can hold their own on the world stage and has something to bring to the table that is guaranteed and stable, the rest of the world will simply look the other way. Atrocities in Africa are a way of life now..wrong but true. Solution? I've no idea. You go in and try and help your get blamed, you don't help you get blamed, you throw money at them it gets diverted. They refuse to help themselves or are now unable to.

posted on Nov, 28 2012 @ 05:53 PM
link   
reply to post by SLAYER69

and people wonder why America tries to police the world....yet here we have a perfect example of what someone from another country expects when it's convenient to their cause. They want Americans to police a country that isn't theirs.....as an American I think we should let countries deal with their own problems until they spread to other countries and mind our own...no reason to police something globally if it can work itself out locally and that's I feel about centralized conflicts all over the world, not just the Congo.

posted on Nov, 28 2012 @ 05:56 PM
link   
If your asking why the UN is dragging it's feet in issuing sanctions then it might have something to do with the M23 already pulling out of key areas. and we're now playing the wait and see game.

Gen. Sultani Makenga, the military chief for the eight-month-old rebellion known as M23, said that his fighters intend to abide by an ultimatum issued by neighboring nations that called for their withdrawal from Goma by Friday. He said he had ordered his fighters to retreat along the southeastern axis from Masisi to Goma, and they will then leave Goma via the northern route to Rutshuru.

If your asking why the 1500 UN peace force took no action when M23 entered Goma well at the time the troops had no mandate to intervene

But even if this proposed, ban on weapon sales goes through i9t's going to slow down M23

The rebel group has a large new cache of 1,000 tons of weapons, including heavy artillery, that were abandoned by the fleeing Congo army last week, according to M23 president Jean-Marie Runiga. Six flatbed trucks carrying crates of ammunition were seen Tuesday being driven by M23 soldiers north from Goma.

A U.N. group of experts said in a detailed report last week that M23 is backed by neighboring Rwanda, which has provided them with battalions of fighters and sophisticated arms, like night vision goggles.

Read this story about what's going on over there now
edit on 28-11-2012 by MajorMayhem because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 28 2012 @ 05:57 PM
link   
imho,

the winner or loser of the war has no bearing on our economy, and not too many people have relatives over there and we just can't wrap out little brains around the idea of a rape war

posted on Nov, 28 2012 @ 05:57 PM
link   
reply to post by GrimReaper86

You clearly didn't read the entire thread or my response to Slayer69

SS

posted on Nov, 28 2012 @ 06:04 PM
link   
reply to post by syrinx high priest

Sure you can, it's called Terror and Terror tactics.

If people are to afraid to fight, then what ever cause is being fought for is won...

The German's in WW2 put loud air horns on the Stuka dive Bombers that made a loud " banshee " noise

Why?

To scare the living daylights out of the Russians...

SS
edit on 063030p://pm3055 by Spike Spiegle because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 28 2012 @ 06:14 PM
link   
To the OP....As an United States citizen I have to agree with what Optimus said, we are tired of war, we are tired of being the "hammer of justice" for the rest of the world. Does anyone send us a dime for providing them protection? Hell, do they even send us a Christmas Card? Nope...not that I know of. If all these countries we shield had to provide their own national defense...how prosperous and wonderful would their economies be?

In case you haven't noticed, the United States is broke. It is time for us to roll up the tents and come home. We cannot and should not continue meddling in the affairs of others...I do not care who they are.

Shiz happens in this world and sometimes it is ugly, painful shiz...but it is not always gonna be our responsibility to "fix it". If all the concerned people of the world want to mail money over with a note that says "Please help xxxx country"...we'll see what we can do. Broke is broke.

In the old days of Empire...you kept what you conquered...that is how conquest was paid for...now we don't do that...well...above table anyway.

I don't want to see any human being suffer, but the U.N. council or Nato or someone is going tohave to deal with this...not USA

posted on Nov, 28 2012 @ 06:21 PM
link   

Thank you kindly.

It is a vital piece of the puzzle I am putting together. I will put up a thread shortly on my conclusions.

Thanks again

P

posted on Nov, 28 2012 @ 06:30 PM
link   
C'mon, really? Don't you think Dancing With The Stars and the latest James Bond movie are more important?
What about Benghazi? Or how grey the President's hair is getting?
Lindsay Lohan?
Paula Broadwell??
Twinkies???

Because it's not a "sexy" story. There's no oil there, we don't have boots on the ground, and we're not economically tied up with the Congo.
Besides, the President is going to have lunch with Romney, didn't you hear?
I wonder if THEY get have any Twinkies.

It's rape & genocide versus Twinkies, My Friend.
When you find out why the Congo atrocities aren't getting the attention they deserve, then you can let us all know.

S&F 4 U

posted on Nov, 28 2012 @ 06:32 PM
link   

Your correct, I haven't read all the thread, my apologies. I'll go back and have another look.

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join