It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

why is the world ignoring the Congolese war?

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 28 2012 @ 12:20 AM
link   
Why do you feel like the world is ignoring the conflict in DR Congo?

It has, after all, the worlds largest Peacekeeping force. Unfortunately the Congolese themselves have a certain amount of blame to shoulder, given the rampant corruption and lawlessness of the vast and poorly developed country.

Like others have said, the West is damned if we do and damned if we don't. If we intervene to help we're accused of only doing so for resources and if not, we're accused of standing idly by.

posted on Nov, 28 2012 @ 12:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by SimonPeter
reply to post by Spike Spiegle

Bird Flu like the Dutch scientist did ? Bragging that they made it more transmissible because they beat out their competition . My question is why would they genetically engineer a more deadly pandemic style virus ?The second question is who paid for it ? It must have cost Hundreds of Millions .

To be fair, they made it more transmissible in ferrets. They didn't just up and genetically engineer a super human flu.

I don't think people pay much attention to this conflict because Africa has always been full of rape and genocide. People get sick of it, I think. I'm sure most people think, "ugh, crazy africans killing each other again," and move on to another news story. I'm not saying it's right, but it is a world away from most people you're talking about.

Speaking of doing anything, what can be done to stop it? The Kony 2012 thing had the best shot at affecting the masses to do something about africa, and that was still a relative failure. There comes a point where the people there have to sort out their own issues, and no amount of wishing and hoping from a 14 year old activist in America will do anything. As an adult, I'd like to go set up a food shelter or something, but lets be honest. I don't have the funds, I don't know the language, I'm white, and it's a world away. Most people in America, Canada, Russia, China, wherever, are in the same boat. I can watch, but I can't fix it. I can mail my representative, but they will probably just go, "huh, africans killing each other again." Back to sqaure 1.

posted on Nov, 28 2012 @ 12:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by Spike Spiegle
reply to post by NotAnAspie

Congo has a huge population of over 72 million, to put that in perspective my own country Canada the 2nd largest nation on earth after Russia, has but 30 million.

Notice the 30 million I put at the end of my phrase and how it puts things into context, now notice how you failed to add that in your quote.

SS

Another reference to population doesn't clarify that you are talking about land mass... nor does it effect my quote.

I don't even know what you are talking about now. I have no idea what you are trying to say. 30 million is another piece of evidence that you were talking about population and this is why I thought you had made an error.

That's is honestly all I was thinking when I replied because it sounded like a mistake to me but the extent that this has made you think that I am out to get you to the point where you are saying I'm omitting things out of a quote... and I don't even know what quote you are referring to, this whole thing has become very strange.

Let me put this straight to you one more time. There is no reason that I replied to you other than the fact that when I read what you wrote, I thought something other than what you meant. There are no ulterior motives and I'm not saying you are NOT talking about land mass (even though you never mentioned it) so I'm not trying to even argue with what you are saying... but still you seem to want to make something of this that doesn't need to be happening and it's really confusing.

Honestly, I thought you made an error... that's it. I had no reason to be suspicious of you but now... yeah, I'm totally scratching my head.

I feel like I've fallen into some dark psychology trap and I have no idea what's going on, it's cold, I'm hungry and there's an echo.

LOOK. You make multiple remarks about population, not one about land mass... don't get all paranoid when someone thinks you are still talking about population...unless this is all just a role you like to play.

I'm sitting here kinda tripping out from this because I thought people had better stuff to do then try to make themselves look like a victim- even on ATS.

posted on Nov, 28 2012 @ 12:35 AM
link   

I'm sorry you're tripping out

I don't feel like a victim and I wasn't trying to portray myself as one

If it helps/ stops you from posting irrelevant information, I shall be the first to say I am sorry if I explained myself incorrectly.

My bad, now back on topic please

SS

posted on Nov, 28 2012 @ 12:36 AM
link   
Another point I want to make is that in many sources, the Republic of Congo's population often comes up at under 5 million.

There...something else you can have fun getting a tude correcting me on perhaps.

Don't worry, I'm not parked in your drive way because I raised this question.

It's just something I NOTICED... Can I do that? Can I notice stuff? Am I allowed?

posted on Nov, 28 2012 @ 12:38 AM
link   

Yes you're allowed

Could you be so kind as to post the links you're talking about.

here's mine Congos pop. 2012

Thank you friend

SS
edit on 123030p://am3041 by Spike Spiegle because: link

posted on Nov, 28 2012 @ 12:46 AM
link   
There are many and one of them said two different things while i was ON THE PAGE.....yep, looking at the wikipedia article.

this is before i had replied to your post and was looking at the population list for Canada (there is a chart on the wp page) Canada is 35.

I was looking for congo and had to scroll way way way down because the poplution was four million and something. then i replied to your post and you posted a link to me saying the population of congo was around 70 million or whatever...so i looked back at the link for the republic of congo because i know i had just read something completely different but the population for congo then said 68 million i think...sixty something million.

i swear to God this all just happened and I didn't say anything about the population of congo being off because i am finding multiple places where it says what you are saying, but there are also multiple places that say less than 5 million.

look for them, they are easily found.

I'm not making this up but am not liking anything about what has happened in the last hour.

I'm just going to go ahead and flat out say that.

great, now i've got the paranoia.

posted on Nov, 28 2012 @ 12:56 AM
link   

Links or don't bother posting again.

SS

posted on Nov, 28 2012 @ 12:57 AM
link   
google public data says just over 4 million

there's this link www.fco.gov.uk...

that's two...there's more.

posted on Nov, 28 2012 @ 01:02 AM
link   

Links or don't bother posting again.

SS

You can find them yourself and I want everyone who is reading this to look for themselves.

You need to skip your attitude, man because no one is doing anything to you except fact checking your data and talking to you like normal people do. There have been strange things going on in here since it started and this idea you have that you are behaving like a normal poster (because you're not) isn't going to fly.

We are talking about the subject at hand. ATS rules apply. Don't pretend like you can just make up your own rules. That isn't going to work.
edit on 28-11-2012 by NotAnAspie because: (no reason given)

link   
reply to post by MeesterB

The article I read was that they had developed a more transmissible virus that would kill 50% of the infected people. The Dutch scientist were elated to develop this terrible virus . Whether it was successful from the lab to be as deadly to humanity is not the point . Why did they feel it was their goal to do so ? And who paid for it ?
Why do people disregard the United Nations Agenda 21 / Sustainable Development .That UN guideline has been adopted by our government and we are moving in that direction now .
Agenda 21 takes away from you as ( unsustainable ) ; Private Property , Single Family Dwellings , Air Conditioning , Cars and your right to travel . From us collectively ; Agenda 21 has stated that the following are unsustainable ; Roads other than cause ways between Population Centers where you will live in Multifamily Buildings , Rail Roads , Power Grid , Agriculture except the government sanctioned production ( Corporate ) and then there is the Massive Population Reduction . David Rockefeller stated that he prescribed an 80 % reduction . Prince Phillip wanted 95 % Turner and Gates are part of the scheme also . Henry Kissinger said use food to control the population . Why do people ignore what the Actual Document --The United Nations Agenda 21 ?

link   

Interesting...

Seems like the dates are from 2012 too...

4 million>72 million that's a big gap, I'm sure we're missing something

I even stared your post, let's chill no need to trip

Thanks for the link

SS
edit on 013030p://am3004 by Spike Spiegle because: star

edit on 013030p://am3058 by Spike Spiegle because: 72

posted on Nov, 28 2012 @ 01:08 AM
link   
OK folks, please tone down the snide remarks and underhanded jabs.

Let's all play nice and focus on the topic.

Thank you.

posted on Nov, 28 2012 @ 01:10 AM
link   

Interesting...

Seems like the dates are from 2012 too...

4 million>7 million that's a big gap, I'm sure we're missing something

I even stared your post, let's chill no need to trip

Thanks for the link

SS
edit on 013030p://am3004 by Spike Spiegle because: star

no, 4 million to 72 million... bigger gap.

I don't understand what is going on here.

Here's another that puts it very low.

www.nationsencyclopedia.com...

there's more... it's rarely the same.
edit on 28-11-2012 by NotAnAspie because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 28 2012 @ 01:15 AM
link   

OK SS, are you going to be the first one to volunteer and go do something about it? Do you want to go to the Congo and deal with heavily armed militias and a warzone? Right.

People clamour for Western Nations to get their colonialist/imperialist noses OUT of Africa and govern themselves, yet when all civil hell breaks loose we're expected to go back in and police them? Makes no sense. It's like Slayer said...you're damned if you do. Damned if you don't.

posted on Nov, 28 2012 @ 01:23 AM
link   

Sorry mate.

I meant to type in 72 and yes that's a huge gap.

I'm quite sure it's 72 million but I'm sure we're both missing something.

Since other sources say that they're the 3rd most populated nation in Africa

Not quite sure what it is though.

SS

posted on Nov, 28 2012 @ 01:36 AM
link   

The main reason why the mainstream media is ignoring this is due to the fact that it is not the Middle East or Asia. This conflict has been going on for the last forty plus years and yet nothing has came about on how to solve it. If it doesn't have anything to do with the Middle East, Asia, or political mud wrangling. Then it doesn't matter to the mainstream media when it comes to coverage.

Not to mention that some European countries like Denmark, Norway, and Sweden were involved in the Congo War back in the 1960's. You can bet that you won't hear that coming from the media.

posted on Nov, 28 2012 @ 01:36 AM
link   
here's another www.geohive.com...

world bank makes both claims on two different pages.

other pages vary by ten or so millions.

I'm confused because this error seems odd to me. It's never exactly the same error, just very similar.

What are these ghost towns?

Could there really be the type of fudging on a population report of this scale? Surely not but this makes for a strange error.

I'm going to have to dig around this some more later because it's giving me a headache. Nothing makes me want to blow my brains out more than a webpage changing while I'm on it and no way to prove it. Whatever I'm supposed to be doing in this world, I'll be glad when I'm done!

posted on Nov, 28 2012 @ 01:38 AM
link   

Not to downplay anything else you are saying, but 72 millions isn't a huge population. I didn't know Canada had such a tiny population. The US is around 311 million. Anyway.. It wouldn't matter if it was just half a million people, it's a terrible thing and deserves attention.

I can't help but have my mind go to how many of these rapists catch hiv and will die from raping in a place where sex is with strangers is russian roulette, but then.. unfortunately as they rape they spread it further.

posted on Nov, 28 2012 @ 01:46 AM
link   

Ya man this is starting to freak me out

The Ghost towns: China is very, very active in Africa, one of the activities that has garnered the most attention is the building of Huge cities with enough room for millions of people.

Not just one, but 100s of cities....

My logical sense of things tells me that they're for the Chinese workers that will come over from the mainland to work in the oil fields and the mining industry.

But.

To date they remain mostly empty....

SS

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join