Help ATS with a contribution via PayPal:
learn more

Philadelphia: No Love for the Homeless

page: 3
22
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

log in

join

posted on Nov, 24 2012 @ 04:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by Drezden
reply to post by jude11
 


I think that it's a silly rule, however, it's not like these people are going to starve to death because of it. There are abundant shelters that offer meals regularly and other facilities/churches/programs..etc.
Abundant shelters?? That's what YOU think. You sound like a very cold person. If this economy goes down the tube as predicted, maybe you'll get to see what it's like.




posted on Nov, 24 2012 @ 04:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by solarstorm

Originally posted by jude11

Originally posted by solarstorm
Well the Israelis seem to be fed very well, on the backs of the American taxpayer....of course.


Trying to derail to the political agendas overseas?

STOP!

This is about people helping people...at home.

Peace


Your damn right it is. This defunct American government sends billions of dollars every year to Israel, yet we have people starving in the streets? Does anyone not see anything WRONG with this?


What's really funny is you're irritation over the funds USA sends Israel when Israel received the lowest amount of funding of any country. I know the table won't show correctly, but here are the facts (en.wikipedia.org...) p.s., Israel is only 36million vs Afghanistan 4,636 million :


Recipients

Top 25 Recipient Countries of U.S. Foreign Aid FY 2010 Reported in $US millions, Obligations[6]


Country Economic Assistance FY 2010, $US millions Military Assistance FY2010, $US millions

U.S. Total Economic and Military FY2010, $US millions

Aid received per person recipient FY2010, $US

est. ratio of U.S. Aid to official GDP[7]

Economic Aid received per person recipient FY2010, $US

Military Aid received per person recipient FY2010, $US


Afghanistan 4,646.5 6,800.3 11,446.8 393.08 71.9% 159.56 233.52
Pakistan 1,939.6 913.9 2,853.5 15.47 1.6% 10.52 4.95
Israel 36.3 2,799.5 2,835.8 385.62 1.3% 4.94 380.68
Iraq 1,081.9 1,006.0 2,087.9 70.37 2.6% 39.46 33.91
Egypt 397.0 1,301.9 1,698.9 21.11 0.8% 4.93 16.18
Haiti 1,406.3 1.8 1,408.1 145.94 21.5% 145.75 0.19
Ethiopia 981.5 0.3 981.8 11.16 3.3% 11.16 0.00
Sudan 870.9 104.9 975.9 22.21 1.5% 19.82 2.39
Colombia 677.9 185.8 863.7 19.54 0.3% 15.34 4.20
Kenya 816.2 2.5 818.7 20.05 2.5% 19.99 0.06
Jordan 463.3 303.8 767.1 119.72 2.9% 72.31 47.41
Mexico 622.3 96.0 718.2 6.39 0.07% 5.54 0.85
Senegal 698.4 3.7 702.1 56.97 5.5% 56.67 0.30
West Bank/Gaza 693.1 693.1 4.18 10.4%[8] 172.44 0.00
South Africa 566.1 1.6 567.8 11.56 0.2% 11.53 0.03
Tanzania 553.7 20.3 554.8 13.24 2.5% 13.21 0.48
Russia 379.1 126.8 505.9 3.63 0.03% 2.72 0.91
Uganda 451.1 36.3 487.4 14.59 2.8% 13.50 1.09
Nigeria 456.1 2.9 459.0 2.84 0.2% 2.82 0.02
Georgia 420.0 17.8 437.8 95.17 3.8% 91.30 3.87
Mozambique 403.9 0.5 404.4 18.04 4.3% 18.02 0.02
Congo (Kinshasa) 358.9 30.0 388.9 5.57 3.0% 5.14 0.43
Indonesia 312.7 25.4 338.0 1.39 0.05% 1.29 0.10
Zambia 331.4 0.4 331.8 24.65 2.0% 24.62 0.03
Kazakhstan 304.5 17.2 321.7 18.83 0.2% 17.82 1.01



posted on Nov, 24 2012 @ 04:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by Gridrebel

Originally posted by solarstorm

Originally posted by jude11

Originally posted by solarstorm
Well the Israelis seem to be fed very well, on the backs of the American taxpayer....of course.


Trying to derail to the political agendas overseas?

STOP!

This is about people helping people...at home.

Peace


Your damn right it is. This defunct American government sends billions of dollars every year to Israel, yet we have people starving in the streets? Does anyone not see anything WRONG with this?


What's really funny is you're irritation over the funds USA sends Israel when Israel received the lowest amount of funding of any country. I know the table won't show correctly, but here are the facts (en.wikipedia.org...) p.s., Israel is only 36million vs Afghanistan 4,636 million :


Recipients

Top 25 Recipient Countries of U.S. Foreign Aid FY 2010 Reported in $US millions, Obligations[6]


Country Economic Assistance FY 2010, $US millions Military Assistance FY2010, $US millions

U.S. Total Economic and Military FY2010, $US millions

Aid received per person recipient FY2010, $US

est. ratio of U.S. Aid to official GDP[7]

Economic Aid received per person recipient FY2010, $US

Military Aid received per person recipient FY2010, $US


Afghanistan 4,646.5 6,800.3 11,446.8 393.08 71.9% 159.56 233.52
Pakistan 1,939.6 913.9 2,853.5 15.47 1.6% 10.52 4.95
Israel 36.3 2,799.5 2,835.8 385.62 1.3% 4.94 380.68
Iraq 1,081.9 1,006.0 2,087.9 70.37 2.6% 39.46 33.91
Egypt 397.0 1,301.9 1,698.9 21.11 0.8% 4.93 16.18
Haiti 1,406.3 1.8 1,408.1 145.94 21.5% 145.75 0.19
Ethiopia 981.5 0.3 981.8 11.16 3.3% 11.16 0.00
Sudan 870.9 104.9 975.9 22.21 1.5% 19.82 2.39
Colombia 677.9 185.8 863.7 19.54 0.3% 15.34 4.20
Kenya 816.2 2.5 818.7 20.05 2.5% 19.99 0.06
Jordan 463.3 303.8 767.1 119.72 2.9% 72.31 47.41
Mexico 622.3 96.0 718.2 6.39 0.07% 5.54 0.85
Senegal 698.4 3.7 702.1 56.97 5.5% 56.67 0.30
West Bank/Gaza 693.1 693.1 4.18 10.4%[8] 172.44 0.00
South Africa 566.1 1.6 567.8 11.56 0.2% 11.53 0.03
Tanzania 553.7 20.3 554.8 13.24 2.5% 13.21 0.48
Russia 379.1 126.8 505.9 3.63 0.03% 2.72 0.91
Uganda 451.1 36.3 487.4 14.59 2.8% 13.50 1.09
Nigeria 456.1 2.9 459.0 2.84 0.2% 2.82 0.02
Georgia 420.0 17.8 437.8 95.17 3.8% 91.30 3.87
Mozambique 403.9 0.5 404.4 18.04 4.3% 18.02 0.02
Congo (Kinshasa) 358.9 30.0 388.9 5.57 3.0% 5.14 0.43
Indonesia 312.7 25.4 338.0 1.39 0.05% 1.29 0.10
Zambia 331.4 0.4 331.8 24.65 2.0% 24.62 0.03
Kazakhstan 304.5 17.2 321.7 18.83 0.2% 17.82 1.01
We need to help our own, FIRST, and I don't care who's first in line receiving foreign aid, while our own people, AMERICANS, starve. And if this graph is correct, can someone please explain to me why the f^@k are we sending Russia money????



posted on Nov, 24 2012 @ 04:23 PM
link   
There aren't abundant shelters. More people freeze to death than starve to death in the USA, at least that is what I have seen. In most Metropolis areas, there is enough food thrown out that a hungry person can get fed, whether it's through a desirable avenue or not is another story. Many people do die from freezing. The shelters provide 'night' service, and they are usually full during those times. Early in the a.m., you are asked to leave. Where you go from there is anyone's guess. Anywhere in cold locales can kill you, even if you're out of the wind. People huddle together in doorways to stay warm. Some visit a retail store of some sort, if they are allowed in. They huddle under bridges and in alleys in an effort to stay warm. Many many of the homeless are also in need of mental health care, including psych meds. These are the true helpless. Throwing alcohol at it just hides the true chasm of despair, hurt, and need. It's a problem many won't and some can't look at. All the public sees is a fool drunk #ting him/herself when that is just the cover story.



posted on Nov, 24 2012 @ 07:35 PM
link   
reply to post by jude11
 


As for this mayor. What a foolish statement. Has the mayor witnessed every single donation of food? I think not. I find it absurd of him to make such a comment. This particular situation has the potential to be handled easily, mercifully and without risk of legal action. Print out Common Law contracts that recipients of food donations sign. Absolve the donor off all responsibility. Problem solved! No.....wait. I forgot. The homeless folks would still be an eyesore for the tourism industry. We can't have the people with four walls and a roof over their head losing some money. That would be Abysmal.

I agree with your foodkart comment. However, it would never happen. The mayors office would say dumb things like...They(foodkart owners)have a license to make a living. They have paid my beautiful city's extortion fees to make money in my city. Money that I will tax again. My "justice" will be swift if I find out you are doing business with an expired license. Next, I'll make sure the state and federals know what is going on. They need their cut of the pie as well. Our good life is earned off your back if you were not aware.

That business about needing a permit to live in your car......that blew my mind. I'm going to look into that and see which benevolent despots thought that one up.

You are right in your conclusions. These types of situations will continue to get worse and worse for the unfortunate.

reply to post by solarstorm
 



Originally posted by solarstorm
Well the Israelis seem to be fed very well, on the backs of the American taxpayer....of course.


I see your point. All the money that our elected "representatives" feed overseas could be put to much better use here. This goes for all foreign entities that receive money from our federal government....Not only could the homeless receive aid to get back on their feet....Our crumbling infrastructure is another major problem that needs to be addressed. That is a lot of money that could get things done on our soil. Our country. The federals are doing such a great job promoting the general welfare of this country!

The fact is the leaders of this country don't care one iota about the unfortunate. They put on a sideshow for the gullible to have faith in. With that done the federals have almost free reign to do as they wish. Nothing short of a State or National Disaster will get their attention. Even so, I sense their ulterior motives. They cannot very well fix things up for the well off only. That would be far too obvious.

Still, what do you expect? One guy thinks you're a mini-hitler and another thinks you're trying to politicize the issue. Over a fact no less. It's no wonder the common American man & woman get walked over. Most people in this country are too busy yelling, screaming and fighting each other over petty ideological differences to get anything meaningful accomplished on our soil.



posted on Nov, 24 2012 @ 08:33 PM
link   
reply to post by My_Reality
 

Here you are:

“It just basically means you can’t set up a tent. You can’t live in your vehicle. You can’t live in the woods in Nevada City,” he said. That is unless you have a permit. sacramento.cbslocal.com...

And a thread here:
www.abovetopsecret.com...

Peace



posted on Nov, 24 2012 @ 11:19 PM
link   
I think the simplest thing here is the right thing to do.

Ignore the law. Feed whoever you damn well want to.
Who is really gonna enforce this law?

I doubt the cops are going to.
If I got a ticket for giving someone some food, S would HTF



posted on Nov, 24 2012 @ 11:33 PM
link   
Feel free to confirm / deny this, but I read somewhere that some 30% of all Vietnam veterans were homeless in the US...

If true, for shame, America.



posted on Nov, 24 2012 @ 11:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by BeneathBaseStupidity
Feel free to confirm / deny this, but I read somewhere that some 30% of all Vietnam veterans were homeless in the US...

If true, for shame, America.


I can't confirm nor deny but I have "Heard" the same.

If so, I agree with your sentiments.

Peace



posted on Nov, 24 2012 @ 11:51 PM
link   
As another poster said, we are systematically being programmed to devalue human life. We have become so materialistic and self centered that we don't even notice it. In one sense, I cannot blame the people who are coming across so harsh and heartless...they cannot help it...they have been "molded" to be this way.

It is only when we are forced to see our naked natures can we begin to overcome them. Many people cannot look in that mirror. It is far easier to spat a curse at someone who is suffering in poverty than to have empathy for them.

I am not trying to be prophetic here, but I have a gut feeling that we will be hauling the poor, homeless and the sick into concentration camps within the next 10 years. And right now...there is a very big slice of this country...represented right here on these boards...that will be completely ok with that. Out of sight-out of mind. "It will be good for them, they will be fed and sheltered"...but the truth is, they will be slaves...they will be worked to death for nothing but food and shelter...this is where we are heading. Remember Hitler did the very same thing...before he started imprisoning the Gypsies and the Jews. The first thing he did was get rid of the "undesirable" elements of German society.



posted on Nov, 25 2012 @ 12:06 AM
link   
In the Bay Area we have an enormous homelessness problem. It's extremely sad. I grew up in a neighborhood known in the 80s for its poor and homeless. In many people's eyes, the homeless ruin businesses, make cities unattractive, are weak, are responsible for their own poverty, lack initiative, deserve their lot in life, are an annoyance, and are responsible for crime and disease. It's an extremely saddening attitude that I hear almost constantly where I live, especially with newly invigorated regentrification efforts.


The only plus side in my neck of the woods is that we have a lot of fully functioning food distribution centers, blanket and clothing drives for the homeless, and shelters. I would venture to say that surviving on the street is at least more feasible here than in some places. But it's still not enough. Not even close. The problem has not been mitigated since I was a kid, and I'm 31 now.

it only take a few moments to at least offer a kind word and some change to someone who needs it. Yes, there are a lot of people asking for it who may not need it by your standards, but isn't the risk worth the reward of showing some compassion? What if you just changed someone's life, or made their day brighter? Isn't that worth it? I encourage all to consider showing compassion to the homeless in your community, whatever you may currently think of them.

Peace.



posted on Nov, 25 2012 @ 01:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by Jeremiah65


Remember Hitler did the very same thing...before he started imprisoning the Gypsies and the Jews. The first thing he did was get rid of the "undesirable" elements of German society.


exactly, that`s the first thing i thought when i read this thread, that mayor,whether he realizes it or not, is a Natzi



posted on Nov, 25 2012 @ 01:43 AM
link   
reply to post by jude11
 

they did this is las vegas where i live
a city ordnance was passed against feeding the homeless in parks
freedom park was the target
sad
problem solving fail to 99%
another reason to smile for 1%

the 1% think they can produce a perfect society but when the 99% are eliminated...they face 1% mentality only
goodluck to them...not!!!

amazing all this is real and around the corner in progress


edit on 25-11-2012 by lasvegasteddy because: (no reason given)
edit on 25-11-2012 by lasvegasteddy because: (no reason given)



posted on Nov, 25 2012 @ 01:51 AM
link   
I live just outside Philadelphia, and let me tell you, Mayor Nutter is a complete moron. I went through the recruit process for the Philadelphia Police Department, which is roughly a year and a half process. At the second part of the final stage, literally weeks before the academy was to begin, the budget crisis hit and froze everything up.

Nutter, in his infinite wisdom, allocated about half a million dollars to re-pour a sidewalk that was originally poured mixed with a green dye to make the sidewalk green. I would think that money would be better-spent elsewhere.

Also, there's the MILLIONS of dollars he's poured into the "large soft drinks are evil" agenda to limit large soft drinks at restaurants and schools.

Unfortunately, I see Philly going the way of Detroit. Especially with this moron in office.



posted on Nov, 25 2012 @ 01:59 AM
link   
reply to post by solarstorm
 


didn't the guy that's in disguise in the oval office .. just send 80billion to ..

Israel? if so.. you'd think that should have went to .. hmmm.. shall we say.....the homeless .. but meh .. some people will say .. '80billion won't even make a dent to the homeless situation .. it's better to go overseas to help another country ..."



but even still .. Salvation Army got 80billion 5-6 years ago and .. yep .. we still got homeless..



posted on Nov, 25 2012 @ 02:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by smilesmcgee
I think the simplest thing here is the right thing to do.

Ignore the law. Feed whoever you damn well want to.
Who is really gonna enforce this law?

I doubt the cops are going to.
If I got a ticket for giving someone some food, S would HTF


it's already happened ..

like a year ago .. and nothing happened and 20+ people got arrested for not having a permit for handing out sandwiches..



posted on Nov, 25 2012 @ 02:19 AM
link   
reply to post by zroth
 


In 19 words you've expressed the reason why humanity is a failed experiment.

Animals should never be valued above another person's well being.

A pet is a friend but it is not worth more than a human life

honestly ?? i think YOU did it in 9 ... see the bold above.

when we continue to separate ourselves from our environment (including the animals), we've already lost. superiority is a COMPLEX-ity of mental disorders not a state of being.



posted on Nov, 25 2012 @ 02:44 AM
link   
reply to post by My_Reality
 


That business about needing a permit to live in your car......that blew my mind. I'm going to look into that and see which benevolent despots thought that one up

THAT ^^^ is Nevada City thing ... what a heart that guy has

sacramento.cbslocal.com...
Wickham says he’s identified at least 60 homeless in his community, and 500 homeless countywide
at least 60 ppl but only 10 permits ???
what is that about ??
edit on 25-11-2012 by Honor93 because: add link



posted on Nov, 25 2012 @ 04:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by Tardacus

Originally posted by Jeremiah65


Remember Hitler did the very same thing...before he started imprisoning the Gypsies and the Jews. The first thing he did was get rid of the "undesirable" elements of German society.


exactly, that`s the first thing i thought when i read this thread, that mayor,whether he realizes it or not, is a Natzi



He is a worthless greedy unevolved soultrash that deserves whatever karma is coming for him. For the homeless I can find empathy for this small minded fool none. I hope somebody can find empathy for that soul.



posted on Nov, 25 2012 @ 06:51 AM
link   
I think in certain areas being homeless needs to be outright banned for the safety of the people. Enforcing it wouldn't really happen though because they'd smell really awful and leave a bad smell in the police car. I also believe that libraries for example should ban the homeless (or anyone) that is intoxicated, and if a homeless person is mentally unfit to be in a library then the library should have a right to kick them out. I've seen a homeless guy urinate all over himself on a computer chair while he was taking to himself, and another hit me in the back of the head. The guard did nothing other than say "hey, don't do that" an the homeless guy laughed.

It is sad that much of the homeless population are the way they are because they are mentally disabled and unable to cope with society. I know there are some people whom are homeless because of an event in life that lead them there and now they're working their way up and some are even homeless on purpose because they are living a lifestyle that we're not used to, but they enjoy.





new topics

top topics



 
22
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

log in

join