It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why do some men do this?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 19 2012 @ 11:57 AM
link   
I'm hoping some of the fine gentlemen of ATS can help me understand something.

I believe the term for it is "cat calling"??? Whether it's a whistle, a "hey baby" ....you get the idea.

Why do some men partake in this type of behavior?

Do these men think that women like this kind of thing? Do they think it's going to work in their favor?

Is it their way of trying to flatter a woman?

What about the men that are brazen enough to do it while the woman is with their significant other or their children? Why?

The reason I post these questions is because of an event that occurred this weekend that still has me shaking my head a little bit. But, also because this has happened in the past while with my kids and it really makes my oldest son furious and it makes me extremely uncomfortable.

So, this weekend, while with my husband, a car with three or four men inside started whistling at me as we walked by them. My husband completely lost his cool and a fight nearly broke out in the middle of a parking lot.

Thankfully I was able to talk my husband down and reason with him before it got really ugly but, it had all the makings of a potential visit to jail or the hospital considering he was a tad out numbered.

What were these men thinking? Doesn't this type of thing break some sort of "man code" or something?

I realize most men do not behave this way and certainly not the fine men here on ATS
but, can someone please help me understand why some men do?

Thanks!

posted on Nov, 19 2012 @ 12:01 PM
link   
reply to post by MagesticEsoteric

Just chalk it down to typical frat boy type behavior.
There is no reason other than testosterone overload.

And to be honest the guys were being seriously disrespectful if you were with your man.

Cheers for having a guy that will stand up for you.
I hope you gave your hero a little extra.

posted on Nov, 19 2012 @ 12:02 PM
link   
Dunno makes them think they look cool with their friends . Hoping you will drop everything and go bang him . Lack of respect for women and a family . Maybe they think they are giving you a compliment .

+8 more 
posted on Nov, 19 2012 @ 12:02 PM
link   

Why do women flip their hair, bat their eyelashes, lean really close to show off the low scoop on their dress, cross their legs or purse their lips? Why do they wave their hand with that little twinkle of the fingers, or sway as they walk away? Why do they flirt with men and then laugh as the poor idiot dogs them for a couple of weeks, then say they're not interested and chase another guy whose money suddenly catches their eye, and then complain when their looks and behavior get them assaulted like their hot and dangerous behavior was never intended to attract the wrong sorts of people? Women are the most vain and obnoxious people I know. Their wounded soul expresses itself in rebellious and completely unnecessary ways that hurt the men around them because that's where they aim it, because of other people who hurt them years ago and now they're against the penises of the world because they feel like they were owed something, because deep down inside they have a problem with themselves but are too weak or selfish or too scared to admit it and try to find a solution so they end of treating the men like crap, leaving the men confused and horny and wounded and completely unsure how to handle females from that point out, because women are turning into royal ****es and they don't give a damn who they hurt because "Omg, this happened to me 10 years ago and now I have free leave to emotionally rape any person I want to, and if you don't like it screw you!"

If you're confused by men, imagine how we feel about your gender! The antics are positively cruel! I'm not being sexist here, but sometimes I wonder if we've really ever established an understanding of sexual equality. And yes, your post here kind of points in that general direction. Such understandings influence the social behavior of both sides, and the men you encountered, and your reaction to them.

I've never, ever wondered why women do what they do. I just figure they have a personal issue they're too proud to deal with and we're forced to put up with it because they have the vagina and they have the power to make our lives into a living hell. I mean, men have troubles too, but they just deal with it on their own time, and in all honesty, we're just so much more simple. A beer and some adult material or an engaging show, and we're good for the night.

As for women: "What do you think of my friend? Do you think she's pretty? Would you still love me if I was fat?"

Er....hold on, I have to go to the bathroom.
Just kidding!

edit on 19-11-2012 by AfterInfinity because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 19 2012 @ 12:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by grey580

Just chalk it down to typical frat boy type behavior.
There is no reason other than testosterone overload.

And to be honest the guys were being seriously disrespectful if you were with your man.

Cheers for having a guy that will stand up for you.
I hope you gave your hero a little extra.

Yep, that's the thing....doing it while with my husband is what I really don't understand.

My husband is wonderful and I love him very much so, yes he was well taken care of later.

posted on Nov, 19 2012 @ 12:09 PM
link   

Well you see, here lies the problem.

I know plenty of women who enjoy being 'cat called'. Personally I think it's disrespectful and that there are far better ways of getting a women's attention, or providing a compliment.

But not every women hates it, some rather enjoy it.

~Tenth

link   

Originally posted by freedomSlave
Dunno makes them think they look cool with their friends . Hoping you will drop everything and go bang him . Lack of respect for women and a family . Maybe they think they are giving you a compliment .

You know it's funny you mention looking cool with their friends because it does seem to happen in groups rather than just one guy on his own.

link   

it is just part of our nature. I wouldnt even take notice of it. It is just our way of saying you are attractive.

live with it. it is a campliment.

posted on Nov, 19 2012 @ 12:10 PM
link   

Its a group thing... you would never seem them do this alone, i know one friend who does this, or did it when i was around...

im like "dude wtf you doing??"
he was like "what are you gay...?"
i was "that could be her brother or bf"
he was"so what, it not like im doing something to them."

I seen other things "group of men" do as well, like making old people feel miserable.

Men just do it more openly, compared to women.

It just that some are brought up in a way where they think its is okay to do.

posted on Nov, 19 2012 @ 12:11 PM
link   

Yeah usally it a group of guys when one has to act out like this. Shame on the childish person who has to do this to impress his freinds.

posted on Nov, 19 2012 @ 12:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by MagesticEsoteric
I'm hoping some of the fine gentlemen of ATS can help me understand something.

I believe the term for it is "cat calling"??? Whether it's a whistle, a "hey baby" ....you get the idea.

Why do some men partake in this type of behavior?

Do these men think that women like this kind of thing? Do they think it's going to work in their favor?

Is it their way of trying to flatter a woman?

What about the men that are brazen enough to do it while the woman is with their significant other or their children? Why?

The reason I post these questions is because of an event that occurred this weekend that still has me shaking my head a little bit. But, also because this has happened in the past while with my kids and it really makes my oldest son furious and it makes me extremely uncomfortable.

So, this weekend, while with my husband, a car with three or four men inside started whistling at me as we walked by them. My husband completely lost his cool and a fight nearly broke out in the middle of a parking lot.

Thankfully I was able to talk my husband down and reason with him before it got really ugly but, it had all the makings of a potential visit to jail or the hospital considering he was a tad out numbered.

What were these men thinking? Doesn't this type of thing break some sort of "man code" or something?

I realize most men do not behave this way and certainly not the fine men here on ATS
but, can someone please help me understand why some men do?

Thanks!

There is a certain kind of woman out there this works on, I believe the technical term is "Hoes".

posted on Nov, 19 2012 @ 12:15 PM
link   

As a member of the male side of the species, I can honestly tell the reason for this type of behaviuor is. Buggered if I know. I do tend to find that it seems to be the less intelligent part of our gene pool, aparently breaking wind is funny as well . They just seem to go hand in hand, so if you see a guy who laughs when his mate farts. Take a different route.
I hope this helps.
edit on 19-11-2012 by cody599 because: Bad punctuation

posted on Nov, 19 2012 @ 12:16 PM
link   
reply to post by AfterInfinity

Yikes!

I assure you, there was no batting of eyelashes, flipping of the hair or any of the other things you mentioned. I was walking past a car, hand in hand with my husband!

I'm curious as to why a car full of men would do that while with my husband?

posted on Nov, 19 2012 @ 12:17 PM
link   

I could tell you honestly, as it doesnt seem to be very intelligent to me. However i have several friends who do these kinds of things so I will attempt to explain it from my perspective.

Think of it this way, a guy walks into a room, and there are 47 women, no matter what his looks or attitude, chances are at least 1 will be interested. So it is up to the guy to "sift" through them for the "type' he is looking for. ( you know, nothing serious, just a good time and no names)

So by being as ignorant as possible, they are trying to see very quickly if she is this "type" of woman. If she isnt, no problem, move along to the next one, if she is, she will respond accordingly. So it basically breaks down to trying to find the loose women as fast as possible.

posted on Nov, 19 2012 @ 12:18 PM
link   
Humans are scumbags, what else can I say. I was out walking in a park with a girl and a car with four guys rolled up and they told her "Get in the car." Not, "hey miss, want to ditch the nerd and come with us?" They issued her an order. "What's the matter, afraid of black guys?" "No" These guys tried to kill me with their car (the girl and I were on foot). Fortunately she was tiny and I grabbed her up and ran in the woods, and some other motorists came by shortly after and these guys left, but it was clear they were intending to rape my friend. I don't even have many female friends any longer; any time some thug mistreats a lady friend I see red and get to thinking about giving him the Dexter treatment. But once you go down that road you can't come back, so I haven't.

posted on Nov, 19 2012 @ 12:22 PM
link   

I believe it's a result of how they were raised. As a guy who finds such behavior disgusting, I can only say that I was brought up to have respect for people (not just women) and that such behavior is degrading and not befitting a gentleman. Not everyone is raised with the same principles.

As for some of the other arguments here regarding women who enjoy being cat called or display similar behavior, that doesn't excuse the actions of the d-bags the OP is describing. Women who display similar behavior obviously have a lack of self respect, and likely weren't raised by their parents to respect themselves and others (something all too common these days).

Personally, I think there is another aspect to this sort of thing. A major aspect even. The Media! If you flip through the channels on TV these days, it doesn't take long to find this sort of degrading crap glorified on television or in music. Devaluing people as sexual objects (both men and women) seems to be all the rage.

posted on Nov, 19 2012 @ 12:22 PM
link   
I've had women do this to me when I'm out jogging. Usually from a car, with more than one inside.
It's a little embarrassing if a lot of other people are around. With women it's usually a harmless 'woohoo' let's act crazy moment with their friends.
Unfortunately, the men that behave like this to women, tend to be of sad manner and appearance lacking total respect for women, but they sport an ego larger than their tiny brain. They are not worried about their behavior ruining the chance of them actually having a shot at courting such a lovely woman, because they know they never will.
Loser.
edit on 19-11-2012 by Lonewulph because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 19 2012 @ 12:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by tothetenthpower

Well you see, here lies the problem.

I know plenty of women who enjoy being 'cat called'. Personally I think it's disrespectful and that there are far better ways of getting a women's attention, or providing a compliment.

But not every women hates it, some rather enjoy it.

~Tenth

I suppose you're right...If some women enjoy it, more power to 'em!

posted on Nov, 19 2012 @ 12:26 PM
link   
reply to post by Komonazmuk

That's more less what tothetenthpower just pointed out as well. Minus the "hoes" part though.

posted on Nov, 19 2012 @ 12:26 PM
link   
reply to post by jeantherapy

You don't have to worry about coming back from that road. It's long enough that if you walk for a while, you might find it's one giant loop. Just don't be there when people find the bodies.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join