It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why so much "venom" towards people who believe in religion?

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 17 2012 @ 10:14 PM
link   
reply to post by Blahable

Hi OP,

Few questions;

Since you are Christian, you believe aliens look like us? since god created them in his image, aka us?

What do you think about believe in "wrong" god, since there is many religion, younger and older than christianity?

posted on Nov, 17 2012 @ 10:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by windword
reply to post by watchitburn

What, do you suppose, is the mathematical chance of "god" being an alien?

edit on 17-11-2012 by windword because: (no reason given)

I've got this one!

100%

Alien = extraterrestrial. One who does not come from earth. Since god does not come from earth, does not live on earth then, by definition and pure logic, God is an alien. So are the Angels. The saints are not. Jesus is half and half, that makes him a hybrid.

P

edit on 17/11/2012 by pheonix358 because: added one 'n'

posted on Nov, 17 2012 @ 10:29 PM
link   
reply to post by windword

Logic would say say that it would be a 50% chance of a 50% chance.

So 25%. I would guess. Still not anywhere near enough to validate speculation.

posted on Nov, 18 2012 @ 12:34 AM
link   
Because religion is a cult. Religion is an irrational belief re-enforced and justified by numbers. Religion is a means to control people.

You should have said "...towards people who believe in god?" because then you remove the cult, the numbers and the control.

You can't hate someone for believing things. Not really, unless it's more than belief and what they do impacts onto others.

Which is where religion comes in.

Religion deserves to be mocked. It's a sham. And followers of religion are sucked in.

But believers in god, christ, satan, the easter bunny, whatever, are not bad people to be hated.

Unless they rally under a name, attack others, protest against things that do no affect them, or are involved in legislation at a government level, in which case they deserve every bit of attention they garner.

Oh and who said people who believe in aliens don't go around raping children? What an inane thing to say. They don't go around performing heart surgery either.

-
If one person believed in god, he'd be put into an asylum.
If 1 billion people believe in god, they build a church.

edit on 18-11-2012 by winofiend because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 18 2012 @ 02:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by EnochWasRight

Originally posted by ManjushriPrajna
reply to post by EnochWasRight

No offense brother, but I'm not sure what any of that that has to do with the topic at hand.

The OP wanted to search the meaning of Aliens and why we seem to see them in a large universe of stars and planets like ours. I was simply showing the mystery of all mysteries revealed 2000 years ago by the Creator of said universe.

Really? Jesus did not create the Universe.. How can you believe one man created everything in 33 years?

posted on Nov, 18 2012 @ 02:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by DarknStormy

Originally posted by EnochWasRight

reply to post by EnochWasRight

No offense brother, but I'm not sure what any of that that has to do with the topic at hand.

The OP wanted to search the meaning of Aliens and why we seem to see them in a large universe of stars and planets like ours. I was simply showing the mystery of all mysteries revealed 2000 years ago by the Creator of said universe.

Really? Jesus did not create the Universe.. How can you believe one man created everything in 33 years?

Sorry, was not Jesus, it was his dad and he did it in six days. Of course this was before the sun and the earth were created so days didn't exist. Don't let those logic stupidities worry you, it is all about faith without question. Someone will be around shortly to spoon feed you how that all works.

P

posted on Nov, 18 2012 @ 07:10 AM
link   

The ego has a lot to do with it, believe it or not. Whether religious or non-religious, the ego plays a large part in how we treat or react to the beliefs of others. "My god is bigger than your god" sorta thing, or in an atheist's case, "my science is better than your faith."

THISSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS

AND THISSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS

Originally posted by pheonix358
People who believe in Aliens don't often try to convert me to their way of thinking.

Religious zealots on the other hand will denounce me for my beliefs, tell me I am going to hell and the try to convert me via fear tactics and in some places and times by the sword if necessary.

People who believe in Aliens don't suck money from people and countries.

Religion always finds ways of sucking us financially dry.

People who believe in Aliens don't go around killing and maiming others in the name of there religion.

Religions do go around killing and maiming.

People who believe in Aliens don't go around raping little children.

The largest multinational corporations are religions who have a history of raping children and then using their power and position to avoid the justice system.

Back to you OP.

P

Go hand and hand with each other.

Back to you ignorant, my opinion is better than yours "P"

posted on Nov, 18 2012 @ 07:15 AM
link   
reply to post by pheonix358

Since you are better than everyone elsssssssssssssse on this plaaaaaaaaaaaanet, please provide us the proof God doesn't exist and aliens do.

Im a firm believer in both but please by all means, slap the irrefutable proof for both of these down on the table. Put the rest this argument that has plagued the world for ages. God vs Atheism...Life in the universe vs no life. Come on now, lets read what the big man's got.

And no, no one is going to feed you nothing since you know everything.

edit on 18-11-2012 by johngrissom because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 18 2012 @ 07:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by JohnnyCanuck

I have no venom towards those who believe in religion. What grits in my craw is exemplified by a recent thread on ATS, whereby intelligent discourse was being derailed by a poster whose idea of discussion was to smugly quote scripture as though it was equivalent to a thought process.

Well, and all the bad stuff, too...but this makes me nuts!

You guys act the exact same way though. The hatred and bigotry you all display towards Christians is getting pretty disgusting and main stream. Every time I watch a downloaded TV show they're trashing Christians and making them out to be sub human almost. Its a bit frightening.

I say this as a non-religious agnostic.
edit on 18-11-2012 by PvtHudson because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 18 2012 @ 07:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by winofiend
Because religion is a cult. Religion is an irrational belief re-enforced and justified by numbers. Religion is a means to control people.

You should have said "...towards people who believe in god?" because then you remove the cult, the numbers and the control.

You can't hate someone for believing things. Not really, unless it's more than belief and what they do impacts onto others.

Which is where religion comes in.

Religion deserves to be mocked. It's a sham. And followers of religion are sucked in.

But believers in god, christ, satan, the easter bunny, whatever, are not bad people to be hated.

Unless they rally under a name, attack others, protest against things that do no affect them, or are involved in legislation at a government level, in which case they deserve every bit of attention they garner.

Oh and who said people who believe in aliens don't go around raping children? What an inane thing to say. They don't go around performing heart surgery either.

-
If one person believed in god, he'd be put into an asylum.
If 1 billion people believe in god, they build a church.

edit on 18-11-2012 by winofiend because: (no reason given)

Says the guy to religion and religion has been around for however long life has been on the planet.

Oh and Im pretty sure, if aliens exist, alien abductions anyone?

posted on Nov, 18 2012 @ 09:07 AM
link   

My discontent comes from the lack of integrity that is inherently involved in worshiping a being that is so obviously undeserving of it.

Hold on, I have a quote that expresses my feelings quite eloquently:

If your beliefs are true then god created evil, set evil free, and creates life that will succumb to evil so he can damn the seduced to burn forever or burn a while then become nonexistant.

screw that god

I dont surround myself with lunatics why would I bow to one?

If your Bible is to be taken as entirely accurate, then the above is a fairly succinct summary. With that taken into consideration, I really don't care to give my soul to such a being. My "venom", as you call it, comes from my disbelief and disgust that anyone would be willing to do otherwise just to assuage their fears or avoid the hardship of discovering and understanding the more complex answers in the universe.

Sorry, but that's my honest opinion.

posted on Nov, 18 2012 @ 10:02 AM
link   

First off, You cannot compare the two. Aliens would be just beings that have evolved. Just like people. God on the other hand is something entirely different. And i have not seen a war waged over aliens yet. But it seems god is the root of most dispute and wars. So if you ask me why people are so hateful, That is a very good reason. And the fact that most people go by the new testament, just goes to show how written text can be taken seriously.

And people who don't believe in god are tired of it being shoved down our throats day in and day out. It is deeply rooted in our politics as well. I don't go around and preach that god is not real, I don't care what you believe in, Just don't force it on me. I don't need to believe in something just because it promotes fear and tries to reform me so i will obey. I am gonna end it with that because it really is upsetting that believers in god think everyone else is bad and is going to hell. In my opinion, Rid the world of god and we may be able to evolve naturally and without false influences. Personal belief is great, Just keep it to yourselves. Because i really don't want to hear about it anymore.

posted on Nov, 18 2012 @ 10:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by PvtHudson
You guys act the exact same way though. The hatred and bigotry you all display towards Christians is getting pretty disgusting and main stream.
You guys? You guys! You'd better cite me, or quit speaking in such broad generalities...which is kinda the basis for this thread, right? Look at it this way - any group that allows itself to be defined by its lunatic fringe ought not to whine. Muslims are always called upon to dissociate themselves from the nutters. Perhaps the broader Christian community should do the same. Bottom line? All Fundies are tiresome (thus fair game).

posted on Nov, 18 2012 @ 10:58 AM
link   
reply to post by PvtHudson

You know, some of the churches I've seen act like a Metallica concert without the bad music. Humans are capable of losing control.

posted on Nov, 18 2012 @ 11:01 AM
link   
"Why so much "venom" towards people who believe in religion?"

I. Don't. Like. Being. Lied. To.

posted on Nov, 18 2012 @ 11:23 AM
link   
I think many people have such a volatile reaction to religion because of the overwhelming amount criticism being dished by religious zealots everywhere. If someone is asked about their spiritual beliefs and answers, "I have none," more often than not they are met with criticism and attempts to "fix" their views. I am friends with a variety of people from all ends of the spiritual spectrum, but this list was whittled down to exclude zealots of any kind. Only people who can discuss the topics without large amounts of hateful and ignorant rhetoric are counted among my friends.

As far as proof goes... IMHO the proof for U.F.O.s is being documented daily. We have many videos and pictures that have been verified as "unidentifiable" while proof of Biblical claims of deities and miracles are only in the Bible. This "proof" is a couple thousand years old and doesn't stand up very well to the scientific process. Thats just my .02 though.

posted on Nov, 18 2012 @ 11:25 AM
link   
Have you ever seen a redeemed tobacco smoker preach the evil of tobacco? I certainly have and it is understandable. Those that quit, quite often become apologists for the secular righteousness of a non tobacco life. Humans want to help other humans and proselytize, promoting the virtues of a tobacco free life. This is part of the quitting tobacco process and we should all support the ex smoker, while he adjusts.
Religion is much the same because most of us were born into some form of religion and later discovered that we had the wool pulled over our eyes. Many are really pissed about the deception and it's intended mind control. These people also have to go through a period of adjustment like the new non smoker. Eventually we just get over our unfortunate past situation and it fades into oblivion.
Many are waking up today and most find out about the religion thing and must go through a transition period. Let them vent; it is a way of supporting them in their new found freedom. Be kind and generous. Religion like smoking is a dumb practice and many that abandon them feel somewhat embarrassed that they were ever taken in by such a negative thing. The simple truth is, you don't get it until you get it and it is that way for everyone. Be at peace. All is well,always was and always will be.

posted on Nov, 18 2012 @ 11:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by AfterInfinity
reply to post by PvtHudson

You know, some of the churches I've seen act like a Metallica concert without the bad music. Humans are capable of losing control.

You mean, like this?

posted on Nov, 18 2012 @ 01:21 PM
link   
reply to post by rollsthepaul

I never thought about it that way. That's an amazing way of looking at things. Having decided only 1 or 2 years ago that I don't believe in a religion, I found myself lashing out for any perceived "wrong doing" on the part of a christian. A couple of years later, I am less hostile and more understanding when confronted with adversity.

You really made me think! Thank you!

posted on Nov, 18 2012 @ 01:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by Blahable
The two subjects do not intersect in my world.
Meaning I do not believe Aliens, are angels, demons, god or any other religious entity. They are two separate discussions.
I think it's pretty obvious we are not alone in universe.

How do they not intersect? They would have to be the same conversation. If your "God" created the universe, then he must have also created Aliens. Therefore they are connected and could be discussed together. I'm not sure about how your religion works but something tells me that you can't just pick and chose what parts of the story you believe in. Either you trust the authors of the bible or you don't.

I am not religious and do not believe in a god. Once upon a time, I listened to adults and went against my better judgment and believed in something that didn't make sense. Little to find out that Santa wasn't really and couldn't fly around the world in one night. Fool me once, shame on you. You won't fool me again by telling me something created this planet and everything in it in 6 days.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join