It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why so much "venom" towards people who believe in religion?

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 17 2012 @ 08:57 PM
link   
Hello Everyone! This is my first "serious discussion" type of topic.

First of all, I think it would be fair to admit that I am a Christian, I believe in God/Jesus.
I also believe in Aliens. The two subjects do not intersect in my world.
Meaning I do not believe Aliens, are angels, demons, god or any other religious entity. They are two separate discussions.
I think it's pretty obvious we are not alone in universe.

Ok to the point of why I am making this topic.
I see a lot of venom coming from those who believe in Aliens and describe themselves as atheist. It seems the pattern is if a person has any sort of skeptical view on anything in the field of ufology, you are determined by others as a religious nutjob/fanatic.. blah blah..

I have yet to see many who say, that the reason that they don't believe in aliens is because of their religion. Few (that I know of ) actually call aliens, "demons." Those few obviously don't speak for everyone who has a religion.

In my opinion the two subjects are both based on FAITH and BELIEF.
Both are basically supported by Books, and TV Shows.

- The Bible, Religous text.
-Claims of religous contact. Miracles, Visions, Going to Heaven/Hell after a near death experience, sightings etc.
- Some things that people who have interpreted in from ancient times

- The multiple books of ufology
- Claims of Alien Contact, Alien Abduction involving sexual, healing illness, UFO Sightings, visions of the future etc.
--Something interesting that I have noticed, some of those who have claimed to have contact with aliens have said alien have a religion.

--same with TV Shows.
-- Some things that people who have interpreted in from ancient times

One can say both have extremely limited proof.
Some say they believe in creatures with amazing powers and technology who can communicate telepathically, can turn invisible, can abduct people out of their beds through their walls all without anyone noticing. Some believe aliens created man.

Some say they believe in God and angels, with amazing powers, who created man (if not everything). who can perform miracles, (maybe do much of the same things that aliens can do).

Now to someone who is a outsider to both topics. (UFOLOGY and Religion) they probably would say ..."What a load BULL. These people are nuts."

It comes down to WHAT YOU WANT TO BELIEVE (OR WHAT YOU WANT TO KNOW). It seems that some believe that a person must believe in one or the other.

Personally if aliens ever did make contact I seriously doubt they would care what religion we are.
Either they will be here to kill us, or help us.

Not directed at anyone specific. Just a observation I have made throughout my years on the net.
Just a opinion.

posted on Nov, 17 2012 @ 09:06 PM
link   
reply to post by Blahable

The ego has a lot to do with it, believe it or not. Whether religious or non-religious, the ego plays a large part in how we treat or react to the beliefs of others. "My god is bigger than your god" sorta thing, or in an atheist's case, "my science is better than your faith."

posted on Nov, 17 2012 @ 09:07 PM
link   
People who believe in Aliens don't often try to convert me to their way of thinking.

Religious zealots on the other hand will denounce me for my beliefs, tell me I am going to hell and the try to convert me via fear tactics and in some places and times by the sword if necessary.

People who believe in Aliens don't suck money from people and countries.

Religion always finds ways of sucking us financially dry.

People who believe in Aliens don't go around killing and maiming others in the name of there religion.

Religions do go around killing and maiming.

People who believe in Aliens don't go around raping little children.

The largest multinational corporations are religions who have a history of raping children and then using their power and position to avoid the justice system.

Back to you OP.

P

posted on Nov, 17 2012 @ 09:07 PM
link   
You say "Both are based on faith"
See the link in my sigy!

posted on Nov, 17 2012 @ 09:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by pheonix358
People who believe in Aliens don't often try to convert me to their way of thinking.

Religious zealots on the other hand will denounce me for my beliefs, tell me I am going to hell and the try to convert me via fear tactics and in some places and times by the sword if necessary.

People who believe in Aliens don't go around killing and maiming others in the name of there religion.

The largest multinational corporations are religions who have a history of raping children and then using their power and position to avoid the justice system.

Back to you OP.

P

Well said

posted on Nov, 17 2012 @ 09:11 PM
link   
"Why so much "venom" towards people who believe in religion?"

Because in all of history belief in aliens has never been forced upon people upon pain of death, no women have been murdered, burned, stoned and abused because of belief in aliens, no wars or genocide have been caused by belief in aliens and people who believe in aliens generally don't preach about it to everybody with a sanctimonious sense of superiority, endlessly quoting self serving so called scrupulously vague and edited 'holy words'.

That's why.

posted on Nov, 17 2012 @ 09:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by pheonix358

Back to you OP.

P

Excuse me...you have valid points, but ummm don't some of these same people believe in "aliens"?

posted on Nov, 17 2012 @ 09:13 PM
link   

I have seen plenty of venom coming from the other direction.

posted on Nov, 17 2012 @ 09:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by ManjushriPrajna

The ego has a lot to do with it, believe it or not. Whether religious or non-religious, the ego plays a large part in how we treat or react to the beliefs of others. "My god is bigger than your god" sorta thing, or in an atheist's case, "my science is better than your faith."

Believe it or not once i got my ego and upbringing out of the way......I was even more shocked!

posted on Nov, 17 2012 @ 09:14 PM
link   

Hello Everyone! This is my first "serious discussion" type of topic.

First of all, I think it would be fair to admit that I am a Christian, I believe in God/Jesus.
I also believe in Aliens. The two subjects do not intersect in my world.
Meaning I do not believe Aliens, are angels, demons, god or any other religious entity. They are two separate discussions.
I think it's pretty obvious we are not alone in universe.

Ephesians 2

4 But because of his great love for us, God, who is rich in mercy, 5 made us alive with Christ even when we were dead in transgressions—it is by grace you have been saved. 6 And God raised us up with Christ and seated us with him in the heavenly realms in Christ Jesus, 7 in order that in the coming ages he might show the incomparable riches of his grace, expressed in his kindness to us in Christ Jesus. 8 For it is by grace you have been saved, through faith—and this is not from yourselves, it is the gift of God— 9 not by works, so that no one can boast. 10 For we are God’s handiwork, created in Christ Jesus to do good works, which God prepared in advance for us to do.

First of all, there are heavenly realms. What are in these realms?

Ephesians 3 - Mystery Revealed

7 I became a servant of this gospel by the gift of God’s grace given me through the working of his power. 8 Although I am less than the least of all the Lord’s people, this grace was given me: to preach to the Gentiles the boundless riches of Christ, 9 and to make plain to everyone the administration of this mystery, which for ages past was kept hidden in God, who created all things. 10 His intent was that now, through the church, the manifold wisdom of God should be made known to the rulers and authorities in the heavenly realms, 11 according to his eternal purpose that he accomplished in Christ Jesus our Lord. 12 In him and through faith in him we may approach God with freedom and confidence. 13 I ask you, therefore, not to be discouraged because of my sufferings for you, which are your glory.

A Prayer for the Ephesians

14 For this reason I kneel before the Father, 15 from whom every family in heaven and on earth derives its name.

In those heavenly realms reside families. Aliens are naturally part of what God has made in other realms. Our job is to proclaim and administer this mystery to those realms. What God is doing here for us will be sent out as a witness.

Deuteronomy 4

19 And when you look up to the sky and see the sun, the moon and the stars—all the heavenly array—do not be enticed into bowing down to them and worshiping things the Lord your God has apportioned to all the nations under heaven. 20 But as for you, the Lord took you and brought you out of the iron-smelting furnace, out of Egypt, to be the people of his inheritance, as you now are.

Egypt is Earth. We are to come out of Egypt. It is a refinery. What do we inherit?

10 When the Lord your God brings you into the land he swore to your fathers, to Abraham, Isaac and Jacob, to give you—a land with large, flourishing cities you did not build, 11 houses filled with all kinds of good things you did not provide, wells you did not dig, and vineyards and olive groves you did not plant—then when you eat and are satisfied, 12 be careful that you do not forget the Lord, who brought you out of Egypt, out of the land of slavery.

As noted with Moses, we must cross a wilderness to get to the promised land.

posted on Nov, 17 2012 @ 09:16 PM
link   
reply to post by EnochWasRight

No offense brother, but I'm not sure what any of that that has to do with the topic at hand.

posted on Nov, 17 2012 @ 09:17 PM
link   
Some of the religious are the venemous ones. Maybe everyone should just keep their religious opinions to themselves and people can stop fighting simultaneously worldwide,,fighting over metaphors and parables. SERIOUSLY, the scribes never even knew jesus(or the savior of your choice), nothing was written about jesus until over a hundred years after his death,,so basically religious people beleive that over 2000 years ago, there were "special" "psychic" sandpeople who could write stories of what jesus had said over 100 years earlier, word for word ??? cmon seriously ?
edit on 17-11-2012 by jazztrance because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 17 2012 @ 09:20 PM
link   

I have no venom towards those who believe in religion. What grits in my craw is exemplified by a recent thread on ATS, whereby intelligent discourse was being derailed by a poster whose idea of discussion was to smugly quote scripture as though it was equivalent to a thought process.

Well, and all the bad stuff, too...but this makes me nuts!

posted on Nov, 17 2012 @ 09:20 PM
link   

Well

Based on the size of the universe, and what we know of it so far. It would be absurd to think we are the only form of intelligent life that exists. It pretty much comes down to math and odds. Which requires no type of belief system.

On the other hand, there is no reproducible, verifiable evidence of a god.

And as has been stated, scientist don't go around committing genocide to force their facts on people.

posted on Nov, 17 2012 @ 09:24 PM
link   
Oh yes, God is good! Very good.

He obliterated Sodom and Gomera. Turned a women into a pillar of salt. Uses bio warfare to bring plaques and death. Kills the first born son of every family including innocent babies. Not forgetting his atrocious record in animal cruelty ie killing almost every living thing on Earth via The Flood. Instructs his armies to kill, kill and then kill some more. (oh, take the virgin girls home with you, wink wink)

Great track record.

But he is good.

Yes God is good, at wiping out the opposing point of view.

Aliens, not so much except in the movies.

P

edit on 17/11/2012 by pheonix358 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 17 2012 @ 09:27 PM
link   

Much like you I believe in God and Aliens but I differ because I don't separate the two. I use to but the older I've become I find myself able to simplify reality around me. I asked myself why isn't God and Angels not Alien? If you're not from Earth then you aren't terrestrial to Earth. That makes you Alien does it not?

Don't let the word "Alien" and it's horrible association to little green men throw you off from what Alien really means. It simply means that you aren't from around here. In reality God isn't from around here and neither are Angels.

posted on Nov, 17 2012 @ 09:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by ManjushriPrajna
reply to post by EnochWasRight

No offense brother, but I'm not sure what any of that that has to do with the topic at hand.

The OP wanted to search the meaning of Aliens and why we seem to see them in a large universe of stars and planets like ours. I was simply showing the mystery of all mysteries revealed 2000 years ago by the Creator of said universe.

posted on Nov, 17 2012 @ 09:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by watchitburn

Well

On the other hand, there is no reproducible, verifiable evidence of a god.

My point exactly there is also no reproducible verifiable proof that aliens are visiting earth, other then claims, questionable low on details photos and videos, books, and tv shows.

Out of the billions of planets, and billions of galaxies, they chose earth to visit....
There is also no proof they are peaceful, I'm not saying they aren't but eh where is the proof.

posted on Nov, 17 2012 @ 10:03 PM
link   

You conveniently ignored the rest of my post.

It is a mathematical certainty that aliens exist.
I have never seen one, so I cannot speak to the possibility that they have visited Earth. But that really has no bearing on whether or not they are real.

As opposed to any math supporting the existence of a god. That would be pure chance, 50/50. That does not hold water.

posted on Nov, 17 2012 @ 10:11 PM
link   
reply to post by watchitburn

What, do you suppose, is the mathematical chance of "god" being an alien?

edit on 17-11-2012 by windword because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join