It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What decade would you live in if you had the choice?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 15 2012 @ 07:04 AM
link   
If you could choose a decade to live in at the same age you are now with your family and friends all being the same people which one would you choose?

Mine would be the 1950s. I like how most families stayed together back then. Men acted like men and women acted like ladies. Kids had abundant attention. People took pride in appearance and hard work. I do my hair and makeup in a 1950's style and I'm getting a sewing machine to make my own 1950s style dresses. I feel like I'm more motivated to be the person I want to be when I look the part.

So, If you could, which decade or even century would you choose and why?
Would people that know you be able to tell that it's your time period of choice?
edit on 15-11-2012 by Ireminisce because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 15 2012 @ 07:17 AM
link   
reply to post by Ireminisce

Ahh.........that would be 30AD so I could come back and argue here on ATS about weather the big J actually said the things he said!

(or weather he existed at all - cue evil laugh)

edit on 15-11-2012 by Sublimecraft because: 30AD - not 1AD

posted on Nov, 15 2012 @ 07:30 AM
link   
Fun topic!

Well, I can think of pros and cons for every time period so I would probably just stick with now. Can we choose a decade in the future? That might be something I would choose because I often feel a bit sad at the things I probably won't live to see.

posted on Nov, 15 2012 @ 07:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by Ireminisce
If you could choose a decade to live in at the same age you are now with your family and friends all being the same people which one would you choose?

Mine would be the 1950s. I like how most families stayed together back then. Men acted like men and women acted like ladies. Kids had abundant attention. People took pride in appearance and hard work. I do my hair and makeup in a 1950's style and I'm getting a sewing machine to make my own 1950s style dresses. I feel like I'm more motivated to be the person I want to be when I look the part.

Would people that know you be able to tell that it's your time period of choice?

I would also live around the 1950s, I completely understand what you mean, I just turned 21 years old & i grew up around old classical men like my grandpa, I've really grown a liking towards the 1950s slick class style look during the time Men's mannerism where more gentlemen style etc.. not to say we don't have that these days..

posted on Nov, 15 2012 @ 08:04 AM
link   
Id be born in the 70's, be a teenager in the 80's and in my 20's in the 90's.

2K has sucked for the most part. I feel for the young'uns of today.

posted on Nov, 15 2012 @ 08:12 AM
link   
The 1910's... so I could stop those fools from enacting the Federal Reserve system.

posted on Nov, 15 2012 @ 08:15 AM
link   

Bettin' you love happy days ?

I'm enjoying moving forward and embracing the positive changes. Fun topic ..

posted on Nov, 15 2012 @ 08:20 AM
link   

Great thread! I've often thought of the same thing. I too would choose the 50's for most of the reasons you list. I would take this idea a step farther though. What if you could do this keeping all the knowledge that you have now. What would you do? Think of all the ideas that would not have been invented yet. Would you get into the beginnings of computers? Write books that haven't been written yet? Movies? Music? Invent the next fad or craze? Would you be able to assimilate with the people and culture of the 50's? It is a very intriguing proposition. S&F!

posted on Nov, 15 2012 @ 08:23 AM
link   
reply to post by mikeone718

Yea, me too. My kids are 2 and 5, and I can't imagine what they'll be into as teens. I can picture them saying "But moooommmm, everyone is cutting off their hand and replacing it with a hook!"

posted on Nov, 15 2012 @ 08:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by jtrenthacker

Great thread! I've often thought of the same thing. I too would choose the 50's for most of the reasons you list. I would take this idea a step farther though. What if you could do this keeping all the knowledge that you have now. What would you do? Think of all the ideas that would not have been invented yet. Would you get into the beginnings of computers? Write books that haven't been written yet? Movies? Music? Invent the next fad or craze? Would you be able to assimilate with the people and culture of the 50's? It is a very intriguing proposition. S&F!

Taking all that knowledge with you, you'd have to be careful not to appear crazy. It would be nice if my husband remembered the future too, so we could talk about it with each other.

I'm sure I'd benefit from my knowledge of modern science regarding health. I'd eat better than they did back then, and warn my kids about AIDS. I'd also make sure I saw Elvis in concert.

posted on Nov, 15 2012 @ 09:09 AM
link   
5000B.C.

I think I'd prefer to live with a life expectancy of 30 but without the pressure of civilisation. Just needing to look after myself and my family off of local resources.

posted on Nov, 15 2012 @ 09:12 AM
link   
If i was American then yes, 1950's or 60's. However, as a Brit, those decades sucked. Forget free love, etc. Over here it was all about rationing after the war (still) until the late 1950's, even for sweets. Everything destroyed and rubble everywhere, with nothing at all to do.

So, if in the UK, i am thinking 58BC so i can warn them about Caesar and that that particular invasion is only the start - get the defences manned and stay independent!

posted on Nov, 15 2012 @ 09:17 AM
link   
Id be born on 1900 or 1899... Somewhere around then.
I'd go hang out with Ernest Hemingway.

posted on Nov, 15 2012 @ 05:38 PM
link   

If you could choose a decade to live in at the same age you are now with your family and friends all being the same people which one would you choose? Mine would be the 1950s. I like how most families stayed together back then. Men acted like men and women acted like ladies. Kids had abundant attention. People took pride in appearance and hard work. I do my hair and makeup in a 1950's style and I'm getting a sewing machine to make my own 1950s style dresses. I feel like I'm more motivated to be the person I want to be when I look the part. So, If you could, which decade or even century would you choose and why? Would people that know you be able to tell that it's your time period of choice? edit on 15-11-2012 by Ireminisce because: (no reason given)

S/F for a gr8 thread. I would go with the fifties. Just early enough to get me ready for the sixties and Hendrix, Doors, Zep etc. I would buy a couple dozen cars and get ready for the heavy weight champ Ali

posted on Nov, 15 2012 @ 09:35 PM
link   
reply to post by CherubBaby

The 60s would be fun...then again I might just stay in the 50s. Oh yea, I'm adding the power to just stay in that decade btw. lol. Right between WW2 and Vietnam.

top topics

join