It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Discrimination and Stereotypes

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 21 2004 @ 07:02 AM
link   
I'll give you something to rant about. Stereotypes against teenagers. Common Stereotypes:

1. We call everyone "bro."
2. If you say pussy cat, we'll think not of the cat, but of female anatomy.
3. We are sexually obscure.
4. We are desperate for any kind of intimate contact.
5. We wear baggy pants, and wear chains.
6. Our grammar sucks.
7. Our spelling sucks.
8. We do nothing but talk about relationships all day long.
9. We like to watch others suffer.
10. We do ourselves fifteen times a day.
11. We call each other "dawg."
12. We all listen to rap.
13. We idolize Eminem.
14. We all do drugs.
15. We vandalize property.
16. We "check out" the opposite gender every five seconds.
17. We measure our penis size inbetween classes.
18. We dream of setting up a band and "Hittin' it hard, yo."
19. We can't take any responsibility.
20. Our tempers blow up unpredictably.

All these are applicable to certain members of my age group. It's not true for all of us. I join an online mod for Call of Duty. I set up interviews and mingle with the community in general. The leader then jokes about how I'm doing more work than anyone in the team. He asks how old I am, I tell him the truth, and I promptly get booted from the IRC channel, banned from the forums, and an announcement was put up, saying I had tried to mutiny.

Is this fair? Is this what you would do? I wasn't making innappropriate remarks, I wasn't refrencing how many "rlly hawt gfs" I've had, I wasn't parroting rap phrases, I wasn't calling anyone "bro." Hell, my grammar was even impeccable. I hadn't talked about my personal life. What was wrong with them? I was congradulated for everything I've done, then promptly removed for being thirteen.

What's my point? You all are discriminating assholes. The above example is only a small sample of what I've experienced. You know what? Bring it on. I'm gonna prove to every single damn one of you that we the the potential to be equally intelligent as an adult. You just watch it.

Edit: Title fixed

[Edited on 21-10-2004 by waternorth]

posted on Oct, 21 2004 @ 07:04 AM
link   
P.u.s.s.y cat was edited out? Lame.

posted on Oct, 21 2004 @ 08:58 AM
link   
The problem with these stereotypes is that most of them are true. Teenagers just love to portray these. I'm 17, and when I found out there are VERY MANY teens who don't know our vice presidents name...I was scared. I'm scared that I'm considered SMART for knowing the vice presidents name, or being able to interpret an artical. It's a scary world sometimes...

posted on Oct, 22 2004 @ 05:10 AM
link   
Yes, I acknoledge that they are all true, but do not apply to every single one of us.

posted on Oct, 22 2004 @ 06:27 AM
link   
I've never even heard of half of these stereotyes for youngin's and certainly don't think them, it must be an American thing. I just believe that most of todays youth are scumbags is all.

[Edited on 22-10-2004 by John Nada]

posted on Oct, 22 2004 @ 07:49 AM
link   
Waternorth

You are right, in the fact that most people think thoses things are true, and apply to most teens. But here at ATS, we try to deny stereotypes and prejudices. But I hope ranting this off your shoulders made you feel better, I know what you're going thru.

posted on Nov, 25 2004 @ 02:26 AM
link   
Well, Waternorth you can blame most of that on me. I made a bad name for us teenagers plenty of times. Being 17 now I look back and think, man I was really retarted but. You know what I think about people who dont like me? Screw em lol, if they think him not worth their time, they can get the hell on lol... And same to the rest of you pricks

[Edited on 25-11-2004 by Richardo]

posted on Nov, 30 2004 @ 05:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by waternorth
Yes, I acknoledge that they are all true, but do not apply to every single one of us.

exactly.

im 19

i dont listen to rap

i think M&M should have a cap busted in his ass.

although i do check out the ladies alot. i cant help it they are just so good looking

posted on Dec, 7 2004 @ 03:15 PM
link   
I feel yo pain dawg.....lol

Looking back on who I used to be when I was 15...17...19....I was all over the charts - I'd be defensive just like you're being now and then I'd be in the middle of it all doing the things I said I'd never do....

And looking back on all this at the mere age of 22? When I'm 30 I'll be saying to myself, God I was such an idiot when I was 22, and so on and so forth....lol

Being a teenager isn't so much about finding out who you are - That comes a little later....It's really more about experiencing things and enjoying yourself before things really start to take a radical shift....Like moving away from home...Sounds simple, but it really does change how you look at things...

So I say keep it up - I don't judge every book by its cover, but I do think I have a good grasp on which shelve certain books belong just by looking at their spine....

posted on Dec, 7 2004 @ 03:40 PM
link   
lol..I was one of those teens that looked at all the others and accused them as if I was their grandparents....I took the stick out my tail when I was about 19.

posted on Dec, 7 2004 @ 05:52 PM
link   
You forgot to add that you all hate taking showers

AND you spit in the pizza sauce if you work at a little cesar's....

or hamburgers at burger king...

posted on Dec, 7 2004 @ 06:20 PM
link   
before destroying it.

1. Teenagers are passive unthinking consumers easily manipulated by brand marketing.

2. Teenagers send text massages* all day long for some sense of contact and belonging. They suffer withdrawal symptoms when they cannot text. No matter what they are doing, if they receive a text message they must drop everything to respond.

3. Teenagers know more about computer games and the anatomy of their gadgets than they do about the anatomy of their own or the opposite gender.

4. Teenagers are unhappy.

* LOL. Messages, that is.

[edit on 7-12-2004 by MaskedAvatar]

posted on Dec, 7 2004 @ 06:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by MaskedAvatar
before destroying it.

1. Teenagers are passive unthinking consumers easily manipulated by brand marketing.

2. Teenagers send text massages all day long for some sense of contact and belonging. They suffer withdrawal symptoms when they cannot text. No matter what they are doing, if they receive a text message they must drop everything to respond.

3. Teenagers know more about computer games and the anatomy of their gadgets than they do about the anatomy of their own or the opposite gender.

4. Teenagers are unhappy.

God how I'd love to be a teen again

PS: I know some *ahem* adults who fall into the 1-4 you mentioned.

[edit on 12/7/04 by magestica]

posted on Dec, 31 2004 @ 03:11 AM
link   
Oh thank God im not the only one who did number 17

top topics

join